Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

This is an excellent reason, lol. I guess it's more elegant than an arbitrary life cap or something

Yeah, when I came back a while ago to find that nobody was talking about Uril as a terror, I knew the format had matured a lot since I left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chakan posted:

Yeah, when I came back a while ago to find that nobody was talking about Uril as a terror, I knew the format had matured a lot since I left.

Those were the days. Hexproof wasn't even keyworded yet.

edit: Also

April 2020 Rules Update posted:

Speaking of exceptional decisions, we are banning Flash (the card, not the mechanic). Enough cEDH players who we trust have convinced us that it is the only change they need for the environment they seek to cultivate.

I mean, maybe they're lying, but that seems like an extremely low profit lie. I forget if this is before of after the Spike Feeders guy was added to the CAG.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 29, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

edit: Also

I mean, maybe they're lying, but that seems like an extremely low profit lie. I forget if this is before of after the Spike Feeders guy was added to the CAG.

Yes. That was over 2 years ago, and Flash was broken. Not just annoying and homogenizing the meta, broken. Times have changed. Dockside and Thoracle were both very new cards at the time of Flash's ban, and since then have become the focus of the meta, especially as more cards come out to facilitate abusing them. You're either looking to exploit these cards or looking to stop people from doing so. This isn't a matter of cards being overpowered, they're not that hard to interact with. It's a matter of having to expect to be prepared to see those cards at any given game at any given table. It's boring, and it stifles creativity. When the best logical option to win the game is so compact and easy to execute and fits in so many decks, the only logical choice is to use those cards. You don't have to, obviously, but choosing not to is a choice to intentionally make your deck worse, which conflicts with the cEDH philosophy of making the most optimal choices. Much like how the banning of Golos and Iona primarily affected casual EDH, Dockside and Thoracle are more problematic in cEDH and aren't so much of a concern to the RC for that reason.

But yeah, it's way easier to say they're lying or making implications of malice or stupidity, instead of making the effort to understand the context and nuance to the situation.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I said cEDH players asked the RC for a Flash ban and it was all that was needed. I was told that didn't happen. I provided the RC attesting that had, in fact, happened. Beyond that, I'm not honestly that bothered. Thoracle is like Worldfire where the upside of leaving it unbanned is super low for cEDH and for real EDH, but then again they unbanned Worldfire so :shrug: chaos world I guess.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Unban Sylvan Primordial and Prophet of Kruphix, Sheldon! Do it! Do it now, you coward!

(Yes, I know how strong these cards were)

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 29, 2022

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Do they pay per ban or something?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I still say Library of Alexandria and Recurring Nightmare could be unbanned with little repercussion.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What was it that makes Recurring Nightmare difficult to deal with? That bouncing it to hand is part of the cost to reanimate something?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Batterypowered7 posted:

What was it that makes Recurring Nightmare difficult to deal with? That bouncing it to hand is part of the cost to reanimate something?
Yes. Since bouncing to hand is a cost and you always have priority when it resolves (assuming nothing triggers when it ETBs), you can always activate it before anyone has priority to hit it with removal.

In practice, people can either remove all your creatures from the board while RN is on the stack, or remove all the valid targets in your graveyard to keep RN on the table long enough to remove the enchantment.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yes, but it's still trivially easy to interact with by either countering it, killing creatures while it is on the stack, or removing the graveyard while it is on the stack. It can also be dealt with proactively by just not letting your opponent maintain a stocked up graveyard.

The "problem" with it is that once you have it, there is nothing better to do with your mana than repeatedly use it, and do nothing else, so it makes games stale.

It's a card that should have come off the banlist a decade ago once we had actual graveyard interaction by the bucket load, but cultural inertia is dumb.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Would love to have a chat with the guy who goes to no-banlist cedh night with his sick recurring nightmare deck.

Admittedly, I want that card unbanned because the art is fun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

once we had actual graveyard interaction by the bucket load, but cultural inertia is dumb.

Back in the day, my favorite random piece of anti-grave tech was Faerie Macabre.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

I still say Library of Alexandria and Recurring Nightmare could be unbanned with little repercussion.

Gifts and Coalition Relic, too. Maybe even Prime Time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://youtu.be/wc4WJ0yXpzo

Ugh, Jimmy makes a stupid play around the 18 minute mark I absolutely hate.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I strongly suggest everyone just put the obvious troll on ignore. He has never contributed anything to the conversations other than baseless complaints and hugely incorrect understanding of a game he doesn't even play.

On the topic of dockside bans... I guess that'd be okay with me. Dockside was one of the first cards to bring red into parity with the "good colors" but I feel like red has received enough tools in the last few years to not have to rely on one single card to be viable.

Jeska's Will
Underworld Breach
Storm-kiln Artist
Birgi
Cursed Mirror
Kediss

Uh... Okay, maybe dockside is carrying the color more than I initially thought.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Chakan posted:

Would love to have a chat with the guy who goes to no-banlist cedh night with his sick recurring nightmare deck.

I was around when this card was released, so I'm always hesitant when people suggest unbanning it, but I would be curious to say what the No-Ban tables say. Though, I guess the weird thing is that there are probably not many No-Ban EDH tables that aren't cEDH, so who knows it the RC would care.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aranan posted:

I strongly suggest everyone just put the obvious troll on ignore. He has never contributed anything to the conversations other than baseless complaints and hugely incorrect understanding of a game he doesn't even play.

On the topic of dockside bans... I guess that'd be okay with me. Dockside was one of the first cards to bring red into parity with the "good colors" but I feel like red has received enough tools in the last few years to not have to rely on one single card to be viable.

Jeska's Will
Underworld Breach
Storm-kiln Artist
Birgi
Cursed Mirror
Kediss

Uh... Okay, maybe dockside is carrying the color more than I initially thought.

Ragavan and Face-Breaker. :colbert:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

AlternateNu posted:

Ragavan and Face-Breaker. :colbert:

Yeah, Face-Breaker popped up on my list and I like her but I'm not really sure how much play she sees.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I had her in Temur Pirates, Najeela, and Blue Farm right after launch but I removed her from everything after a few weeks. Just never felt good to draw.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fadam posted:

I had her in Temur Pirates, Najeela, and Blue Farm right after launch but I removed her from everything after a few weeks. Just never felt good to draw.

Uhhhh, what? I can understand Blue Farm and maybe Pirates, but she's straight up a wincon in Najeela.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Flash had needed a ban for a long time for anything besides Flash Hulk to be viable. It was kind of stupid.

I don't think anyone expected that by the time Flash got it, THB would introduce two whole new avenues for instant wins in Thoracle and Breach.

Still, they're a lot easier to deal with than Flash Hulk ever was. Far far harder to do on turn 1, especially.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Now I'm just thinking about a Marvel/DC crossover but everyone gets merged in really weird ways.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

Gifts and Coalition Relic, too. Maybe even Prime Time.

Coalition Victory is WAY too easy to hit now, but gifts and prime time should definitely be unbanned. Grindstone should probably get the axe, along with oracle and dockside. Painters Servant is fine on its own, and it enables a bunch of goofy jank from Invasion block that cares about the most prominent color on the field

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Flash had needed a ban for a long time for anything besides Flash Hulk to be viable. It was kind of stupid.

I don't think anyone expected that by the time Flash got it, THB would introduce two whole new avenues for instant wins in Thoracle and Breach.

Still, they're a lot easier to deal with than Flash Hulk ever was. Far far harder to do on turn 1, especially.

Thoracle was already in lists when flash got banned, replacing labman, and consult was already in the line as a result. But that was generally considered and OK outcome at the time, because it was assumed that any metagame would be better (it was), and that it would be a good win-con but that the meta would rise up to beat it. And it kinda did for a while, heavy stax decks rose up to counter thoracle. But thoracle decks got more refined and x-farm decks got better and better tools and alternate win-cons; stax decks on the other-hand struggled to get wincons that could beat thoracle decks, and so just joined the club. Would I be upset if Thoracle didn't get banned, and I'm not clamouring for it to be banned every chance I get like I did with flash, but it is stagnating the metagame with its existence because when you sit down at a cedh table you know that 2-4 decks there are playing thoracle, and you need to build your decks around it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

berenzen posted:

Thoracle was already in lists when flash got banned, replacing labman, and consult was already in the line as a result. But that was generally considered and OK outcome at the time, because it was assumed that any metagame would be better (it was), and that it would be a good win-con but that the meta would rise up to beat it. And it kinda did for a while, heavy stax decks rose up to counter thoracle. But thoracle decks got more refined and x-farm decks got better and better tools and alternate win-cons; stax decks on the other-hand struggled to get wincons that could beat thoracle decks, and so just joined the club. Would I be upset if Thoracle didn't get banned, and I'm not clamouring for it to be banned every chance I get like I did with flash, but it is stagnating the metagame with its existence because when you sit down at a cedh table you know that 2-4 decks there are playing thoracle, and you need to build your decks around it.

Embrace the torpor orb meta.

Actually I’d love if they would print a few strong utility creatures with etb penalties to let stax deal with thoracle and dockside.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unban Tolarian Academy you cowards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Embrace the torpor orb meta.

Actually I’d love if they would print a few strong utility creatures with etb penalties to let stax deal with thoracle and dockside.

There's like three or four Torpor Orb creatures. You mean more of those?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Unban Tolarian Academy you cowards.

Storm the Vault exists and is easy as gently caress to flip

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The EDH banlist has always been a single playgroup's most hated cards, which then blew up into a global format and now has to be defended everyday on the internet, but I will say I agree with the philosophy of keeping it as lean as possible.

You could probably officialize deck strength by having a kind of tiered banlist. Tier 0 is anything goes, Tier 1 bans these 30 cards, Tier 2 bans all of Tier 1 plus a bunch more, etc, but it would be a nightmare to maintain, and no one wants to slowly sort through every one of their massive singleton decks to figure out what tier they're in.

For real though just blanket ban everything on the Reserve List until WotC gets over themselves and absolves it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

There's like three or four Torpor Orb creatures. You mean more of those?

No I mean undercost creatures that are good with a negative etb.

Like worm fang manta but less powerful, so that your deck has synergy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO9ex7o5j38

3 Turn One wins from Dominaria United cards?????? Set is super broken you guys. It's a good thing all these cards are affordable. :v:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been rebuilding my Commander decks because my friend group wants to play, and I started looking up budget builds for my fiance and my daughter. Is Locust God just the best budget commander there is? Combos with draw spells, which there are so many of and is exactly what a blue deck wants to do; it's great. So many cards cantrip anyway.

My daughter loved landfall when we played some cheap decks I made from commons and uncommons, so she's probably getting Karametra, who I'm happy to see the price dropped on since I last looked. I was going to build her Arahbo, but there's plenty of good cats for a lands-matter deck, like Felidar Retreat and that one that Oblivion Rings cards from your graveyard.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

I've been rebuilding my Commander decks because my friend group wants to play, and I started looking up budget builds for my fiance and my daughter. Is Locust God just the best budget commander there is? Combos with draw spells, which there are so many of and is exactly what a blue deck wants to do; it's great. So many cards cantrip anyway.

My daughter loved landfall when we played some cheap decks I made from commons and uncommons, so she's probably getting Karametra, who I'm happy to see the price dropped on since I last looked. I was going to build her Arahbo, but there's plenty of good cats for a lands-matter deck, like Felidar Retreat and that one that Oblivion Rings cards from your graveyard.

There's lots of fun stuff you can do with Locust God. Load up on draw spells, and run red enchantments like Impact Tremors or Goblin Bombardment to weaponize the insects. And Skullclamp, because Skullclamp.

Now I kinda want to build it too.

EDIT: This actually gave me a really neat idea. Gimme some time to put it together.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 30, 2022

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is there a better option for EDH online than untap.in or cockatrice?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Locust God was my first attempt at a truly competitive deck before morphing it into Kess.

The best two cards in the deck are Skullclamp and Mana Echoes.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO9ex7o5j38

3 Turn One wins from Dominaria United cards?????? Set is super broken you guys. It's a good thing all these cards are affordable. :v:

This was hilarious. 3 turn 1 win combos, if you draw all the right cards turn 1 - like 5-7 of them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

goodness posted:

Spelltable?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

goodness posted:

I know some people play using tabletop simulator but that just sounds annoying to me.

The other option is playing via webcam with physical cards on spelltable.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Xmage is an MTGO-like client with full rule implementation (phases, triggers, the whole shebang). The base client hasn't been updated in a while, but the beta client is receiving updates, I believe. You can check the subreddit for more information.

I've used it a lot in the past to play with randoms and friends alike. You can even host your own server if you want and have your friends connect, though I've never done it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
My buddies and I used XMage for a few years, but it started getting really buggy a couple years ago. We moved from that to Cockatrice when COVID started and we were playing exclusively online for a while. One of us doesn't like Cockatrice as much because it's more manual, but I actually prefer that.