Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Someone on r/fuckcars posted a video where someone in new york or somewhere was saying it was unfair that cars weren't allowed to use dedicated bus lanes since they were mostly empty most of the time.

People just don't get the concept that bike/bus lanes need to be kept open for bikes/buses to use them, they are still working as designed even if they aren't completely congested when the cars lanes are congested (buses/bikes just take up a ton less space), and that doesn't entitle drivers to be like "it's unfair; there's tons of space over there so I get to use it" any more than the fact that train tracks being empty between trains means that they're a failure and cars deserve to drive on them.

The sense of driver entitlement where ~it's just so UNFAIR~ that even a tiny amount of space is taken away from single occupant cars is just gross

Also the logic where effectively drivers all constantly block the bike lane and then are like "Huh, a bike is going around me in the street, I guess bikers just don't want bike lanes :smug:" is infuriating

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jedweeks/status/1563874761092042752?s=20&t=FdXIblO2nDY6LDYdbQkNHw

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mystes posted:

Someone on r/fuckcars posted a video where someone in new york or somewhere was saying it was unfair that cars weren't allowed to use dedicated bus lanes since they were mostly empty most of the time.

People just don't get the concept that bike/bus lanes need to be kept open for bikes/buses to use them, they are still working as designed even if they aren't completely congested when the cars lanes are congested (buses/bikes just take up a ton less space), and that doesn't entitle drivers to be like "it's unfair; there's tons of space over there so I get to use it" any more than the fact that train tracks being empty between trains means that they're a failure and cars deserve to drive on them.

The sense of driver entitlement where ~it's just so UNFAIR~ that even a tiny amount of space is taken away from single occupant cars is just gross

Also the logic where effectively drivers all constantly block the bike lane and then are like "Huh, a bike is going around me in the street, I guess bikers just don't want bike lanes :smug:" is infuriating

its also good to reserve bus lanes for bus traffic because it makes driving less convenient, reducing peoples willingness to drive. perfect. in a perfect world all lanes should be reserved for buses.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My co-worker's wife won't ride in anything smaller than a full size SUV because the only way she feels safe on the road is if she's in a vehicle that she thinks will flatten the other vehicle in a collision. Literally "I won't ride in anything unless I think it will kill the other person".

mystes
May 31, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

My co-worker's wife won't ride in anything smaller than a full size SUV because the only way she feels safe on the road is if she's in a vehicle that she thinks will flatten the other vehicle in a collision. Literally "I won't ride in anything unless I think it will kill the other person".
Rather than having airbags for drivers they need to add spikes on the inside of the cars pointing at the driver's seat and put the airbags on the outside for pedestrians.

If people don't feel safe driving when they're the ones who are at risk if there's an accident, then good, they shouldn't drive

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Aug 29, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

My father in law complains about modern cars all the time and laughs at how badly a sedan would crumple up and get totalled if it rear ended his 1980 something GMC truck. He drove me home in the thing the other day and it was a terrifying loving ride. The entire thing is just glass and steel and a dashboard that's so ripped up it would shred your face if god forbid you hit it in a collision.

But "you can't see anything out the windows of these new cars there's so much dead space in the frame so they can collapse and get totalled and then they force you to buy a new one!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

lobster shirt posted:

its also good to reserve bus lanes for bus traffic because it makes driving less convenient, reducing peoples willingness to drive. perfect. in a perfect world all lanes should be reserved for buses.

Cars should be allowed to drive in bus lanes when they're empty.

But the buses will be monster trucks and proceed at normal speed regardless.

If the car-brained people are right, the extra lane will keep the traffic flowing smoothly and jam-free, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The real emergency is so few bollards protecting that bike lane
I hate those bendy posts almost as much as I hate cars. It accomplishes nothing to impede cars, which I suppose is the point.

McCracAttack posted:

Reminds me of a book about SUV brain. The book spends a few chapters on how psychotic SUV drivers are and generally how Americans' growing fear of crime and others spurs them to buy SUVs. It even mentions the SUV as an extension of the suburban home and what that represents.

"High and Mighty" by Keith Bradsher posted:

The reptilian instinct for survival does not just involve crime
fears, Rapaille says. It also shows up in the extent to which people
are willing to put other drivers at risk in order to diminish the odds
that they will be injured themselves in a crash. In other words,
people in touch with their inner reptile are most likely to choose
vehicles that look especially likely to demolish other people's cars
in collisions.
"My theory is the reptilian always wins," he said. "The reptilian
says, 'If there's a crash, I want the other guy to die.' Of course, I
can't say that aloud."

The book also has another great quote on car brain.

"High and Mighty" by Keith Bradsher posted:

Who has been buying SUVs since automakers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors or communities. No, that's not a cynic talking—that's the auto industry's own market researchers and executives. Several market research companies conduct big annual customer surveys for automakers, producing an extremely detailed view of who buys SUVs and why. Each of these detailed surveys are filled out by 35,000 to 115,000 people who have bought new vehicles in the last several months. These surveys, backed up by many interviews with consumers in focus groups, dwarf anything done by politicians

That book was written back when SUVs only accounted for less than 20% of car sales. SUVs account for over 50% of new cars sold now. I'm not sure what that says about the psychology of America.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I hate those bendy posts almost as much as I hate cars. It accomplishes nothing to impede cars, which I suppose is the point.

Reminds me of a book about SUV brain. The book spends a few chapters on how psychotic SUV drivers are and generally how Americans' growing fear of crime and others spurs them to buy SUVs. It even mentions the SUV as an extension of the suburban home and what that represents.

The book also has another great quote on car brain.

That book was written back when SUVs only accounted for less than 20% of car sales. SUVs account for over 50% of new cars sold now. I'm not sure what that says about the psychology of America.

tbf SUVs now include crossovers which are just raised hatchback sedans and smaller than mid 2000s excursion monstrosities and I’d say most new SUVs I see are crossovers. also you can’t buy sedans or HBa anymore, like I wanted a civic HB but the dealer was out on a 6 month waiting list so I ended up with a used 2019 HR-V which is basically the same poo poo just lifted a bit.

only reason I needed one was because I got royally hosed by a small business boomer on my Prius and I needed one for work which reimburses me 68 cents per mile so it kinda pays for itself

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Lib and let die posted:

My father in law complains about modern cars all the time and laughs at how badly a sedan would crumple up and get totalled if it rear ended his 1980 something GMC truck. He drove me home in the thing the other day and it was a terrifying loving ride. The entire thing is just glass and steel and a dashboard that's so ripped up it would shred your face if god forbid you hit it in a collision.

But "you can't see anything out the windows of these new cars there's so much dead space in the frame so they can collapse and get totalled and then they force you to buy a new one!"

lol show him this youtube compilation of old cars getting absolutely destroyed by new cars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePYO0-Ig0VU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pushtheneedle/status/1563532975308161032?s=20&t=ybi58tV4aG157-c2G3rodw

mystes
May 31, 2006

The us wins at vision zero again

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

we built a tunnel to replace the viaduct but car people hate the tolls so now we get another six surface lanes where a park was originally planned

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Sharps posted:

we built a tunnel to replace the viaduct but car people hate the tolls so now we get another six surface lanes where a park was originally planned
Yeah sure, why spend a ton of money to bury highways and make the surface nice when you can spend a ton of money to bury highways and then just put more pointless highways back on top

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mystes posted:

This is definitely true, and my first reaction was "that's insanely dumb but maybe it's what americans do" but when you think about the fact that the point is specifically to quantify the cost of a new car, that may not even be what it's saying. It's still applicable even if you do in fact keep the car after 5 years because in having made the choice to initially buy it new rather than used you're still eating the cost of the depreciation for the first five years, so in a way this isn't a cost you avoid by buying a new car and keeping it longer, it's a cost you avoid buy buying a used car (or better yet not buying a car).

Of course, in reality obviously not all americans buy new cars since there is plenty of demand for used cars, but it does seem like there are also lots of people who do buy new cars and then trade them in every few years for some insane reason.

These people want to have a new car all the time for conspicious consumption reasons, bottom line.

My old supervisor insisted on keeping the dealer tag on the front window so people would think the car is new. I asked him why it was important that people knew that, he never had an answer.

So MFers will buy and trade in cars every 3 years or lease just so they can be seen driving a new car.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I can only assume this is some kind of fetish thing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A commodity fetish even

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eh there's that but I meant more like whatever the opposite of a giantess fetish would be

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

some plague rats posted:

I can only assume this is some kind of fetish thing

like this guy who hides next to womens cars so that they run over his hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne7N2zd1oYo

not one to kink shame, but this man should be ashamed of his kink

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Horace posted:

This guy has 201 subscribers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/GrahamGallaghe9/status/1564304677235204096?s=20&t=mDszA8zvakUT1MZg_o4oEA

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Horace posted:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Horace posted:

lmfao how did you find this? HOW

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Horace posted:

i have so many questions

how does he fit between the carts and the rail of the corral

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

lmfao how did you find this? HOW

It's fine, we won't tell anyone about your channel

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never parking next to the corral again

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Who gets stabbed first, this guy or the cart narc psycho

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

Never parking next to the corral again

keeping that space free so someone can run over your fingers?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

Who gets stabbed first, this guy or the cart narc psycho

100% cart narc, this guy just seems like a danger to himself

I'm genuinely a bit fascinated, what specific collection of inputs and damages do you need to throw at a person to get this guy. I can't even begin to guess

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cloks posted:

keeping that space free so someone can run over your fingers?

Changed my answer this guy gets stabbed first

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Can we go back to posting about hating cars and not this guys weird fetish? And don't post those devian art stuff of cars loving!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've posted this before, but

https://youtu.be/06BFsQ_28Co

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah this thread is for CAR shaming not kink shaming

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Can we go back to posting about hating cars and not this guys weird fetish?

Because this guy's kink is less publicly embarrassing

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
remember that you should always do a 360 degree walk around your car to look for potential exterior damage and carbrained perverts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hubbert posted:

remember that you should always do a 360 degree walk around your car to look for potential exterior damage and carbrained perverts

but doctor,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't understand how she didn't see him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

but doctor,

If you're not about to follow this up with "I am a 360 degree walk around" I'm starting the QCS thread

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

some plague rats posted:

If you're not about to follow this up with "I am a 360 degree walk around" I'm starting the QCS thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
as an unlicensed medical professional, I recommend taking inspiration from your kink in that you should "get over it"