Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Firing this dumb horrible game back up again for something else to do during slow work days.

I'm Meehhh (or maybe Meeehh) the Wood Elf Druid on Green. Please give me all your free garbage! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Plastic Pal posted:

Having fun playing this terrible old game again -- my god I forgot the patrolling instakill mobs and getting lost all the time, such crap game design, lol what a brutal slog.

Kinda regretting rolling on blue instead of green; they don't do transfers, do they?

Edit: Also is there an active goon guild on blue?

edit: guess not

Green is good. But I highly recommend TAKP. It’s just a chiller experience and if you ever really need to pop around to do stuff with people you can always use the PoK gates. No shame in it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

People are super-nice in P99, at least to newbies. Some random high-level player gave me a fine steel warhammer, 10 plat, and a bunch of buffs to start me out!

I managed to get halfway through 7 from doing a lot of Felwithe/Kelethin mail runs while also killing random mobs and doing all the newbie turn-ins I can. I'm still getting 1/3rd of a bubble at level 7 from mail delivery so I might as well keep doing it so I can get Meditate ASAP. I wish I had known this mail run was so good way back on classic, but I was a dumb kid then and I just thought all quests were crappy EXP!

Kid me also doesn't remember all the low level pixies in Greater Faydark. These things drop lowbie gems pretty often which sell for a lot of gold, and I get patchwork armor from the pixie dust quest. Pretty neat stuff. I'm wondering if I got scared from the faction hits when I killed a few or something.

Also, for the first time ever, my Gate spell had a critical fail, which I've never seen before in all my decades of playing this. Not a fizzle, either. You spend the mana, then the game says "Your gate is too unstable and collapses" and you don't go anywhere.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

DizzyBum posted:

People are super-nice in P99, at least to newbies. Some random high-level player gave me a fine steel warhammer, 10 plat, and a bunch of buffs to start me out!

I managed to get halfway through 7 from doing a lot of Felwithe/Kelethin mail runs while also killing random mobs and doing all the newbie turn-ins I can. I'm still getting 1/3rd of a bubble at level 7 from mail delivery so I might as well keep doing it so I can get Meditate ASAP. I wish I had known this mail run was so good way back on classic, but I was a dumb kid then and I just thought all quests were crappy EXP!

Kid me also doesn't remember all the low level pixies in Greater Faydark. These things drop lowbie gems pretty often which sell for a lot of gold, and I get patchwork armor from the pixie dust quest. Pretty neat stuff. I'm wondering if I got scared from the faction hits when I killed a few or something.

Also, for the first time ever, my Gate spell had a critical fail, which I've never seen before in all my decades of playing this. Not a fizzle, either. You spend the mana, then the game says "Your gate is too unstable and collapses" and you don't go anywhere.

P99 has a remarkably higher failure rate than Live did anywhere between 99 and 02. Still, that sort of critical failure can only occur if your skill is below 100, iirc.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

unstable gate never stops happening and it's hilarious.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Really funny when you're trying to hammer out of somewhere dangerous, you finally get a proc and NEWP.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Unstable evacs are pretty awesome, too. I just lean in and tell them it's a deity compatibility issue.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I've had gates collapse on 3 casts in a row before. It's actually pretty nuts how often it happens on P99

Also have had a few lols at other players first encounter with the "everyone but YOU" mechanic on evacs. Straight up leaves em behind. I'm pretty sure it can even trigger on the wizard/druid that casts the spell.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Fangthane posted:

I've had gates collapse on 3 casts in a row before. It's actually pretty nuts how often it happens on P99

Also have had a few lols at other players first encounter with the "everyone but YOU" mechanic on evacs. Straight up leaves em behind. I'm pretty sure it can even trigger on the wizard/druid that casts the spell.

Oh yeah my druid's had that. I was like "why wouldn't I use evacs to port my group around, way faster cast... oh, that's why."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not fully related to this train of thought and it's likely true to live but I thought it was weird that being bound in HPH gives a failed to bind message.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Pratan posted:

Still going on blue. Currently 3 characters shy of having all classes 60, and 2 epics short of having them all.

Hit me up on Clearbrook if you are new and want/need some gear/starter money.

Out of curiosity how long would you estimate this has taken you?

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Apparition posted:

Out of curiosity how long would you estimate this has taken you?

I've been playing for about 6 years. I am not, at all, a hardcore raider. Probably only been raiding 2 years, and never in one of the top guilds.

I am missing warrior and bard epics, even though those were 2 of the first classes I got to 60. I'm in no hurry for these-I will let other people who main these classes get them first.

Mage epic is hella fun.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

The real question is how many guardian robes do you have? More than one is a mark of madness if there ever was,

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

shirunei posted:

The real question is how many guardian robes do you have? More than one is a mark of madness if there ever was,

2-one on iksar SK and one on human druid.

I've done 6 coldain shawls.

Help me.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Pratan posted:

I've done 6 coldain shawls.

Help me.

omg I'm so sorry...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That's impressive and nuts. How many collected days do you have throughout all your characters?

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Node posted:

That's impressive and nuts. How many collected days do you have throughout all your characters?

No idea. Don't want to know.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Pratan posted:

No idea. Don't want to know.

Yeah probably best not to open that door

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

IMB posted:

Yeah probably best not to open that door

So I checked my post history in this thread, as this was where I found P99 after quitting FF14. I think it's been 8 years playing this. Judging by my first posts in 2015, it took me 2 years to get 2 characters to 60. My mage was my second character created, and he dinged 60 last year. Super casual here. I know guys that have leveled a new character 1-60 in 3 weeks. I am sure that bots in big guilds get leveled faster.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Just started on green made a monk anyone have a wu stick or a fighting baton i can have :)

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
God help me I've been tempted to reinstall lately just to do some soloing on my enchanter or necro. I think my enc is like 49 or 50 and my necro is 54? I reckon my enc is one of th3 best geared enc twinks out there sub 50 so it's a shame to have him rotting away. I have a 60 shaman/bard as well but I'd never get back into raiding. There's also a low 50s monk who is decent.

Swarm kiting has to be the most fun I had in the game solo. I'm on blue and would be playing at night AU time so it's pretty dead.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Burt Gherkin posted:

God help me I've been tempted to reinstall lately just to do some soloing on my enchanter or necro. I think my enc is like 49 or 50 and my necro is 54? I reckon my enc is one of th3 best geared enc twinks out there sub 50 so it's a shame to have him rotting away. I have a 60 shaman/bard as well but I'd never get back into raiding. There's also a low 50s monk who is decent.

Swarm kiting has to be the most fun I had in the game solo. I'm on blue and would be playing at night AU time so it's pretty dead.

I've actually played on Blue in that timeslot for years. Who are your characters? I have a bunch of high 40s - mid 50s lying around.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
Slopster, khari zatune, bottomless Pete, hommus and I can't remember what I changed my chanters name to once the original name got nuked.

Got it. Yilmaz

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Surprised you got away with Bottomless Pete, that's a good name though.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Don't remember Yilmaz but have definitely seen Slopster around in the EC tunnel trying to buy that shaman clicky bracer circa 2018. It's been a minute since I've played. Anyway, should you start up again in the AU night timeslot, let me know, I've got some free time the coming weeks.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I logged in. Found out I'd forgotten the controls, didn't have my nice duxa UI, was afraid to do anything in case I died. Ended up hammering in western wastes and caught a port back to wc where its safe. What were you thinking of doing meatgrinder? I'd be keen for some very casual stuff. The 55 nec and 49ish? Enc are the ones I was thinking of playing. Both those guys are geared to the tits.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I have a 58 druid in so-so gear that I used to duo with a buddy's necro or enchanter, which was cool. Also available are a 52 cleric, 55 enchanter, 51 monk or 50(ish?) shaman.

We would do dungeon crawls or explore zones we're unfamiliar with or go farm poo poo or epic / key / level up characters and I guess that's what I'd go on doing. I seem to remember going to Howling Stones and Chardok and Tower of Frozen Shadow and what not.

Add me on Discord: Lanadinea#3027.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah sweet. I'll try to get duxa back on and get familiar. Nec dru is a good duo from what I hear. I'd really need to start off with some safe boring xp to get my bearings back. I'll add you on disc. I'm keyed for every zone except vp on my shaman and I know my necro has at least seb and hs.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

After years of playing on and off and periodically starting new characters I finally got a character up past 25 or so :) I have a mage on Green that's up to 34 now (Fawzi) and feeling genuinely hopeful I might see 'endgame' stuff, tho I don't have much interest in raiding

I've been digging KFC, and I'm hoping to find a similar low-risk outdoor camp that I can solo while semi-afk and doing other stuff. Been decent money, too! It's nice not having a lot of KOS stuff around and having merchants nearby.

I tried doing the aviak village on my bard on blue years ago and it didn't click, maybe I was too low-level but hot dang is that a nice camp

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I managed to save up extra plat, so I bought a Ykeshan War Club which my lowbie druid is loving right now. I know I have to get WIS gear eventually but I'm content to cast my thorn shield and beat the poo poo out of Commonlands trash for now. I'm two levels away from SoW which is gonna help a lot.

Now that I have a magic weapon I should have enough firepower to safely kill wisps, so I'm gonna try that next time I log in.

Pratan posted:

So I checked my post history in this thread, as this was where I found P99 after quitting FF14. I think it's been 8 years playing this. Judging by my first posts in 2015, it took me 2 years to get 2 characters to 60. My mage was my second character created, and he dinged 60 last year. Super casual here. I know guys that have leveled a new character 1-60 in 3 weeks. I am sure that bots in big guilds get leveled faster.

I'm juggling P99 and FFXIV right now. I love the lore and content of XIV (Shadowbringers and Endwalker have been amazing, and the most recent patch 6.2 has been hella good) but I always liked the "mindful grinding" of classic EQ and keep going back to it.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I didn't see anything in the OP specifically, but do we have a guild on green? My brother and I play there reeaallly casually currently.

Last time I seriously played was in 04, sometime after LoY or LDoN right before WoW came out. Geez.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
NO GUILD AND NEVER WAS.

Some halfling supremacists, ok they had one token erudite too, made a guild when the server started. However, like all racists they succumbed to the depravity of their own natures, in this case getting fat on good times then moving on in life. So, there is no formal guild but plenty of people around in various places. Discord would be the place to ask.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just dinged 14 and immediately picked up SoW and Bind. :feelsgood:

I also lucked out and got a nice tip from a high level player that needed help with an item transfer, so I was able to buy all the rest of the spells I was missing.

Now time to go for a jog to North Karana and turn in all these lightstones. :getin:

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
So I reinstalled. I have forgotten so much of the game. All I've managed to accomplish in the last few days is standing around in wc saying hello to familiar people and running my enchanter to HHK. He was parked in Dreadlands and I copped a little Gorenaire AoE on the way through. If ant lowbies need help just let me know. I have limited time and live in Aus so adjust expectations accordingly haha.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

shirunei posted:

NO GUILD AND NEVER WAS.

Some halfling supremacists, ok they had one token erudite too, made a guild when the server started. However, like all racists they succumbed to the depravity of their own natures, in this case getting fat on good times then moving on in life. So, there is no formal guild but plenty of people around in various places. Discord would be the place to ask.

On green a couple of us are in force of will and a few more are in fires of heaven. For some content you need something like 14+ complete heal chain clerics, which I feel would be tough to muster with goons alone. Dial a Daniel still exists and you can probably join that if you want tells from people looking for ports- but the guild chat is essentially inactive from what I see when I log on that alt.

We have had a goon static leveling group going for 2.5 years as of next month. The class composition has been variable, especially post-velious. Last Tuesday we field a rogue, cleric, shaman, and necromancer for the ng camp in sebilis.

There’s currently a 50% exp bonus running through tomorrow, so if you want that xp now is the time to get it.

Overall the server very much has a feel of people completing whatever goals they have had going into joining the server with anticipation of some new server to be spun up by the p1999 team in the next year or so, though it’s unclear if this is confirmed or not.

Finally, made the push to level 60 on my iksar warrior and had the joy of tanking some high end targets (fear terror golem, Lady N in ToV). I feel warriors get too poor a rap about aggro management. If you are fighting blue con mobs (which you should if you’re getting xp) the taunt skill becomes very reliable 50+. Evasive discipline at level 60 is 3 minutes on / 4 minutes off so you have some active decision making around using it in group scenarios (almost always on / on cooldown!).

I’m trying the final push on my cleric 59->60 and will probably put work on my epic then.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Finally hit 60 on P99 Blue. The character was made in 2015, so I definitely took the scenic route finishing it up. I joined Kittens and its been a positive experience so far. Raids happen on a regular cadence, but no one really cares how often you make it. I was able to grab the Shaman Epic during a Fear raid a couple of weeks ago, and that made the push 58 -> 60 just fly by, especially when paired with the bonus exp this weekend.

It's amazing what people have figured out after being stuck in Velious for so long. I can't imagine that Enchanters/Necros/Shaman locked down Chardok spawns solo on live like they do here, because no one would have figured out the process before Luclin came out and invalidated 90% of the drops.

I don't know what their agreement with Sony/Daybreak looked like that allowed P99 to stay open, but if it's possible for them to build custom raid content they could get a lot of mileage out of that and still try to keep the classic feel to the whole experience.

It's insane how much money is in the economy, and how that impacts prices. I have a Fungi from soloing Ice Giants 51 -> 60 and selling their toes, but I'm nowhere near being in a position to buy the 4 expensive Shaman spells, while there are other people who buy all of them for their new Level 1 Shaman twinks.

This is still my favorite take on the genre, and I'm really glad it's stuck around so long.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
The real question is why hasn’t a single billionaire thought to buy the IP and make an EQ3 that plays like P99??

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

retpocileh posted:

The real question is why hasn’t a single billionaire thought to buy the IP and make an EQ3 that plays like P99??

Because if you have the kind of money that it takes to create even a basic MMO, you get a lot more return on investment if you make some freemium gacha waifu game, instead of something that will only appeal to a tiny population of neckbeard grognards.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I meant against all financial sense, purely because it’s the ethical thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

retpocileh posted:

I meant against all financial sense, purely because it’s the ethical thing to do.

I have some bad news about billionaires, you may want to sit down for this...