Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Do you guys have links to the foam you used or a similar example?

Checking my notes, I used 1/4" polyethylene foam, 2lb weight. I got it from this place, which is actually right near me. Drove there and picked it up:

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/closedcellfoam/polyethylene-foam-roll.html

There might be a place near you, or you'll just order it online. I think it had some other more corporate names, something with a V? But this is just the generic polyethylene foam.

The whole process is just using some spray glue all over the board and the foam, wait a few minutes to get tacky, slap it on, run a box cutter around it to trim it to the table's size, lay the cloth over it and fold it under, attaching it with a staplegun. The corners are tricky, you can kinda wrap it like a present or do some cuts or whatever. My wife helped with the corners, but it's just standard fabric wrapping you can find on youtube probably. Look for videos where they redo the fabric on chairs or benches if you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

I went with a roll of 2mm underlayment foam from a hardware store. Definitely minimal cushion compared to what others do but I didn’t want it too plush.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KingKapalone posted:

There's a great tutorial on YouTube. Make sure your volume is turned up when you start it so you don't miss anything. Should be the first result for "foam adventure"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I just heard about Corrupt Bargain: The 1824 Presidential Election. Or maybe I heard of it before, but I forgot? It clearly seems like something of a spiritual successor to 1960: The Making of the President which is a game I have been daydreaming about for yonks because Electoral College shenanigans has always been an interest of mine. (Though twice in my lifetime that has been a little too real).

Candice Harris has a write up here. It seems simple enough, a bit easier to grasp than 1960. I doubt I can justify it since I already have The King is Dead which is similar and likely plays in half the time, but one big hurdle for me with 1960 is that I can barely get any normal 2p games played. Four players would save that but then I have to find 3 other fools who think this poo poo is as cool as I do instead of just one.

Have any goons gotten to try 1824? I know we don't normally talk about years before 1829, a period known as BCE (Before Cootrains Eeeey).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there a thread for tarot and oracle cards and fortune telling stuff or would that fall under board games as a form of card game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is there a specific game because mysticism tarot stuff would definitely not fall under board games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IMO the "game" part is similar to how a GM or GM-substitute handles explaining what's going on. It's just a level of abstraction away from that. If a GM or GM-substitute is like "if player 3 rolls higher than 14, go to page 19 paragraph 4" or "if the party took the treasure map, read paragraph A, otherwise read paragraph B" then a tarot/oracle/whatever reading is like "if person saw a banana the other day and drew six of cups and ace of wands, that person probably likes doing stuff" or "if the person is wearing red and the tower came up, something bad is probably happening somewhere in the world in a way that might affect them"

The issue is when you get people treating it like it's anything more than a game and thinking it's something with supernatural powers rather than just a card game. It requires both players to play in good faith. 1 player has to give some information on what they're looking for and the other player has to be able to discern and relate the cards back to the subject at hand. It's kind of like a roleplaying or journaling exercise.

Definitely not how the crowd that legit believes in the supernatural treats it though. They think they're actually magic and poo poo which is a whole load of nonsense lol

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there a thread for tarot and oracle cards and fortune telling stuff or would that fall under board games as a form of card game

see how long you can go in the dnd thread without detection by referring to it as “the deck of many things”

“guys, the deck of many things drew swords facing down, how does this modify the PCs fate?”

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Anyone here played Fantastic Factories?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have a copy and I've played it a few times. I really like it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just won a 3p game of The Great Zimbabwe with tsui goab, the god that lets you use any combination to improve monuments. Just smashed up a level 4 using only my own pottery before anyone stopped me with secondary craftsmen (they really ought to have), took builder and freebied out a bunch of stuff, then took diamonds and waited for the right round to finish.

I'm finally feeling like I get how the game flows, that I'm making decisions not based on flailing and guessing but on interpreting the game state and pondering how it will look later.

I'm about half a dozen games in now and I'm really enjoying the hell out of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

This thread last used in 2021 is the closest fit we've had in TG. You're welcome to necromancer it if you want.

Another answer is that tarot/oracle decks actually used for fortune-telling isn't really a game, and chat about it maybe goes in Hobbies, Crafts & Houses, or perhaps Creative Convention if you wanna talk about the art aspects.

But I don't give a poo poo, it's TG-adjacent enough that I think you could just post about it in TG.

The funniest option might be posting in the poker forum.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Right on. I really enjoyed The Great Zimbabwe. I did find the route figuring a bit tough, but after a few games I got better at it. Even so, I remember playing online and would sometimes think "what? why isn't that in range? is this a bug?" but no, I just don't route good :goleft:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

But I don't give a poo poo, it's TG-adjacent enough that I think you could just post about it in TG.

I'm gonna do a reading of you right now and it's gonna be all towers >:]

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Magnetic North posted:

I just heard about Corrupt Bargain: The 1824 Presidential Election. Or maybe I heard of it before, but I forgot? It clearly seems like something of a spiritual successor to 1960: The Making of the President which is a game I have been daydreaming about for yonks because Electoral College shenanigans has always been an interest of mine. (Though twice in my lifetime that has been a little too real).
It's also a successor to High Treason (same designer).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SelenicMartian posted:

It's also a successor to High Treason (same designer).

I saw that, but I am unfamiliar with that bit of history. It's interesting to see a trial game that includes the jury selection process.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have high treason. I played it only once but it was good.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

The first time I read about tarot cards way back in the day, it was in a book of games and gaming which had a bunch of diagrams and things of different gaming paraphernalia, and it talked about how people gamed with those, referencing tarocco

which, like, I would absolutely learn to play and gamble on for cash or toothpicks, but the vast majority of the people I've met in my life who I would ask are all like NO THE CARDS ARE SACRED types

like, drat, people gambled on these cards for centuries, let's put some chips on the table

while checking the spelling of tarocco, I found out about minchiate, which had even bigger decks (including stuff like the zodiac, the four elements, christian virtues, gods of antiquity, etc) up to 98 cards

I want to play more and weirder fuckin' card games that don't involve rules text on cards

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hell, minor arcana can play damned near anything a standard 52 deck can so long as you remove 4 cards.

I don't actually know any rules or names of any games played using the tarot decks, though a quick search showed me that there's at least one popular French card game dating back to the 1400s just called Tarot.

Tarot's cool and if I can find my feline marseille deck then maybe I'll try learning some of the tarot trick taking games.

I do enjoy doing readings with them but I don't actually believe in any of the spiritual side of it so for me it's all about posing a question or thought and then using the cards as a prompt jumping off point to think about the question in a new way, to see it through new eyes sorta.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Hell, minor arcana can play damned near anything a standard 52 deck can so long as you remove 4 cards.

I don't actually know any rules or names of any games played using the tarot decks, though a quick search showed me that there's at least one popular French card game dating back to the 1400s just called Tarot.

Tarot's cool and if I can find my feline marseille deck then maybe I'll try learning some of the tarot trick taking games.

I do enjoy doing readings with them but I don't actually believe in any of the spiritual side of it so for me it's all about posing a question or thought and then using the cards as a prompt jumping off point to think about the question in a new way, to see it through new eyes sorta.

The French tarot game I know is trick taking, with a per hand team thing so someone wins the bidding to be the main player, then semi randomly chooses a teammate for that hand and it's 2v3 (iirc it was 1v3 in the 4p version).

Major arcana was the trump suit, key cards that helped make your bid were the 1,21,0 of major arcana and a lot of the strategy was in trying to make sure you took the 1.

Really fun. I learned it in France.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

The text might not be that much better.
I took a quick snap of the cards next to each other. They're all sleeved, so catching some glare that makes the colors look more washed out than they should.

The card titles, cost, value, and footers are definitely larger text. Titles are much easier to read in the contrasting font color and all caps typeface. Oddly enough, the main text doesn't appear to be much bigger if at all, but the background has a more even contrast.

Quoting from a couple pages back. Picked up the Premium Edition of Valley of the Kings with the tarot-sized cards. It's about 500 cards, consisting of the 'base' game and all the expansions, sleeves, and a good but nowhere near as nice as Dominion organizing system/tray.

The cards are way less busy. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff going on with each card, but they put the card actions on a flat gray background instead of a textured linen one, amongst other optimizations. That one change alone made it so that I can read the effect text while the card is in the pyramid.

There's a ton of game in the box. 2 different starting decks times 3 core sets, plus a randomizer system and ~6 suggested sets that mix and match from the different expansions to provide different experiences (plus a suggested card set for 5-player games). [edit] the game plays 5 and 6 players, my bad [/edit]

The downside is that this version is far less portable than the standard game. Thing is, the game takes an awful long time to play (at least for us), so I don't think it's a "toss in my wife's purse on the way to the pub" tier game, so no real loss there.

Thanks again for pointing out this edition of the game, thread!

fischtick fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 28, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

FirstAidKite posted:

Same, I do tarot readings for people and explain it as being a form of guided meditation or introspection that helps you mentally work through a problem. I'm careful to explain that they're just cards and that the subject should discard the lesson altogether if it feels like it doesn't apply to them.

It can be very uncanny sometimes though; my preferred spread is Celtic Cross, which is 10 cards. Since the reading starts with the subject telling me the problem they're concerned about, I basically have ten chances to hit some deep insight about their problem which makes "how the gently caress could you possibly have known that" moments fairly consistent--it's easy to see how someone could be convinced the reader is actually psychic, heck, easy to see how the reader could convince themselves that they're psychic. It makes me a bit wary of doing readings for people who do believe in that sort of stuff because I'm just confirming the bias.

One thing I've personally found is that a full-art deck with pictures on the minor arcana really enhances the effect. If you can relate the reading to the picture on the card, then it feels like what you're saying is true--if you're describing what the eight of cups means it feels like you're describing a fact rather than making stuff up, because the picture on the card matches what you're saying, so you're not just making it up, so you're telling the truth, so when you pivot to "this is what that card says about you/your problem" the subject is primed to take what you're saying as true, because the card is now evidence. Additionally it lets the subject picture themselves in the card, with a picture they can get out ahead of you, imagine how the picture on the card relates to them, so when you then follow up with "this is what that card says about you/your problem" there's a good chance that you describe the exact thing they were picturing, which now feels true as a result.

My favourite deck for a few years now has been the Everyday Tarot, a nice Purple/White/Gold set which are closer to standard playing card size and thus much easier to work with. The minor arcana are excellent, simple but very clear pictures that make it really easy to improvise a story or insight. Feels very modern, free of the witchy woo, nudity and blood which makes them suitable for any setting.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You guys should hit me up for a game some time.

4 Canberra goons in this thread huh.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

million dollar mack posted:

4 Canberra goons in this thread huh.

Five at least, if you're willing to count Tuggeranong.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

fischtick posted:

Quoting from a couple pages back. Picked up the Premium Edition of Valley of the Kings with the tarot-sized cards. It's about 500 cards, consisting of the 'base' game and all the expansions, sleeves, and a good but nowhere near as nice as Dominion organizing system/tray.

The cards are way less busy. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff going on with each card, but they put the card actions on a flat gray background instead of a textured linen one, amongst other optimizations. That one change alone made it so that I can read the effect text while the card is in the pyramid.

There's a ton of game in the box. 2 different starting decks times 3 core sets, plus a randomizer system and ~6 suggested sets that mix and match from the different expansions to provide different experiences (plus a suggested card set for 5-player games). [edit] the game plays 5 and 6 players, my bad [/edit]

The downside is that this version is far less portable than the standard game. Thing is, the game takes an awful long time to play (at least for us), so I don't think it's a "toss in my wife's purse on the way to the pub" tier game, so no real loss there.

Thanks again for pointing out this edition of the game, thread!

That's the advantage of the original trilogy, they're playing card size and can be transported easily. Bit tricky to see in the dim light of a bar if that's what you're going for but very very portable. Reminds me to sleeve mine. I wish my wife liked it more but I might have to just push her harder to understand the love that is VotK.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
You can just make one deck (what is it? ~70 cards for two players in total?) and put them in a (tarot sized) deckbox and carry that.

After a couple of games you get a feel of the different cards and know what style you like to play. It's not like you should make a completely new deck for every single game.

And the best set of cards is imho the Last Rites -expansion anyway, so you can just put them in a deck box and take that with you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FirstAidKite posted:

I used to do the same thing a lot, just use quick readings to help me reframe a situation or issues without really believing in any of it. I kept my cards hidden, though, because I already had a bunch of books on magical traditions from across the world, and I didn't want to be known as that girl.

The occult-adjacent thing that I want to find that's more in line with this thread is a way to play Enochian chess online. Four player team chess sounds weird and cool. I actually have a CD-ROM version of the game I found at a thrift store, but it only runs on Windows 98SE and nothing I've messed with in compatibility settings has gotten it to run successfully in a modern system.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
gimme some 2p 54-deck card games that don’t involve betting and aren’t regicide or Egyptian rat screw

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cribbage is the one I'd usually go for, assuming you mean "can be played with a 52 card deck or also potentially up to two jokers".

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I played this game the other week called The Mind, which uses a deck of numbers from 1 to 100 (but you could approximate it with a regular 52/54 deck easily enough). Each player receives a hand of cards. Then, they must play these cards into the middle of the table, from lowest to highest - but it's a cooperative game, and everyone plays into the same pile, and you cannot communicate in any way. So you just have to intuit whether you have the lowest-remaining card from other people's vibes. The first game was like two minutes of astonished silence before I finally gave in and played card #66; another minute went by before my teammates played #91, #94, and #98.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kazzah posted:

I played this game the other week called The Mind, which uses a deck of numbers from 1 to 100 (but you could approximate it with a regular 52/54 deck easily enough). Each player receives a hand of cards. Then, they must play these cards into the middle of the table, from lowest to highest - but it's a cooperative game, and everyone plays into the same pile, and you cannot communicate in any way. So you just have to intuit whether you have the lowest-remaining card from other people's vibes. The first game was like two minutes of astonished silence before I finally gave in and played card #66; another minute went by before my teammates played #91, #94, and #98.

The Mind is a game/social experiment I really love even though I find it super hard to recommend or even explain. I had a good time playing it with my Arkham Horror LCG group one week between campaigns or something and mentioned it to my wife, but only tentatively because she hates Hanabi (which has similar vibes, in my opinion). But she seemed intrigued enough that I grabbed a copy the next time I played at an FLGS and wanted something cheap for "table rent", and basically every time we play we get absolutely, stupidly far without any mistakes - it's a weirdly fun little measure of how "in tune" you are.

On the other hand we've taken to playing Mysterium a fair amount lately and oh god we are not on the same page at all there. It turns out she's aphantasmic, despite being really heavily involved in the visual arts in literally every aspect of her life, and it makes some of her choices weird to me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rockman Reserve posted:

Four player team chess sounds weird and cool.

My good good, can I interest you in Djambi? :shepface:

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Whist

Each player gets 13 cards, with the rest face down in a pile.
Flip the first card to determine trump and whether you’re playing high (get tricks) or low (fewest tricks wins).
Bid on cards from the pile using the cards you were dealt. Don’t score this part.
When you finish the “honeymoon” phase, you get down to business: try to win (or lose) 2-card tricks. Most (or least) wins. Loser buys the next round.

I’m really good at losing the game, but I’m also really bad at losing the game on purpose.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I’ve played and enjoyed a lot of two-player gin/rummy/ gin rummy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

as an adjunct to my last post, I also wish I intuitively understood the language of card games; there's a lot of text out there that expects the reader doesn't need the actual flow of play explained when it starts talking about being in the trick-taking family or bidding or whathaveyou

I'm okay once I have the rules explained to me but I do inevitably need the rules explained like I'm a child, and without jargon

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Gin Rummy, German Whist and Haggis are all great 2p standard deck games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kazzah posted:

The Mind rules. it gets the most incredible reactions out of people for a game with an utterly simple premise that takes less than a minute to explain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The Mind rules. it gets the most incredible reactions out of people for a game with an utterly simple premise that takes less than a minute to explain.

The Mind is just a remix of the simpler and far superior The Game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

hexwren posted:

I want to play more and weirder fuckin' card games that don't involve rules text on cards

You really should check Koi Koi. It uses a Hanafuda deck and the ruleset is indecipherable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

finally played Nemesis, 4 players and it was pretty awesome. I was a little worried because it sounds like some people hate it but it was perfect for my group.

got a lot of rules wrong though, we were drawing again in the second round and also the intruder bag was almost empty by the end