Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Woli winning over Ricardo has the same problem Sendo dying to Ricardo does: it doesn't get Ippo back in the ring

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

No Wave posted:

So say Woli beats Ricardo, Sendo beats Woli, Ippo fights Sendo? Would that be so bad?

yes. it would be outrageously bizarre and underwhelming for morikawa to write genuinely hundreds of chapters emphasizing the mythical nature of ricardo, finally begin to start giving us some character motivation on his behalf with a perfectly mirrored thesis to ippo, only to go "haha! woli takes him out of the story!"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Patware posted:

legitimately don't know what you mean

if anyone is in the realm of monsters, unironically woli is there

ricardo's driving motivation as a character that we are aware of is that he wants to have a thrilling battle in the ring and bring "heat" to the ring and the fans watching, but he laments the fact that he's so outrageously strong that his opponent's never reach that level. it's a driving force / narrative arc specifically built to mirror ippo. ippo asks nonstop "what does it mean to be strong" while ricardo asks "what was the point of becoming so strong".

woli (as a character and not as a boxer, he sucks insanely as a boxer but is a likeable enough character) doesn't bring that to the table. his motivation for boxing is that it is fun and that he can bring attention to his ecological goals by making it to a bigger and bigger stage. this is noble enough for sure, but doesn't speak to the core themes of the series, which is entirely about the relationship the characters have to the concept of strength.

even sendo beating ricardo and being the final boss for ippo makes a lot more sense and is a much more coherent story than woli doing it. sendo, too, is motivated by the desire to know strength and become a reliable man (which is really what ippo is after himself, he's just not really fully honest with himself when he thinks about his goals - it's not physical strength ippo is after, but emotional strength and reliability, which kamogawa acknowledged ages ago)

it won't happen, but if morikawa randomly decided to have woli win this fight it wouldn't be a bad writing decision because it's unexpected, it'd be a bad writing decision because then retroactively, all the movements surrounding ricardo would be made pointless. it'd be so outrageously underwhelming lol

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I think Woli is destined to lose, the only question is how badly. In any situation though, Ippo will probably see how much Woli loves and has fun boxing, even in defeat (unless Ricardo literally cripples or kills him), and that'll bring him back to the ring

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The reason I wouldn't be surprised if Ricardo is absent at endgame is because he is exactly like the AnJ guy, and I don't find him particularly developed outside of the mythology that he represents to the other characters in the story. I know Ippo has used AnJ for inspiration for other characters but Ricardo has done so little to differentiate himself over 1400 chapters compared to the others. But this also could be the fight where he's really developed (and that's the more likely outcome).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 30, 2022

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

No Wave posted:

The reason I wouldn't be surprised if Ricardo is absent at endgame is because he is exactly like the AnJ guy, and I don't find him particularly developed outside of the mythology that he represents to the other characters in the story. I know Ippo has used AnJ for inspiration for other characters but Ricardo has done so little to differentiate himself over 1400 chapters compared to the others. This could be the fight where he's really developed (and that's the more likely outcome).

morikawa has only bothered to treat him like a character and not just a name since the alf fight. he's pretty clearly going to be a lot more developed over the next few hundred.

jose mendoza was a loving sick character though. if mori hits half the high notes that mendoza got he'll have done a great job

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think this is mostly just to further build Ricardo for the Sendo fight

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Woli clearly takes the advantage over Ricardo, but is disqualified in the last round for doing too many backflips off the ropes.

Ippo realizes that true strength comes from following the rules, and becomes a referee.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I want Ricardo to beat the poo poo out of Woli but he has to use effort to do so, and Ippo picks up on this but doesn't actually learn anything concrete from the ringside and starts to question if he's hitting his upper limit on the amount he can learn as a second

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

If Woli wins here it would make this manga feel like JoJo's instead if Ippo. That said, if it were to happen, it would probably mean Ricardo has a role to play in the story but different from what we expected.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Woli will reveal the power of the wild man and transform into an oozaru.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Woli's beastly boxing will awaken Ricardo's wild spirit, turning the fight into a monkey jungle banana-throwing bonanza.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Bisse posted:

If Woli wins here it would make this manga feel like JoJo's instead if Ippo. That said, if it were to happen, it would probably mean Ricardo has a role to play in the story but different from what we expected.

Ricardo becomes Ippo's coach because he heard he was the only man who ever beat Woli and he wants revenge, not realizing that Ippo only won because Miguel forfeited for bs reasons

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ricardo reveals he has a small penis.

No one knows why he chooses to offer up this information.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1393

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Good soup! posted:

Most people have probably already seen the series but Ippo is coming to Netflix :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1564149364230131713?t=qPGQNvsjV7t6Burb8DccHg&s=19

That's pretty cool

I'll certainly be revisiting a few moments for sure!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I am really excited for this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do we know if it's gonna be the entire anime? Friend has got me into Ippo through the anime on Crunchyroll, but they don't have the second season just the 1st and 3rd + the movie for some reason.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Woli will win

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wally will die

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do we know if it's gonna be the entire anime? Friend has got me into Ippo through the anime on Crunchyroll, but they don't have the second season just the 1st and 3rd + the movie for some reason.

Just the first season - The Fighting - so no word on New Challenger or Rising....or the movie or OVA either I guess

It's still absolutely bizarre Crunchyroll has Rising but not New Challenger, what the gently caress

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
Hype as gently caress to see Woli get brain damage! :woop:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rabid Boar posted:

Hype as gently caress to see Woli get brain damage! :woop:

Plot twist: he does but nobody can tell :downs:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

I'm not sure what themes those are. The theme that Ricardo is strong? I assume that this fight will motivate Ippo to get back into the ring somehow, but that can happen any number of ways. I personally don't want a Wally final boss because it makes me want to throw up but everything fits as long as ippo fights again. Woli could loving die, Woli could come close, Woli could win causing Ippo to drop the baton and decide to fight entirely for himself, there isnt that much invested in Ippo and Ricardo's relationship and arguably the Date baggage is bad for him.

The theme of the manga is that you become stronger one step at a time. Wally was born strong so he will never be able to beat Ricardo.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

trucutru posted:

The theme of the manga is that you become stronger one step at a time. Wally was born strong so he will never be able to beat Ricardo.

We don’t know that. We could get a flashback arc where a younger Wally is getting bullied by monkeys who later come to respect him when he becomes a pro boxer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

trucutru posted:

Takamura was born the strongest character in the ippo universe... I don't think that's a special law in thisnmanga.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 1, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He got a small peepee tho

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

He got a small peepee tho

He took a Faustian bargain where this was the cost

He is harsh towards Ippo, because Ippo reminds him that there was another way

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

Takamura was born the strongest character in the ippo universe... I don't think that's a special law in thisnmanga.

Takamura is also one of the try-hardest (in his own goofy way) characters in the manga. He was born super-strong so he decided to aim for the almost impossible.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

All while having an eyeball dislocate itself.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Just because Ippo gets better one step at a time doesn't mean that every other character works the same way :eng101: But yeah Wally gon die.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Riccardo crushes Woli and teaches him that boxing is not fun

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If Woli becomes punch drunk but not crippled, he could always become a world famous gymnast or something

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Woli, beaten and broken, will have no choice but to be eaten by Ippo so that he can give him the shonen power he needs to be super champion.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the pacing has, in aggregate, felt very good for a long time now but it can be kinda frustrating to start a chapter and just know that a single punch will be thrown the entire time

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno if I would be upset or laugh out loud if all this pacing just for one punch and the next page we just see Woli on the floor and the manga goes backward explaining how he got punch drunk'd.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that would rule lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ricardo losing is so stupid it's the funnier option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1393
:catstare: