Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The eye imagery is so clear in that last shot, such a great film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

Watching it for a second time and seeing JJ changing slowly behind OJ, obscured slightly, gave me chills. Then the full money shots... So good.

Man, Nope rules so hard.

The music is what gets me during this scene. So good

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

The music is what gets me during this scene. So good

Yeah, I really appreciated the music on a rewatch. Basically from the beginning of OJ deciding "gently caress it, I'm getting the Oprah Shot" (which is triumphantly amazing btw) to the literal last shot of the movie, every aspects just works.

Legitimately don't get the admittedly few complaints I've seen that it falls apart in the last act. That's when everything comes together!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Steve Yun posted:

Spoilers: HD screenshots

It's not 100% clear that JJ has a camera obscura pinhole in the front, just that it has a notch

So loving cool! This movie is like what if the alien in the Abyss was a sky stingray and instead of curious it was hungry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vishass posted:

I also thought it was clever that in the transition between flying saucer and Evangelion Angel that Jean Jacket looked like a weather balloon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The aliens they found inside were mostly digested children

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Legitimately don't get the admittedly few complaints I've seen that it falls apart in the last act. That's when everything comes together!

I get it in so much as the last act is where the tone shifts to straight up action rather than horror. Which I could see some people being annoyed with. But at the same time it owned, so whooooo cares

What I don't get is the people that think the whole Gordy's Home arc was pointless. It was literally the point of the movie!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I assume the Gordy's Home stuff was either the entire impetus of the movie or he was developing a story around that and a UFO story at the same time and realized they were both hitting the same themes and messages and combined them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just saw it in an empty theater which made the tense parts really goddamn tense, but yeah the third act was not what I expected or wanted but I liked it anyways

Now I’m gonna watch Dragon Ball subbed
In what appears to be an empty theater

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I assume the Gordy's Home stuff was either the entire impetus of the movie or he was developing a story around that and a UFO story at the same time and realized they were both hitting the same themes and messages and combined them.

This is a question I would love to see him answer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, I can help but suspect that the gaps in JJ's membrane in its unfurled form are tears from the barbed wire it swallowed. Couple that with how it moves so much slower, and it really feels like it's only done that because it's taken so much of a beating. It's the hollow bluff of a dying animal.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The digestion scene was one of the most unsettling things I've seen in a movie in a long time. It takes a fair amount for a movie to actually disturb me but that moment bordered on traumatizing. I loved it!

are you talking about the scene at Jupe's show? Where a bunch of audience members get sucked up and it shows them slowly going up the tube? I didn't think that part was particularly rough at all but maybe it's missing something on a TV screen?

I was actually more disturbed by the blood rain scene

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 30, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Interview with phd marine biologist who consulted on Nope:

https://nerdist.com/article/nope-alien-name-revealed-science-consultant-interview-kelsi-rutledge-jordan-peele/?amp

Although it’s “not of planet earth” all the inspiration was taken from sea animals

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tumble posted:

are you talking about the scene at Jupe's show? Where a bunch of audience members get sucked up and it shows them slowly going up the tube? I didn't think that part was particularly rough at all but maybe it's missing something on a TV screen?

I don't think you have to use spoilers in this thread at this point, but I know a bunch of people who got real hosed up by that. For me it was entirely Gordy that hosed me up, just ruined my day. The sound design especially.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The camera following the audience up the JJ chute, and the closeup with the shaky cam and people panicking and screaming, all that was pretty intense. Just that feeling of being alongside these people not knowing what the gently caress is even happening.

I mean until OJ spells it out shortly after, I was still in that Fire in the Sky mindset of people getting "abducted" so I didn't know what the gently caress to expect or just... why. Why any of this, why a tight, pulsating flesh tube, what was going to happen to these people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Steve Yun posted:

https://nerdist.com/article/nope-alien-name-revealed-science-consultant-interview-kelsi-rutledge-jordan-peele/?amp

Although it’s “not of planet earth” all the inspiration was taken from sea animals

They even gave it a full on scientific name and classification, ha. Love it.

The cuttlefish inspiration is interesting, especially given the idea that it dazzles its prey in similar fashion- more themes of spectacle. Weren't some HD TVs inspired by cuttlefish cells?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

During the sucked up scene you see what people in this thread have identified as the fake horse, but I thought it was a half digested horse and I found it terrifying in a "you're going to be slowly digested alive" way.

So it was a big relief to me when JJ squeezed and stopped all the screaming.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Does anyone have that theorized cross-section of how JJ's biology could work that was posted however many dozens of pages ago? I feel like it kind of lines up with what you see when it unfurls.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tumble posted:

What really got me was the sound design. Really good screaming is always appreciated, but also the retching and grunting and the groaning as the peristalsis pushes them upwards were kind of overwhelming, along with the claustrophobia and the group terror (see also stories of human crushes, where the survivors all talk about how they were just having a jolly time at a soccer game and suddenly things are a little too tight and they realize that, with absolutely no warning, they may just up and die). It made what could've been a chilling realization into a visceral, overwhelming epiphany. It also played into my personal fear of a mangled, panicked death, which I think a lot of us will have to confront eventually - either you go unknowingly in your sleep (or a drugged equivalent) or your consciousness dissolves in a lonely, internal howl.

The shift from audience-friendly suspense (we know something big and bad is going to happen at the Star Lasso Experience and we can't wait to see it) to audience-hostile violence is one of my favorite horror things, because I love it when the viewer gets more than they bargained for. You see that in Spielberg a lot, like Alex Kintner drowning in a fountain of his own blood in Jaws and the kid being sucked through the dog door in Close Encounters, or the face-peeling scene in Poltergeist - the scene where the bargain of safety between the film and the audience is briefly broken and it becomes too much.

Also, drat, Peele really went there and brutally murdered like eight children.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m Gordy tapping the dead kids foot to see if there is any life left to beat out of him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I forget the exact sequence (was that at the beginning of what we see of the attack or the end? After the smashing but before the chewing?) but if it was at the end it was probably more of a "hey what's going on, where'd everyone go? Wake up Mary Jo."

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
The digestion scene come close to unbearable for me when the cries of confusion and horror turned into the high pitched shrieks of pain from the woman the camera was tracking. Also because the crowd that had been sucked up had already been so thoroughly humanised. June’s wife’s nervous displays of support, his irrascable children and his maimed childhood costar. Even in their brief appearances I found myself pulling for all of them.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I also thought the thing the lady saw at the end of the digestion scene was a partially dissolved horse head, and tbh I would have to see an image of that shot to be convinced otherwise, cause my brain really created a bold snapshot of what it thought it saw there.

But yeah, as others have mentioned, what did it for me was the abject panic, confusion, and terror as dozens of people grapple with what has just happened to them. They're in pain, being smashed, crushed, and digested. It reeks of death. Some are weeping, some are screaming, some a vomiting, some are groaning in agony. You can hear your loved ones, somewhere, and you know they are suffering the same unspeakable fate as you, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. You will each die alone, together, terrified, lost, and in pain.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

I also thought the thing the lady saw at the end of the digestion scene was a partially dissolved horse head, and tbh I would have to see an image of that shot to be convinced otherwise, cause my brain really created a bold snapshot of what it thought it saw there.

But yeah, as others have mentioned, what did it for me was the abject panic, confusion, and terror as dozens of people grapple with what has just happened to them. They're in pain, being smashed, crushed, and digested. It reeks of death. Some are weeping, some are screaming, some a vomiting, some are groaning in agony. You can hear your loved ones, somewhere, and you know they are suffering the same unspeakable fate as you, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. You will each die alone, together, terrified, lost, and in pain.

i'm 99% sure it is a horse head

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

CODChimera posted:

i'm 99% sure it is a horse head

Here's the clearest shot of it I could get. Spoilers, obviously.

I can see the read as an actual partially digested horse head, but my personal reading is that this is the fake horse, and the reason that JJ both went after so many people and seems to hold onto them for so much longer than anything else it ate is because after it eats the fake horse everything else it ate got stuck. Presumably the regurgitation later is also a result of this, somehow.

Edit: Actually yeah, now that I look a few frames before this, you can see that the girl who gets stuck on it is also wrapped up in the flag (a flag and the red rope is pretty visible). It's definitely the fake horse.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man, I wish it had been as effective for me. My brain couldn’t read that as anything except some actors in some bedsheets, which just made it comedic in a bad way. Something you’d see in MST3K. Since I just streamed it at home, I was surprised to read that wasn’t the common reaction.

On the other hand, I thought the umbrella sequence was very cool. The way the creature’s approach was indicated by the approaching runoff of rain was fantastic.

The single balanced shoe during the flashback was a great detail too. Really sold the shock and surreality of the experience. Notes of the standing corpse in Blue Velvet there.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm like... half-joking here, but the placement of the light there is making JJ look like some kind of invisible woman wearing an epic dress

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Bleck posted:

Here's the clearest shot of it I could get. Spoilers, obviously.

I can see the read as an actual partially digested horse head, but my personal reading is that this is the fake horse, and the reason that JJ both went after so many people and seems to hold onto them for so much longer than anything else it ate is because after it eats the fake horse everything else it ate got stuck. Presumably the regurgitation later is also a result of this, somehow.

Edit: Actually yeah, now that I look a few frames before this, you can see that the girl who gets stuck on it is also wrapped up in the flag (a flag and the red rope is pretty visible). It's definitely the fake horse.

Well gently caress now I'm questioning everything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

I'm like... half-joking here, but the placement of the light there is making JJ look like some kind of invisible woman wearing an epic dress

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Holy poo poo, they mocked up a whole scientific paper describing Jean Jacket. How wonderful is that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Baron von Eevl posted:

Does anyone have that theorized cross-section of how JJ's biology could work that was posted however many dozens of pages ago? I feel like it kind of lines up with what you see when it unfurls.

They did an expanded version! The creator is a ex-marine biologist, and used their knowledge to infer all kinds of details!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 30, 2022

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

JJ really looks like a woman in dress when it takes off after the balloon near the end

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Saw this at an IMAX. It was alright, I guess. The main characters were really hard to understand though. Maybe the sound design was off there. Wasn't much of a fan of the plot, though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Saw this at an IMAX. It was alright, I guess. The main characters were really hard to understand though. Maybe the sound design was off there.

I had no problem in a normal cinema, so it sounds like the usual bad audio mixing that plagues modern film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had no problems with the audio mix in a theater. I wonder if your theater had one of the channels, maybe the woofers or something, turned up too loud. The only trouble I had understanding dialog was during Ricky's tour of his office, but that was because there was a drunk guy screaming threats that he'd give a blowjob to anyone that told him to shut up again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Don't threaten me with a good time.

I had trouble with the dialogue for the first 15 mins or so.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Speleothing posted:

This is a question I would love to see him answer

This tweet from 2014 implies that he’s been thinking about the Gordie story for a long time, if he’s being honest:

https://twitter.com/jordanpeele/status/539165518897229824?s=21&t=EYlWVlLMAZ6ItZ8m1NYkXA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In this shot, you can see the innards, and a bit of JJ’s eye:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

whoa it totally fits

so, that TMZ guy getting eaten was especially unnerving for me. one of the first nightmares that I remember having as a child was of a scientist demonstrating a shrink ray to an audience, using it on an assistant and then swallowing him whole. you could here the guy screaming and the audience was just applauding.

otherwise i enjoyed the film very much. I am not good at analysis of cinema or art of any kind though, so I'm kinda confused about the couple of scenes that focused on keys being embedded in things.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I loving love this movie. Wish I could have seen it a second time at the theater