Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I still have absolutely zero idea about what you were going on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"Anyone who says race is a believer in eguenics and that all humans aren't biologically the same! That's what people think about different dog breeds (E: = tr. dog race/hund ras)! Oh wait, different language, I forgot the word race isn't the same as ras"

I'm the dumb one, I don't understand what you don't understand. I give up

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Aug 27, 2022

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I am either confused or you are saying that in your country it is racist to acknowledge that people have different "ethnicities" altogether?

Or is there a different word for "race" that is less derogatory?

On a census, for example, is there no section to indicate ethnicity?

Humans aren't all biologically the same. That doesn't mean the differences make them lesser or no longer human. Do doctors just give everyone the "white man" treatment or do they acknowledge that there are in fact genetic and sometimes cultural differences between humans that need to be taken into account when providing care?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
A decade ago when I was under the instruction of an artist who was teaching a small class how to do art, he frequently used terms like Mongoloids, Negroids and Caucasoids when referring to the three different types of humans. Felt kind of weird, but I went with it; I figured he knew more about this sort of thing than I did. Ugh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

run on sentience posted:

I am either confused or you are saying that in your country it is racist to acknowledge that people have different "ethnicities" altogether?

Humans aren't all biologically the same. That doesn't mean the differences make them lesser or no longer human. Do doctors just give everyone the "white man" treatment or do they acknowledge that there are in fact genetic and sometimes cultural differences between humans that need to be taken into account when providing care?

Hoo boy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

run on sentience posted:

No, dude! It's just "in many European languages, they have a word that sounds like the English word 'race', but which is only ever used (politely) to refer to animal breeds". Consequently, they kept thinking that, in English, people are being turbo racist when they use the word "race", when in actuality it's just a false friend.

Anyway:

Tenebrais posted:

BonHair posted:

Speaking of burning CDs, remember how that one program (app for any gen z reading) was called Nero Burning ROM? That's some quality pun you just don't get these days.
That's up there with the cleaning product Ajax (it's stronger than all grease)

holy crap!

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Thank you, I do think I get it now!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

run on sentience posted:

Thank you, I do think I get it now!

:tipshat:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The English word "race," as in the thing racists believe in, was probably derived from the Spanish "raza," which it has been theorized developed from the word arroz, and referred to different types of rice.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Aug 28, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Nothing to see here folks

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ministry of Sound is not a band.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

credburn posted:

A decade ago when I was under the instruction of an artist who was teaching a small class how to do art, he frequently used terms like Mongoloids, Negroids and Caucasoids when referring to the three different types of humans. Felt kind of weird, but I went with it; I figured he knew more about this sort of thing than I did. Ugh

Wait, is this not a thing? I swear we were taught about this in school, except there were four I think? Australoid I think was the fourth, and it referred to the native peoples of Australia, not the European imports.

I could google it, but now I'm afraid about what will come up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

#4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-hUoeHcz0

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ironhead posted:

Wait, is this not a thing? I swear we were taught about this in school, except there were four I think? Australoid I think was the fourth, and it referred to the native peoples of Australia, not the European imports.

Depends on what you mean with "is a thing". Is it a thing people have believed? Has it been taught in schools as science? Yes to both. Is it correct, scientifically justified and not made up for racist reasons? No to all three.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ironhead posted:

I was taught that tomorrow all peoples will be brothers with each other. DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

well its not tomorrow yet, is it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

well its not tomorrow yet, is it?

It's always tomorrow somewhere.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:2bong:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I was in college in the early 2000s I had an English teacher refer to Shakespeare's "dark lady" as a "negroid" and it nearly caused a riot in the classroom there was so much agitation and immediate, confused discomfort.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Phosphine posted:

Depends on what you mean with "is a thing". Is it a thing people have believed? Has it been taught in schools as science? Yes to both. Is it correct, scientifically justified and not made up for racist reasons? No to all three.

It's something half remembered from a class in Massachusetts circa 2002, and I guess I had just never ever really thought about it again. I think I just filed it away as some sort of scientific classification that wasn't really applicable to the real world.

Welp, I guess this is a thing I just figured out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's roughly the human equivalent of dividing everything into animal, vegetable, and mineral except also racist.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The German word for "next" ("nächst") is just the superlative of "nah", meaning "close" and related to the English "nigh".

"next" literally just means "nighest"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Beating some fool's rear end in the D&D tavern and screaming at the crowd of miscreants nighest

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

apparently rafe spall is not the son of rafe fines

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I mean that's usually not how names work over here.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mean they look the same

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also one of those Rafes is secretly a Ralph.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And a Fiennes.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Liam Lynch and David Lynch are different people

Whatever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Goons working through their issues with names now. I'm glad for it

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I realized way too recently, like a year ago, that it’s not pronounced Ray. It always bled into “Fiennes” when I heard it so I never recognized the first f sound.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I understand that "monkey cheese" is shorthand for that kind of random comedy that was really popular in the 00s. Didn't realize until now it's a reference to an actual cartoon, created by James Rolfe. Makes perfect sense. Ugh, I hope that guy didn't turn out to be a huge poo poo; I haven't paid any attention to him in quite a while but I recall reading that he was a really decent guy.

Random rear end anecdote: I bumped into him at the Portland Retro Games Expo a year or two before COVID. Literally bumped into him, we apologized to each other, and I said I recognized him from somewhere. He asked if I could remember where, and I couldn't, and we started a short kind of banter, but before we could talk more, a dozen folks identified him and swarmed us, begging for selfies. It was kind of unfortunate; he was clearly on his way out when we collided, but he was super gracious and happy to stop what he was doing to take selfies and sign things.

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Sep 5, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"Monkey cheese" is years older than the cartoon, at least late 90s

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
GLaDOS is a yandere.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

credburn posted:

I understand that "monkey cheese" is shorthand for that kind of random comedy that was really popular in the 00s. Didn't realize until now it's a reference to an actual cartoon, created by James Rolfe. Makes perfect sense. Ugh, I hope that guy didn't turn out to be a huge poo poo; I haven't paid any attention to him in quite a while but I recall reading that he was a really decent guy.

Only 4 episodes between 2004 and 2012, I'm pretty sure "munkey cheez" is named after the term "monkey cheese"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've been calling Russel Crowe Russel Brand and vice versa for ten years.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've been calling Russel Crowe Russel Brand and vice versa for ten years.

Call them Fat Russel and Thin Russel, it'll be easier to remember.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Russell Crowe is occasionally annoying, Russell Brand is always annoying, bing bong simple.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In Sweden, you can change your vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I can use face wash to wash the face under my beard.