Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Doing it like this ensures that we avoid developing an entrenched political class.

I love a good, German-style deadpan joke. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

John F Bennett posted:

Sounds complex, thanks for the info.

It’s the oldest and hence worst and most outdated democratic style political operating system still in active use.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Worst is objectively untrue

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

What's so special about September?

It tanked last September and brokers are superstitious?

January was the real fall, but Sept 1 2021 was also arguably the first stumble before the fall, I'm sure pfas or whoever will jump in with the correct trading term

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Antillie posted:

So is everyone here active traders or does anyone else just throw money into things like VTI or VOO and forget about it for 10+ years?

Is there a consensus on sector ETFs? Those kind of scratch the analysis and trading itch without being as volatile as individual stocks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sundae posted:

I love a good, German-style deadpan joke. :haw:

oh friend let me introduce you to the greatest joke ever told in that language

https://youtu.be/AS9ZA17qlQw

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hope some people were in uranium today like I’ve been :v:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cacafuego posted:

Hope some people were in uranium today like I’ve been :v:

Hope you took some iodine

drk
Jan 16, 2005
thats some explosive growth

drk
Jan 16, 2005
here's to the capital class thread posters

https://twitter.com/BrianFeroldi/status/1562517849830301697

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
My $FLNG (liquified natural gas shipping) got stolen away by covered calls. This after I had already rolled up-and-out previous covered calls that went into the money. I can't complain too much there though, made very good gains. I think that's probably a stealth advantage of covered calls, sometimes they "force" you to take profits and counter greedy instincts.

Not sure where I want to sink proceeds into next. I'm leaning towards $MRO (small cap oil) at the moment, they've been sinking almost all their oil profits into share buybacks (bought back like 10-15% of the total float just in the last year) and I'm curious if the large percentage buyback tsunami might potentially trigger a price squeeze. I know Congress passed a new 1% tax on share buybacks, but I read a pretty convincing article that noted said tax won't take effect until the new year, which incentivizes companies like MRO to try to jam in as much share buybacks as possible before the newyear. Add in Biden's Strategic Petroleum Reserve tapping being scheduled to end right around the midterm elections, and my half-baked theory is that MRO will moon at the end of the year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

In case anyone is curious, the doctors cut of any online visit is about $86 and anything less than that is being subsidized by VC money

Source: worked at one of these outfits for too long

Market value to the customer is about $75 so you're losing money with overhead under $110 or so (need to pay RNs to check prescriptions, back office to follow up with prescriptions, drug interactions, not killing patients, lawyers etc)

I am not long teladoc, barrier to entry is too low now

Double edit: this is a really good way to get treatment for UTI, that was about a quarter of our business. Mental health is going to grow in this space hugely, might become the profit center of the online health industry

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-shutting-down-care-telehealth-service-214850542.html

I guess Amazon got my memo

r.i.p. my shares in some non public telehealth corp

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-shutting-down-care-telehealth-service-214850542.html

I guess Amazon got my memo

r.i.p. my shares in some non public telehealth corp

The article posted:

You’ve heard me say it before, but I believe the health care space is ripe for reinvention

There shouldn't have been a second time for him to say it, because he should've been drowned in a well after the first time.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Looks like bud is back on the menu!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/KennethDredd/status/1562795152611381248?s=20&t=a7L5nM07YyNEB8qQnBmXmA

https://twitter.com/Larryjamieson_/status/1558786954074140672?s=20&t=a7L5nM07YyNEB8qQnBmXmA

how's your markets today my dudes

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Well my $ADBE puts are doing great! Everything else not so much

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well, now I want to know what that dude was actually saying

Baddog
May 12, 2001

longbois lol

:(

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Just looked at the DJIA (this is why I check this thread's unread post count; many posts = market up or down!)

:rubby:

Student loan forgiveness making traders freak out or did I miss some other event?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

downout posted:

Just looked at the DJIA (this is why I check this thread's unread post count; many posts = market up or down!)

:rubby:

Student loan forgiveness making traders freak out or did I miss some other event?

Jackson's hole saw its shadow

downout
Jul 6, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Jackson's hole saw its shadow

You weren't even kidding. "traders are eyeing jackson's hole" an actual title of a WSJ column

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't know how everyone talked themselves into pricing in an imminent end to rate hikes off of one good cpi reading

Leperflesh posted:

https://twitter.com/PantiBliss/status/1107696574979809280

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh my spanish is terrible and that guy's almost unintelligable, but that's... definitely not what he was saying either. :colbert:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Uh my spanish is terrible and that guy's almost unintelligable, but that's... definitely not what he was saying either. :colbert:
bless your heart

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
That's up there with the Hitler scene from Downfall in terms of fake subtitles.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/spanish-laughing-guy-el-risitas-interview-parodies

drk
Jan 16, 2005
anyone dabble in big pharma? it appears to be substantially profitable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I heard that there's this crazy fatty liver scanner it's under the radar right now but could go big any day

Also bought a leap for surgalign because lol :10bux:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Eager for a new bearish week ahead. Should be great watching ARK and especially ARKK crash into the ground.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
So what are some good dirty energy and clean energy plays, or all they all bid up? LNG is in high demand due to RUS/UKR war, and I assume there will be some clean energy beneficiaries somehow from the recent Inflation Reduction act, though I'm not sure if firms will benefit from government spending this year or further out in time.

I sold some puts on DVN/Devon Energy and NTR/Nutrien, which is a fertilizer play, also affected by NG prices, and a lot of governments also want to cut back on fertilizer production.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 29, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I heard some good things about First Solar but they went up 80% since July, so the I.R. Act is probably priced in now. They can only build so much. Might be interesting if it gets under $80 again (from $121 today).

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
FSLR is at a pivot, if it gaps back to 75 would be quite possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Eager for a new bearish week ahead. Should be great watching ARK and especially ARKK crash into the ground.

TQQQ puts for days

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

TQQQ puts for days

poo poo, wish I had thought of using the idiotic side of the leverage etfs for this. That's a good idea!

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

TQQQ puts for days

Yes because the 3x leverage isn’t priced into the option :magemage:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1564327213511606273

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

looking for a quick recommendation for the least bad ios app where i can buy stocks once in a while in the usa tyvm. my plan is to buy 7-11 stocks cause its my favorite restaurant

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Megl gonna get squuezed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah, I converted to all cash yesterday on my funbux account, minus my precious SoFi hoard, plus a single TQQQ put, and my untradable Russia sberbank, gazprom, and rsx

Very curious to see what happens through mid September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

JACK taking a big ol -10% dump today off of no news. Guess its just sell off after a decent run?