Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

shadow puppet of a posted:

Got a total of $10.02 credit to my Fido bill for netticaust 2022.

I feel like I'm going to get an email any day now clawing back that overcredited two cents.

Lmao if you don't think they'll try to get back the entire ten dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

Are their plans monthly now instead of 90 day increments? Meh. If it were ten bucks less it'd be worth it. Alas.

This not being grandfathered and locked down is also real inconvenient

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i was confused by how their new rewards system works too, but i assume it's worse for users. i just stuck with what i've got now which takes me down to around $33/mo. it's the 12 gigs over 3 months but that's more than enough for me for now

if anyone wants a $10 credit and save me another $1 i'll pm you my code lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i was confused by how their new rewards system works too, but i assume it's worse for users. i just stuck with what i've got now which takes me down to around $33/mo. it's the 12 gigs over 3 months but that's more than enough for me for now

if anyone wants a $10 credit and save me another $1 i'll pm you my code lol

It's worse for you and me, don't sign up for it. I did some research on it a couple months back.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah thanks, no worries there. i'm loathe to touch the account at all since i don't want my lte access to go away lol.

i'm sort of hoping i can push an apple watch cellular onto someones network somewhere since PM doesn't and will probably never support it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I see this on my Fido.ca offers page, I only have cable internet with them, but if you need to escape public mobile to use your apple watch you can get an extra six gigs in your three months cycle for nearly the same price as that PM megadeal was like 10 years ago.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

shadow puppet of a posted:

I see this on my Fido.ca offers page, I only have cable internet with them, but if you need to escape public mobile to use your apple watch

I think you can only use a cellular watch on Rogers/Bell/Telus and not on any of the subsidiaries.

Edit: there’s also a cellular thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492258

Evis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 14, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I'm in Europe right now and I just bought a prepaid SIM that has 80GB of data, 2000 min of talk (unlimited with numbers on Vodaphone) good for 28 days, for 5 euros.

What we have in Canada is god drat robbery.
Unbelievable.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I love not funding canadian telecoms anymore

Or really any inferior extortionate uncompetitive canadian industry/company artifically proped up by protectionist government policy tbh

ask me about ice cream.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 14, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Volguus posted:

I'm in Europe right now and I just bought a prepaid SIM that has 80GB of data, 2000 min of talk (unlimited with numbers on Vodaphone) good for 28 days, for 5 euros.

What we have in Canada is god drat robbery.
Unbelievable.
I was getting comparatively great deals in London ten years ago but the network ran like absolute poo poo. Texts would arrive out of order, phone calls would break down, and the only thing that behaved consistently was BBM. Sure they have a geographical advantage but they way over-sold.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Methanar posted:

ask me about ice cream.

What's your favorite

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

What's your favorite

tillamook rocky road with marshmellows. 5 dollars for a huge container. It would cost 15 in canada easily.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so worth it to make it urself imo

i splurge on nice dairy sometimes lol and it's obvious when the flavour is really simple. my fav is to do a sweet corn with a blackberry swirl

this year i did a very cherry custard with the cherries from our tree

topic content:

bell when the gently caress are u lighting up this fibre you had aecon string up months ago drat it

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
I generally manage my internet needs via throwing someone nearby some money and get wifi that way, but it's been a shitshow and I am looking at setting something up myself. I'm in Edmonton, and while I was poking around with what is available, I came across Oxio, and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, either good or bad or nightmare.

Like, on first looks, it seems pretty good (compared to Shaw, it has faster speeds, infinite data vs the Shaw cap, its monthly vs being only two year plans, no install fees and its like 25% cheaper than the most similar plan), and they break down how they make up bill costs and explicitly mention its to spite the bigger ISPs and the CRTC for being wishy-washy jerks about going back on reducing tariff fees and such, which I can get behind.

Some other poking around says its new to Alberta as of like this summer, but not new to BC/Ontario/Quebec, and I couldn't find anyone talking poo poo about it, just a few who seemed up on it.

So it seems too good to be true, and I am pretty cynical, but I figure someone might be able to throw in some more info here while I am looking at other options too, and if there is actually something good here that would be nice.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Karatela posted:

I generally manage my internet needs via throwing someone nearby some money and get wifi that way, but it's been a shitshow and I am looking at setting something up myself. I'm in Edmonton, and while I was poking around with what is available, I came across Oxio, and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, either good or bad or nightmare.

Like, on first looks, it seems pretty good (compared to Shaw, it has faster speeds, infinite data vs the Shaw cap, its monthly vs being only two year plans, no install fees and its like 25% cheaper than the most similar plan), and they break down how they make up bill costs and explicitly mention its to spite the bigger ISPs and the CRTC for being wishy-washy jerks about going back on reducing tariff fees and such, which I can get behind.

Some other poking around says its new to Alberta as of like this summer, but not new to BC/Ontario/Quebec, and I couldn't find anyone talking poo poo about it, just a few who seemed up on it.

So it seems too good to be true, and I am pretty cynical, but I figure someone might be able to throw in some more info here while I am looking at other options too, and if there is actually something good here that would be nice.

leave edmonton immediately its bad for you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public Mobile-rear end looking website lmao.

I'm sure Oxio is fine. They're just another 3rd party reseller with a fresh new gimmick, like TekSavvy 20 years ago, and with up to date routers.

Personally never heard of them until now.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Methanar posted:

leave edmonton immediately its bad for you

As another goon trapped in this city, I can confirm this is truth.

I've never heard of Oxio either but yeah they seem to be a more up to date TekSavvy. I'm personally on Telus fiber and other than obviously fisting me over cost it functions rather well.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I've never heard of Oxio either but yeah they seem to be a more up to date TekSavvy. I'm personally on Telus fiber and other than obviously fisting me over cost it functions rather well.

I live in las vegas now. Fled to america november 15th 2021 :911:

Every smug canadian that says canada is better has no idea wtf they are talking about.
My salary went up. Cost of living down. And taxes down. And my phone bill is now only 10 dollars a month.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 30, 2022

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Methanar posted:

Every smug canadian that says canada is better has no idea wtf they are talking about.
My salary went up. Cost of living down. And taxes down. And my phone bill is now only 10 dollars a month.

I’ve lived in 4+ US states and cities, including Vegas. If you’re not double or more the US median income Canada is much, much better. Despite our ridiculous telecoms pricing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Methanar posted:

Yes but how many times have you been gunned down in the last 10 months? Checkmate

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Edmonton is not a world-class metropolis, but it’s not that bad unless you’re complaining about the cold in which case you will not be happy here.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Karatela posted:

They've been around for about 2 years total in any province. It's another reseller. Nice website and some good words. I'm skeptical of a ceo with no other experience other than this company.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcandrecampagna/

They've only had an ASN since 2020-08-18 so pretty brand new. They just started peering with 2 other providers in August which is an improvement because any isp only peering with one source is bad.

https://bgp.he.net/AS398721#_whois

I dunno. Try it, if it doesn't work for you, cancel it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Methanar posted:

Wait until you need surgery/cancer treatments

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Edmonton is not a world-class metropolis, but it’s not that bad unless you’re complaining about the cold in which case you will not be happy here.

Honestly I feel the same about Winnipeg. Sure, it gets drat cold and the scenery is terrible, but I had the best cost-of-living and job security there. If I could move back, I would.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bell fibre was just installed in my area and I have a verbal offer of 1.5gbps for $75, 2 year term and $99/mo after that. I need to see how they're lying at the bell store but that's a really good price.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Nitr0 posted:

They've been around for about 2 years total in any province. It's another reseller. Nice website and some good words. I'm skeptical of a ceo with no other experience other than this company.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcandrecampagna/

They've only had an ASN since 2020-08-18 so pretty brand new. They just started peering with 2 other providers in August which is an improvement because any isp only peering with one source is bad.

https://bgp.he.net/AS398721#_whois

I dunno. Try it, if it doesn't work for you, cancel it?

Yeah that's pretty much where I am at I think, I'll report back on how this goes!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh my god :psyduck: "IPTV" services being sold on god drat amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/IPTV-Year-Subscription-Any-Device/dp/B09XKD7P9P/

The image even shows Disney, Fox, TNT etc!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Amazon is not exactly policed in terms of the products sold, so yeah "EzaLine" can just set up a storefront and sell shady subscription services until someone complains.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Amazon has abanded its whole storefront to whatever a vendor is willing to load into a csv and it runs on the backs of three in house maintenance programmers three of which are on a performance improvement plan at any time

Don’t believe me? Look for an iPhone case. Amazon stopped updating their left side navigation filters list of phones after the 11. They sell a million of those a year. They don’t care.

As someone who spends a lot of time shopping for cut rate soup on line a single person hired to flag totally wrong categories/images/descriptions could make a massive difference but they don’t want to dare get involved in approving the contents of those bulk upload vendor csv files.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats what frustrates me most about amazon, well, aside from literally all of their business practices. But the website itself is loving trash. You should be able to narrow down results by category to the finest degree, but its a crap shoot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah anything on amazon that isn’t a name brand I know and trust forget it. And even then it could be a scam.

Too bad it has murdered pretty much most alternatives.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They have all the resources in the world, literally. Jeff's great great great great great great great great grandkids would never notice the difference in their inheritance if he spent the money to optimize it but no, cant have that. Eat the rich and all that

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I use eBay more these days for my needful e-junk. It’s way easier to drill down and not get mired in AI-suggested irrelevant results. Plus cheaper for 3rd party niche bits and bobs that will all come from the same AmaAliBay dank warehouse of 13w3 to bnc sog video dongles.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Amazon's niche is kinda semi-brick n mortar, ie. you order from them with prime shipping and you'll receive the item *fast*. Not as fast as if you got off your rear end and bought it at real brick n mortar, but basically as fast as possible from a website.

For my 3d printing hobby I get better parts, cheaper from aliexpress. I get filament from amazon because of cheap shipping. I'll get some parts (8mm steel rod) from amazon because I need it fast and it's generic enough the quality isn't terrible.

I just ordered brake calipers for my car, they were on amazon and ebay from the same seller for the same (ludicrously cheap) price and I chose to order from ebay because I read something saying if you get a non-working item you can report it to ebay as "item not as described" and the seller is on the hook for return shipping cost.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If you want stuff fast as hell go digikey, it's mostly electronic components but they have some good nerdy stuff too like RPi kits etc.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Methanar posted:

:911:

drat I would have tried to setup some drinks had I known. I was in Vegas for a couple weeks covering blackhat/def con earlier this month.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mewse posted:

Amazon's niche is kinda semi-brick n mortar, ie. you order from them with prime shipping and you'll receive the item *fast*. Not as fast as if you got off your rear end and bought it at real brick n mortar, but basically as fast as possible from a website.

For my 3d printing hobby I get better parts, cheaper from aliexpress. I get filament from amazon because of cheap shipping. I'll get some parts (8mm steel rod) from amazon because I need it fast and it's generic enough the quality isn't terrible.

I just ordered brake calipers for my car, they were on amazon and ebay from the same seller for the same (ludicrously cheap) price and I chose to order from ebay because I read something saying if you get a non-working item you can report it to ebay as "item not as described" and the seller is on the hook for return shipping cost.

priznat posted:

If you want stuff fast as hell go digikey, it's mostly electronic components but they have some good nerdy stuff too like RPi kits etc.

If you're still in the same place as when you lent me those tools I broke, Digikey is based in Thief River Falls down highway 59. I've placed orders with them over the phone at 3am and have had my parcel arrive later that day. Shipping is usually around $8 which is pretty decent for same-day delivery with FedEx.

For stuff like bar stock, steel plate or angle iron, Metal Supermarket has been great whenever I need something for whatever project I'm working on, especially if it's just a small piece and I don't want to buy an entire unit of material. They've just let me wander around to find something that works and if it's not complicated they cut stuff to size using their industrial equipment at no extra cost, which ends up saving me a ton of time compared to online ordering. Admittedly my metal working area isn't that great, but even if it was it probably wouldn't hold a candle to a hydraulic press the size of a bus. I wish my machinist friend told me about the place sooner.

Do you know anything about alpha@play? It opened near me where a tabletop games place used to be, and I think it's an extension of the upstairs business owner's 3D printing hobby. It seems neat as a local place I can get stuff 3D scanned and printed without having to bug a friend and take up their printer time, but I have no frame of reference for if their filament prices and selection are good or overpriced or what. A friend's husband works there so if it's not a ripoff I wouldn't mind tossing some business their way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I really want to see Digikey's fulfillment setup is because you can order the most random number of whatever discrete parts and they will still arrive the next day all bagged up. They must have some kind of automated part shooters that fill up the bags, prints the label and flings it into a box. Always blown away how fast the stuff arrives. If it's people doing it they're amazing.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:911:

drat I would have tried to setup some drinks had I known. I was in Vegas for a couple weeks covering blackhat/def con earlier this month.

Yet again reminded that you got me on these cursed forums all those years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Yet again reminded that you got me on these cursed forums all those years ago

Holy poo poo he lives. I might be in Calgary next month for a conference; I'll hit you up if so :gooncamp: