Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And yet Raggi allegedly pays well and on time, which is apparently somewhat rare???

well he keeps his overhead low by not buying any clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
That's Matt Pike cosplay, thank you very much.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

hyphz posted:

They’re really trying with Campaign Theater, but since Paizo may be throwing them under the bus now, that might not make it..

Their current thing is what amounts to an online ebook version of the books with some basic enhanced searching and filtering, and while it's a good thing to have, sure, it still does nothing for their main issue, which is that everything's built around being a web app and they've only ever managed the barest level of support for things that would actually be a value-add to an online-only tool, like active syncing with VTTs.

Of course, it also really doesn't help that they regularly go dead silent on all communications for 6+ months at a time, so even people who have previously had some idea of what's happening inside that company (like me) have no idea what's going on or what they're even doing with the full-time work of like 6-10 people.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Hero Lab or Paizo? Hero Lab’s much more than an online reference.

It still stinks that it’s a web app, but there’s no way around that these days. Gotta get those sweet SaaS subscriptions even if it kills the planet.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

hyphz posted:

Hero Lab or Paizo? Hero Lab’s much more than an online reference.

It still stinks that it’s a web app, but there’s no way around that these days. Gotta get those sweet SaaS subscriptions even if it kills the planet.

What I mean is that the only new functionality of any substance that's been launched for Hero Lab anytime recently is that online reference. They did Campaign Theater before that, but it's basically pointless for anyone already using a VTT... when at this point the people using VTTs should probably be their major target audience, since they're the ones who have already gone all-in on needing an internet connection for all their games.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

For what it's worth BitC has indeed been removed fro Drivethru.

Author said they'd do that once the rights reverted to them, so I guess that's something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm almost scared to ask what Blood in the Chocolate is even about at this point.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm almost scared to ask what Blood in the Chocolate is even about at this point.

Industrial espionage.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Imagine this

but purple and owning a chocolate factory

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a dungeon-crawl module for Lamentations of the Flame Princess which is basically "what if Willy Wonka's chocolate factory was a D&D dungeon but with a bunch of gross sex and racism poo poo." The female Willy Wonka expy is a predatory lesbian sex-fiend into inflicting pain, the Oompa-Loompas are racist pygmy caricatures that rape people when they aren't cannibalizing them, of course there are numerous opportunities for people to end up inflating like that one bit in the movie with the blueberry gum (it's a whole fetish thing, you see), etc. It's like peak edgelord tryhardism, and I'll be honest, the claims by the creator that the intent was to be a critique of colonial capitalism did not strike me as remarkably apparent in the text. Like there's a factory and the factory owner is bad and doing bad things, but that's about as deep as it really gets, there's nothing in there that's more insightful or particularly unique than that.

It also, and I realize this is pretty low on the list as far as it goes, does that thing a bunch of OSR adventures did for a while which is "actually doing this adventure is a bust and also makes everything worse for everyone, and you should probably just not have done it." There's no real payoff for doing the dungeon unless you want to become an evil chocolate factory owner yourself, and there's an exceedingly high chance that everyone will wind up cursed or afflicted with some sort of incurable candy-disease that ends up spreading once they leave the factory, so the punchline to the whole affair is one big "gotcha!" That it won a gold award for best adventure is pretty dire even if you divorce it from all the sketchy poo poo.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 30, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are there any RPGs that do the whole "this stuff is beyond your comprehension and weird stuff is going to happen and it will gently caress you up in unimaginable ways" thing well? WFRP3E's corruption is the only one I've experience with that approaches it but i mean like weird weird, like roadside picnic the original novel: The RPG

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm at least a little glad that BITC has fallen off away enough from public consciousness that there are people who've never heard of it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Are there any RPGs that do the whole "this stuff is beyond your comprehension and weird stuff is going to happen and it will gently caress you up in unimaginable ways" thing well? WFRP3E's corruption is the only one I've experience with that approaches it but i mean like weird weird, like roadside picnic the original novel: The RPG

Unknown Armies? A lot of the stuff that fucks you up in UA is comprehensible stuff like violence and trauma but there's also a bunch of weird stuff that can gently caress you up like "here's a metaphysical pocket dimension designed to break down your sense of self and rebuild it as the polar opposite of what you once were" not to mention the conceit between 2nd and 3rd edition UA is "the whole world reset because it hit the magic number of fundamental ascended cosmic archetypes only a bunch of people who were keyed into the occult underground remember the last version of the world, so you used to be a horrible goblin-person having knife fights over one of Elvis' half-drunk cans of beer and now you're a middle-class suburban mom with two kids and a minivan."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Splicer posted:

Heart is pretty good at 'you're exploring an alien parasite reality and will be changed by it.' The character advancement even includes apex abilities which signal the end of a character'd adventuring career. Some of them involve going home, others include becoming part of the alien deep or being destroyed by it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

It's a dungeon-crawl module for Lamentations of the Flame Princess which is basically "what if Willy Wonka's chocolate factory was a D&D dungeon but with a bunch of gross sex and racism poo poo." The female Willy Wonka expy is a predatory lesbian sex-fiend into inflicting pain, the Oompa-Loompas are racist pygmy caricatures that rape people when they aren't cannibalizing them, of course there are numerous opportunities for people to end up inflating like that one bit in the movie with the blueberry gum (it's a whole fetish thing, you see), etc. It's like peak edgelord tryhardism, and I'll be honest, the claims by the creator that the intent was to be a critique of colonial capitalism did not strike me as remarkably apparent in the text. Like there's a factory and the factory owner is bad and doing bad things, but that's about as deep as it really gets, there's nothing in there that's more insightful or particularly unique than that.

The chaser is the PCs are not there to stop the factory or destroy it which would make sense but instead are sent by other factory owners. So basically it's Shadowrun for the kink set. I'm kidding, that's a much better soundbite than it deserves.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Splicer posted:

Trophy Dark, if you like one shots. It's understood that the characters are likely doomed from the start, so there's lots of room for weirdness.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
In Trophy Dark you're definitely doomed, in Trophy Gold you're doomed if you don't retire.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Halloween Jack posted:

In Trophy Dark you're definitely doomed, in Trophy Gold you're doomed if you don't retire.

Haven't played Gold yet, but I got the impression that, since it's aiming for campaign play, there aren't as many weird moments happening that change you. Debt is your doom, basically.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Coolness Averted posted:

Heart is pretty good at 'you're exploring an alien parasite reality and will be changed by it.' The character advancement even includes apex abilities which signal the end of a character'd adventuring career. Some of them involve going home, others include becoming part of the alien deep or being destroyed by it.

This reminded me of a good one for surreality along similar lines which is Don't Rest Your Head.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Splicer posted:

I feel like Fate of Cthulhu does a pretty good job of this, with its emphasis on rewriting your character’s Aspects as they become more exposed to warping influences (and associating new Stunts with them so they become ever-more overt parts of their repertoire). It all struck me as very Brundlefly.

Ars Magica actually has elements of this too, depending on how much your troupe leans into Warping and the weirder parts of Houses like Criamon and Merinita.

Kai Tave posted:

This reminded me of a good one for surreality along similar lines which is Don't Rest Your Head.

Ooh, good catch. Been ages since I played that one.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 30, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
I like Jason Cordova, the Gauntlet, and Trophy, but I am baffled as to why they decided to do modules like Blood in the Chocolate and Something Stinks in Stilton on their podcast. I was driving to do some volunteer work, already late, got stuck in a huge traffic jam that was going to detour me basically through another town entirely, and trying to relax with a module review podcast. And they start talking about how this module is about about a guy who's literally milking his daughter and that's the only time in my life I've ever screamed and punched the steering wheel over and over. What is wrong with people?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I like Jason Cordova, the Gauntlet, and Trophy, but I am baffled as to why they decided to do modules like Blood in the Chocolate and Something Stinks in Stilton on their podcast.

https://twitter.com/gauntletrpg/status/1083007137964609536

https://twitter.com/gauntletrpg/status/1083022641290715137

These are in a thread which was billed as positive statements about gaming. The thing about the Gauntlet is that while it’s produced a lot of great stuff, it’s also a community which has convinced itself that it’s uniquely great and thus that its poo poo doesn’t stink.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Thanlis posted:

https://twitter.com/gauntletrpg/status/1083007137964609536

https://twitter.com/gauntletrpg/status/1083022641290715137

These are in a thread which was billed as positive statements about gaming. The thing about the Gauntlet is that while it’s produced a lot of great stuff, it’s also a community which has convinced itself that it’s uniquely great and thus that its poo poo doesn’t stink.

I played one Gauntlet one shot and had a dude tell me that I was taking away his player agency by insinuating that his nerd character wouldn’t like the metal that my burnout character was listening to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lumbermouth posted:

I played one Gauntlet one shot and had a dude tell me that I was taking away his player agency by insinuating that his nerd character wouldn’t like the metal that my burnout character was listening to.

He was right

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If someone does some Ben Shapiro mayhaps you have slandered me poo poo to something so innocuous, I don’t want to play with them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Telling you that your choices aren't valid and are hurting his autonomy is the bigger agency theft.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Glitch. The character's are eldritch horrors who find normal existence to be terrifying and Wrong.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Thanlis posted:

This is a very neat summary of my problems with the Gauntlet, thank you.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
I met a lot of nice folks through the Gauntlet, like Rich Rogers and Lowell Francis, but the big problem with the community is Cordova himself. He's a petty rear end in a top hat who likes to poo poo-talk other designers in private, occasionally pick fights with them for no reason in public, and kick hornet's nests to be "provocative," "a devil's advocate," and "get the Gauntlet name out there," as best I can remember his exact words. And yeah, he's big into OSR edgelord bullshit. He had numerous episodes talking about how much he loved Zak S modules back in the day, and on the Gauntlet Slack he privately called ZS a "genius" and said he was the best writer in TTRPGs. Most or all of that was scrubbed after ZS was outed as a rapist. Almost everything positive about Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Carcosa or whatever goes back to Cordova.

He also blew the whole community up a few years ago when he kicked out a co-organizer over a minor Twitter disagreement, then lied to the community that it was a mutual decision, lied that he was taking a step back, used the official Gauntlet blog and twitter to harass her, lied that he was completely giving up control of the Gauntlet, revealed he had inoperable brain cancer to try to get sympathy when he got called on his poo poo (it seems he got better), etc. Most of the old guard Gauntlet members left and got replaced by people who don't know he's a dick, from what I could see before I too left. It's a much less active community, and one with a lot fewer designers, but I doubt he cares with the success his own publishing has brought him.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Blind Azathoth posted:

I met a lot of nice folks through the Gauntlet, like Rich Rogers and Lowell Francis, but the big problem with the community is Cordova himself. He's a petty rear end in a top hat who likes to poo poo-talk other designers in private, occasionally pick fights with them for no reason in public, and kick hornet's nests to be "provocative," "a devil's advocate," and "get the Gauntlet name out there," as best I can remember his exact words. And yeah, he's big into OSR edgelord bullshit. He had numerous episodes talking about how much he loved Zak S modules back in the day, and on the Gauntlet Slack he privately called ZS a "genius" and said he was the best writer in TTRPGs. Most or all of that was scrubbed after ZS was outed as a rapist. Almost everything positive about Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Carcosa or whatever goes back to Cordova.

He also blew the whole community up a few years ago when he kicked out a co-organizer over a minor Twitter disagreement, then lied to the community that it was a mutual decision, lied that he was taking a step back, used the official Gauntlet blog and twitter to harass her, lied that he was completely giving up control of the Gauntlet, revealed he had inoperable brain cancer to try to get sympathy when he got called on his poo poo (it seems he got better), etc. Most of the old guard Gauntlet members left and got replaced by people who don't know he's a dick, from what I could see before I too left. It's a much less active community, and one with a lot fewer designers, but I doubt he cares with the success his own publishing has brought him.
Thanks for giving a succinct summary. I had heard mentions of Cordova being an rear end, but never really knew what he did. I don't listen to the podcast or read the blog, so I didn't know he liked Zak S so much either. I've mostly used the Gauntlet as a funnel for Trophy content and occasional design forum stuff and finding players on the Slack.

Wish Jesse Ross didn't hitch the Trophy wagon to him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

how can that be taking away his player agency when that's the kind of poo poo people say to each other all the time irl

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Fandom sells of its TTRPG business to Dire Wolf Digital. This includes Cortex Prime.

https://about.fandom.com/news/dire-wolf-digital-acquires-fandoms-tabletop-business

This felt like it was in the works (Fandom divesting, not DWD acquiring) for a long time.

Sounds like Legends of Grayskull has been tabled/scrapped.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 30, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
For anyone who was curious about what Fandom's plans for Cortex were once they sold the rights to D&D Beyond back to WotC, we now know: They're selling Cortex Prime and Tales of Xadia to Dire Wolf Digital. They don't mention the He-Man RPG, so assume that game fell between the cracks and is never happening until further notice.

EDIT: Keen beat me to posting about it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Over The Edge

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CitizenKeen posted:

Fandom sells of its TTRPG business to Dire Wolf Digital. This includes Cortex Prime.

https://about.fandom.com/news/dire-wolf-digital-acquires-fandoms-tabletop-business

This felt like it was in the works (Fandom divesting, not DWD acquiring) for a long time.

Sounds like Legends of Grayskull has been tabled/scrapped.

Goddamn, Cam Banks is cursed or something. At least he gets to live in New Zealand, one of the less objectionable provinces of Western hegemony. Until it gets swallowed by the ocean, anyway.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Splicer posted:

Echoing that this is Glitch 100%, and refreshingly all the weirdness and changes characters go through are entirely determined by player agency, instead of a mean spirited plot gotcha or a bad random table roll. The game is very good at encouraging players to buy power now in exchange for disaster later, and providing a framework that guides players to choose for themselves what that disaster should be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Echoing that this is Glitch 100%, and refreshingly all the weirdness and changes characters go through are entirely determined by player agency
Ah

You see

What I want is a game where characters get all messed up from things neither they nor their players could have accurately foreseen because crunchy mechanics and tables, but also it's fun and fair.

So the player wants their character to touch the orb because it might be treasure. But then they touch the orb and now they're inside out and, if they're lucky, dead. And the player wanted to avoid their character turning inside out but also does not regret having a go at touching the orb.

I'd also like world peace.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 30, 2022

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Splicer posted:

Ah

You see

What I want is a game where characters get all messed up from things they could not have foreseen because crunchy mechanics and tables, but also it's fun and fair.
Ok now I want that too. Someone make a game, please.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I learn so many things from this thread, usually to my regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Ok now I want that too. Someone make a game, please.

de novo generation of the properties and possible interactions of "things" (creatures, magic/tech, hazards) + infinite clones/resurrections + light legacy mechanics to give a tiny impact to your (in)glorious demises = probably pretty fun if you have a spreadsheet/file/app to track it