Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've only ever seen boss-relative used for the sword/hair mechanics, everything else is done with true north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
boss relative is good for melees cause they're already constantly thinking about their positioning relative to the boss

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spoken like someone who hasn’t grouped with me-as-melee.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Boss relative is good for coordinated groups or parse groups. True north is good for PF strats and "just want to clear" groups where you're trying to eliminate as many points of failure as possible, because it means you can orient on the same markers every time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Finally unlocked mentor roulette tonight :toot:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boss-relative works much better for my brain than true north. Still, I'd only want it for Hair Raid in that fight, for everything else the boss direction isn't really clear enough

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Alxprit posted:

I like true north because I only have to remember one marker and it's my marker forever

Yeah true north spreads made more sense to me because of this. My clock position is the C marker and that's all I need to know.

Also in phase 2 you have to use true north spreads positions so you may as well be consistent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm already constantly spinning my camera to get a good view for positionals so it's much easier to lose track of a waymark than to lose track of the boss' back-right corner

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally did the main patch content. Did the raids last night so I could get the weeklie, overall all incredibly fun fights except P8 which was a bit lame? The MSQ was good, although I was dissapointed in who the trial was (game spoiled me) until I saw the arena

Haven't done the sidequests or Island Sanctuary yet, I have to start work now but from what I've gathered in this threas IS is good apparently. Gonna have to check some tips if it involves timers and management though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdylOkQ6ZP0

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

There’s been no updates on female hrothgar besides “they’re coming someday” right?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

There’s been no updates on female hrothgar besides “they’re coming someday” right?

I really really hope they're buff. I'm so worried they're gonna go the other way with them

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
I settled on an Island Sanctuary outfit. No, I don't think owning capital has changed me. Why do you ask?

"I'm just doing what comes naturally."

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Yeah, nothing yet. I was originally one of those that was pretty sure we'd be getting them during 6.x, but now I'm leaning pretty heavily towards them coming with the graphics update in 7.0. Why put a bunch of work into something that's just going to need to be redone in a few months?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Crackerjack posted:

I settled on an Island Sanctuary outfit. No, I don't think owning capital has changed me. Why do you ask?

This is incredible

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I really really hope they're buff. I'm so worried they're gonna go the other way with them

Me too! No offense to people who like the fem au ra, but I do not want that for girl hrothgars!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Onean posted:

Yeah, nothing yet. I was originally one of those that was pretty sure we'd be getting them during 6.x, but now I'm leaning pretty heavily towards them coming with the graphics update in 7.0. Why put a bunch of work into something that's just going to need to be redone in a few months?

It’s unlikely that it would all have to be redone for a graphics update. I doubt they’re redoing all the other races/genders from scratch, for example. (But maybe! These folks are a little nuts.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Me too! No offense to people who like the fem au ra, but I do not want that for girl hrothgars!

If Hrothgirls can't bench press the other races, what's the point?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Subjunctive posted:

It’s unlikely that it would all have to be redone for a graphics update. I doubt they’re redoing all the other races/genders from scratch, for example. (But maybe! These folks are a little nuts.)

They're at least doing a bunch of work on textures and shaders from what they've shown off. Hair is also getting a lot of attention. It's hard to say outside of that since they've only shown headshots, but those alone are a lot.

Stuff like concept art, animation decisions and maybe even rigging will likely carry over pretty well, so that wouldn't have to be done twice in short succession. But textures and shaders would, and possibly models if they're doing any extensive work there (which would also likely need some rigging work).

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This made me laugh though

Ah yeah that bit is great

I'm hoping on the outside chance that whoever made that gets a moment in the alliance raids

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WHY THE gently caress DOES P5S HIT SO HARD

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Crackerjack posted:

Please stop giving me war flashbacks in the middle of class.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Vitamean posted:

show me ya raid glam

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
well thread, i did it. decided i wanted to do ex4 before savage unlock and managed last night. my first at-level ex clear, even!

... i parsed grey, but hey a clear's a clear. time to drill the rotation until i have it down before i PF some savages.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cheetah7071 posted:

boss relative is good for melees cause they're already constantly thinking about their positioning relative to the boss

This is the #1 reason true north is better.

Melee players must be punished.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

WHY THE gently caress DOES P5S HIT SO HARD

DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK PROTO-CARBUNCLE IS COOKIN?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Seriously getting grabbed by Proto Carby is an experience is there anything you can do there to not die besides the obvious don't fail the mechanic to begin with.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Why did I just have the thought that they could increase XIV app money even more by letting you micromanage your island from it as well as your retainers.

drat it.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Seriously getting grabbed by Proto Carby is an experience is there anything you can do there to not die besides the obvious don't fail the mechanic to begin with.

Nope! That's a 999999 hit. Press Sprint and don't get hit, that's all you can do.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

P5S cleared, the start of P6S is pretty fun.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Did savage pugs for the first time this morning! Was actually pretty neat, I was impressed by how quickly people were figuring out and executing mechanics (my first pug in one lockout got further into P5S than my casual static got into P1S in like a week lol). With a tier of savage under my belt I am beginning to be able to spot common mechanics a ton more easily. I'm sad I didn't try the pug life earlier, it's a lot less intense than I'd feared. Altho I'm sure the quality is going to go down once it's not the crowd who logged in immediately after release.

I did three lockouts with fresh parties as monk, summoner, and sage just to see which role I'm most interested in. SGE felt pretty intense, the tanks were getting murderated but if I spent ogcds on them then the party would get murderated on the next AE. I felt like I was spamming way too many GCDs. I was pretty tired tho and I look forward to trying it again sometime, it feels like there's a lot of optimization I can do which is fun. For now I'm gonna gear up my MNK and flex to SMN or SGE when I feel like it.

As far as P5S itself I really really suck at bouncy bite, but my guess is there's some simpler way of thinking about it that will get me through it reliably. At least, I hope so! haha

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chomposaur posted:

Did savage pugs for the first time this morning! Was actually pretty neat, I was impressed by how quickly people were figuring out and executing mechanics (my first pug in one lockout got further into P5S than my casual static got into P1S in like a week lol). With a tier of savage under my belt I am beginning to be able to spot common mechanics a ton more easily. I'm sad I didn't try the pug life earlier, it's a lot less intense than I'd feared. Altho I'm sure the quality is going to go down once it's not the crowd who logged in immediately after release.

I did three lockouts with fresh parties as monk, summoner, and sage just to see which role I'm most interested in. SGE felt pretty intense, the tanks were getting murderated but if I spent ogcds on them then the party would get murderated on the next AE. I felt like I was spamming way too many GCDs. I was pretty tired tho and I look forward to trying it again sometime, it feels like there's a lot of optimization I can do which is fun. For now I'm gonna gear up my MNK and flex to SMN or SGE when I feel like it.

As far as P5S itself I really really suck at bouncy bite, but my guess is there's some simpler way of thinking about it that will get me through it reliably. At least, I hope so! haha

There's only two different patterns that the boss can jump in, it's kinda hard to explain via words but basically if the boss doubles back, you won't need to, and vice versa. I would really recommend looking up a vid to explain things because once I saw how it worked and was told how to move it just clicked for me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh, so you can log out/log in from Sanctuary. That's real cool. I guess when you log out your instance is also freed so you can let other go in? Not sure how house instances work.

EDIT: Also minions are adorable- oh god is the Onion Knight spouting Allag propaganda

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well the Onion Knights were Allagan soldiers, IIRC.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Chomposaur posted:

Grats
PF is self selecting in a way where if you stay on the prog curve early you’ll be in a pool of more competent players who are also working though stuff quicker. Variance in player quality definitely starts to go up as time goes on, although it’s somewhat countermeasured by peoples gear gradually improving.

Not to say you can’t clear later or anything but if you’ve got good momentum don’t be scared to ride it out

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

There's only two different patterns that the boss can jump in, it's kinda hard to explain via words but basically if the boss doubles back, you won't need to, and vice versa. I would really recommend looking up a vid to explain things because once I saw how it worked and was told how to move it just clicked for me.

Ah thank you! Definitely clarified what I need to do there.

RME posted:

Grats
PF is self selecting in a way where if you stay on the prog curve early you’ll be in a pool of more competent players who are also working though stuff quicker. Variance in player quality definitely starts to go up as time goes on, although it’s somewhat countermeasured by peoples gear gradually improving.

Not to say you can’t clear later or anything but if you’ve got good momentum don’t be scared to ride it out

Also thanks! Looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Doing 6.2 right now I think. Would this make more sense if I'd done the Reaper quests? I don't remember a voidsent attached to Zenos whatsoever.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Doing 6.2 right now I think. Would this make more sense if I'd done the Reaper quests? I don't remember a voidsent attached to Zenos whatsoever.

I guess it would make a bit more sense since you would get the formal explanation of a reaper's whole deal, but Zenos's voidsent was on full display several times in Endwalker, I really don't know how you could have missed it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It was really big and obvious so I’m not sure doing the reaper quests would have helped all that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I don't know how that's possible :psyduck: