Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Maigius posted:

Did someone poo poo in the sink?

that's none of ur concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nexxai posted:

:perfect:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A Frosty Witch posted:

Bringing back this stupid bullshit I had to deal with at the tv station.

Look how far I've come :allears:

a new username! can i still reference you as larches, though

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Maigius posted:

Did someone poo poo in the sink?

If I remember correctly, someone dumped about 6 solid pounds of beans, a washcloth, and a few forks in a non-functioning garbage disposal.

But also

nexxai posted:

my cat is norris posted:

a new username! can i still reference you as larches, though

Ehhhhh I'd prefer not, tbh. My old username was a spoonerism of my deadname and I'm trying to escape that, if you don't mind.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

A Frosty Witch posted:

If I remember correctly, someone dumped about 6 solid pounds of beans, a washcloth, and a few forks in a non-functioning garbage disposal.

But also

Ehhhhh I'd prefer not, tbh. My old username was a spoonerism of my deadname and I'm trying to escape that, if you don't mind.

That's perfectly fair. I only really identify people by the avatar in my peripheral vison, anyway.

There are a lot of old quotes and posts that'll make less sense, though. Oh well. Life is chaotic and confusing anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello, A Frosty Witch. :glomp:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If anybody changed their avatar here I'd never be able to keep up

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had avatars turned off for over a decade. Things stopped making sense ages ago.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Someone go and put Frosty in place of the other username in references thx

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat now we have to redub the Out Of IT song

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Thanks Ants posted:

If anybody changed their avatar here I'd never be able to keep up

Yours is especially confusing because there is another user with handle Charles Leclerc who posts somewhere else in SH/SC

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I've had avatars turned off for over a decade. Things stopped making sense ages ago.

I run with avs off as well. There's a handful of people that I can recognize based on style/content, everyone else is the same person.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

Bleep it out so it sounds more threatening

Fragrag posted:

Yours is especially confusing because there is another user with handle Charles Leclerc who posts somewhere else in SH/SC

I'm fairly sure they are responsible for this avatar

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

I run with avs off as well. There's a handful of people that I can recognize based on style/content, everyone else is the same person.

I knew I made it as a big time something awful poster when people started making unprompted jokes about my AV. Almost changed it a few months back too but decided against it.

The ironic part is that I've never worked in a call center. I don't even work in IT.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Renegret posted:

I knew I made it as a big time something awful poster when people started making unprompted jokes about my AV. Almost changed it a few months back too but decided against it.

The ironic part is that I've never worked in a call center. I don't even work in IT.

I've had this av for ages, except for a short stint where someone gave me a red text avatar after I made fun of them for posting horny poo poo about Samus Aran.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Fool posted:

This but with avatars not names. I'll barely notice a name change but if you change your av you're basically an entirely new person to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I mean gently caress when I got redtexted I was confused as to who this new person who was very active in all my threads was.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the equivalent of name/avatar face blindness. Makes modding real interesting. Sorry / you're welcome in advance for thinking you're a bigger / lesser rear end in a top hat than you really are.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Internet Explorer posted:

Hello, A Frosty Witch. :glomp:

Hello!

Data Graham posted:

Honestly the people who know will still know and the people who don't will be super confused and I like either option, honestly.

One day I'll get a decent job. Nothing bad will happen. I'll have nothing to post about anymore. I'll just sort of fade away.

And one day you're gonna wake up, eat your breakfast, brush your teeth, go about your business. And sooner or later, you're gonna realize you haven't thought about me and my career. None of it. And that's the moment you realize it was none of your concern.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

A Frosty Witch posted:

One day I'll get a decent job. Nothing bad will happen. I'll have nothing to post about anymore. I'll just sort of fade away.

wicked saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've had a relatively uneventful (compared to many posters itt, anyway) career and that hasn't stopped me from posting

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

I've had a relatively uneventful (compared to many posters itt, anyway) career and that hasn't stopped me from posting

somehow the only part of my career thats remarkable is that I have managed to have one while my person live burns down like its going out of style

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

yeah same here. for all that I complain it's because my will has been ground down to nothing through the slow yet steady grind of being a cog in the corporate machine.

All things considered my job is pretty good, I just don't care anymore.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I care about trying to protect my team from your management. It's a losing battle, but worth the effort. I care about fixing outages, insofar at my team has any role to play. I don't care about projects and deadlines. We do our best in our 40 hours and get the results we get.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

A Frosty Witch posted:

And one day you're gonna wake up, eat your breakfast, brush your teeth, go about your business. And sooner or later, you're gonna realize you haven't thought about me and my career. None of it. And that's the moment you realize it was none of your concern.

False. You disappeared for a while and I was still thinking about you. The point of the adventure was the concern we made along the way :glomp:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
At my second job, little hole in the wall computer shop, I found CP on a customer computer while doing backups for a Windows reinstall. And I'm not saying "She might be 16 might be 20." I'm saying "Holy poo poo, she's ten."

I told the owner and he said he'd take care of it. The next day was my day off, the day after that I come in and the computer is gone.

"What happened with eight thirty three?"
"Got picked up yesterday."
"... what did the cops say?
"What cops?"
"... that was the computer with the ... pictures... ?"
"Yeah? It's his business what's in his computer. Would you want your mechanic calling the cops on the weed in your backseat?"
"... but?"
"Let me make this clear. If you call the cops on one of my customers, you're fired."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Volmarias posted:

This but with avatars not names. I'll barely notice a name change but if you change your av you're basically an entirely new person to me.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the equivalent of name/avatar face blindness. Makes modding real interesting. Sorry / you're welcome in advance for thinking you're a bigger / lesser rear end in a top hat than you really are.

Yeah when Agrikk changed from that orange one I got very confused as to who this new guy with a Warhammer? Starcraft? gothic warrior thingywhatever avatar was who kept posting like Agrikk. Probably took me a solid month to adjust mentally.

(100% lying, I still haven't adjusted completely).

So no one else change avatars or we will all be very mad at you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sfwarlock posted:

At my second job, little hole in the wall computer shop, I found CP on a customer computer while doing backups for a Windows reinstall. And I'm not saying "She might be 16 might be 20." I'm saying "Holy poo poo, she's ten."

I told the owner and he said he'd take care of it. The next day was my day off, the day after that I come in and the computer is gone.

"What cops?"
"Yeah? It's his business what's in his computer. Would you want your mechanic calling the cops on the weed in your backseat?"
"... but?"
"Let me make this clear. If you call the cops on one of my customers, you're fired."

Holy poo poo

How long did it take you to quit after that

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sfwarlock posted:

"What cops?"
"... but?"

So your boss is complicit and tried to make you complicit?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sfwarlock posted:

"What cops?"
"... but?"

Call the cops, sue for wrongful termination. Also if he knowingly surpressed evidence he is more than likely an actual criminal.

Generally speaking, never report crime to a superior, always directly the police. Far too many people want to sweep poo poo under a rug, but no one can officially give you poo poo for reporting crimes to police. So they might say "Haha should have come to me haha", but few would dare reprimand anyone for doing it. Many will try and stop you from going to the police however.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 30, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ConfusedUs posted:

So your boss is complicit and tried to make you complicit?

That’s what I was thinking. You’ve got to report that poo poo or you are, while not guilty of the actual act, complicit. Failing to report a crime can be a crime, depending. And on that one, gently caress him, and gently caress the shop owner. Probably made a copy for himself and a deal for more in exchange.
Or maybe it’s just that the almighty dollar is more important to him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah when Agrikk changed from that orange one I got very confused as to who this new guy with a Warhammer? Starcraft? gothic warrior thingywhatever avatar was who kept posting like Agrikk. Probably took me a solid month to adjust mentally.

(100% lying, I still haven't adjusted completely).

So no one else change avatars or we will all be very mad at you.

I've been an http 418 joke for a decade now, its gonna stay some form of that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nthing that the correct response there is to call the cops and turn your boss in too. Solid odds you count as a mandatory reporter in whatever part of the world you occupy.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A Frosty Witch posted:

And that's why I asked! Ms. Witch it is. :glomp:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SEKCobra posted:

Generally speaking, never report crime to a superior, always directly the police. Far too many people want to sweep poo poo under a rug, but no one can officially give you poo poo for reporting crimes to police. So they might say "Haha should have come to me haha", but few would dare reprimand anyone for doing it. Many will try and stop you from going to the police however.

This is bad advice. Its going to depend heavily on the crime. CP? I am going to im/email my boss while I am on the phone with the police. A fist fight in the lobby? I am reaching out to security and letting security handle the issue and the reporting to authorities. I discover fraud? I follow company procedure in the reporting process and let compliance and legal take care of everything.

There are a great number of very serious crimes or emergencies make sense to directly contact the police yourself as you find it. There are also a great number of things that need to go through a proper channel or you are about to get poo poo on.

The point is that a company is going to demand that certain people take care of these issues for all but the most serious stuff.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 30, 2022

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
In a perfect world you should be going to your boss imo. In a properly functioning environment, your boss should have procedures, information, and training specific to the situation not available to you.

But yeah if boss drops the ball I would say you have an ethical responsibility to report. Though at that point it can be really scary especially if you're young and inexperienced.

e: in which to say, I'm not specifically calling out sfwarlock because it's a very difficult line to cross, especially when you get directly threatened like that. My wife is the director at a daycare and part of the mandated reporter training is, if I gently caress up, you need to call CPS on me, else you're personality liable. It's a very difficult concept to get through to the teachers.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 30, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sickening posted:

This is bad advice. Its going to depend heavily on the crime. CP? I am going to im/email my boss while I am on the phone with the police. A fist fight in the lobby? I am reaching out to security and letting security handle the issue and the reporting to authorities. I discover fraud? I follow company procedure in the reporting process and let compliance and legal take care of everything.

There are a great number of very serious crimes or emergencies make sense to directly contact the police yourself as you find it. There are also a great number of things that need to go through a proper channel or you are about to get poo poo on.

The point is that a company is going to demand that certain people take care of these issues for all but the most serious stuff.

I disagree, unless it is something with a regulatory established channel, like fraud with an explicit SOP for fraud cases, you should never help a company hide crime, even if they employ you. Doesn't matter if it's their own or someone else's. I mean sure, you work at a bank and discover a customer has committed fraud? Report that to your fraud department. You learn that your manager is siphoning of your pension fund? Report that poo poo ASAP, don't "let the owner deal with".

I would also definitely call police for a fist fight, but we don't have the same "private security everywhere" culture you guys seem to have in the US. Although I thought those are only allowed to observe and report, not actually do anything physical?

It depends on jurisdiction which crimes are mandatory to report, so make sure to know which you have to report (and always report those directly!). If they are not mandatory, I guess you just gotta deal with your conscience, so do whatever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SEKCobra posted:

I disagree, unless it is something with a regulatory established channel, like fraud with an explicit SOP for fraud cases, you should never help a company hide crime, even if they employ you. Doesn't matter if it's their own or someone else's. I mean sure, you work at a bank and discover a customer has committed fraud? Report that to your fraud department. You learn that your manager is siphoning of your pension fund? Report that poo poo ASAP, don't "let the owner deal with".

I would also definitely call police for a fist fight, but we don't have the same "private security everywhere" culture you guys seem to have in the US. Although I thought those are only allowed to observe and report, not actually do anything physical?

It depends on jurisdiction which crimes are mandatory to report, so make sure to know which you have to report (and always report those directly!). If they are not mandatory, I guess you just gotta deal with your conscience, so do whatever.

we don't have private security everywhere, but most tech companies do just because, you know, its a target for assorted crimes. The last 2 datacenters I have worked in had 1 dude who was actual security, and then someone else who was a normal employee as a 24/7 reception and the two basically hung out most of the day.

And the "they can't touch you" thing is fairly bogus. it ultimately depends on if the security company is more afraid of being sued by the companies hiring them, or the people who are getting roughed up by security, so pretty much mall security won't gently caress with you much because of parents with lawyers, but security at an actual company that doesn't have people just hanging out is going to be a bit more physical, and frequently armed. They aren't cops, but its sometimes hard to tell the difference.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

we don't have private security everywhere, but most tech companies do just because, you know, its a target for assorted crimes. The last 2 datacenters I have worked in had 1 dude who was actual security, and then someone else who was a normal employee as a 24/7 reception and the two basically hung out most of the day.

And the "they can't touch you" thing is fairly bogus. it ultimately depends on if the security company is more afraid of being sued by the companies hiring them, or the people who are getting roughed up by security, so pretty much mall security won't gently caress with you much because of parents with lawyers, but security at an actual company that doesn't have people just hanging out is going to be a bit more physical, and frequently armed. They aren't cops, but its sometimes hard to tell the difference.

Schrodinger's Guard: is he more likely to lose his job by doing it, or by not doing it? The Quantum superposition only collapses in the presence of sufficient quantities of media attention, though piles of cash are a ready substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Schrodinger's Guard: is he more likely to lose his job by doing it, or by not doing it? The Quantum superposition only collapses in the presence of sufficient quantities of media attention, though piles of cash are a ready substitute.

never trust a fat security guard. they all think they are cops. the younger ones are frequently self aware enough to realize the are just spam