Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Home Depot rents horizontal drilling machines, right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Could try a piece of iron pipe and a sledge? Worst case it's a great workout.

Better option is to go the Motronic route and rent a masonry saw, cut two parallel slits in the driveway, remove asphalt, lay conduit, patch.

Or just solar lighting.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

NomNomNom posted:

Could try a piece of iron pipe and a sledge? Worst case it's a great workout.

Better option is to go the Motronic route and rent a masonry saw, cut two parallel slits in the driveway, remove asphalt, lay conduit, patch.

Or just solar lighting.

The better option is to rent a horizontal drilling tool. See if you have an equipment rental place near you that you can rent this or an equivalent from: https://www.reidrental.com/product/boring-machine-for-sidewalks-and-driveways/

Edit: while looking for alternatives I found you can buy 1/35 scale die cast horizontal drilling machines :3: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114715242270

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 29, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

If your driveway isn't elevated from the ground on both sides I don't understand how you'd get a pipe flat under the driveway in the first place but it's a wild thing to read regardless.

You dig a pit on each side.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Why not just saw cut a 6” wide strip and patch it when you’re done? Renting a cutoff saw for a few hours is cheap

Or, that driveway has always needed a nice speed bump

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Why not just saw cut a 6” wide strip and patch it when you’re done? Renting a cutoff saw for a few hours is cheap

Or, that driveway has always needed a nice speed bump

Because cold patch sucks, joints will always need to be separately sealed every couple of years to keep the driveway from getting destroyed if they live somewhere that freezes at all, etc, etc. You don't cut an asphalt driveway if you can avoid it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Motronic posted:

Because cold patch sucks, joints will always need to be separately sealed every couple of years to keep the driveway from getting destroyed if they live somewhere that freezes at all, etc, etc. You don't cut an asphalt driveway if you can avoid it.

I’d the driveway needs to be sealed anyways it’s a chance to bring someone in and have the whole thing done

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

God damned woodpeckers

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, you needed a sillcock there anyway

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

brugroffil posted:

God damned woodpeckers

Wow. How fast did that happen? Now I'm debating putting out those woodpecker feed cakes my kids begged me to buy, haha.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PainterofCrap posted:

Well, you needed a sillcock there anyway

It is 20 feet in the air, making fixing this that much more fun.

Douche4Sale posted:

Wow. How fast did that happen? Now I'm debating putting out those woodpecker feed cakes my kids begged me to buy, haha.

Honestly, not entirely sure. It's on the side of the house I never go on unless I'm cutting the small patch of grass over there, and I can't say I've noticed it in the last few weeks. It wasn't until I noticed some pink fuzz stuck to the screen on the window right below this that I became suspicious.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A woodpecker would make short work of the thin soft wood on the side of a house. I imagine that took under a day, maybe literally a few hours. They can hammer holes like that in basically anything all day long but it takes them a lot longer on like old growth hardwood.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

brugroffil posted:

It is 20 feet in the air, making fixing this that much more fun

I’d mount one there anyway! Great conversation piece!

If not that, then some type of outdoor ornamental item that pleases you (after you seal the hole) such as a distelfink, or one of those clay/terracotta sun sculptures.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 30, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or a bat house, I put one up a couple of months ago. I don’t expect any visitors but one can hope!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Check for bugs/termites, woodpecker was looking for something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Check for bugs/termites, woodpecker was looking for something.
Sometimes they try to excavate nest cavities in weird places, and given the size of the hole I'd guess that was what they were doing, not looking for lunch?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sometimes they try to excavate nest cavities in weird places, and given the size of the hole I'd guess that was what they were doing, not looking for lunch?

Yeah food holes are a thousand little bug sized ones. Nesting is the 2-3" hole. They nest in tree hollows.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Gas fireplaces - any thoughts on good brands to look at?

We're going to replace a wood burning fireplace with gas. Haven't ever used the wood burning one because the firebox is warped, and I don't know the condition of the chimney. I'd be looking to replace the tile surround, and potentially mantle as well. Is this something that I'd typically find a single contractor for removal of old tile / wood burning fireplace, framing / drywall work / tiling / gas fireplace install (including gas line / electric as needed), or am I realistically looking at multiple contractors to get this done? I'm worried about being able to find individual contractors for what seems like a small job.

Thankfully my basement is unfinished and it'll be easy to run the gas line, but I don't know where to start with the rest of it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

TrueChaos posted:

We're going to replace a wood burning fireplace with gas. Haven't ever used the wood burning one because the firebox is warped, and I don't know the condition of the chimney. I'd be looking to replace the tile surround, and potentially mantle as well. Is this something that I'd typically find a single contractor for removal of old tile / wood burning fireplace, framing / drywall work / tiling / gas fireplace install (including gas line / electric as needed), or am I realistically looking at multiple contractors to get this done? I'm worried about being able to find individual contractors for what seems like a small job.

Thankfully my basement is unfinished and it'll be easy to run the gas line, but I don't know where to start with the rest of it.

You’ll need a plumber at least in addition to a builder. When I looked at doing it I called a chimney place, and they quoted me something astronomical just to replace the firebox and flue—they weren’t even touching the gas install or the construction that would be required.

Eventually while doing a whole renovation I asked the GC to quote it. I bought the firebox and flue from one place who installed it, but it also required the architect to review the flue construction for code, subbing the plumber for the gas line, carpentry for the chimney enclosure siding etc. And I already had a masonry fireplace and most of the chimney I was re-using. But all in it came out to like 1/2 of what the chimney place quoted without gas/carpentry.

If you can get a GC to quote everything that would make your life easier.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

I installed an Archgard a few years ago, did it myself. One nice feature was the dual pipes (one inlet, one outlet) going through the chimney so flue condition wasn't as important. If your chimney is falling down or has obvious damage then you've got issues, but otherwise it was a smooth job. The fire box was warped, but had no open seams or giant voids. Drilling for the gas line was a bitch though, mostly because of the angle.

I picked everything up from my local HVAC dude who deals in Napoleon, Jotul, Archgard, and Empire. His opinion was that the Archgard was currently the best one. 2nd'ing Phil on the GC route if you need tile work/mantel poo poo done. My dude walked me through the install, what to look for, and offered to come out and inspect if needed. My firebox and chimney was all standard size so everything basically pushed into place.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Adding to fireplace chat. My home inspector did a very basic inspection and he didn’t video the chimney or anything like that.

I’d like to get it inspected to see if it has a liner and general use of it. I don’t think I’ll really use the thing, but it stinks like a campfire so I don’t think the PO even got it cleaned-they just brushed out the base.

What should I be asking for? A safety inspection with cleaning?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Adding to fireplace chat. My home inspector did a very basic inspection and he didn’t video the chimney or anything like that.

I’d like to get it inspected to see if it has a liner and general use of it. I don’t think I’ll really use the thing, but it stinks like a campfire so I don’t think the PO even got it cleaned-they just brushed out the base.

What should I be asking for? A safety inspection with cleaning?

You're asking a chimney place to clean and inspect your wood burning fireplace chimney. This is something that should be happening annually if you use the fireplace.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What sort of usage threshold justifies the expense of an annual cleaning? I had ours cleaned earlier this summer, for the first time in the three years we've lived here, and he joked that it was the cleanest chimney he's cleaned. We use it less than six times a year, I'd wager.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sash! posted:

What sort of usage threshold justifies the expense of an annual cleaning? I had ours cleaned earlier this summer, for the first time in the three years we've lived here, and he joked that it was the cleanest chimney he's cleaned. We use it less than six times a year, I'd wager.

Depends on what kind of wood you're burning as well as how much and how well it drafts. If you're burning well seasoned wood in a fireplace that drafts well you're not going to have a lot of buildup.

But how are you going to know? This is why the recommendation is once a year.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How many of you turn your gas fireplace off in the summer? The pilot light I mean. I've only owned one since April and I'm a bit reluctant to turn that off and then reignite it in the winter, especially as I don't pay for gas (unmetered).

I'm in Vancouver and it gets warm enough that we run air conditioning in the bedrooms (fireplace is in the living room).

Part of me feels like it won't seal properly if I close the valve, or it won't reignite properly, etc etc. It's likely the original from 1999.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'd like to know that as well.

We used to shut our pilot off in summer, but last couple summers we just left it on. I've read that leaving the pilot on helps keep pests/critters from making a home in the vent in summer, but I have positively nothing to base this on other anecdotes from random passers-by.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't know what brand mine is (came with the house), but it also has separate input and output pipes that go up through the existing chimney. I found this out because the previous owner had attached them to the top of chimney by wiring them to a plastic cutting board. This messed up the airflow, resulting in many calls to heating guys until it was figured out.

The great thing about a gas fireplace with its own pipes is that it is way, way cheaper than making an existing masonry chimney smoke-safe.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You’ll need a plumber at least in addition to a builder. When I looked at doing it I called a chimney place, and they quoted me something astronomical just to replace the firebox and flue—they weren’t even touching the gas install or the construction that would be required.

Eventually while doing a whole renovation I asked the GC to quote it. I bought the firebox and flue from one place who installed it, but it also required the architect to review the flue construction for code, subbing the plumber for the gas line, carpentry for the chimney enclosure siding etc. And I already had a masonry fireplace and most of the chimney I was re-using. But all in it came out to like 1/2 of what the chimney place quoted without gas/carpentry.

If you can get a GC to quote everything that would make your life easier.

Yeah, I reached out to the HVAC company I've used before (and been happy with their work), and they'd do the install except for the finishing work, which I'd need to find someone else for.

Yooper posted:

I installed an Archgard a few years ago, did it myself. One nice feature was the dual pipes (one inlet, one outlet) going through the chimney so flue condition wasn't as important. If your chimney is falling down or has obvious damage then you've got issues, but otherwise it was a smooth job. The fire box was warped, but had no open seams or giant voids. Drilling for the gas line was a bitch though, mostly because of the angle.

I picked everything up from my local HVAC dude who deals in Napoleon, Jotul, Archgard, and Empire. His opinion was that the Archgard was currently the best one. 2nd'ing Phil on the GC route if you need tile work/mantel poo poo done. My dude walked me through the install, what to look for, and offered to come out and inspect if needed. My firebox and chimney was all standard size so everything basically pushed into place.

That looks great. My chimney is in good shape structurally (no idea on cleanliness, we haven't had it swept) so I'm hoping to re-use that. I've been looking at Napoleon and Regency mainly, I'll check out the others you listed as well.

My fireplace currently looks like this:

It's 28"W x 29" high, which doesn't seem to be a standard size, so I'm essentially looking at tearing out the existing firebox for install of something more standard.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Speaking of fireplaces, how hard is it to replace the front of a wood burning fireplace? The one we have is from the 80's and ugly as sin.

All the stonework is fine, it's just the brass or whatever that is, plus I prefer a chain curtain to glass.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ssb posted:

Speaking of fireplaces, how hard is it to replace the front of a wood burning fireplace? The one we have is from the 80's and ugly as sin.

All the stonework is fine, it's just the brass or whatever that is, plus I prefer a chain curtain to glass.

If it's a standard size it's pretty easy. Do you have something like a "fireplace store" nearby? They sell those kinda of pieces along with log holders and tool sets. If you come in with measurements and picture they can probably fix you right on up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ok, stove wiring question. Finally working on getting the old range out and fixing the drop-in cutout to work with a slide-in, and the existing range is hardwired into a metal junction box sitting on the floor that then goes into the wall.

Can I just add a range outlet (i.e. either 3 or 4 prong, I have cords for both) to that junction box? It's currently on a 50 amp breaker. Otherwise should I just keep it hardwired and cut the end off of one of the current cords I have? I feel that can't be a good idea but maybe it's fine?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ssb posted:

Ok, stove wiring question. Finally working on getting the old range out and fixing the drop-in cutout to work with a slide-in, and the existing range is hardwired into a metal junction box sitting on the floor that then goes into the wall.

Can I just add a range outlet (i.e. either 3 or 4 prong, I have cords for both) to that junction box? It's currently on a 50 amp breaker. Otherwise should I just keep it hardwired and cut the end off of one of the current cords I have? I feel that can't be a good idea but maybe it's fine?

Ideally you would replace it with a outlet but physically you might not have room. Can you post a picture of both the back of your stove (showing any offset it has to allow the cord/outlet to exist) and your cavity? Probably also want to jump to the Wiring thread, it's pinned in diy. The box for nema 14- outlets are beefy.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Ideally you would replace it with a outlet but physically you might not have room. Can you post a picture of both the back of your stove (showing any offset it has to allow the cord/outlet to exist) and your cavity? Probably also want to jump to the Wiring thread, it's pinned in diy. The box for nema 14- outlets are beefy.

Making a post in that thread now, I forgot we had it.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=431#post525918929

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 31, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

TrueChaos posted:

We have a couple of Continentals, seem fine. If you're looking for an insert for your wood though make sure you tell your insurance company, you might save some $$ ditching the wood. Also make sure you get something with a decent fan kit.

Motronic posted:

Depends on what kind of wood you're burning as well as how much and how well it drafts. If you're burning well seasoned wood in a fireplace that drafts well you're not going to have a lot of buildup.

But how are you going to know? This is why the recommendation is once a year.
This really is good advice. At least get it professionally cleaned and the guy will tell you how bad it is. If he says it's super clean and your wood is consistent, you probably don't need him every year, but you need at least that starting point and maybe one more after that to get an idea.

JackBandit posted:

I have a request, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I grew up in an apartment building, and we had a superintendent that would fix stuff when it broke. My wife and I bought a house 4 years ago, and there’s just so much stuff I’m clueless about. I pick it up here and there and try to do some research whenever a crisis pops up, but I feel like I’m missing some basic education.

Is there a YouTube channel that anyone recommends for really basic home maintenance stuff that I could put on while folding laundry or something? My goal is to build up a general layer of comfort about maintaining and cleaning a house, our deck, our lawn and garden. All I could find was at too specialized a level (i.e. a channel for carpentry or a channel on gardening for people who already have a pretty high baseline knowledge). I’m not much of a YouTube user though, so maybe I don’t really know where to look.
Older post, but I'd recommend looking at specific videos per job that interests you. The guy that talks about laying laminate flooring down may not be the best for installing a timer on your bathroom fan or replacing a few shingles.

QuarkJets posted:

Is this the right thread for fridge chat? I want to buy a new fridge, ideally something that doesn't have a hosed up temperature sensor and a broken ice dispenser but I would love to hear about fridge XYZ has amazing temperature control or whatever
I would personally recommend the most basic fridge that meets your needs. I have very little evidence to back it up other than anecdote from a repair man and sales guys I spoke to on separate occasions, but they all said to avoid door dispensers. An in freezer ice maker and in fridge water dispenser (where you need open the door to get water) is the way to go...according to them at least. I'm sure tons of people have no problems with door dispensers, so just my .02.

My Kenmore fridge (whirlpool made) has been basically made for many years, so parts are plentiful and cheap if anythings needs to be replaced. My inlaws went with a full Samsung kitchen when they built their house a few months before ours (about 6 years ago now), and their fridge just poo poo the bed back in late June and the repairman *just* got the parts in to fix it a week or two ago. He said Samsung is terrible for service and loathes repair calls for them. Good thing they had a 2nd fridge in the basement.

The *only* issue I had was actually extremely recent. I replaced the filter head as the valve which closes when you pull the filter out stayed stuck. It was a 20 minute job to replace and the part was inexpensive and readily available online. Even when it was broken, it was no hardship. The fridge still worked fine I just couldn't use the water dispenser/ice maker.

I HAVE A QUESTION:

What's a good brand/model of toilet that doesn't plug with man sized turds or if someone wipes more than once? We have a couple of Gerbers in our house and the flush-flap seems to wear out ever 2-3 years and I just want to replace them as I don't like them anyhow.

We also have a couple of dual flush, comfort height Caroma's which we like well enough and reliable, but they seem hard to find now... or at least not from either Lowes Depot or the local hardware stores.

Something comfort height and smooth sided would be nice, although it's more the internals being reliable and not prone to plug are the biggie.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 31, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So I installed a GFCI outlet in my partner's room and tested to see what else in her room is connected to it. Turns out every single light and socket in the teen's room next to it goes through that GFCI so I guess that solves the problem of needing to put one in her room.

I'm not excited to try and map all these circuits out.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

slidebite posted:

We have a couple of Continentals, seem fine. If you're looking for an insert for your wood though make sure you tell your insurance company, you might save some $$ ditching the wood. Also make sure you get something with a decent fan kit.

This really is good advice. At least get it professionally cleaned and the guy will tell you how bad it is. If he says it's super clean and your wood is consistent, you probably don't need him every year, but you need at least that starting point and maybe one more after that to get an idea.

Older post, but I'd recommend looking at specific videos per job that interests you. The guy that talks about laying laminate flooring down may not be the best for installing a timer on your bathroom fan or replacing a few shingles.

I would personally recommend the most basic fridge that meets your needs. I have very little evidence to back it up other than anecdote from a repair man and sales guys I spoke to on separate occasions, but they all said to avoid door dispensers. An in freezer ice maker and in fridge water dispenser (where you need open the door to get water) is the way to go...according to them at least. I'm sure tons of people have no problems with door dispensers, so just my .02.

My Kenmore fridge (whirlpool made) has been basically made for many years, so parts are plentiful and cheap if anythings needs to be replaced. My inlaws went with a full Samsung kitchen when they built their house a few months before ours (about 6 years ago now), and their fridge just poo poo the bed back in late June and the repairman *just* got the parts in to fix it a week or two ago. He said Samsung is terrible for service and loathes repair calls for them. Good thing they had a 2nd fridge in the basement.

The *only* issue I had was actually extremely recent. I replaced the filter head as the valve which closes when you pull the filter out stayed stuck. It was a 20 minute job to replace and I had the part was inexpensive and readily available online.

I HAVE A QUESTION:

What's a good brand/model of toilet that doesn't plug with man sized turds or if someone wipes more than once? We have a couple of Gerbers in our house and the flush-flap seems to wear out ever 2-3 years and I just want to replace them as I don't like them anyhow.

We also have a couple of dual flush, comfort height Caroma's which we like well enough and reliable, but they seem hard to find now... or at least not from either Lowes Depot or the local hardware stores.

Something comfort height and smooth sided would be nice, although it's more the internals being reliable and not prone to plug are the biggie.
I have 2 kohlers made in the last decade and haven’t had any clogging problems

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

YouTube removing dislike counts really did immediately screw up easy methods for sussing out very high quality DIY videos vs. garbage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inner Light posted:

YouTube removing dislike counts really did immediately screw up easy methods for sussing out very high quality DIY videos vs. garbage.

Working as intended.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

slidebite posted:

I HAVE A QUESTION:

American Standard. Remember those old viral videos about flushing dozens of chicken nuggets or golf balls? That's your guy. It's also comfort height. My parents have had it for like 15-20 years and it's been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

American Standard. Remember those old viral videos about flushing dozens of chicken nuggets or golf balls? That's your guy. It's also comfort height. My parents have had it for like 15-20 years and it's been perfect.

Champion Series specifically: https://www.americanstandard-us.com/bathroom-collections/transitional-bathroom-collections/champion-toilet-collection