Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

priznat posted:

I think I saw corsair or someone made one that can be curved or flat, lol.

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbxPGoIPUzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah but that is probably being bent once to how the owner wants it rather than being constantly folded and unfolded then being shocked when the glass screen stress cracks.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
My first thought when seeing that monitor was that unless they have some sort of a solution, it's never going to be perfectiy flat nor perfectly curved and always have some kind of creases in it.

Didn't watch the videos though so I don't know if they figured that out somehow

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

Oh did the latest folding phone everyone’s hyping over have it’s screens start cracking after a month like every other folding phone?

No he just glares at both of them for 30 minutes and says "they didn't change much"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jeff Fatwood posted:

My first thought when seeing that monitor was that unless they have some sort of a solution, it's never going to be perfectiy flat nor perfectly curved and always have some kind of creases in it.

Didn't watch the videos though so I don't know if they figured that out somehow

The panel actually does curve smoothly, though not uniformly (it's mostly flat in the direct center and edges of the screen but curved in the 1/3 and 2/3 points). And it's not like it fully folds in on itself, either. So there shouldn't be any sort of visible crease, but I guess we'll see.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 30, 2022

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Oh yeah, maybe it is more of a problem on phones because the bends are so extreme and only in one spot. It's even a feature I'd consider but the price tag is probably going to be :rubby:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

check out der8auer's video for some real wince-inducing sounds, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcbxGtqkzNI

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is going to be a bit of a digression: I was watching that Louis Rossman video over the weekend, and there's that part where he explains how you're supposed to structure a business such that the honoring of warranties gets recouped from profits - that that's part of the point of adding a cut to your profits in the first place (apart from the more obvious reason, to make the business owner money, of course)

it stood out to me because he was explaining how [a part of] a business was supposed to work, at a fundamental level

and it reminded me of a couple of years back when I was reading some David Ricardo and I was able to synthesize a thought that went something like:

quote:

if you're running a bakery, and you've got your big oven in the back that costs six-figgies to procure, you need to be factoring-in the cost of replacing that oven from Day One, amortizing the whole amount over the expected lifetime of the unit. Making ends meet for a business isn't just about labor costs, space rental, and replacing day-to-day consumables and supplies and raw materials, but even the replacement of the "dead labor" of machinery over the long-term needs to be accounted for in daily/weekly/monthly expenses

I'm not claiming that this has given me any kind of great insight into running a business, far from it, but it did make me think of whether or not people are taught this kind of thing. Like, obviously there are lots of people who go into business without really knowing anything about it at an academic level, but if you actually had an MBA (or a degree in Business Administration?) would Rossman's explanation be a novel concept, or something you'd have found on a textbook somewhere?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
extremely not novel concept, business 101. it would almost certainly be covered in a bunch of places including accounting, operations and management, marketing, corporate planning, etc etc etc. the line he quotes, "don't aid your adversary" is a simple retelling of the concept of business owners and customers inherently having an adversarial relationship and understanding when you have those, how that's not a bad thing and how mutual gain is achieved by internalizing that adversarial relationship in how you structure your business, eg with warranties.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in fact in the entry level accounting course i did you constantly cover things like break even points, profit margins, monetizing the cost of whatever initial outlay and/or ongoing costs to support something like a warranty. none of this will possibly come as a surprise to anyone, they will need to have done all of this math and proved it financially viable years before they were shipping a product. they cut the warranty support for some reason, it definitely definitely wasn't "so my wife wouldn't have to see my face" so we can only speculate as to why,

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
It's not a novel concept but you don't have to look far to find someone who doesn't get the concept. Including a rather surprising number of small business owners!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
an observation i would make is that there is often quite significant gaps between the people who own the business, the people who make operational level strategic decisions ie lead the business and the people who run the business. accounting and financing almost always fall into the latter category, as usually is the guy/guys who decides your feature set for a backpack.

if you're a small business owner you often have to fill several of these roles at once and habits people develop in this period can hamper them in later expansion. and people make really loving stupid choices all the time and survive them and/or make great choices and get hosed, the efficient market hypothesis is total bunk, so if you've avoided a bunch of catastrophes by rolling sevens you might not properly evaluate your own influence on your success. now that happens at literally every level of business, lol.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

they cut the warranty support for some reason, it definitely definitely wasn't "so my wife wouldn't have to see my face" so we can only speculate as to why,

The obvious thing would be that whatever factory in china is actually making the bags raised the price on them at the very end of their idiotic year-long prototyping work. This is a thing that's happened to a whole lot of kickstarters -- if you've spent a whole lot of time going back and forth with a factory to get everything exactly perfect, you can't afford to start over with a different factory. It's even worse with kickstarters cause they can see exactly how much money they can screw you for.

And a small company like LTT is unlikely to be a repeat customer -- LTT isn't gonna do a handbag next -- so you're less worried about offending some long-term partner.

(The loving thing *is* gonna be expensive to make. Miles of stitching, lots of little detail work, complicated to put together.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Klyith posted:

The obvious thing would be that whatever factory in china is actually making the bags raised the price on them at the very end of their idiotic year-long prototyping work. This is a thing that's happened to a whole lot of kickstarters -- if you've spent a whole lot of time going back and forth with a factory to get everything exactly perfect, you can't afford to start over with a different factory. It's even worse with kickstarters cause they can see exactly how much money they can screw you for.

And a small company like LTT is unlikely to be a repeat customer -- LTT isn't gonna do a handbag next -- so you're less worried about offending some long-term partner.

(The loving thing *is* gonna be expensive to make. Miles of stitching, lots of little detail work, complicated to put together.)

Yeah this 100%. It’s overbuilt and overcomplicated, and unless you do the manufacturing yourself or with a long term partner you’re totally at their mercy.

I just chuckle thinking of linus coming up with the spec list and probably doing a bunch of 11th hour additions that really started to piss them off.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1564599960900980737

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s one way to keep up with amazon I suppose

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

In regards to backpacks and screwdrivers and whatever else is being "developed" in house by LTT:

It is easy enough to get products prototyped/produced in China as an English speaker. These places are generally legit and have people that converse in technical English (quick google finds places like this: https://www.nice-rapidtooling.com/ ). Nothing wrong with that approach but the markup for the service is relatively large as the storefronts are pretty much translation services.

If you speak either Mandarin or Cantonese you can cut out the middleman completely and save literally 90% of prototyping and production costs even on complex items. I have to imagine that given the large Chinese population in southern Canada he must have contacts locally at this point so he is getting everything absolutely dirt cheap.

If Linus is charging 250 dollars for anything that isn't being hand sewn in Canada and kissed by the RCMP before it gets boxed then he has some serious balls. It will be "reverse engineered" before he even ships it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

priznat posted:

Yeah this 100%. It’s overbuilt and overcomplicated, and unless you do the manufacturing yourself or with a long term partner you’re totally at their mercy.

I just chuckle thinking of linus coming up with the spec list and probably doing a bunch of 11th hour additions that really started to piss them off.

we know he did! they missed the seasonal window over a for purpose AirTag hidden pouch, lol

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Purchasing from the Walmart website is not much different than buying off of eBay, news at 11.

The price was so obviously impossible (gotta love those $18 SSDs) that nobody who understands the terms "terabyte" and "ssd" should have fallen for it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronash posted:

The price was so obviously impossible (gotta love those $18 SSDs) that nobody who understands the terms "terabyte" and "ssd" should have fallen for it.

I don't think we should admonish people getting scammed instead of the 300 billion dollar company that doesn't give a poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

Walmart.com turned itself into this weird Alibaba marketplace/eBay combination and it’s really awkward trying to buy things from Walmart directly

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Walmart.com turned itself into this weird Alibaba marketplace/eBay combination and it’s really awkward trying to buy things from Walmart directly

I hate this trend, bestbuy does that too and it suuuucks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Awkward how? Just look to see if it's sold and shipped by Walmart. Same thing as on Amazon.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cage-free egghead posted:

Awkward how? Just look to see if it's sold and shipped by Walmart. Same thing as on Amazon.

The only way to filter walmart is the "in-store" button, which removes stuff sold & shipped by walmart that's not an in-store item.

Amazon you can check a box for sold by amazon, or check the prime box to filter out most of the scam crap (and the scam crap that remains will be easy to return / get refunded).

Newegg has easy filters for sold by / shipped by newegg.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

You have to do it on every search and it's a pain in the rear end if you're buying several things.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Amazon is chock full of these types of fake drives as well, and has been for many years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Criss-cross posted:

Amazon is chock full of these types of fake drives as well, and has been for many years.

That’s what I meant, amazon is just rife with this garbage.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Notable is that none of these stores allow a way to permanently filter out third party store items.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got me wondering if there is a browser extension that will filter out the 3rd party stuff - I will check into that later!

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

no pubes yet sorry posted:

In regards to backpacks and screwdrivers and whatever else is being "developed" in house by LTT:

It is easy enough to get products prototyped/produced in China as an English speaker. These places are generally legit and have people that converse in technical English (quick google finds places like this: https://www.nice-rapidtooling.com/ ). Nothing wrong with that approach but the markup for the service is relatively large as the storefronts are pretty much translation services.

If you speak either Mandarin or Cantonese you can cut out the middleman completely and save literally 90% of prototyping and production costs even on complex items. I have to imagine that given the large Chinese population in southern Canada he must have contacts locally at this point so he is getting everything absolutely dirt cheap.

If Linus is charging 250 dollars for anything that isn't being hand sewn in Canada and kissed by the RCMP before it gets boxed then he has some serious balls. It will be "reverse engineered" before he even ships it.

Their channels fairly often review items that are China or China/Asia/Europe only, and LMG has at least one person on staff whose title is along the lines of "China market manager" and a native speaker.

As to it being reverse engineered, his screwdriver already has been. They switched manufacturers and the new place didn't get the files but got a prototype that they reverse engineered, applied the changes they wanted, and sent it to him. He mentioned it on one of the WAN shows.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Baronash posted:

Purchasing from the Walmart website is not much different than buying off of eBay, news at 11.

I find ebay to be a more legit and easier to search site then amazon or walmart, look up inboard marine diesels and filter by horsepower done, look up tau 40k minis easy.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I know he's less of a computer weirdo and more of a lifestyle tech person, but I gotta say I've been watching more and more of MKBHD and I'm really impressed. Just proving you can sustainably do thoughtful, balanced content full of good advice that isn't clickbaity or shrill.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

I know he's less of a computer weirdo and more of a lifestyle tech person, but I gotta say I've been watching more and more of MKBHD and I'm really impressed. Just proving you can sustainably do thoughtful, balanced content full of good advice that isn't clickbaity or shrill.

MKBHD has zero criticism or content beyond the OEM press release, it's like going to apple.com to get a critical review of iPhones.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the line between enthusiast review and promo piece is pretty loving hard to draw in this space

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
mkbhd is basically the modern equivalent of a "gadget reviewer". tech enthusiasm without the journalism and critique etc

but video quality goes a really long way for an interesting review, and he makes some pretty good points nowadays

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's actually extremely easy to draw that line, but most content creators simply don't care

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CoolCab posted:

the line between enthusiast review and promo piece is pretty loving hard to draw in this space

There isn’t a line imo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SlowBloke posted:

MKBHD has zero criticism or content beyond the OEM press release, it's like going to apple.com to get a critical review of iPhones.

He’s a Pixel fanboy who’s been honest with his problems about the Pixel 6 line, at least. He isn’t afraid to be negative, he just genuinely doesn’t seem to have many gripes about recent iPhones or Samsung phones.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

also, someone got REALLY excited when they found it was a fake SSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

That isn't true at all. He's super balanced on what he likes and dislikes about a phone. I feel like a lot of his reviews are very grounded and essentially saying 'this upgrade isn't necessarily worth it'if you have something similar, here's how it performs in the real world, etc etc'. Maybe he used to be different, but everything I've seen definitely lists his criticisms of everything he reviews.