Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's explosive enough to blow up the sept in season 6
Man who knew that glowstick juice could be so useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i wanted to ask if they have weed in Westeros but then i did my own research.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Reign of Fire predicts that, even in a post-apocalyptic hellhole with no cinema or TV, some fuckers are still gonna be showing Star Wars to their kids

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

The point of Dany's foreign saviorism was that she is learning that conquest is fun, and being a hero is fun, but actually ruling sucks donkey balls (this is a main theme of the franchise and Robert learned it too, he just reacted by being depressed and drinking too much instead of loving off to conquer a different country instead), and she has as much contempt for the people she rules as her dad or any of his inbred ancestors. It was all leading up to her going Mad Queen.

Yea one of the few good parts of the whole 'the crazy Targaryn switch flipped in Dany' was making it super clear that all she learned in her years of travelling, freeing people, being a general white savior to the eastern world, all that, was 'having a scary dragon that lets me do whatever I want loving rules'

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

The final month of GOT was incredible for going in to work Monday morning and seeing people seething angry and wanting to just unload about dothraki death charge, unable to see poo poo, Arya winning the whole war, dany forgetting about boats, etc etc

oh god the Dothraki suicide charge

deleting half your army in seconds for a nice visual queue was a giant eh oh el

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
no hero journey, no grappling with her choices as a leader, just pure 'dragon go fwoosh'

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Yea one of the few good parts of the whole 'the crazy Targaryn switch flipped in Dany' was making it super clear that all she learned in her years of travelling, freeing people, being a general white savior to the eastern world, all that, was 'having a scary dragon that lets me do whatever I want loving rules'

She also learned that she and all actions she takes are categorically good and those who oppose or inconvenience her in any way are categorically evil :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Well, she is Hillary Clinton and it is Her Turn so...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

y'know how somebody posted that article about NOPE whose thesis was basically that Stephen Yuen survived a horrific animal attack as a child and his takeaway was that this was all because he was Special and rules don't apply to him? Dany's entire character arc is her taking this same lesson from the fact that she has dragons.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My favorite GoT fans are the ones that think Dany was totally justified in torching the city, civilians and all, and that Jon was the real villain for backstabbing her.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

she did "regime change" the east and leave it entirely destabilized when it was no longer conducive to her goals so... yeah that all tracks.

I love watching libs go "I can't believe they so suddenly made her evil"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I know it has only been two episodes, but it's cool that so far the only impact new game of thrones has had is getting people to rehash all the reasons why the ending of the old game of thrones was bad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Evrart Claire posted:

My favorite GoT fans are the ones that think Dany was totally justified in torching the city, civilians and all, and that Jon was the real villain for backstabbing her.

Honestly yeah. Have the courage of your convictions IMO

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

she did "regime change" the east and leave it entirely destabilized when it was no longer conducive to her goals so... yeah that all tracks.

I love watching libs go "I can't believe they so suddenly made her evil"

yeah she literally got bored and left when they didn't all keep unanimously crowdsurfing her and calling her mommy for months at a time lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I know it has only been two episodes, but it's cool that so far the only impact new game of thrones has had is getting people to rehash all the reasons why the ending of the old game of thrones was bad

A lot of people are also talking about how lovely the wigs are and how weird Matt Smith is in his role

For what it's worth I do think Matt Smith is pretty loving perfect when you realize he's channeling "fail younger brother" energy and not "I'm so spooky badass like the crow" energy

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Where is mork?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A lot of people are also talking about how lovely the wigs are and how weird Matt Smith is in his role

For what it's worth I do think Matt Smith is pretty loving perfect when you realize he's channeling "fail younger brother" energy and not "I'm so spooky badass like the crow" energy

yea Matt Smith is a perfect 'shithead baby brother who thinks he's special' and an absolutely horrible 'menacing figure' and woops looks like this role needs someone who can do both

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/razibkhan/status/1564382108873011205?s=20&t=0B347FC3inAs1I_5V_So1A

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Charles 2 lost .744 of the mandate of heaven. Sad to see it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea Matt Smith is a perfect 'shithead baby brother who thinks he's special' and an absolutely horrible 'menacing figure' and woops looks like this role needs someone who can do both

and he looks like he could be inbred! good casting

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

and he looks like he could be inbred! good casting

in the crown, yes

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah but the targs are literally riffing on the idea of melnibone. They are special.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this is a good point in that in the tournament in e1 he (a) loses a joust, (b) gets so mad about it he tries to fight the guy who won on foot with a sword which I guess you're allowed to do?, and (c) loses that fight too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The first scene I said "ok actually that was stupid" was when Dany crowd surfed amongst coloureds. That may have been S3. Unfortunately it began to quickly get bad at that point.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The first scene I said "ok actually that was stupid" was when Dany crowd surfed amongst coloureds. That may have been S3. Unfortunately it began to quickly get bad at that point.

yeah but to be fair i had also thought that exact scene in the books was awful and they nailed it!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I remember the exact moment it lost me: when Tyrion and Jorah are sailing around Valyria and the greyscale guys start ambushing them, Jorah yells out "STONEMEN!" and they used it on like every previously on that season. The delivery of his shouting STONEMEN sounds like he's an NPC in a tutorial where you're learning how the combat system works

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I remember the exact moment it lost me: when Tyrion and Jorah are sailing around Valyria and the greyscale guys start ambushing them, Jorah yells out "STONEMEN!" and they used it on like every previously on that season. The delivery of his shouting STONEMEN sounds like he's an NPC in a tutorial where you're learning how the combat system works

i also remember them being more like 28 days later fast zombies instead of...stone men

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Was that supposed to by Valyria or was that Old Volantis? The stonemen thing was extremely goofy.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Three Body Problem is getting a Chinese movie and Chinese Animation in addition to the Netflix adaptation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vBGb6IwbqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfHXmLXmwz0

I liked one of the final themes in the second & third book is that there is always a bigger fish. When they find that 4th dimension space that has the graveyard marker of a prior civilization that existed in the 4th dimension that eventually collapsed. That the universe existed as a 10D universe where the speed of light was infinite and the only way to truly destroy your enemies was to change the speed of light and shift down a dimension was a spooky revelation.

Once they realize that the object that collapses 3D space into two dimensions never stops until it collapses the entire universe is pretty funny. Then a group hopes that if they keep collapsing the universe it will eventually reset itself.

Taking the Dark Forest Theory to an extreme means some idiot is going to burn down the entire forest

Oops you accidentally drove past a Death Line, 18 million years have now passed. Good bye everyone you ever knew.

I'm expecting the Netflix series to maybe cover the first book only, the second and third would be pretty expensive to adapt properly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

it's explosive enough to blow up the sept in season 6

christ, how'd i forget about. oh right, the total lack of any consequence that came from doing that and how cersei simply solved 3/4s of her problems (church, peasants, some nobility) in one swoop

Gresh posted:

i spent months yelling 'what are they going to eat if you send the horses into a snowcovered region' and then, well, didnt matter

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Gresh posted:

the cool visual deleted 100% of the army until the next ep when dany remembered that she still needed half an army

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lol that the AI's response to "habsburg" is to start from a stock image and make her face kind of hosed-up

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

anyway,

https://twitter.com/pk_kenzie/status/1564631118430609408

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

well, it's certainly stupid, and possibly racist, if in the end she's the hero of everyone

on the other hand, it's more fun to watch someone fall from such a great height

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Literally: "What if I, Joanne Rowling, were the actual victim of transphobia, and that I, the hero of reality, were the one facing attacks that trans activists are currently facing in reality? "

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

loquacius posted:

lol that the AI's response to "habsburg" is to start from a stock image and make her face kind of hosed-up

Welcome to Dall-e, the AI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if the broad dies as the inciting incident how is it 1k pages

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

loquacius posted:

All the actors getting famous enough to sign better contracts also explains why nudity in later seasons was restricted to minor and/or unnamed characters with few exceptions

:mrwhite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

indigi posted:

if the broad dies as the inciting incident how is it 1k pages

The other 900 pages are just "DEAR INTERNET: I AM NOT MAD! DO NOT THINK I AM MAD! YOU ARE THE MAD ONE ACTUALLY!"