Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is the only part of it I'm actually IRL mad about because cannons were RIGHT THERE

They even have fantasy gunpowder already! Just put it in a big metal tube!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

This is the only part of it I'm actually IRL mad about because cannons were RIGHT THERE

They even have fantasy gunpowder already! Just put them in a big metal tube!!!

that would have been kinda neat if the iron islands built ships and a foundry and surprised everyone but nope

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

They even have fantasy gunpowder already! Just put them in a big metal tube!!!

I wanna believe it was all just one super aggro dumb guy maester.

"So we put this explosive powder in a big metal tube and load it with smaller metal balls..."

"NO!!!!! BOWS ONLY!!!! BIG BOW!!!!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
rage eating pizza is understandable

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

"So we put this explosive powder in a big metal tube and load it with smaller metal balls..."

Remember how the giants had bows with a half mile range that never got used in any meaningful way

Or how Ramsay's army, facing mythical beasts like giants, had perfect discipline and morale instead of freaking out

I remember

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its how they did it in the hobbit and if its good enough for hobbit 3 its good enough for GOT

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's extremely predictable since GoT is Yorkist fanfic and Dany is the Henry Tudor stand in so of course it ends with her revealed as a megalomaniac

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

he did literally bring someone back from the dead so I guess he's mainly a life-sciences dude

Cuttlefush posted:

rage eating pizza is understandable

she did a war crime on that pizza

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Remember how the giants had bows with a half mile range that never got used in any meaningful way

Or how Ramsay's army, facing mythical beasts like giants, had perfect discipline and morale instead of freaking out

I remember

the Dothraki weren't even the only major power that got wiped out offscreen (they couldn't think of a way to write Stannis out so they were just like "he fuckin, he lost offscreen okay, Ramsay Bolton outfought him, yeah, the psychopath guy")

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I guess it's more the fault of GURM instead of the showrunners but my god all the eastern cities were such a waste of time except for the badass white savior scene

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

the Dothraki weren't even the only major power that got wiped out offscreen (they couldn't think of a way to write Stannis out so they were just like "he fuckin, he lost offscreen okay, Ramsay Bolton outfought him, yeah, the psychopath guy")

at least they spent a few episodes showing Stannis losing the plot and driving down his own army's morale and fighting capacity by wandering around in the snow, alienating potential allies, and burning his own daughter to death in front of his troops, all because he was a religious fanatic who more or less thought that he couldn't lose because he was Jesus, so even though the final battle was offscreen you could be like "oh yeah it makes sense that they lost"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

I guess it's more the fault of GURM instead of the showrunners but my god all the eastern cities were such a waste of time except for the badass white savior scene

The point of Dany's foreign saviorism was that she is learning that conquest is fun, and being a hero is fun, but actually ruling sucks donkey balls (this is a main theme of the franchise and Robert learned it too, he just reacted by being depressed and drinking too much instead of loving off to conquer a different country instead), and she has as much contempt for the people she rules as her dad or any of his inbred ancestors. It was all leading up to her going Mad Queen.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
candice is just mad at the plot twist that had been telegraphed since the first time anybody read the word Targaryan was supposed to reflect her chosen girlboss of choice in her way but instead reflected her chosen girlboss of choice in reality

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

projecthalaxy posted:

Its how they did it in the hobbit and if its good enough for hobbit 3 its good enough for GOT

Hobbit had multiple in-universe explanations for why this one in a million chance both existed and paid off though. dragon tummies were a known weakness in Middle Earth for three ages by that point, it's why they deliberately slept on their hoards. no such history existed in the GoT universe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hobbit was also basically Dark Ages society and GoT is late medieval and had the tech for cannons which they simply chose not to apply

LOTR had gunpowder, but it's implied that Saruman had like just invented it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Well yes the Hobbits were based on the Irish.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm in favor of banning YA books from schools.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I haven't watched GoT but I didn't know they were at like cannon level. That's an interesting thing to know. So its like 1600?

What was an interesting movie was Reign of Fire. Nobody dared ask "what if dragons but also SAM launchers"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is hard for me to process. Harry Potter was banned from my school in the early 2000s because it was satanic and full of witchcraft. Now it's being shunned by progressives for racism and transphobia. Everyone hates the most popular book series!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's hard to put fantasy in direct parallels to real historical eras because magic fucks all that up
why invent gunpowder when you've got magicians and all that
GoT tech is definitely topping out at like early siege though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

projecthalaxy posted:

I haven't watched GoT but I didn't know they were at like cannon level. That's an interesting thing to know. So its like 1600?

What was an interesting movie was Reign of Fire. Nobody dared ask "what if dragons but also SAM launchers"

cannons have been around since the mid 14th century at least, possibly early 13th, so GoT is like late medieval/early Italian renaissance

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
my 10 yr old son thinks harry potter is dumb poop from a butt

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
where are they gonna pull out a wildfire gun

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is hard for me to process. Harry Potter was banned from my school in the early 2000s because it was satanic and full of witchcraft. Now it's being shunned by progressives for racism and transphobia. Everyone hates the most popular book series!

actually, the most popular book series is The Bible and its sequels/spinoffs

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

[dany's dragon gets blasted by a cannon]

It's days like these that I curse the Braavosi for inventing gunpowder

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

[dany's dragon gets blasted by a cannon]

It's days like these that I curse the Braavosi for inventing gunpowder

such a good line

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

They have fantasy gunpowder, and Tyrion actually uses it in battle to pretty great effect in season 2 or 3 (he sinks most of Stannis' fleet with it), and then they completely forget about it between then and season 7 when they're like "hmmmm what do we do about these big flying tank animals??? I know!!! A BIG CROSSBOW."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

loquacius posted:

They have fantasy gunpowder, and Tyrion actually uses it in battle to pretty great effect in season 2 or 3 (he sinks most of Stannis' fleet with it), and then they completely forget about it between then and season 7 when they're like "hmmmm what do we do about these big flying tank animals??? I know!!! A BIG CROSSBOW."

rad. I love intentionally being stupid so the heroine can win

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the invention of gunpowder by Cersei's lil creep alchemist guy which ends up wiping out the magical ice army, the magical dragon army, and ushering in a new age of brutal totalitarianism under the Lannisters would have been an ending more in keeping with the themes of the first few seasons.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

That's fantasy napalm
which probably is not very useful against a fire monster

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's fantasy napalm
which probably is not very useful against a fire monster

it's pretty useful for propelling a cannonball out of a cannon

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I have a soft spot for Reign of Fire because its like a B movie with a big rear end budget

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Jon Snow brooding on a cliff overlooking his next big battle before he gets his wig split by a musket prototype

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

it's pretty useful for propelling a cannonball out of a cannon

Given that it's more an analogue to greek fire than gun powder I don't think it's meant to really be viewed as an explosive

granted I don't recall how the show portrays it but it's meant to be the sort of volatile that you wouldn't want someone to have to be near it when it catches on fire because that thing is going to be on fire for a while afterwords

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Given that it's more an analogue to greek fire than gun powder I don't think it's meant to really be viewed as an explosive

it's explosive enough to blow up the sept in season 6

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's explosive enough to blow up the sept in season 6

ah right
well that's just more genius Benioff and Weiss plotting then

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

They should have invented a giant fishing pole to catch the dragon out of the air with, instead. Leading to the Fishing Pole Arms Race

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The spriggan anime on netflix is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Good soup! posted:

I have a soft spot for Reign of Fire because its like a B movie with a big rear end budget

Reign of Fire and Dragonheart are the best dragon movies.