Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Instead of spending money on a helpdesk ticketing system, my boss decided to throw something together on his own using Microsoft PowerApps. Two weeks later he shat out the most barebones ticketing system that you can imagine. It lacks basic features such as, 'ability to read comments that you (or anyone) have added to tickets' and 'ability to respond to the end user via the ticketing system'.
What it does have is neat features like 'way too many clicks to perform basic functions', 'pressing the return key when adding a comment submits the comment and doesn't insert a carriage return as expected' and 'need to change status to 'closed' multiple times because the dropdown list keeps reverting back to open when you click away from it'. I'm going to bring it up at our next team meeting but I'm pretty sure that his ego won't allow him to admit that this is beyond his skill level and skill set.
C'est la vie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Why would he attend a team meeting when there's wheels he can invent?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

logging into my corporate network with my vuh-pnn

cant stop hearing this in my head now

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Love to be on hour four of an ES outage and to still be having my consistently correct advice ignored.

I recommended using file based auth after we lost the security index literally two hours before we ended up implanting it! Really frustrating to have the same advice be accepted when a man says it instead of me.

E: I mean only so correct - It is still hour 4 of the outage! But ahead of the curve if nothing else!

E2: nuked the readiness probes, deleted indicies and datastreams, restored from snapshot after passing some undocumented commands. Not a good showing. Yet another reason filebeat > agent.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 30, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

🤡

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Started with a new team and a new customer on Monday and I’m learning how things are done on this side of the tracks.

Holy poo poo do I have my work cut out for me.

If a customer has an issue, my colleagues think it is appropriate to say yes to “please join a bridge” when three presence has zero value add. At three in the morning. For six hours.

There is no oncall rotation so if a page comes in, all eight people get it, all eight respond “paged” in team slack, all eight then decide who owns the issue then seven go back to sleep.

If a customer sends in an email request for support to the team public district, all eight race to research the ticket and all eight can sometimes respond to the same request, with sometimes conflicting responses.

I have some housekeeping to do, looks like

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

There is no oncall rotation so if a page comes in, all eight people get it, all eight respond “paged” in team slack, all eight then decide who owns the issue then seven go back to sleep.

Wow this must be costing a fortune in overtime!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

Started with a new team and a new customer on Monday and I’m learning how things are done on this side of the tracks.

Holy poo poo do I have my work cut out for me.

If a customer has an issue, my colleagues think it is appropriate to say yes to “please join a bridge” when three presence has zero value add. At three in the morning. For six hours.

If a customer sends in an email request for support to the team public district, all eight race to research the ticket and all eight can sometimes respond to the same request, with sometimes conflicting responses.

Oof. Are you the final layer of an A-Team supporting $MegaCustomer? Or is this just a normal team with incredible inefficiencies?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Wow this must be costing a fortune in overtime!

“Overtime”? What is overtime, precious?

Hughmoris posted:

Oof. Are you the final layer of an A-Team supporting $MegaCustomer?

Yes.

Hughmoris posted:

is this just a team with incredible inefficiencies?

Also yes

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

There is no oncall rotation so if a page comes in, Agrikk is not on call.
FTFY.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

This person gets it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devops: googles for stack overflow answers

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m at the point in my career where if I google a problem I get a single result of me asking the question on a TI support forum that went unanswered. Or it’s a single stack overflow result with a follow up of “never mind, got it to work!” :smith:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

no i will not "set up a personal dmz" so you can play xbox live in your office

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who are the jerks that spend their lunch breaks marking valid questions as duplicates.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Every time I see Stack Overflow come up I am reminded that the founder thinks the site is polished and has a good community :psyduck:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Today's gripe is handling people having a middle life crisis by turning into insufferable teenagers. You are a middle manager with a BMW, a house as big as Versailles and back the blue regardless of whose skull is getting crushed, you have no right to listen or sing to protest music like Moscow Death Brigade or equivalents.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbh if that's their mid life crisis i'm ok with it

better than doubling down on the consumerism

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Our level 1 support team, which covers a range of platforms (primarily SAS and SQL) and is beloved by all with a sterling reputation for providing same day (if not same hour) solutions for technical issues and for being able to expedite escalations to teams that are otherwise frequently nonresponsive, is being completely disbanded with 2 1/2 weeks notice. This is the first we have heard about it, there has been no consultation with senior management or discussion regarding providing continuation of our support functions. We are being split into two platform management support teams, one for SAS, one for Teradata SQL. The guy who knows about SAS is moving to the SQL team, the grad student who is studying SQL is moving to the SAS team. We have individually and collectively asked management to flip that particular apportionment, and have been told decisions are final. We have asked what our job duties in the new teams will be, and have been told that this is what the 2 1/2 weeks between the news and the new team assignments will be used to work out. During this period, the aforementioned team members have 3 collective weeks off booked in advance. There is also a platform migration from SAS to viya that is happening in October, that the original team was going to help handle. We asked if the team dissolution could be delayed until after then and the response was an unqualified no.

The question of who handles cross platform issues e.g. issues with SAS connecting to Teradata is that if your team gets the enquiry and it appears to be an issue with the other team's platform, you drop it and transfer to the other team. Double handling is baked into the new model.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Two and a half weeks is plenty of time to line up an interview or two.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Two and a half weeks is plenty of time to line up an interview or two.

When hiring for my military contractor position, it takes about 3+ months to hire someone on

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When hiring for my military contractor position, it takes about 3+ months to hire someone on
Okay so Breetai can't go work there. That narrows the search down!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's amazing to watch the answer to "what motivates you at work" go from "I'm finally hitting my stride in a good team with great people who all work well together and have each other's backs and do good work and are universally well regarded" to "my mortgage requires payment and my long service leave kicks in next year" in the space of a ten minute zoom call.

gently caress, closing the team and making a shift to that kind of platform centric approach may well be justified and could have been accepted by everyone, but actually consulting with the people doing the work and giving them a bit of involvement in the process was apparently too much to ask. Instead everyone feels like a replaceable cog that management can just hammer in wherever they feel like.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Breetai posted:

A horror show

Get out. Get out now.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
People keep using YYMMDD as a date format for some godforsaken reason which is what is currently pissing me off

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SixFigureSandwich posted:

People keep using YYMMDD as a date format for some godforsaken reason which is what is currently pissing me off

It’s a shortened variant of ISO 8601(removed in 2004)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ISO 8601 allows for a lot of hosed up date formats

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SixFigureSandwich posted:

In what context? It's useful for chronological ordering when sorting by filename at least.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sane people use YYYYMMDD. What are you gonna do if a time traveler from 1981 arrives and is confused about which century the dates fall in?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Wibla posted:

Get out. Get out now.

In 9 months my mortgage hits zero and completely coincidentally I get 90 days of long service leave that I can cash out immediately if I'm so inclined.

If this happened then, I'm not sure I'd still be employed the day after hearing the news.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

Sane people use YYYYMMDD. What are you gonna do if a time traveler from 1981 arrives and is confused about which century the dates fall in?

can we get some open and honest discourse going on how to pronounce these date format acronyms. im thinking "eyyyyyyyemmmmmmmdeeeeeeeee"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

can we get some open and honest discourse going on how to pronounce these date format acronyms. im thinking "eyyyyyyyemmmmmmmdeeeeeeeee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7wOGyAzpw

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

nielsm posted:

Hey man, lots of people worked serious overtime on that in late 1999 to make sure the internet didn't break. Don't deny that was absolutely necessary. :mad:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

nielsm posted:

yeah but youre hosed when 10000 AD comes around.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Here in America the year does not matter, that's why it's last. Every year is the same.

Only the month (to determine what economic season it is) and the day (to know when bills are due)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The pronunciation guide is pretty simple:

YYYYMMDD- "The Right Way"
YYMMDD- "The Wrong Way"
MMDDYY- "The American Way"

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 1, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

DDMMYY- "The American Way"

DUMMY

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:sun:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The pronunciation guide is pretty simple:

YYYYMMDD- "The Right Way"
YYMMDD- "The Wrong Way"
DDMMYY- "The American Way"

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Yeah but the real issue is if you write it y/m/d, y-m-d or y.m.d or ymd or