Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Before having played it, I was pretty down on DUSK because ugly until I think Szymanski made a video of Erebus, probably before the ep 2 release and suddenly I understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I am the one person on earth who likes dusk episode 1 the most

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

JLaw posted:

New Quake map jam dropped, theme is "use prototyping textures only" (aimed at encouraging new mappers to try). 29 maperoos. Also includes "prototype"-theme versions of HUD/weapons/monsters/pickups from Kebby the Lego Quake modder, which look quite slick in this context.

Proquake3arenaconfig.jpg

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I know I’m a coddled old man who’s been slowly losing my faculties for years, but drat if the Duke: World Tour collection isn’t driving me insane with how obscure some of the exits/keys are arranged. The Doom games were more or less fine during a recent play through, but maybe I remember those levels better.

Is Duke punking me, or is this a commonly held belief? How’s that new campaign they added? Maybe I should have stopped at the end of the first episode.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The extra World Tour campaign is actually pretty drat solid. And yeah, I've always found Duke 3d to be wayyyy more key-hunt "where the gently caress is that one last goddamn switch" heavy than Blood or Shadow Warrior.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I always love seeing what people click with because Erebus Reactor is the level I can best recall because I liked it so little. Worst level in the game bar none for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i liked 75% of erebus reactor but the central lava pit is some unfinished doom map from 1995 poo poo

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fly Ricky posted:

I know I’m a coddled old man who’s been slowly losing my faculties for years, but drat if the Duke: World Tour collection isn’t driving me insane with how obscure some of the exits/keys are arranged. The Doom games were more or less fine during a recent play through, but maybe I remember those levels better.

Is Duke punking me, or is this a commonly held belief? How’s that new campaign they added? Maybe I should have stopped at the end of the first episode.

I love that new campaign, it was fun to see Allen Blum and Levelord still at it in 2016. Really cool levels. Overall Duke isn't too obscure with the keys for me, though I remember one or two buttons that sometimes I forgot for a while. But any great 90s shooter involved me wandering a quiet level of dead enemies looking for the thingy I missed.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Heavy Metal posted:

But any great 90s shooter involved me wandering a quiet level of dead enemies looking for the thingy I missed.

True.

Gave up on my old save for now, played a few levels of the new campaign. Very cool so far indeed! Thanks all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From five days ago, but I somehow missed it: News on the upcoming Halo: MCC August Update.

The Good News: Reach mod tools, including game variant script source + compiler!
The Bad News: Support for old Halo: Custom Edition mods will be removed in the future.
The Other Stuff: More H2A armor sets, free season points on level up (incl. retroactively!), new Reach skulls, more Forge toys, Reach magnum damage consistency, unified H3 medals, bulk cosmetic unlocking, more subtitles, changing background video in menus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barudak posted:

I always love seeing what people click with because Erebus Reactor is the level I can best recall because I liked it so little. Worst level in the game bar none for me.

O_o

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kinda wild that MCC appears to be getting more support than Infinite

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Kinda wild that MCC appears to be getting more support than Infinite
I'm pretty sure MCC is mostly outsourced to at least ten other studios at this point, while Infinite is mostly 343 themselves swimming in a stew of their own all-consuming bureaucracy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/romerogamesltd/status/1564567018778550272

At least the poster price is cheap-ish?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

My main issue with the Duke 3D World Tour is that it doesn't include the DC or Caribbean expansions.

I can do without Nuclear Winter though.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I also don't remember the game being as difficult as it is in World Tour, even on the easiest difficulty setting.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

BisterdDave posted:

I also don't remember the game being as difficult as it is in World Tour, even on the easiest difficulty setting.
I absolutely do

It always felt like pig cops with their hitscan shotguns could whack away a good 30-40 health points in one go, even with armour.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Drinkslinger posted:

I absolutely do

It always felt like pig cops with their hitscan shotguns could whack away a good 30-40 health points in one go, even with armour.

Maybe they changed something in the Megaton Edition for Vita then, cause I had nowhere near as much trouble with that one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've always found the "Raptor" Chaingunners in Duke 3d to be far cheaper than any other Build engine enemy. Always, always does cheap chip damage no matter what I do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pretty much every BUILD game is united in having protagonists that, despite their bluster and bravado, are basically made out of wet tissue.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Pretty much every BUILD game is united in having protagonists that, despite their bluster and bravado, are basically made out of wet tissue.

You could make an effective Black Mirror episode about someone getting stuck inside the Build engine. Like House of Leaves, except getting really into the non-euclidian nightmares only possible with some Ken Silverman magic. The episode ends when the protagonist finds the 'exit' door and is squashed by opening it too hard

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

You could make an effective Black Mirror episode about someone getting stuck inside the Build engine. Like House of Leaves, except getting really into the non-euclidian nightmares only possible with some Ken Silverman magic. The episode ends when the protagonist finds the 'exit' door and is squashed by opening it too hard

Wouldn't even need to design levels, there's someone working on an accurate recreation of britain already.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Build is cool but I’ll never enjoy them as much as Doom.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

I was just considering to go pick something up, but it was a one-day event and the entry fee for plebs to the .NETday is 500funbux... so lol nope.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Build is cool but I’ll never enjoy them as much as Doom.
I think it's the lack of a dedicated mod scene. Doom WADs have been pushed far above and beyond the limitations of the original over all those years. Build, meanwhile, has Death Wish and... That's really it, isn't it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

anilEhilated posted:

I think it's the lack of a dedicated mod scene. Doom WADs have been pushed far above and beyond the limitations of the original over all those years. Build, meanwhile, has Death Wish and... That's really it, isn't it?

Which is odd because back in the day Build had a WAY easier level editor to work with than Doom did. Or at least that's how I remember it, because I used to make lovely Doom and DN3D maps to deathmatch in with my friends and I could get a decent one up and running in build a lot quicker.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I never did doom level editing, but I remember the build level editor for duke3d making a big deal about being able to easilyswap yo something close to a character view instead if having to stop and load the game to see what things actually looked like.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

anilEhilated posted:

Oddly enough Duke does have a lot of great user maps and mods over the years. There are a few sites dedicated to reviewing them even. And there are still a few of those great mappers releasing stuff in recent years too.

For me it's more so on the single map releases, but I love like 100 of them, and there are cool mods too. And I've made a couple myself, just love Duke maps.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
DukeZone!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

anilEhilated posted:

There is that one insane Duke3D TC I can't remember the name of right now it's loving bonkers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Your thinking of AMC TC.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I am and it kicks rear end

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also Alien Apocalypse, another big one, which I've been playing. Most recent version adds not-Blade.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, cool. Something new to play, then.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anilEhilated posted:

Which in turn as I understand it is due to the Doom engine being much more amenable to source ports expanding its limits vastly beyond what the 1993 engine was capable of, while Build is kind of a mess and nowhere near as flexible or easy to work with

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Shaky Grounds maps are some awesome ones from recent years too.

https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/Shaky_Grounds

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Imagine getting sent to the DukeZone as punishment for your crimes

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FuriousGrey posted:

It won't be out this year — there's way too much left to do. I'll be lucky if it's done by next October since I'm adding a new episode and only have a few Episode 4 maps completed so far. I also didn't want to set an annual October update deadline this cycle so that I would have time to make all the changes to the old maps I've been sitting on due to time constraints.

However long it takes, it'll be worth it :)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Malcolm Excellent posted: