Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how IPAs became the Default Craft Beer that every brewer is legally required to make at least 3 of under threat of public execution or something

maybe whenever the craft beer thing kicked off 30-40 odd years ago one of the first brewers was like "we need a beer that is absolutely diametrically opposed to the typical pilsner-ey macro stuff so people know we're different" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Man, it so difficult to find a beer that isn't a lager or an IPA where I am. Every time I go to the Beer Store I either settle for an IPA or leave empty-handed and disappointed.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

They have to last longer because nobody wants to drink that poo poo

Them how come that's like all I make?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Escape From Noise posted:

Them how come that's like all I make?

:(

I'm so sick of it. Every grocery store near me (Portland) has nothing but IPAs. The only non IPAs are Busch etc

Thankfully I have a place nearby where I can get cream ale (Pelican) growler refills for myself and root beer for the kids

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 30, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Isn’t Portland also a huge microbrew town? Here in Denver we’re lousy with IPAs but everyone also makes a good number of random beers too. I don’t think I’ve ever had an issue finding a beer I’ll enjoy while out and about.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've long since made peace with a lot of people just liking IPAs. I don't, but they sell.

That said, if you live anyplace with a decent number of small breweries I'll guarantee there are a few near you that specialize in non-IPAs. They'll have one or two on draft for the same reason the IPA breweries have a generic pilsner or wheat on tap, but it's not that hard to find something that fits your taste.

If you're in Portland you should have pretty easy access to Pyramid. They obviously make IPAs too, but every bar I've been to between Eugene and Portland had Pyramid Heff on tap at a minimum, and usually their Apricot Ale as well. I'd be pretty surprised if a Safeway didn't have sixers of non-IPA Pyramid stuff.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder how IPAs became the Default Craft Beer that every brewer is legally required to make at least 3 of under threat of public execution or something

maybe whenever the craft beer thing kicked off 30-40 odd years ago one of the first brewers was like "we need a beer that is absolutely diametrically opposed to the typical pilsner-ey macro stuff so people know we're different" or something

Yeah. Pretty much. It was ale, used stringer hops, and different malt. The ur APA and American IPA are Sierra Nevada. The reason they ended up using Cascade hops was it was basically all that was available for small scale production when it was started in the founder's garage.

These days IPA is more of a marketing phrase than an actual style. I mean, there's no real throughline between British IPA, West Coast IPA, white IPA, black IPA, red IPA, double/imperial IPA, Belgian IPA, triple IPA, NE/hazy IPA, session IPA, milkshake IPA, sour IPA, brut IPA, etc. other than "hoppy". Hell. I know a guy who made a pale ale and sales were slow until he relabeled itnas an IPA and it started selling like crazy. It's just one of those things. Due to the original craft beer market, with a few exceptions, it was the craft beer flagship du jour.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

:(

I'm so sick of it. Every grocery store near me (Portland) has nothing but IPAs. The only non IPAs are Busch etc

Thankfully I have a place nearby where I can get cream ale (Pelican) growler refills for myself and root beer for the kids

If you're in Portland then I'd recommend Upright. They do all kinds of awesome stuff. Wayfinder does a ton of lagers and Culmination does a lot of IPA but lots of other stuff as well.

I made a Belgian dark strong today. So I'm looking forward to that

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've long since made peace with a lot of people just liking IPAs. I don't, but they sell.

That said, if you live anyplace with a decent number of small breweries I'll guarantee there are a few near you that specialize in non-IPAs. They'll have one or two on draft for the same reason the IPA breweries have a generic pilsner or wheat on tap, but it's not that hard to find something that fits your taste.

If you're in Portland you should have pretty easy access to Pyramid. They obviously make IPAs too, but every bar I've been to between Eugene and Portland had Pyramid Heff on tap at a minimum, and usually their Apricot Ale as well. I'd be pretty surprised if a Safeway didn't have sixers of non-IPA Pyramid stuff.

Didn't Pyramid fold?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

McGavin posted:

Man, it so difficult to find a beer that isn't a lager or an IPA where I am. Every time I go to the Beer Store I either settle for an IPA or leave empty-handed and disappointed.

Winter is coming, and with it the stouts and porters and delicious caramel goodness.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

These days IPA is more of a marketing phrase than an actual style. I mean, there's no real throughline between British IPA, West Coast IPA, white IPA, black IPA, red IPA, double/imperial IPA, Belgian IPA, triple IPA, NE/hazy IPA, session IPA, milkshake IPA, sour IPA, brut IPA, etc. other than "hoppy".

Honestly, I'm kind of OK with this. I generally don't care for really hoppy beers. The hoppier end of central european pilsners is about where I tap out (something like Tannen Zaepfle if you're familiar).

Having all that stuff just labeled <adjective> IPA is actually really useful for me if I'm grabbing some random new thing off the shelf.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The other big "Another?" beer I see is coffee stout. Everyone seems to do one of those.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Didn't Pyramid fold?

Don't think so. I know they closed their Portland brewery down (which iirc was a smaller brewery that they bought in the mid-2010s) and they closed a few of the big brewpubs they had down. I think they closed the big one they had right across the street from the Mariner's stadium in Seattle, which sucks because that was a great place to pre-game. Basically they expanded right before Covid and got kinda hosed.

Pretty sure they're still brewing out of their other location for retail, though.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of OK with this. I generally don't care for really hoppy beers. The hoppier end of central european pilsners is about where I tap out (something like Tannen Zaepfle if you're familiar).

Having all that stuff just labeled <adjective> IPA is actually really useful for me if I'm grabbing some random new thing off the shelf.

I guess I feel two ways about it. IPA isn't my favorite, normally, but I prefer west coast for the most part. At least here a lot of times I'm very hesitant to buy here in Japan if I'm at a place with waitstaff who don't really know beer (which is fine. It's just a beverage) but you just get stuff called IPA and sometimes it's not clear if it's NEIPA or west coast or uh... mountain IPA? (are people still making mountain IPA?) and I just really dislike hazy IPA. It's hard for me to finish one. But yeah. They're definitely thing. Gonna make a tropical IPA in the next couple of weeks or so. Probably a NEIPA before long. Gotta keep the lights on.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i like ipas because i want to have two beers with dinner and catch a little buzz, not drink 12 coors lights and not catch one at all

also i really, really really hope i get the chance to tell the CEO here off before I quit. i've already got a speech planned and everything. if they want their company poo poo back then they can give me an exit interview :)

it's so great when they need you more than you need them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

The other big "Another?" beer I see is coffee stout. Everyone seems to do one of those.

Yeah. I like it. Couldn't hang with coffee IPA or pale ale. Way different bitterness to me.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't think so. I know they closed their Portland brewery down (which iirc was a smaller brewery that they bought in the mid-2010s) and they closed a few of the big brewpubs they had down. I think they closed the big one they had right across the street from the Mariner's stadium in Seattle, which sucks because that was a great place to pre-game. Basically they expanded right before Covid and got kinda hosed.

Pretty sure they're still brewing out of their other location for retail, though.

Yeah, that's possible. I thought maybe Independent Brewers United was discontinuing a bunch of their brands. I guess that was just Portland Brewing. The former owner who left to found Cascade wrote some poo poo about them closing because of the violence in Portland because of BLM and the South American owners not wanting to deal with that again. I'm sure that the closure had nothing to do with the brand already being no longer relevant when I moved to Portland for college in 2006 but whatever.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

boar guy posted:

i like ipas because i want to have two beers with dinner and catch a little buzz, not drink 12 coors lights and not catch one at all

also i really, really really hope i get the chance to tell the CEO here off before I quit. i've already got a speech planned and everything. if they want their company poo poo back then they can give me an exit interview :)

it's so great when they need you more than you need them.

Everyone likes what they like! I'm just salty that I don't get a lot of chances to find stuff I'm more into.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

boar guy posted:

You can get high ABV without doing IPA. Look into some of the maltier central euro style beers, especially the assorted Bocks. A Doppelbock will sit you on your rear end. One of my absolute favorites is Samichlaus which iirc has an ABV of 14%.

I generally love Maibocks and will down them by the gallon anyplace I can get them on tap, and those usually clock in somewhere in the 6-8 range.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

probably doesn't help that the first beer i had after basically quitting drinking after college for 11 or so years was a blind pig, one of the best in the genre

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

boar guy posted:

probably doesn't help that the first beer i had after basically quitting drinking after college for 11 or so years was a blind pig, one of the best in the genre

Username/av/post synergy right here.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Yeah. Pretty much. It was ale, used stringer hops, and different malt. The ur APA and American IPA are Sierra Nevada. The reason they ended up using Cascade hops was it was basically all that was available for small scale production when it was started in the founder's garage.

These days IPA is more of a marketing phrase than an actual style. I mean, there's no real throughline between British IPA, West Coast IPA, white IPA, black IPA, red IPA, double/imperial IPA, Belgian IPA, triple IPA, NE/hazy IPA, session IPA, milkshake IPA, sour IPA, brut IPA, etc. other than "hoppy". Hell. I know a guy who made a pale ale and sales were slow until he relabeled itnas an IPA and it started selling like crazy. It's just one of those things. Due to the original craft beer market, with a few exceptions, it was the craft beer flagship du jour.

Interesting- I think Sierra Nevada is still independent too somehow

Yeah even here in the faaaar northwest Chicago non-suburbs it's really easy to find a ton of interesting non-IPA stuff at pretty much any liquor store that is not named Walmart or any bar with more than three taps so maybe the fever is starting to break a little. I still like IPAs despite the hypersaturation but it's cool to be able to have them as occasionally as any other style instead of them being the Only Thing

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

I was told that the reason everyone did IPAs was because they don't take as much time to brew as other styles of beer but are higher ABV so you can sell more with less overhead

No idea how accurate that is

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Username/av/post synergy right here.

i still have no idea what this avatar/name is or why someone in fyad gave it to me so many years ago haha

but ill take it

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

have you seen my baby posted:

I was told that the reason everyone did IPAs was because they don't take as much time to brew as other styles of beer but are higher ABV so you can sell more with less overhead

This is also true. An ale takes half the time of a lager of the same alcohol percentage, generally. So like a month for a 5-7% ale vs two months for a lager.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Interesting- I think Sierra Nevada is still independent too somehow

Yeah even here in the faaaar northwest Chicago non-suburbs it's really easy to find a ton of interesting non-IPA stuff at pretty much any liquor store that is not named Walmart or any bar with more than three taps so maybe the fever is starting to break a little. I still like IPAs despite the hypersaturation but it's cool to be able to have them as occasionally as any other style instead of them being the Only Thing

Yeah. Sierra Nevada has done a really good job growing slow and steady and really understanding the market. Also the founder's daughter ended up being interested in the family business, so that helps.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

have you seen my baby posted:

Also you don't have to be nearly as exact on the flavor profile because hops covers up any minor differences in the grain flavor profiles.

IPAs are an acquired taste but once you acquire it it's hard to go back to (comparatively) flavorless lagers/pilsners.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

I'd guess that all the extra hops can cover up other flavors that might be introduced by brewing imperfections as well

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChickenDoodle posted:

Winter is coming, and with it the stouts and porters and delicious caramel goodness.

Sorry, all I have is Winter IPA, Snowy IPA, Frozen IPA, ...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

goatface posted:

The next upcoming beer style you'll be seeing everywhere is Saison so look forward to that

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

Try this double bock if you can get it, it's :yum:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Any german beer with the 'ator' suffix will do the trick too so Augustiner maximator, lowenbrau triumphator etc if you can't find that one. Tho Paulaner is probably the most widely available I guess

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Doppelbock is generally a good time imo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
And if we're talking about emergency throwdown beers just to avoid Bud and Coors I've managed to find a few island lagers that I somehow don't hate:

and

Also must shout out my Irish Red, if you're looking for a completely different taste from German/American beers:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

My boss asked me if I want to attend a training session, then loaded me up with meetings during that time.

Good thing I skipped that training. A supplier came in to review some proposed test builds. Turns out everything my boss was telling them was wrong, their proposed integration did not suit their needs at all, and we had to start their design over from scratch on a whiteboard.

Takes No Damage posted:

Try this double bock if you can get it, it's :yum:

I'm going to need to get some of these tonight.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I’m pissed because it’s hard to find a session beer in any of the supermarket stuff these days. Look, I’m a lightweight, but that doesn’t mean I want Miller light. Just keep one or two things that you bottle under 4 percent, and then I can actually drink it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Man you guys sure are complaining about work a lot huh

Can you at least post about both work and IPAs?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MrQwerty posted:

My tech walked outside to smoke a cigarette on his break at midnight and was promptly sprayed by a skunk right outside the front entrance of the building. Then he came back in to tell our boss he had to leave and gassed out the whole building :lmao:, god for a good 45 minutes it was so strong it was spicy. The front hallway where all the offices are and the front entrance of the building still smell EXTREMELY strong 6 and a half hours later.

He knew what he was doing. Nice work.

e: someone who had hit a skunk drove past our office door yesterday. I was in the middle of a zoom chat, loving gross.

usually I see one or two skunks including road kill a year, this year there's been like 20+. Is anyone else seeing that or has my region just decided to get weird this year?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 30, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Welp one of the only people I enjoy working with hosed off back to Peru, good thing Im back on my art/music bullshit so I can get me a production job like I should have been doing this entire time.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Huh, I was a bit confused since here in Belgium we pretty never drink IPA beers, it's really unpopular. But it turns out it's just a beer style that has nothing to do with Belgian beer at all and is purely a misleading marketing trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

IPAs aren't usually my go to but I did really like Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum when I picked up a pack a few years ago. Upon checking it has 11% alcohol so I was probably just buzzed.

Work chat, I've learned that rather than get annoyed at higher level employees who are pleasant but make unclear contributions to the company and often ask me for the same walkthroughs every few weeks, to appreciate that this makes them happy and they mostly leave me alone and as my role at the company used to pay far less and involve vomit/dumpster cleaning this is fine.