Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

SamDabbers posted:

It may help to refer to it as a Rollover IRA when talking with HR. That's a trad IRA account established when you roll out of a previous employer's 401k and it only has that rollover balance in it with no non-401k contributions. Rollover IRAs can generally be rolled back into a new employer's 401k if the plan allows it, while an individual trad IRA account would not be allowed from what I read.

Crap. Its got a single year's worth of normal contributions in it. Back when the LIN merger happened I was pushed out of the eligible income range for rIRA contributions for that one year. So I did my usual contribution to a traditional IRA that year. And then the pre tax portion of the old Roth 401k got rolled into that earlier this year.

Probably easier to just spend a couple of years Roth converting it and be done with it.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Worth asking the question though, right?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Some plans allow roll-ins from non-rollover IRAs!

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

raminasi posted:

Some plans allow roll-ins from non-rollover IRAs!

SamDabbers posted:

Worth asking the question though, right?

Indeed. I will ask.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 30, 2022

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I-bonds are a maximum buy of $10k per person per year, so don't even bother with that for such a large amount of money, it's irrelevant.

Please be aware that the interest rate return listed everywhere for a six-month treasury bill is the annualized rate of return, so that they can be apples-to-apples compared to other bonds; your actual return currently for buying a single set of six-month bills is about half the listed rate. Consider whether the return will be worth the effort vs. other options like CDs or a money market account.

Also that 8 month window is interesting because of the rules on 1031 exchanges etc. Depending on whether this was a primary home, and various other factors, you may have a 1-year window in which to reinvest before you could owe a lot more in cap gains tax on the sale. Check with your tax expert for your specific situation and know going in whether you need to re-buy within 1 year of sale or whatever.

Thanks! I already have contacted my tax preparer about this. Thanks also for the annualized rate reminder, but it’s still somewhat meaningful - 1.5 for 6 months is still better than 0.75% for 6 months, which is what we’d get with a typical MM fund right now I think. We ended up doing I-bonds with my first house profit already, which were very modest (and effectively zero capital gains due to the amount we spent fixing up the home prior to listing).

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Someone mentioned "goon approved Fidelity ETFs". What would these be? At the moment I am using ETFs from Vanguard, Schwab, and iShares. Always looking to expand my ETF vocabulary even if I don't end up actually investing in them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The ETF versions of Fidelity's index funds are comparable to Vanguard's, and depending on your brokerage or 401(k) options if you only have access to one or the other company the ER difference between them is negligible.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I have a cash balance pension from my old job. Can I roll this into a Roth IRA, or does it need to be a trad IRA first? Is there a tax difference either way?

I may use it for a down payment on a house, but if not I'd like to invest it.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

1031 exchanges are getting outside the purview of this thread, but I'm pretty sure you need to have escrow set up for one before the current property is sold, and you can't use your primary residence in an exchange, only investment properties.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

You might want to consider not holding a target date retirement fund in your brokerage account: that fund will sell stocks to buy bonds every year as it gradually increases its bond allocation, and you will pay taxes on those asset shifts. Target date retirement funds are built for 401ks and IRAs.

Does this advice still apply for a rollover account? Does Vanguard treat a roll-over like a Roth IRA account? Or is that a regular brokerage account?

Roth IRA Brokerage Account
Rollover IRA Brokerage Account

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

1031 exchanges are getting outside the purview of this thread, but I'm pretty sure you need to have escrow set up for one before the current property is sold, and you can't use your primary residence in an exchange, only investment properties.

Didn't know about the escrow bit; made a guess based on the statement that they'd sold two properties that this could have been an investment property.

obi_ant posted:

Does this advice still apply for a rollover account? Does Vanguard treat a roll-over like a Roth IRA account? Or is that a regular brokerage account?

Roth IRA Brokerage Account
Rollover IRA Brokerage Account

No, generally a "brokerage account" is a way of referring to an account that is not tax sheltered or advantaged in any way. Think of it as what people over in the stock picking thread use.

Inside an IRA (ROTH or traditional) you do not pay taxes on transactions that take place there, so target retirement funds are ideal for those accounts. A rollover IRA may have come from a 401k, maybe a pension plan or something, I suppose there could be weird cases (did you inherit this)? but generally for 99.9% of people we're talking about those tax-advantaged IRAs where you can freely buy & sell inside the account with no tax consequences.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

No, generally a "brokerage account" is a way of referring to an account that is not tax sheltered or advantaged in any way.

"taxable brokerage" is common and extra clear, because technically many tax-advantaged accounts are brokerage accounts, i.e. you can trade stocks and ETFs in them, not just mutual funds

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's totally fair. I wish we had a clear signifier that wasn't so wordy (and of course, IRAs are still "taxable", they're tax-advantaged but you pay taxes in at least one direction of in or out...) but here we are.

Maybe "fully-taxed brokerage account" is the most clear?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why don't we just call that a brokerage account and all of the other stuff a tax-advantaged [brokerage if applicable] account

seems pretty straightforward to me?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Antillie posted:

Someone mentioned "goon approved Fidelity ETFs". What would these be? At the moment I am using ETFs from Vanguard, Schwab, and iShares. Always looking to expand my ETF vocabulary even if I don't end up actually investing in them.

VTI, SCHB, ITOT, and uhh...FSKAX? Are the total US market ones. Then the S&P 500 equivalents which are uhh...VOO, SPY? And then Int'l equivalents. Bonds are a lot less clear, but I doubt folks would balk if someone said TLT.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

VTI, SCHB, ITOT, and uhh...FSKAX? Are the total US market ones. Then the S&P 500 equivalents which are uhh...VOO, SPY? And then Int'l equivalents. Bonds are a lot less clear, but I doubt folks would balk if someone said TLT.

he was asking about etfs issued by fidelity, which offers neither a US total market nor a US s&p 500 index etf

you can see a list of fidelity ETFs at these spots:
https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/different-types-of-etfs
https://etfdb.com/screener/#page=1&issuer=fidelity

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, right. Fidelity partners with iShares on their index fund ETFs: https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/ishares
IVV is the S&P 500 fund
ITOT is the total market fund
AGG is the total bond market fund

IVV's ER is 0.03% so it's the same as VOO's.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 30, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ishares is by blackrock and you can buy those commission-free at most places, not just fidelity. they must have some sweet deal to get fidelity promo'ing them.

full list of ishares etfs here:
https://www.ishares.com/us/products...taView=keyFacts

for ishares bonds you probably want to look at something like IUSB instead of AGG. AGG is more for traders. but it's good too

(edit: iusb also has some high-yield)

pmchem fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 30, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Good to know, I was just grabbing off that fidelity page.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm a little off-topic in just wanting to park some money for about a year beyond what deposit insurance will readily cover without opening multiple bank accounts. We sold one house recently and will be moving across country within the next two years. To that end, I wondered if I could get savings bonds and get something from them if I only hold on to them for 6-18 months. How liquid are they? If there's a better method to this that is more short-term oriented, I can try to find a better thread for it, but I figured savings bonds were normally a long-term thing to discuss.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The only US Savings Bonds presently available are Series EE which you need to hold for 20 years to see any benefit or Series I (I Bonds) which have a $10k per person limit per year, which I assume is too low, given that your concern is going over the deposit insurance limits.

Or am I misunderstanding what kind of bond you are talking about?

Edit: also, from the “we” I assume a spouse is involved. As a pair, you can get deposit insurance up to $1,000,000 at a single bank. If you each have a single account with $250,000 and then share a joint account with $500,000 in it, all those dollars are FDIC insured. https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/financial-products-insured/

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 31, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm a little off-topic in just wanting to park some money for about a year beyond what deposit insurance will readily cover without opening multiple bank accounts. We sold one house recently and will be moving across country within the next two years. To that end, I wondered if I could get savings bonds and get something from them if I only hold on to them for 6-18 months. How liquid are they? If there's a better method to this that is more short-term oriented, I can try to find a better thread for it, but I figured savings bonds were normally a long-term thing to discuss.

Opening more than one bank account is trivially easy compared to buying and holding bonds directly. Why do you not want to do that?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Salami Surgeon posted:

I have a cash balance pension from my old job. Can I roll this into a Roth IRA, or does it need to be a trad IRA first? Is there a tax difference either way?

I may use it for a down payment on a house, but if not I'd like to invest it.

I'm not sure that you are able to roll a pension lump sum into a rIRA or tIRA. I know that you can roll it into a t401k if your custodian allows. If you were able to roll it into an IRA and you wanted to do a Roth IRA, you would need to pay taxes on the entire sum as income.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
If SIPC is good enough for you, you can shove cash in a brokerage account if you already have one (or I guess if you're strangely willing to open a brokerage account but unwilling to open a bank account).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

pmchem posted:

ishares is by blackrock and you can buy those commission-free at most places, not just fidelity. they must have some sweet deal to get fidelity promo'ing them.

full list of ishares etfs here:
https://www.ishares.com/us/products...taView=keyFacts

for ishares bonds you probably want to look at something like IUSB instead of AGG. AGG is more for traders. but it's good too

(edit: iusb also has some high-yield)

I know that when you buy shares of Blackrock ETFs through Fidelity they’re not marginable for 30 days and nobody on the phone could explain why to me beyond “it’s part of a special relationship we have with the ETF issuer.”

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You could also look for an insured cash sweep account at a bank. Basically you see one account but the bank splits up your cash across other FDIC insured institutions up to the limit at each. It’s fully liquid so if you need it all back one afternoon you’re good to go.

You could also buy like one month (or longer but that’s most liquid) CDs up to $250k and roll them via vanguard or another brokerage’s brokered CD program,

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Let's just check something: do you mean, literally, savings bonds only, or are you using "savings" colloquially and you'd be fine with bonds, including treasury bills, or even a bond fund?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Extremely useful spreadsheet

I'm going to take some time and do exactly what you have here. Was there a function that let you break out VFORX's current holdings or was it just a matter of looking up what it's holding and put it in manually?

I wish Personal Capital let you export, because I've got all this data tracked within it and it's just an export + a few highlights to show what's 401k, what's IRA, etc. in order to figure out what the heck I should do way more holistically. A knee jerk "sell the funds, buy the ETF equivalents" just sounds like it's bound to go very wrong.

At least this is a good problem to have, and it's probably not much in the end. If I can't buy a Testarossa upon retiring early, it won't end us.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I looked up the prospectus online and put in the percentages manually.

If you like, PM me your email and I'll be happy to email you this actual sheet.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

doingitwrong posted:

Edit: also, from the “we” I assume a spouse is involved. As a pair, you can get deposit insurance up to $1,000,000 at a single bank. If you each have a single account with $250,000 and then share a joint account with $500,000 in it, all those dollars are FDIC insured. https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/financial-products-insured/

Yeap, spouse is involved.

Hmm our credit union told us we only can insure up to $500,000 with them total. Could that be a technicality of using a credit union over a bank?

Leperflesh posted:

Let's just check something: do you mean, literally, savings bonds only, or are you using "savings" colloquially and you'd be fine with bonds, including treasury bills, or even a bond fund?

Yeah I guess I mean anything backed by the US government that is somewhat liquid. Like, I could cash it out within three weeks of wanting to and not have less money than I started; having more would be a low-priority bonus.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I guess I mean anything backed by the US government that is somewhat liquid. Like, I could cash it out within three weeks of wanting to and not have less money than I started; having more would be a low-priority bonus.

Disclaimer: I have not bought treasuries directly myself. Please verify all of the following:

I believe $500k of 6-month treasuries would get you around +$7500 (e.g. half of the listed ~3% yield, which is an annualized rate) after six months.
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/tbonds/res_tbond_buy.htm

Holding actual bonds is not super liquid? You'd receive the payouts but if you needed to divest of them before maturity I'm not sure what the process is. There is an online market for bonds but what someone will pay for a bond depends on then-current yields, not the yield you "locked in" when you bought the bond, so if you're thinking you might sell before maturity I would not do this anyway compared to the other option: use the incredible convenience of a bond fund or ETF purchased through a brokerage. These are funds, which go up and down with the market, constantly adding and rolling over bonds within them, so there is not that direct "buy a bond and know exactly what it will pay out and when" security, but it's probably a lot more convenient and maybe more liquid (you can sell your ETF on the open market on a weekday and get the settled funds within 2 days).

It looks to me like you can get close (~2.5 APR max?) via six-month CDs at the best rate I found on https://www.bankrate.com/banking/cds/cd-rates/. CDs are FDIC insured.

You can just deposit in a high-yield savings account. https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/best-high-yield-interests-savings-accounts/ says 2.1% with Citizens is the best current rate. So another step down from CDs, but you don't have to buy anything. Of course these interest rates can change over time so they're not locked in.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeap, spouse is involved.

Hmm our credit union told us we only can insure up to $500,000 with them total. Could that be a technicality of using a credit union over a bank?

"cash it out within three weeks of wanting to and not have less money than I started" is a surprisingly difficult requirement for investing. you can manually buy and reinvest in 4-week treasury bills through your broker or treasury direct and that'd pretty much do it, but, effort. leper already posted about CD's and HYSAs, so I won't retread that.

in ETF-land (similar to mutual fund land), you can compare various very popular, very liquid ultra-short-term bond ETFs to a money market fund (money market funds don't go down; if they go down, the federal reserve and US Treasury step in). you get a plot like this:

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?VMFXX,JPST,ICSH,BIL,SGOV&n=500&O=011000

red line is the money market fund. you could buy an ETF like SGOV and it is extraordinarily unlikely to go down, but, the returns won't be THAT much better than a money market fund (or HYSA). both vmfxx and sgov are backed by very similar (as far as retail investors care) instruments: treasury bills, federal reserve reverse repo deposits, etc.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/mutual-funds/profile/vmfxx#portfolio-composition
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/314116/ishares-0-3-month-treasury-bond-etf

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Fidelity has an automatic laddering service for bonds and CDs, which might get you closer to where you want to be, but I've never used it and can't speak to how ergonomic or useful it is.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Edit: Nothing to see here, keep those indexes thriving y'all

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 1, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what's your question exactly?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It looks like I can actually just buy treasuries through Vanguard, had anyone done that previously? A guaranteed 1.65% return by March seems pretty good right now, although I guess there’s some risk if rates keep rising aggressively and I miss that upside. The return for VMFXX seems to be more like 2.2%. It’s a relatively small gap but

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ally savings is 1.85%

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Velius posted:

It looks like I can actually just buy treasuries through Vanguard, had anyone done that previously? A guaranteed 1.65% return by March seems pretty good right now, although I guess there’s some risk if rates keep rising aggressively and I miss that upside. The return for VMFXX seems to be more like 2.2%. It’s a relatively small gap but
Ive done it through fidelity, not vanguard, but I assume they’re pretty similar. I’m not sure that it will end up being worth the trouble, but I’m eking out a little extra interest on my cash-ish savings, and it’s pretty straightforward. Fidelity also has an auto-roll setup to automatically buy the same duration when they mature, so that does make it easy to keep some money in short term treasuries without a huge headache. For small timers like me, I think I’m limited to the new issue auctions, so dealing with that schedule is a mild pain, but nothing too bad. I’m curious what you/others in the thread think about it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I went to look into my roll-over Roth from a few years ago and noticed a button I do not recall seeing.

The Convert to Roth IRA button, is that to merge with my current Roth IRA that I have already? Would I need to pay taxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Mu Zeta posted:

Ally savings is 1.85%
Going up to 2% now. :dance: