Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
DWANGO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

credburn posted:

How is Generation Zero as a single player experience? I have it, and played a little bit of it, but I kept running into the same weird issue that made Dying Light unplayable for me; I will be in game for all of about an hour and then other players loaded up with gear will just spawn, dump a ton of powerful poo poo at my feet, and then go around obliterating everything in sight. Like, cool, I guess, but I kind of just want to play the game and try to be immersed in it, and I don't mind playing with others but not like this.

It's great single-player, but dear god, is it a game that rewards patience and caution. Until you get decent weapons, the machines will gently caress you up before you can drop them unless you choose your battlefields. I've played through the entire game, including both main DLCs, three times now because the cat and mouse when you're trying to take down a machine that's a little too much for you is really cool.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I can't speak to single player beyond doing some schematic hunting on my own (where I ran like a baby from any machines I saw) but three player co-op with two friends was a real fun time. Just be aware there's no respec element for the skill tree, at least last when I played, so unless you wanna do some hex editing you're stuck with what you pick. And that sucks when your level caps well before you can fill all of the tree out.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Yesssss
I have been looking for a picture of this dude for ages

I don't know why I look back on him the most fondly out of the whole mid-90s PC Gamer staff, but it is what it is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm finally playing AssCreed Odyssey again, and I forgot how awesome the sailing looks and feels. Even just the tutorial mission of "hey, go out and sink someone's ship" is fun as hell, wearing it down and then boarding and sparta kicking everyone off the sides. It just hits a really big, grand feel and took me off guard because I somehow forgot the game was anything but just running around on foot stabbing dudes. It feels like it could support its own game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm finally playing AssCreed Odyssey again, and I forgot how awesome the sailing looks and feels. Even just the tutorial mission of "hey, go out and sink someone's ship" is fun as hell, wearing it down and then boarding and sparta kicking everyone off the sides. It just hits a really big, grand feel and took me off guard because I somehow forgot the game was anything but just running around on foot stabbing dudes. It feels like it could support its own game.

Pretty sure everyone has been wanting a standalone Pirate Hijinks game since AC:Black Flag, and instead Ubisoft somehow translated that desire like a wish on a monkey's paw into whatever multiplayer-focused trainwreck Skull and Crossbones is turning into. :sigh:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure everyone has been wanting a standalone Pirate Hijinks game since AC:Black Flag, and instead Ubisoft somehow translated that desire like a wish on a monkey's paw into whatever multiplayer-focused trainwreck Skull and Crossbones is turning into. :sigh:

A stand alone pirate game in the vein of mass effect 2 where you do a series of vignettes collecting crew members and helping them with their problems while you track down the bigger threat would be so perfect

We're just in the bad timeline where all the pirate games are part of something else or just games as a service multiplayer stuff (though I actually like sea of thieves pretty well)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh man, I keep forgetting that thing exists. Like, I want it to be good because I'd love a fun pirates game, but it feels like it's going for one of the defining examples of troubled development.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Soul Hackers 2 has short dialogues with demons you try to recruit. Jack Frost can comment that it's the 37th time someone's tried to recruit him. If I'm reading the wiki correctly, Soul Hackers 2 is the 37th SMT game where he can be recruited. Oh Jack Frost, never stop breaking the fourth wall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man, I keep forgetting that thing exists. Like, I want it to be good because I'd love a fun pirates game, but it feels like it's going for one of the defining examples of troubled development.

A trainwreck like Skull and Bones potentially fucks us all twice too, because it either tells their marketing "more pirate sevice game" if it does okay, or "Nobody wants a pirate game, never make one again".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's really shocking how few pirate video games there really are

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
puzzle pirates is the only one you need :colbert:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Publishers got a memo from trade groups about putting a stop to video game piracy and totally misinterpreted it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Publishers got a memo from trade groups about putting a stop to video game piracy and totally misinterpreted it.

someone needs to convince them to try the XXX strategy of picking a title that shows false positives on search, so it's harder for people to pirate the game.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

At this point I'd take someone spitting out a low effort Sid Meier's Pirates! remaster but ever since Shadow of Mordor I've been willing to kill for a Pirate game with the Nemesis system glued on it. It's one of the few "realistic" settings that system would work REALLY drat well in.

Hell you wouldn't need to change the basic gameplay loop that much. Instead of brainwashing Orcs, you're just jacking everyone's boat to build your pirate king fleet.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Tunicate posted:

someone needs to convince them to try the XXX strategy of picking a title that shows false positives on search, so it's harder for people to pirate the game.

elden ring torrent

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
loving remaster Cutthroats! goddamnit!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Why play a pirate when you can be one?

You wouldn't download a galleon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

moonmazed posted:

elden ring torrent

Control

Control Game

Control Remedy Game

Control Remedy Game Controls OK FINE I'LL JUST LOOK AT THE INGAME MENU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Control

Control Game

Control Remedy Game

I'm extremely angry, but at game developers, not you

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

At least Control and Elden Ring only affect their own players, Weird West names itself after a genre and thus screws over anyone else working in that space.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Warad posted:

At this point I'd take someone spitting out a low effort Sid Meier's Pirates! remaster but ever since Shadow of Mordor I've been willing to kill for a Pirate game with the Nemesis system glued on it. It's one of the few "realistic" settings that system would work REALLY drat well in.

Hell you wouldn't need to change the basic gameplay loop that much. Instead of brainwashing Orcs, you're just jacking everyone's boat to build your pirate king fleet.

So close to a One Piece game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In a non-English version of the name issue, it's extra difficult to look up Prey in Japanese because its Japanese name (Purei) is identical to other English loan words like "pray" and especially "play". Basically imagine if they named a video game just "Play", not a lot of relevant hits if you try to search "Play Game" or "Play 2017" or whatever. Saw more than one Japanese person joking that they were going to "Purei Purei" when they were going to play Prey.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kanfy posted:

In a non-English version of the name issue, it's extra difficult to look up Prey in Japanese because its Japanese name (Purei) is identical to other English loan words like "pray" and especially "play". Basically imagine if they named a video game just "Play", not a lot of relevant hits if you try to search "Play Game" or "Play 2017" or whatever. Saw more than one Japanese person joking that they were going to "Purei Purei" when they were going to play Prey.

Sounds like they need better words, in Japan.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Biplane posted:

Sounds like they need better words, in Japan.

Alas, they got English words instead.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
in horizon forbidden west, the first far zenith guy you meet is whistling in the hall of the mountain king

it's such a perfect reveal i keep coming back to it months later

fake edit for people without context: a major part of the plot of both games is that all record of pre-apocalypse human culture was erased

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
also in the same game, the quen being an ancient-worshipping expedition sent from an asian empire to san francisco, where they are now stranded isn't conclusively a reference to the shi in fallout 2, but i am pretending that it is

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Playing bioshock 2 for the first time. It does a great job of building on the creepy atmosphere.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Speaking of Bioshock, I still really liked Infinite even though I think there are a decent chunk of people down on the game now. The ending was really bizarre, but that's kind of part of the fun.

I really like games in general where you've got a partner with you to experience things that doesn't need to be constantly protected. Even when the banter is silly or not written terribly well, it adds to the fun for me

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

verbal enema posted:

PYF games you desperately wanted to love despite a million flaws :sigh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

verbal enema posted:

Oh man, that game. I was so goddamn terrible at it, couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do or how. Seemed so cool, but basically every one of my playthroughs lasted like half an hour to an hour and ended in mutiny or me being put on the gallows.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

moonmazed posted:

puzzle pirates is the only one you need :colbert:

god i wish puzzle pirates would come back into vogue. i want to play puzzle pirates. puzzle pirates reinassance. i don't know what needs to happen. can we get the vtubers on it or something

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Really? Most of the games I play are pirate

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The capture mode in Mad Max isn't the greatest one but goddamn it kicks rear end

That whole game kicks rear end I really really REALLY want another one :(

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Morpheus posted:

Oh man, that game. I was so goddamn terrible at it, couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do or how. Seemed so cool, but basically every one of my playthroughs lasted like half an hour to an hour and ended in mutiny or me being put on the gallows.

You can get it for free nowadays on that game archive site. It runs on my laptop not the best and crashes sometimes but hey round 2!

"SHIP AHOY"
I KNOW I KNOW THERE ARE SHIPS WE LITERALLY JUST ROSE OUR ANCHOR IN THE STARTING PORT SHUT THE gently caress UP UP THERE

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

verbal enema posted:

The capture mode in Mad Max isn't the greatest one but goddamn it kicks rear end

That whole game kicks rear end I really really REALLY want another one :(

I don’t know if it was a glitch but the last time I messed with it it kept the filter on when I went back to the game, pretty cool.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

RandolphCarter posted:

I don’t know if it was a glitch but the last time I messed with it it kept the filter on when I went back to the game, pretty cool.

Hm I should try that and also see if i can't find some of the good ENB settings people made

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Control

Control Game

Control Remedy Game

This is me whenever I do my recurring "I wonder if anyone's made The Movies available again" Google search.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m usually not one to waste a lot of time on mini-games but Knuckle Bones in Cult of the Lamb is really fun.

A good mix of luck and skill and the bgm is nice and chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mostly don't like the mercenary system in AC Odyssey, I feel like it stacks up too fast and generally piles too much on top of other things you're trying to do. But it does occasionally produce some funny moments, like when I took one dude out as a target of opportunity.

"'Beast Caller,' huh? Wonder what that's-"
https://i.imgur.com/HvDUC5D.mp4
"Oh" :stare: