Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It takes a lot at any age. "Supplements" can get you there faster, but if you sit on your rear end shooting them up, you're not going to get any sort of definition like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

It takes a lot at any age. "Supplements" can get you there faster, but if you sit on your rear end shooting them up, you're not going to get any sort of definition like that.

Now you tell me that. :mad:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Am I missing something? Because that just looks like a skinny old man's back. I mean, congrats for not being overweight, I guess, but there's nothing there to indicate he's any more or less in shape than the actor playing Namor.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 30, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glitchwraith posted:

Am I missing something? Because that just looks like a skinny old man's back. I mean, congrats for not being overweight, I guess, but there's nothing there to indicate he's any more or less in shape than the actor play Namor.

If you look at how Deodato draws super heroes, he clearly thinks you aren't muscular unless you have veins bulging everywhere.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Well poo poo a man striding confidently forwards doesn't throw his shoulders back and flex his muscles as hard as he can? It's a still of a guy in motion on a sunny day you're not likely to get a ton of definition even if he's in great shape.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It just occurred to me that the Namor actor is at a disadvantage because of the Namor costume. In most action movies actors will prep for shirtless scenes, getting dehydrated to make sure they're as cut as possible. But that only works if it takes like a day to shoot the shirtless scene. You can't keep that up for the entire shoot, so if he's shirtless the whole time he's gonna be less cut than the other heroes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Namor's actor is completely in shape too. He just doesn't have that Chris Evans/Hemsworth body. Which is good because those are not sustainable to have and it's good to normalize regular human bodies in film.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 30, 2022

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Also while “oh it’s superheroes and it doesn’t matter” pro swimmers usually have a wide shoulder/chest to waist ratio. I don’t think we’ve gotten a full front body shot of Tenoch Huerta yet but if the art is anything to go by, wow. Plus in live action I’m more apt to believe a wider body with whatever BS oxygen exchange needs the space for a respiratory system

Gripweed posted:

I've seen more horny posts about Alfred Molina than about Chris Evans. I think that guy might not have his finger on the pulse of what the audience wants.

Pretend I posted the Molina as Doc Ock meme that says “the first thing I look at in a man is his heart, the fact that his tits are in front of his heart is NOT MY FAULT”

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It looks like the public mockery worked!
https://twitter.com/jorge_molinam/status/1564675788586340353

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

https://twitter.com/xtop/status/1564769036487262208?s=20&t=CftiwUI0YcBJjJv7jCDtQg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Namor's actor is completely in shape too. He just doesn't have that Chris Evans/Hemsworth body. Which is good because those are not sustainable to have and it's good to normalize regular human bodies in film.

I think one of the Eternals' actors talked about how all the crazy training and dehydration and such to look like that made him more miserable than he'd ever been. His wife said she liked him more when he had to gain weight for a role.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

I think one of the Eternals' actors talked about how all the crazy training and dehydration and such to look like that made him more miserable than he'd ever been. His wife said she liked him more when he had to gain weight for a role.

Kumail Najani got ripped for Eternals, but apparently Marvel didn't actually ask him to do that.

Rob McElhenney got really fat for a season of It's Always Sunny then got super loving ripped and said in interviews his wife (Kaitlin Olson) vastly preferred him when he was fat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Christian Bale went from being super super underweight for The Machinist to working out to play Batman. I think he filmed those back to back (IMDb lists another movie in between).

I've heard heavy lifters make fun of people who are ripped. You look strong, but aren't compared to the huge ones who can lift tons.

Bodybuilders basically stop eating and actually get weaker for their contests as that makes their muscles pop out of their skin.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 31, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm trying to think of any live action superhero, where the actor being completely ripped has ever made a positive difference to me. Perhaps Captain America should be in peak physical condition, but other than that I don't get any extra enjoyment out of it.
Just as a Tom Cruise movie isn't actually better because he does his own stunts, it may actually make them worse.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Oasx posted:

I'm trying to think of any live action superhero, where the actor being completely ripped has ever made a positive difference to me. Perhaps Captain America should be in peak physical condition, but other than that I don't get any extra enjoyment out of it.
Just as a Tom Cruise movie isn't actually better because he does his own stunts, it may actually make them worse.

The scene in Captain America where he comes out of the syrum machine totally buff and the lady trembles as she goes to touch his pec is…

Look it was worth it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Kumail Najani got ripped for Eternals, but apparently Marvel didn't actually ask him to do that.

He also "allegedly" did so many steroids for that nothing movie, he changed the shape of his skull.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

He didn't even get a shirtless scene. He got so ripped but he's always in that thick costume that completely hides it. He even gets a dance scene where he easily could have been shirtless, but instead they put him in an even boxier than normal shirt! So not only does he not get to show off his body, he dances like a refrigerator being wheeled around on a furniture dolly. And he didn't want to do that scene at all because it establishes him as a Bollywood actor when Nanjiani is Pakistani!

I don't know what he did to piss of Chloe Zhao, but I know he'll never do it again.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Apparently nobody asked him to get that jacked. That’s all him. They saw how hard he was going and said “Yo, you don’t need to be that ripped, Kingo’s not that kind of superhero” and Nanjiani just doubled down and got even swoler.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Oasx posted:

There's been a critical argument in circulation for the last few years that one of the major factors behind the MCU's market dominance is that a distinct effort has been made to serve the "female gaze."

The first few phases of the MCU were relatively light on dynamic female protagonists, but it did have--

thetoughestbean posted:

The scene in Captain America where he comes out of the syrum machine totally buff and the lady trembles as she goes to touch his pec is…

Look it was worth it.

--that. It seems to have worked, in that the MCU seems to have a higher overall female audience than one might otherwise expect.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My wife loves the shirtless scene in Thor.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Darth Brooks posted:

My wife loves the shirtless scene in Thor.

Yeah keep the beefcake, it's earned.

But when it comes to actual strength, just look at the internet freaking out over Thor in the God of War previews. That's a build that radiates strength but because he has a gut and no visible veins, dudes are freaking out.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Oasx posted:

Jumping off this, I think Chris Pratt getting that ripped to play Starlord was a mistake. He's a goofy childish slacker and also incredibly disciplined when it comes to diet and exercise? It is hard loving work being that lean and you don't get to eat garbage and Starlord the character would totally eat a ton of junk food. Yeah yeah surprise he's not actually all the way human but it's bad visual storytelling. The script says one thing, the visuals contradict it.

Also if he was a little softer (not fat, just less lean) it would make Drax that much more insanely muscular in contrast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solenna posted:

Jumping off this, I think Chris Pratt getting that ripped to play Starlord was a mistake. He's a goofy childish slacker and also incredibly disciplined when it comes to diet and exercise? It is hard loving work being that lean and you don't get to eat garbage and Starlord the character would totally eat a ton of junk food. Yeah yeah surprise he's not actually all the way human but it's bad visual storytelling. The script says one thing, the visuals contradict it.

Also if he was a little softer (not fat, just less lean) it would make Drax that much more insanely muscular in contrast.

I dunno, there's a very deliberate dissonance between him being a goofy slacker when he can afford to be and a lethally efficient space pirate when he has to be. Notice how all his weapons and fancy little gadgets are also in tip-top condition, even if his ship is a flying hovel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Soonmot posted:

But when it comes to actual strength, just look at the internet freaking out over Thor in the God of War previews. That's a build that radiates strength but because he has a gut and no visible veins, dudes are freaking out.

Ooh, any links? I hate myself and wish to expose my brain to the worst takes on media that have ever existed.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Doesn't make sense to think that a physique with zero body fat is more ideal for someone who spends most of their time in the frigid ocean depths imo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Soonmot posted:

Yeah keep the beefcake, it's earned.

God of War Thor is pretty close to the Thor of Norse mythology. The people complaining have probably never read the stories about the Norse gods.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Solenna posted:

It makes sense now, but at the time he really would have been Andy Dwyer in Space. Getting ripped and showing that off in the trailers created more space between the characters.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Didn’t Chris Pratt get ripped for Zero Dark Thirty?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

King Baby posted:

Didn’t Chris Pratt get ripped for Zero Dark Thirty?

He did but he put on a bit of weight again for a film in between that and Guardians.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Kiwi Farms was recently taken down after swatting politicians and other highly illegal poo poo.

Ethan Van Sciver, a man who is almost 50, was a verified user on it, and would basically use it to dox his enemies.

Now, he's trying to create a Comicsgate Forum where he can keep doing it/hurl racial slurs without persecution:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1566574501634215941?s=20&t=9YQdgtUMLkhcHvvEN3ufJA

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Already banned?

https://twitter.com/ethanvansciver/status/1566577539157573633?s=46&t=ldCq3rAdWuH8OBEaLexogA

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While I was never as much of a piece of poo poo as EVS is, I was a really terrible person for a very long time. So from that position (and not from some internet tough guy mentality) I can firmly say that EVS is in dire need of a massive rear end kicking.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

E the Shaggy posted:

Kiwi Farms was recently taken down after swatting politicians and other highly illegal poo poo.

Ethan Van Sciver, a man who is almost 50, was a verified user on it, and would basically use it to dox his enemies.

Now, he's trying to create a Comicsgate Forum where he can keep doing it/hurl racial slurs without persecution:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1566574501634215941?s=20&t=9YQdgtUMLkhcHvvEN3ufJA

lol I didn't even know kiwi farms was gone, good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The only funny thing I ever saw in the brief time I had to keep tabs on the comic threads in kf was that at least half of the posters there also thought evs was a total hack/fraud and would poo poo on him every time he posted. His splinter forum dying immediately doesn't surprise me

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mallratcal posted:

Gone, back on some Russian company, gone again a day later. Fun times.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

mallratcal posted:

People involved are getting served with legal paperwork hither and yon and it's being classified as a terror threat, it's a pretty good time and also completely unsurprising that EVS was running his dumbass grift there as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kalli posted:

There's currently a lot of pressure on their physical host too, some chud-friendly outfit in Vegas I believe. Null mysteriously has a family emergency he won't talk about so he won't be in contact for the foreseeable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mallratcal posted:

One of them posted a bomb threat. In Belfast. The place which famously does not take bomb threats lightly.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gripweed posted:

One of them posted a bomb threat. In Belfast. The place which famously does not take bomb threats lightly.

Against the person spearheading the campaign to get the site taken down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Kalli posted:

Hostile V posted:

People involved are getting served with legal paperwork hither and yon and it's being classified as a terror threat, it's a pretty good time and also completely unsurprising that EVS was running his dumbass grift there as well.

Gripweed posted:

Joe Fisto posted:

Against the person spearheading the campaign to get the site taken down

Deeply satisfying lols, seriously that last bit is amazing.