Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So long as they keep No-Build mode forever, I'll keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

Last time I played Fortnite there was a bunch of matchmaking filters so you could go into controller only or KB+M only etc. I expect they'd add the same option so you could be VR players only or go up against everyone if you felt you were good enough.

Sure, most people (myself included) just hit the game type they wanna play and go tho.

Also VR only lobbies? oof. Talk about queue time.

Inzombiac posted:

So long as they keep No-Build mode forever, I'll keep playing.

No build best mode. I play so much fortnite now XD

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Judging by the Questies on VRChat and the little bit of Fortnite I've played, the average age of a Fortnite VR player will be 2 years old.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Frobbe posted:

(i have a wand that shouts skadeedle skedoolde your dick is now a noodle and spawns a wiggly noodley thing at the target's crotch for example)

Welp, I'm sold.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I think the Fortnite art is interesting and vibrant enough that I’d like the VR game to be 3rd person. Game uses lots of towering structures and lots of effects, feel like it would be fun in 3rd person.

If this is going to be a thing, that is. Oh and no building for life.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

New Pavlov achievement: getting banned from two servers in one night for "aim botting"

You just gotta point at the bad guys and pull the trigger, I don't see what the problem is.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I really want to host a pavlov server but I fear the game is actually dying

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Beastie posted:

I think the Fortnite art is interesting and vibrant enough that I’d like the VR game to be 3rd person. Game uses lots of towering structures and lots of effects, feel like it would be fun in 3rd person.

If this is going to be a thing, that is. Oh and no building for life.

Honestly I hate 3rd person for games like Fortnite, where you can just sit in cover and angle your camera so you can see everything and not be seen. First person would be my preference easy. But we're agreed on no building.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kazy posted:

Judging by the Questies on VRChat and the little bit of Fortnite I've played, the average age of a Fortnite VR player will be 2 years old.

:yeah:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I think you could run a successful server, I just think it would depend on what game type you'd focus on. The player pop doesn't seem to be falling by my observation but I also don't know what the developers are even working on at this point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I forgot Fortnite had no build mode, I’d mix normals with VR then, I feel like you couldn’t compete with the insane builders in VR

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E: the rare double post

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Naw it might be in a slump but something will come out and bump player count back up. While the guns are a bit jello its still fun.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I forgot Fortnite had no build mode, I’d mix normals with VR then, I feel like you couldn’t compete with the insane builders in VR

You 100% could not keep up with turbo building for sure.

I can't keep up with it on kbm and I'm not exactly some rookie fps gamer. >_>

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Looking to get into VR and I've heard you can enable pcvr for the quest 2 by having a cable link up with the PC? If that's the case why do the people still go for the €1k+ solutions? I've literally heard quest users referred to as questlets in VRChat videos so I'm guessing there's still a crippling limitation with respect to controllers/trackers?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

School Nickname posted:

Looking to get into VR and I've heard you can enable pcvr for the quest 2 by having a cable link up with the PC? If that's the case why do the people still go for the €1k+ solutions? I've literally heard quest users referred to as questlets in VRChat videos so I'm guessing there's still a crippling limitation with respect to controllers/trackers?

Questlet I imagine would be referring to people playing the Quest 2 native version of VRChat. If you link to your PC (wired or wirelessly) you get full VRC without limitations.

The Index is still supposed to be way more comfortable a headset than the Quest 2 (I wouldn't know, never used one), and lighthouse tracking is still higher quality and doesn't have the same blind spots as Quest tracking. But at the end of the day, if you're just looking to get into VR, you really can't go wrong with a Quest 2 (unless you just don't want to give money to meta/facebook.)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Apparently the Kickstarter for the new Index wireless widget from Nofio is opening soon with an early backer cost of 400usd. I had a look at the specs and a few early peek videos and it looks like it might actually be a viable solution to wireless for Index.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70myYatn_IM

You can sub to their email newsletter to get a bell when the Kickstarter drops

https://nofio.co/

I put off upgrading my VIVE to an Index due to no wireless and have been keeping an eye on the upcoming Meta headsets purely for their ease of use, but if I could have a proper PCVR Lighthouse rig with a current-gen headset I would be very happy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheezle posted:

Questlet I imagine would be referring to people playing the Quest 2 native version of VRChat. If you link to your PC (wired or wirelessly) you get full VRC without limitations.

It's less a stigma of just using a Quest 2 and more that 99% of the standalone Quest version users are screaming children with zero concept of personal space.

Public instances of The Black Cat are a special flavour of hell, and I highly recommend never setting foot in one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82oJt2enz8A

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's less a stigma of just using a Quest 2 and more that 99% of the standalone Quest version users are screaming children with zero concept of personal space.

Public instances of The Black Cat are a special flavour of hell, and I highly recommend never setting foot in one.

yeah, no one cares if you use a Quest 2 in PCVR mode, that's what most people recommend to anyone wanting to do VRchat the intended way.

Going to the black cat in a meme avatar and listening to kids being insane agents of chaos is great fun tho.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

All children should be banned from using the internet.

Jk, actually there was a screamer in a Pavlov Hidden match but we just talked to him like a calm adult and he chilled out right away.
Kids just love to mirror their environment and BOY HOWDY does it get annoying fast.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

School Nickname posted:

Looking to get into VR and I've heard you can enable pcvr for the quest 2 by having a cable link up with the PC?

Cable not necessary, it works wirelessly. You just ideally need Wi-Fi 5 or 6 and the PC to be wired to the router.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Alright, you guys gonna make me try Fortnite now.

I have to admit I've been intrigued since "no build mode". Like I wanted to try "PUBG but better and more stupid and colorful... and free", but the dumb build mechanic got in the way of my interest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

King Vidiot posted:

I have to admit I've been intrigued since "no build mode". Like I wanted to try "PUBG but better and more stupid and colorful... and free", but the dumb build mechanic got in the way of my interest.

Same here but now I play it a lot.
Matches are fast and there are so many quests to passively complete that you're earning stuff every match.

No need to win, just do goofy poo poo and ride a rollercoaster in a hamster ball.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/FpNrJlx3KFY

An overview of the incoming games. I knew about of most of them, but it's good to have them all compiled in one video.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

Gunplay is loving fun and if you're good at shooters in general, like say, apex, you'll come in and poo poo on kids all day. Its quite relaxing.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Apparently the Kickstarter for the new Index wireless widget from Nofio is opening soon with an early backer cost of 400usd. I had a look at the specs and a few early peek videos and it looks like it might actually be a viable solution to wireless for Index.

I put off upgrading my VIVE to an Index due to no wireless and have been keeping an eye on the upcoming Meta headsets purely for their ease of use, but if I could have a proper PCVR Lighthouse rig with a current-gen headset I would be very happy.

Can confirm its good via friends in the industry who've had plenty of hands on. Its just expensive as gently caress.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

School Nickname posted:

The info in the OP still generally holds up: the more expensive headsets usually have better comfort, better screens, and/or better support for enthusiast stuff like full-body tracking that very few people have any actual use for.

The Quest 2 is fine for most people. It's got kind of a poor reputation in social games, but that's mostly because being the cheapest option by a huge margin means that Quest-only stuff tends to have by far the worst pubbies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

I had the same thought and fired it up last night. No build mode is real good

First round I was literally the first person dead, because I couldn’t figure out what key I had bound to the parachute in the time it took me to hit the ground after jumping off a building.

Next round I finished second and was literally one shot away from the win

In summary, battle royale is a land of contrasts

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Riatsala posted:

I think you could run a successful server, I just think it would depend on what game type you'd focus on. The player pop doesn't seem to be falling by my observation but I also don't know what the developers are even working on at this point.

I think the focus on the quest port was kind of the beginning of the end for Pavlov. My thinking was deathmatch on a well curated maplist is the way to go. Also maybe gungame if I can figure out a way for the server not to change maps everytime a gungame round ends

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Looks well placed to mass balance the hmd.. I put 350g of dead weight back there before it really stopped digging into my cheeks. Between that and a 4mm magnet stack at the top of the interface and an Apache strap Index can be quite comfy but wireless would be p nice though not sure if I would throw $400 at the problem when it seems other upgrades are around the corner

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's looking like HMDs are going to be somewhat smaller and lighter next gen, it might be a bit more difficult to balance that amount of bulk.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Most vendors seem to be going for wireless headsets next gen, so aftermarket solutions might not even be needed then.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I recently switched from an elite style to a halo style head strap and the difference in comfort is huge. I only use VR for flight sims so i don’t need it to be ultra secure on my head. With the elite style, the clamping feeling got uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes but the halo strap pretty much never gets uncomfortable. As a bonus, it lets me wear overear headphones where my old strap interfered with them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Stumbled across this in my Steam discovery queue this morning and I was wondering if anyone else has tried it, since it looks pretty cool:

I Fetch Rocks

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256888724/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

The year is 2150. You’ve successfully landed a job working for one of the many mining facilities stationed in the asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars. Using a company issued Asteroid Hauler, your job is to search for mineral rich asteroids and tow them back to the primary mining facility for further processing.

Build it
Pre-fitted or built from scratch the control layout, types and operations are assembled using a fully player modifiable node based system of simple single function components. Don’t like the position of a control? Move it, change it or remove it. This is your ship so it’s your choice!

Wire it
All components can be connected using red cables which simulate power distribution and green cables which simulate data flow from user input and various sensors. Using the modules and data systems you can wire the ship how you want it. Want to fly with proximity sensors only? Wire it up and off you go… but good luck!!

Fly it
Use the controls you built and wired or a pre-fitted ship to haul asteroids and complete contracts or just have some fun flying about in space dodging rocks.

Be warned, this trivial sounding job will push you to your creative engineering limits. The asteroid belt is extremely dangerous, radiation and cosmic rays will continuously degrade the components of your ship. Over the course of your employment you will need to become intimately familiar with how all ship systems operate and fit together so that you can rearrange, rewire and reprogram them as they fail around you. You’ll need to get creative to survive and get your payload back to the primary mining facility.

I like the look of building and wiring up and improving my own cockpit a lot, but I haven't seen anyone talk about this thing and it came out back in March

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've got it wishlisted, but I havent been able to pull the trigger for $15 yet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That seems super interesting but also something that I couldn’t be assed to get into fully/learn. I’m glad it exists though.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This is a shitload of money buttttt I can almost justify it to myself, too bad the moment I put the money down Valve is probably going to announce Index 2: now with all the minor annoyances fixed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had the same thought and fired it up last night. No build mode is real good

First round I was literally the first person dead, because I couldn’t figure out what key I had bound to the parachute in the time it took me to hit the ground after jumping off a building.

Next round I finished second and was literally one shot away from the win

In summary, battle royale is a land of contrasts

Fortnite does this thing where the very first dozen matches you play are vs bots only and the game doesn't tell you about it.
That way new players always get good results and thus have a more positive feeling on the game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've got it wishlisted, but I havent been able to pull the trigger for $15 yet

So I gave it a whirl tonight and I like it quite a bit. I think if the trailer intrigues you, you'll probably dig it. It's still pretty early access, I will say that. Performance is a little spotty and there's some typos in the tutorial popups and stuff like that. But it has a pretty good tutorial that walked me through what most everything in the starter ship does and how it's wired up and how to get a contract, grab a rock, and complete a mission. I was able to rewire a couple things in the ship afterward.

I'm not sure how much longevity it'll have. Like, it's always going to be "go search for the right rock and bring it back." But I guess they just added some story missions which give you upgrades and new circuit patterns, like a way to hook up better engines and improved radiation dampening for your ship so you go out farther and get higher paying minerals. It also has a sandbox mode, which I guess is if you want to mess around with wiring stuff up without worrying about anything. And a mode where you start with a ship that's not put together and you can hook everything up the way you like it, instead of starting with a pre-made like the tutorial gives you.

I played through the whole tutorial and then messed around with some wiring stuff on my ship and my play time was only 80 minutes. So it seems like for anyone considering it, you could always buy it, run through the tutorial, and then refund it if it isn't your thing. It's the sort of thing that's exactly made for me, since I love slow space hauling and tinkering around hooking up machines and stuff, but it's a pretty niche thing.

(edit): Protip: I didn't notice that the datapad has a label maker until I was about to quit tonight and that's a real handy thing to have since almost none of the controls start out labeled

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 2, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6NJizw42ns
https://www.oculus.com/blog/mixture-new-vr-game/

It seems Moss but with a moth instead of a mouse, but with a Heavy Metal twist.

--

Steam stats this month are hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm somewhat disappointed with Deisim's progress to 1.0. The game has graduated out of Early Access, and in Quest it has jumped from AppLab to the official store, but the game is really more or less the same than 6 months ago. I hoped for a more meaty changelog. Just a handful of fixes, a few new sounds, new models for monarchs, and a new spell.