Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The music for RBB, doesn't it sound similar to Bulk and Skull's theme from Power Rangers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Losing lives in Rusty Bucket Bay is a common trend; it had even claimed the life of your controller in the end!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think that Click Clock Wood isn't as big as it looks at first glance, once you get familiar with the layout. It reminds me a lot of Treasure Trove Cove where it looks very open and free but where you can actually go winds up carefully channeled.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
The comparison to DK64 is pretty apt I think, with the major difference that Banjo Kazooie is just a much better game.

Click Clock Wood is my favorite platformer level of all time, because I think seeing how it evolves is really cool and I don't mind a little repetition.

arteliad fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 24, 2022

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I like DK64. :colbert:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

To join the chorus of CCW (and RBB) defenders:

I think the way you're approaching this game (necessarily, no fault of yours) makes some of these problems bigger than they would have been in, uh, the game's native environment.

This is a platformer from the 90s aimed at children, the median player was (I'd guess, I wonder if there are stats?) a mal-coordinated ~10 year old kid for whom this was one of the handful of games they'd get that year; it's designed to keep them entertained for months. The repetition is much less of a problem under those circumstances, as is losing notes on death; you're not meant 100% a level on your first go.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

At first I was taken aback by the comparison to Donkey Kong 64, but on further review Click Clock Wood really is a sample of what that game has in store

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DK64 is like, what if the entire game was Grunty's Lair? And you have to go everywhere six times? Would that be fun?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Brutal Garcon posted:

To join the chorus of CCW (and RBB) defenders:
as is losing notes on death; you're not meant 100% a level on your first go.

Unless you played the Xbox 360 remaster which did let you keep notes on death.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

With click clock wood the biggest issue is less dying and more getting to the end and realizing that somewhere in that giant mess are 4 notes you missed.

E: also the bee doesn't fear the Venus fly traps because they're actually Snarebears and the bee is obviously not a bear in a clever disguise.

E2: speaking of missing stuff that you later have to find... that end of the video :ohdear:

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 25, 2022

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's been a while since I played Banjo Kazooie, but I think the trick to getting down from high places without going kablooie is to ground pound on the ledge and during the flip back go over the edge.
Though I might be wrong, in which case the Wonder Wing will keep you strong.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Both Kazooie and Tooie are on Gamepass Ultimate via cloud streaming, yes. When I tried to play Tooie through late last year though, it was a bit of a crapshoot on getting it to connect, but once it was up it was generally fine.

Anyway, enjoying the LP even if you stress me out sometimes with health. :)

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I know Banjo and Kazooie thought they were feeding that bird with good intention, but I wonder if they're now war criminals under the Geneva Convention?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
As a new-ish parent, I can relate to Eyrie eating, greatly expanding his size, and then immediately falling asleep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fall is my favorite version of the CCW theme.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Through the forest ring the screams of the damned. As through Eyrie's gullet they are slammed.

Everything is sentient and alive, one must murder simply to survive.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I never realized what a lazy piece of poo poo Nabnut is

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Come winter grab Nabnut's gold, then leave the lazy fucker out in the cold.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Embracing war, Argate heard the word: make sure you kill every last bird.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Eyrie part reminds me of going through the village at the start of resident evil 4 with those screams.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally put a finger on why CCW's music was bothering me: the melody is very similar to Jungle Japes in Donkey Kong, especially the DK64 version, and I'm pretty sure segments of it with the flute (or another woodwind) are lifted wholesale.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I am very much looking forward to what happens next. :allears:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

That sure was some swanky sounding music coming from that pad; a final area with tunes like that can't be all that bad!

Metroid26
Apr 17, 2018
Speaking of swanky music, this seems like the perfect time to drop a video analyzing Grant Kirkhope's musical techniques from this level.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It's interesting how culturally specific this game is, especially next to obvious point of comparison Mario 64.

i.e. the ice level had a Christmas theme, and the seasons of CCW a) exist at all and b) specifically have a wet spring/autumn and a dry summer.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm surprised nobody picked up on Nabnuts' name having a double pun, one of which isn't child friendly.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Silver was 100% correct; the automatic diving was due to momentum making you cross the edge of the ice hole and forcing you under (because there's no water surface there).

And congrats on getting everything in those nine levels! Now it's just a matter of closing things out...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You fuckers talking about DK64 got me to try it. It's... Actually not so bad. The Kong switching is annoying but rarely actually tedious, there's tag barrels basically everywhere it could matter. They definitely learned a lesson or two from this loving level!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dabir posted:

You fuckers talking about DK64 got me to try it. It's... Actually not so bad. The Kong switching is annoying but rarely actually tedious, there's tag barrels basically everywhere it could matter. They definitely learned a lesson or two from this loving level!

Oh yeah for the most part the game is pretty good at being like "this section is for Chunky" and gating it appropriately, but what really makes it obnoxious is the hub areas that demand you come back to them over and over with a different Kong each time, and how many of them are gated by abilities that are just blatantly different keys. Guns, instruments, and different levels of the ground pound are all functionally exactly the same thing and the list of actually unique abilities for each Kong is embarrassingly short.

E: Plus good loving god the game is so dark. We get it Rare, you can do colored lighting now. You can use ones other than black.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The most annoying stuff was bits like Frantic Factory's corridors, where you'll have, like, yellow bananas going down a corridor, green coins at the top of a climbing pole, then you get to the end and it's a Tiny challenge.

The most direct comparison to Click Clock Wood is Fungi Forest, though. Yes, it can beannoying to go back and cannon up to the switch to change time of day, but it's just at the level entrance, you can quit out and go back in if you really need to. And it's a state change for the level, rather than four different levels with similar layouts, so the vast majority of bananas and stuff can be obtained at either time of day. And there's only two different states! Amazing!

Dabir fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 3, 2022

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fungi Forest is a cut level from Banjo, which is why it's one of DK64's only good ones. :ssh:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Should have cut Wood instead imo. Tbh the only DK64 level I actively don't like is the sand one, and that's because of all the loving damage floors. gently caress off with damage floors, collectathons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All the times I've played this game and I've never noticed Nabnutz' paramour. :allears:

Gnawty's honeycomb is always the last thing I do in the level so it doesn't matter if I live or die.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Aaaah. Now that's the true CCW experience right there. Now imagine if artix wasn't there to guide you to that last jiggy, hidden in a spot you have zero reason to ever go to. Even if you went all the way to the invisible ceiling for giggles you aren't even guaranteed you're on the right side of the tree to find it.

Cythereal posted:

All the times I've played this game and I've never noticed Nabnutz' paramour. :allears:

Gnawty's honeycomb is always the last thing I do in the level so it doesn't matter if I live or die.

Same. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the deathtrap of an exit that argate demonstrated. Those thin layers of ice forcing you to redive are murderous.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm surprised nobody picked up on Nabnuts' name having a double pun, one of which isn't child friendly.

I knew about it, I just didn't feel like calling it out. I have plenty of other "I am literally 12" jokes to make without going for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Overall despite the pains that can happen from CCW’s layout….. I still really love the level.

It’s just so drat cozy no matter the layout, and the fact that the game ends on a pleasant nature stroll rather than some stereotypical lava level or sky world is so cool to me. I think overall that describes why BK sticks in my memory so well too, every level start to end oozes their vibes in spades which was so much more than Mario’s more basic outing at the time.