Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

On a rainy night two years after the defeat of the conniving witch Gruntilda, a giant drilling machine piloted by the evil witch's sisters wreaks havoc on Spiral Mountain, freeing Grunty from the hole in the ground she'd been trapped under ever since the end of the titular bird and bear's first adventure. Seeking revenge, Grunty interrupts Banjo and Kazooie's poker night, destroying their home and killing Bottles in the process before fleeing to the Isle o' Hags.

Following the success of 1998's Banjo-Kazooie, it was only natural that Rare would greenlight a sequel. Immediately after the release of the original title, Rare got right to work on Banjo-Tooie, working hard to refine and improve the foundation the first game laid out. Released in 2000 for the N64 and 2008 for the Xbox 360, Banjo-Tooie's levels are bigger and more expansive and there are even more moves and ways to scour the worlds to collect more and more Jiggies and notes! The game's scope is so massive, the poor N64 struggles to run it, at times! This is not an issue with the Xbox 360 port, however, although the smoothed out framerate does cause some desync issues of its own. Lots of appreciated quality-of-life features have been implemented as well, such as a few different fast travel systems and collected notes being recorded in the player's save file. As these QOL features apply to all versions, we will be playing the N64 version for this LP, as I did not want to buy an Xbox.

This will be a blind LP where I run through the game under the guidance of my co-commentators Artix and Silver Falcon. As a blind LP, it should hopefully go without saying but :siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:. Updates should ideally be twice-a-week, but no promises. You can follow me on Twitter for updates to this LP or other projects I might be working on while the service seemingly still exists.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

The N64's library doesn't have a whole lot going for it; outside of Nintendo's own excellent offerings, a lot of other developers opted to pass it over for Sony's shiny new Playstation. Aside from Nintendo's offerings, Rare's output for the console did a lot of heavy lifting both in the way of filling out the console's library and for codifying the 3D Collectathon, with 1998's Banjo-Kazooie being a strong pillar of their contributions.

Banjo-Kazooie stars a bear and bird duo, the titular Banjo and Kazooie, who set off to rescue the former's sister Tootie after she's kidnapped by the evil witch (who actually sounds kinda cool based on all the gossip?) Gruntilda, who felt slighted after her magic mirror declared the young bear the prettiest in all the land instead of herself. The adventure is a colorful romp through many vast lands, like forests, swamps, a desert, etc., all connected together with Grunty's Lair as the central hub.

At some point, I realized that I've never actually completed any of Rare's games for myself, so I decided I wanted to change that, starting with this game. For this LP, we'll be playing the version offered with Nintendo Switch Online; I do not have access to an Xbox, so the nicest looking version I have access to is on Switch. I'm also told that the sequel, Banjo-Tooie, has a very nice QoL feature that was back-ported to the Xbox version of this game, which is nice for that version, but does nothing for the N64 original, so to save us some grief, we opted to play the release with save states built in.

This will be a blind LP where I run through the game under the guidance of my co-commentators Artix and Silver Falcon. As a blind LP, it should hopefully go without saying but :siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:. Updates should ideally be twice-a-week, but no promises.

Bonus: Grunty's Revenge

Bonus: A short look at Nuts & Bolts

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was released on the 360 back in 2008 and got...well, we will politely call it a "mixed reception". Nuts and Bolts, while still very similar to Kazooie and Tooie in its overall structure, leans heavily into the new gameplay mechanic of letting the player build their own vehicles to tackle the game's challenges. And credit where it's due, the game's physics are surprisingly robust and nuanced, capable of handling just about anything you can throw at it. It is genuinely fun to build and tweak your own vehicular abominations until you embarass the game's difficulty.

What is is not, however, is a Banjo game. Or at least, not a very good one. Given the emphasis on vehicles, Banjo's actual moveset has been more or less completely erased, reduced to a simple jump and Kazooie being able to swing her wrench around as an attack. The challenges broadly lack variety (there is only so many ways you can dress up "bring me a thing/take this somewhere" or "race me/go somewhere"), and the game has a pretty major tonal problem, opting to open the first game in almost a decade with what essentially boils down to "Those games were terrible. Why did you ever like them? Why do you even want another one?"

This is made worse by the fact that the worlds they build are really good, and have that classic Banjo charm. Showdown Town is a great hub, with goodies hidden around every corner, and the each of the game's six main levels look gorgeous. They're huge, far too big to be reasonably traversed on foot (which is arguably the reason for the vehicles' inclusion), but if they had been scaled down by 25%, there is absolutely no reason that it wouldn't pass as a new Banjo game.

We will not be playing all of this game, because to be frank I do not like it. In fact, unless something has gone horribly wrong, we'll be done after I post Part 2 on Thursday. But it would be a shame to not show it at all, given that we played through the entirety of goddamn Grunty's Revenge.

Part 1: Lord of Games
Part 2: Nutty Acres

seriously argate go buy a loving copy of Tooie

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 21, 2023

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

You missed your chance when you picked up that honey, a Resident Evil "itchy tasty" reference would have been funny

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Banjo & Kazooie best stay away from Springfield of Simpsons fame.

Being a bear and accessory to being a bear are pretty serious crimes there, you know. :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Good luck!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One who's never played this sounds quite absurd,
So this LP looks quite good, spread the word

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The text skip in this game is on a L+R+B, which feels like a debug feature they left in but is very useful for replays anyway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh man, it's not normally an issue, but when you walked up to the beak barge tutorial I saw that n64 draw distance at work

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I don't think I could even go back to the N64 version after playing the Xbox remastered version, there's a few QOL changes that I'd REALLY miss.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't think I could even go back to the N64 version after playing the Xbox remastered version, there's a few QOL changes that I'd REALLY miss.

Hello yes this is me and we will be making this point *very clear* later in the LP. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Cowards.

*Definitely did not have the exact scenario described in the video occur on the last level last time he played. Except it was closer to 90% done*

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The only Rare game I’ve ever completed or even played was Donkey Kong Country and that was because it was on the Gameboy Advance. Sometimes it seems like everyone else on the forum has played every Rare game ever made.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

DK64 is the only Rare N64 game I managed to play so I will be very interested to see its predecessor!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

White Coke posted:

The only Rare game I’ve ever completed or even played was Donkey Kong Country and that was because it was on the Gameboy Advance. Sometimes it seems like everyone else on the forum has played every Rare game ever made.

That's not really difficult when most of the memorable N64 games were made by Rare, Nintendo really hosed up by selling their shares to Microsoft.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I really hope you enjoy all that Banjo Kazooie has to offer. It's a great game, even if it suffers from some early 3d jank.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cythereal posted:

One who's never played this sounds quite absurd,
So this LP looks quite good, spread the word

Ree-raa-ree-rah, ree-ra-ree, Ree-raa-ree-rah, ree-ra-ree?

What the hell does that mean?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This is my favourite platformer on the N64.

You'll find for sure, it's not a bore.

A bird and bear make for a great team.

Banjo Threeie? Maybe not just a dream.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'll take my preference for the original hardcore note collection system with me to the grave.

Always a delight to see new people experiencing this king among games, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Just going to mention if anyone else wants to see another renowned LPer play this game Blind, Chuggaaconroy is playing it with NintendoCapriSun and ProtonJon helping him over on their Collab channel. He's up to World 7 right now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So do you have anything to add or did you just think "Hey if you want to watch someone else entirely play this instead, here's who you can check out!" was a good contribution to the thread?

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Artix posted:

So do you have anything to add or did you just think "Hey if you want to watch someone else entirely play this instead, here's who you can check out!" was a good contribution to the thread?

1. The thought was "as well" rather than "instead".
2. I'm sorry if my post came off as rude, it wasn't intended to be. Just thought if people liked this series they'd like to watch more of the same.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I can't resist watching LPs of this game, because I keep waiting for one of them to help me understand why everyone loves it so much. It's one of the most popular games from its era, and everyone constantly raves about how wonderful it is/was, and I just... don't see it?

I had this game back in the N64 days, and it's one of the few N64 games I owned that I bounced so hard off of that I never finished it. In fact, I don't think I ever played much past Mumbo's Mountain? And this isn't because I dislike 3D platformers, because I loved Mario 64 and went on to play most of the 3D Marios.

Part of it, I think, is that this game is the most obvious precursor/genre codifier of the "collectathon", and I've always found them rather off-putting. (Though some people put the 3D Marios in that genre, too, and it's not precisely wrong, they've always felt a bit different to me. At least until Odyssey, anyway, which definitely is one, but I managed to enjoy in spite of that.) To me, there's a substantive difference between "we use objects as mission goalposts" (SM64), and "we dumped all this random rubbish everywhere, gather it up because we said so" (Banjo et al). Spraying collectibles everywhere does get the player to see and touch the whole level, but it also makes these places feel much less organic, and (IMO) makes exploration feel less fun. It's not that I don't like collecting things; it's that I don't like the game's primary objective being "we spilled confetti for you to clean up".

I also remember finding the controls clunky (in particular, the way the C buttons were used), but I think some of that was me being young at the time, and to the extent they are clunky, I find it a lot more forgivable nowadays given this was before any kind of consensus about 3D game design could develop.

(Also, nowadays, I find this game's particular flavour of humour to be unpleasantly puerile, but I certainly wouldn't have complained about that at age nine or ten, so that doesn't explain my reaction back then...)

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying this game is kind of a personal bugbear (heh) for me, and I keep coming back to these LPs to see if it'll ever make sense to me. I'm not here to rain on the parade of the LP (this is a popular and beloved game, probably for good reason! I'm just a weirdo who doesn't get it), I'm just genuinely puzzled (oops) by it.

Edit: I should add, I'm very curious to see what Argate's final opinion of the game ends up being, playing it blind in 2022.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 22, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pro-tier sequence-breaking TAS strats with the FlapFlip Jump in Ticker's Tower there!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Explopyro posted:

I can't resist watching LPs of this game, because I keep waiting for one of them to help me understand why everyone loves it so much. It's one of the most popular games from its era, and everyone constantly raves about how wonderful it is/was, and I just... don't see it?
collectathons own, clearing out a level of all the stuff is cool. If you don't get that inherent appeal, then the game is probably not attractive to you.

Even still, BK is one of the densest collectathon there is, avoiding all the issues big games with tons of map markers and "go here do thing get tiny reward" have. Every world is super compact and you can be done with getting everything in a level in about an hour. It's touted as still holding up because it didn't fall into the trap of maximalism.

(I personally like Tooie a lot as well, but I can see the argument that it's just too much in comparison)

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Everything has eyes and will talk to you. EVERYTHING.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is the theme for Grunty's lair just the Teddy Bear's Picnic?

Yes

Yes it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Explopyro posted:

For me, a large part of it is the charming art, sound, and music direction. I've felt that a lot of games from this era feel rather soulless and struggling with the limitations of the time, but in my eyes BK oozes personality and character that set it apart from other games of its ilk.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm fascinated by the idea that in 2022, there is someone who both hasn't played Banjo-Kazooie and is interested in doing so. Having had an N64 growing up I have a lot of fond(?) memories of the collectathon genre, but the industry has passed it by for so long that people know where they stand on it at this point. Definitely curious to see how this goes, I do think this is a good game if you have patience for the genre (and good call playing a version with better Note-tracking).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, the totem respawns?:aaaaa:

It's kind of fun watching a blind lp because I've played it enough over the years that I can blast through it in a day. Seeing mumbos mountain take 30 minutes edited with the lper exploring the world for the first time is a refreshing bit of extra nostalgia

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Note-collecting chat:

The thing for me is that the note door totals are (with a few exceptions) pretty generous, so the game is balanced around not 100%ing each level on a first attempt. Having to go back to earlier levels and grind out an extra few notes after progressing to the later stages of the game gave a nice reason to revisit the early game, and none of the levels are really so big as to make backtracking a pain (again with maybe one or two exceptions.)

I can see that it's frustrating if you a) want to 100% everything and b) are not familiar with the game but personally I have really fond memories of managing to get the final few notes to open some of the last doors as a kid. And the very highest-value ones are optional anyway. I suppose it's a difference between it being one of the handful of games that you own and will spend months steadily working through rather than something to be blasted through relatively speedily for the enjoyment of internet strangers.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Not gonna lie, I winced a little when you took out the whole totem, but I suppose the honeycomb's not really that visible unless you actually look up.

Simply Simon posted:

collectathons own, clearing out a level of all the stuff is cool. If you don't get that inherent appeal, then the game is probably not attractive to you.

Even still, BK is one of the densest collectathon there is, avoiding all the issues big games with tons of map markers and "go here do thing get tiny reward" have. Every world is super compact and you can be done with getting everything in a level in about an hour. It's touted as still holding up because it didn't fall into the trap of maximalism.

(I personally like Tooie a lot as well, but I can see the argument that it's just too much in comparison)
I'd say Tooie actually dialed it down a fair bit compared to DK64.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Quantum Toast posted:

Not gonna lie, I winced a little when you took out the whole totem, but I suppose the honeycomb's not really that visible unless you actually look up.

It’s not really visible, yes, but in the sense that it’s not visible at all on account of being inside one of the upper segments of the totem.

I’m not sure if the honeycomb’s shadow even shows up when there’s still a section of totem left, in fact…

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

One thing I've always found amusing is that the "note score" mechanic (and the associated penalty for dying) came about because they didn't have room to keep track of every collected note in the save files. It's not a technical limitation, it's a feature, we swear!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Quantum Toast posted:

I'd say Tooie actually dialed it down a fair bit compared to DK64.
Absolutely, I just wanted to compare the two BKs. Apart from the sheer amount of things, DK64 also has the problem that the various tiny challenges you have to do for your main collectibles are just not fun. BK excels at having you do a whole bunch of different tiny challenges with what amounts to a pretty basic moveset, and there's just a few jiggies where I'd go "ugh this one, I hate it". In DK64, they often have you do a mini-challenge and then do a minigame, and those are either completely awful to begin with or lose any novelty the fifth time you have to do them.

Tooie incidentally also has a bunch of minigames but a) they're all different and b) most are actually p fun

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

loving beaver bother :argh:

I have a fondness for DK64 on account of having played it as a child, but. Game is... not great, on several levels. Absolutely a work of visual wizardry for the n64, though.

I've never played the BK games myself, so it's really weird to heard sound effects that got reused either as-is or with very minor alterations in DK64. Not bad, just slightly jarring.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Explopyro posted:

One thing I've always found amusing is that the "note score" mechanic (and the associated penalty for dying) came about because they didn't have room to keep track of every collected note in the save files. It's not a technical limitation, it's a feature, we swear!

Frankly I'm surprised the N64 wasn't glowing like a nuclear reactor with how much Rare pushed that system to its limits.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

I've never played the BK games myself, so it's really weird to heard sound effects that got reused either as-is or with very minor alterations in DK64. Not bad, just slightly jarring.
Even a few of the abilities are lifted from this game. I remember one of Diddy's was basically identical to something we haven't seen just yet, and I think Lanky had Talon Trot?

(I don't really hold it against them though. If you've gone to the trouble of making something, why not use it more than once?)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

Even a few of the abilities are lifted from this game. I remember one of Diddy's was basically identical to something we haven't seen just yet, and I think Lanky had Talon Trot?

(I don't really hold it against them though. If you've gone to the trouble of making something, why not use it more than once?)

His chimpy charge is basically the beak barge as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I still think DK64 would've been a lot better if they'd just restrained themselves to one character instead of five. The levels are big enough that they take a lot of time to explore, but then every character has a gun that activates different switches, a body slam that activates different switches, barrels with their faces on them, color coded bananas that you can see but can't pick up for no reason, the list goes on and on. The character swapping gets increasingly complex as it goes on too, so instead of taking 5x as long to complete you're looking at like 10x or more. It's amazing how quickly it gets tedious.

Tooie is downright reasonable in comparison.