Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Well the guy who attacked the FBI with a nail gun was a bubblehead and, unsurprisingly, drove a mustang.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/loner-gunman-attacked-fbi-office-was-navy-vet-drove-fast-was-devoted-d-rcna42937

Ticketed in 2004, still paying off his 26% interest loan on that 2002 mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

His assignment was overseeing electronic equipment associated with weapons such as missiles and torpedoes.

TM is the dumbest rating.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That sounds more like FT, which kinda tracks with my experience with FTs all having a touch of that sort of crazy in them.

It had to be a coner, the only people nukes ever shoot is themselves.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proust Malone posted:

TM is the dumbest rating.

I was gonna say he couldn’t be a TM as they haven’t been on subs since 95, but then i saw he was 47 so he may have started as a TM before getting merged into STS.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was gonna say he couldn’t be a TM as they haven’t been on subs since 95, but then i saw he was 47 so he may have started as a TM before getting merged into STS.

Dude left the navy in early ‘03, so that checks out.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Well the guy who attacked the FBI with a nail gun was a bubblehead and, unsurprisingly, drove a mustang.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/loner-gunman-attacked-fbi-office-was-navy-vet-drove-fast-was-devoted-d-rcna42937

Time to ban assault high capacity nail guns. No one needs those.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

Time to ban assault high capacity nail guns. No one needs those.

*sad ranger noises*

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Nice! posted:

TMs became MMs, then MMWs, then TMs, then "POs" with everybody else, now they're back to TMs. Everyone continued to call them TMs the entire time regardless of their rating. TM/STS was never a merger though FT/STS will probably merge eventually and has almost merged a few times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oh snap. I didn’t realize it got turned back into a rate in 2019.

Also my bad, I thought they merged with STs like they did on surface ships.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I didn't realize that TM came back. Weird.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cerekk posted:

then "POs" with everybody else

God, that was such a weird, like, six months. The other day our legal O needed an example investigation report so I went to pull up an old one I had done and it turned out to be from that period. I'm glad the Navy memory holed that initiative pretty quickly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Surface and submarines, too, it would seem.

IIRC the STGC on my first ship was a former TM.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

NRC Utah just had a drilling reservist commit suicide last night.
Sigh.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ManMythLegend posted:

The MM phase was trying to pretend they are mechanics who do ordnance stuff on the side instead of ordnancemen who have to do some mechanical stuff as part of their job but are very bad at it.

The best part was the couple years where they made all the MMs take the same rating exam and all of a sudden career A-gangers are getting asked about guidance wire splicing on their rating exams.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cerekk posted:

The MM phase was trying to pretend they are mechanics who do ordnance stuff on the side instead of ordnancemen who have to do some mechanical stuff as part of their job but are very bad at it.

The best part was the couple years where they made all the MMs take the same rating exam and all of a sudden career A-gangers are getting asked about guidance wire splicing on their rating exams.

This happened when they merged HM and DT too. The next couple rating exams were heavily weighted toward dentistry and - weirdly - a whole section of questions about how to handle precious metals reclaimed from tooth fillings.

I feel worse for the dental techs who all of a sudden had to bone up on the entire rest of medicine though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cerekk posted:

So bad at it, I had to write so many QA-14s as AQAO for torpedo division.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

It had to be a coner, the only people nukes ever shoot is themselves.

:drat:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So I didn’t do much this year for my eval besides dubious ATs to fleet week and Germany so I was a little worried about my last eval before I’m up for board the first time. However my unit gave me a LoA for some technical work on a printer and the nmci network I did this past weekend and now I’m feeling pretty good about my chances.
Traveling to Utah still sucks but drat if this unit isn’t making it hard to leave them.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

So I didn’t do much this year for my eval besides dubious ATs to fleet week and Germany so I was a little worried about my last eval before I’m up for board the first time. However my unit gave me a LoA for some technical work on a printer and the nmci network I did this past weekend and now I’m feeling pretty good about my chances.
Traveling to Utah still sucks but drat if this unit isn’t making it hard to leave them.

The way your career has been I don’t think you need to worry about anything… ever.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Crab dad's gonna make chief first time up no problem but he needs to act like maybe he won't and maybe his eval will kind of suck to appease the navy gods.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
MCPON Crab Dad when

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Captain America, but instead of being ripped he just hands out his CV

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why did I just get a recruitment email from the reserves saying "IT1 Crab Dad says you're a great candidate for reserve duty" is anyone else getting those

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

why did I just get a recruitment email from the reserves saying "IT1 Crab Dad says you're a great candidate for reserve duty" is anyone else getting those

https://youtu.be/7V02QF9bwcY

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Lol at the armed services committee ordering the Navy to stop sucking at cyber things in the new NDAA.

They didn't take my suggestion of "more money". Fuckin army gets like 2k/mo extra and the Navy gives $300 in SDAP.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Heard theres going to be like a 9 percent bump in 23 for retire and disability pay, hell yeah :homebrew:

E. FTN, lol if youre still in, etc. and so forth

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

King of Bees posted:

Heard theres going to be like a 9 percent bump in 23 for retire and disability pay, hell yeah :homebrew:

E. FTN, lol if youre still in, etc. and so forth

Hell yea

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Laranzu posted:

Lol at the armed services committee ordering the Navy to stop sucking at cyber things in the new NDAA.

They didn't take my suggestion of "more money". Fuckin army gets like 2k/mo extra and the Navy gives $300 in SDAP.

The Air Force is reshaping the enlisted corp through forced attrition. Three promotion boards have had historically low rates. The most recent, for E-5, is the least-bad of them...it's the worst since 1997 while the others go back to the 80s.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Godholio posted:

The Air Force is reshaping the enlisted corp through forced attrition. Three promotion boards have had historically low rates. The most recent, for E-5, is the least-bad of them...it's the worst since 1997 while the others go back to the 80s.

I remember air force e5s at 20 being common when i joined to almost everyone I knew in the AF getting e8-9 super easily and early by the early 2010s.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bring it back

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
O7

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Back in Jax and all checked into the command, thanks again for all the recommendations for the road trip, it was a blast. Taking Highway 550 from Colorado to New Mexico was a blast!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1564650744065642497?t=eJsJx8F8J3-0Pk6wLxLKjQ&s=19

Lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t see any prevention?

What am I missing here?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Here's another video showing the Iranian ship being interdicted by a USN PC, still doesn't show the conclusion, but w/e.

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1564650893038874624?t=MFdHmPM1Ymw4_iJNvjlyNA&s=19

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why would they use a drone boat? Why not a drone plane?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What the hell is a done boat anyway?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Not much, what the hells a done boat with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Back in Jax and all checked into the command, thanks again for all the recommendations for the road trip, it was a blast. Taking Highway 550 from Colorado to New Mexico was a blast!

Attaboy, grats.