Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outrail posted:

He knew what he was doing. Nice work.

e: someone who had hit a skunk drove past our office door yesterday. I was in the middle of a zoom chat, loving gross.

usually I see one or two skunks including road kill a year, this year there's been like 20+. Is anyone else seeing that or has my region just decided to get weird this year?

Oh it was absolutely a signature move by him, my boss got a headache and everyone was bitching all night and 1st shift came in like, "WAS THERE A SKUNK IN THE BUILDING?"
It was excellent work, and I was :lol:ing the entire time.

Every manufacturing plant I have ever worked at has had a smoking area infested with skunks, this one's is just right next to the front door lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can get high ABV without doing IPA. Look into some of the maltier central euro style beers, especially the assorted Bocks. A Doppelbock will sit you on your rear end. One of my absolute favorites is Samichlaus which iirc has an ABV of 14%.

I generally love Maibocks and will down them by the gallon anyplace I can get them on tap, and those usually clock in somewhere in the 6-8 range.

This is good advice to fall back on for Americans looking to escape ipas and piss beer. I'm partial to Schneider Weisse's Tap-7 for its smooth notes, but I'll sip the Aventinus Eisbock (12% ABV) if I need a kick.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

MrQwerty posted:

Every manufacturing plant I have ever worked at has had a smoking area infested with skunks, this one's is just right next to the front door lol.

Sooo… what do you use to attract skunks to a smoking area?
There are no skunks where I live :eng99:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zopotantor posted:

where I live, the manufacturing is mostly adjacent to the North Valley, which (sometimes) has a "river" flowing through it

the Rio Grande actually used to be a river :(

also, the one at my previous plant was out in the middle of a dirt lot and this one is surrounded by bushes, so lots of critter huntin' and my hours are their activity peak

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

I hate to break it to you but that they haven't been smoking tobacco.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Tunicate posted:

I hate to break it to you but that they haven't been smoking tobacco.

Lol

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My team did the first day in the office since before most of us were hired today. Most stations weren't actually set up to use our current laptop models, requiring me to steal a bunch of power blocks for the team from other desks.

My boss came over and slapped me in the stomach before shaking my hand and declared "I knew you were a skinny guy, but drat." Everyone but me left after 1 PM because being in the office sucked.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lazyfire posted:

Everyone but me

Not a team player

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder how IPAs became the Default Craft Beer that every brewer is legally required to make at least 3 of under threat of public execution or something

maybe whenever the craft beer thing kicked off 30-40 odd years ago one of the first brewers was like "we need a beer that is absolutely diametrically opposed to the typical pilsner-ey macro stuff so people know we're different" or something

Yeah, pretty much. Fifteen years ago especially, in what a lot of people call the "IBU Wars", brewers were competing over how much bitterness they could add to their beers just to be dIfFeReNt and somehow people linked that to both a) the strength of the beer (which is inaccurate) and b) masculinity.

These days, though, "IPA" can refer to anything from the enamel-stripping oldschool IPAs to the 0-IBU hazy juice bombs, as long as hops are the primary character in there.

Thankfully more breweries are getting back into session beers and lagers these days, which are my preference even though I drink (and brew) everything. Most of my original recipes here are lagers of some sort, with a few English ales and stouts thrown in for good measure, and a handful of IPAs and pale ales.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The solution to selling your non ipa's is to just attach a few shots of a strong spirit to the package. The people drinking 4-5 percent beer are not buying it as regularly as the people drinking 6-8 percent beer, it is literally that simple. Domestic lagers can sort of get away with it because when you buy those 30 packs they come out p cheap per can, but the only people buying a 6 pack of pilsner drink rarely and are likely grabbing it as something to share at a one off dinner party or bbq or whatever. It's like when you see those graphs about average weekly/monthly alcohol consumption and it turns out the bulk of people don't drink much but the drinkers drink a lot, well the "a lot" portion isn't loving around with craft 4% beers, the beer drinkers among them are either buying cheap mass produced racks or they're getting stronger micros.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just don’t drink bourbon barrel aged imperial malt liquor. Founders DKML is disgusting.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Just don’t drink bourbon barrel aged imperial malt liquor. Founders DKML is disgusting.

Founders is also a racist as gently caress company, so I stopped drinking them years ago!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My work doesn't do anything dumb that's beer related

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I once had to stop a co-worker from putting ashtrays through the glasswasher.

She was 30 years old. :eng99:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Edit: ok, I looked it up. Why is it bad to put an ash tray through it?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Sorry for the derail. poo poo. I swear my poo poo was work related. I forgot to open the blow off valve yesterday. I'm a big idiot. Fortunately nobody died. I do feel like I was hit by a loving bus though. Been too long since I brewed I guess.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

TotalLossBrain posted:

I would assume because you don’t want all of the nasty poo poo in an ashtray in your dishwasher. That’s why I wouldn’t do it at least.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Escape From Noise posted:

Sorry for the derail. poo poo. I swear my poo poo was work related. I forgot to open the blow off valve yesterday. I'm a big idiot. Fortunately nobody died. I do feel like I was hit by a loving bus though. Been too long since I brewed I guess.

I like your posts even if they cause derails
:justpost:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It wasn't a derail, it was our union-mandated break.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrQwerty posted:

where I live, the manufacturing is mostly adjacent to the North Valley, which (sometimes) has a "river" flowing through it

the Rio Grande actually used to be a river :(

also, the one at my previous plant was out in the middle of a dirt lot and this one is surrounded by bushes, so lots of critter huntin' and my hours are their activity peak
Its like I always say, you've never truly lived unless you've used a golf cart to chase a raccoon around on night shift at the uranium factory.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

PRVs my man. I just ordered a couple of 1 bar 1.5" sanitary clamp pressure relief valves off Amazon. When I spec tanks out I usually have a 2" clamp ferrule put on top of the tank for frangible discs as a back up in case the PRV clogs from krausen or whatever. The frangibles blow at 24 PSI and they can't clog because it's a metal disc made to fail at a specified pressure.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

skrapp mettle posted:

PRVs my man. I just ordered a couple of 1 bar 1.5" sanitary clamp pressure relief valves off Amazon. When I spec tanks out I usually have a 2" clamp ferrule put on top of the tank for frangible discs as a back up in case the PRV clogs from krausen or whatever. The frangibles blow at 24 PSI and they can't clog because it's a metal disc made to fail at a specified pressure.

We have PRVs, fortunately. It was just a dumb thing I did. Fortunately, no huge issue. I remember thinking I may have forgotten it as I was going to bed. Yeah. That might be a good thing to look for.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007
One of my idiots decided that it would be a good idea to remove the PRV and close the blow-off "so oxygen can't get in" when I left him unsupervised at one of the breweries because he's special and apparently likes to blow up tanks. The manway ended up bowing out and had to be replaced. That guy now delivers between the breweries.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

McGavin posted:

Man, it so difficult to find a beer that isn't a lager or an IPA where I am. Every time I go to the Beer Store I either settle for an IPA or leave empty-handed and disappointed.

What's up Ontario goon, where is the magical land you are shopping? I hear this complaint a lot but I can almost never find an imported IPA that isn't Goose. Even Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada seem to have disappeared.

Even a lot of my local favourites are even getting hard to find - like no one carries atomic smashbomb outside of GTA any more.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The smell. For several days afterwards, this weird ashy smell gets everywhere around the machine, and into your other glasses.

Theoretically it could be fine if someone, say, washed the ashtrays by hand then put them through the machine for finishing up, but that's not what most people in fact do, and so you typically get people half-heartedly knocking out cigarette butts and solids, and then leaving mountains of ash and a few lonely butts to be tipped into the machine that is supposedly making your glassware ready for use.

It's been years since I worked in a bar, and indoor smoking was banned halfway through that, but I still remember that smell so clearly.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

skrapp mettle posted:

One of my idiots decided that it would be a good idea to remove the PRV and close the blow-off "so oxygen can't get in" when I left him unsupervised at one of the breweries because he's special and apparently likes to blow up tanks. The manway ended up bowing out and had to be replaced. That guy now delivers between the breweries.

JFC! That's so loving dumb!

One of the first breweries I worked at here was started by a rich guy with no knowledge of beer or brewing and so he hired this brew pub owner as a consultant. Basically she was there to teach the staff. She's alright and really helped me out when that employer really hosed me, but she had a very homebrewer approach to brewing. She was obsessed with cleanliness and D.O., but to a point where she was missing the forest for the trees and had weird practices that made brew days and other processes take several more hours than needed doing unnecessary sanitation (of like a floor for example) and the like. She had blow off tubes made with a one way valve that fed into a water lock, not only was it a hat on a hat, but this kind of built up pressure during fermentation because it restricted the amount of CO2 that could escape, especially during the first couple days when fermentation is at it's most vigorous. She also insisted that you could close the blow-off valve because "there's a PRV.". It's obviously best to have a PRV but it's a safety measure, not something you should wholly rely on. Fortunately no explosions.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

As someone with a lab background, I am frequently amazed how casual a lot of industries / workplaces are about high pressures.

Sure, heat and large-things-moving-fast can be just as dangerous, but people have an instinctive understanding of that (exceptions for stuff like turbines that you wouldn't really know had internal moving parts until you're picking bits of it out of a wall).

With pressure, people just seem to find it difficult to internalise that This Stuff Can Kill You. They'll leave pumps running into something without a safety valve. They'll check pressure by cracking the seal. Stuff like that.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

As someone with a lab background, I am frequently amazed how casual a lot of industries / workplaces are about high pressures.

Sure, heat and large-things-moving-fast can be just as dangerous, but people have an instinctive understanding of that (exceptions for stuff like turbines that you wouldn't really know had internal moving parts until you're picking bits of it out of a wall).

With pressure, people just seem to find it difficult to internalise that This Stuff Can Kill You. They'll leave pumps running into something without a safety valve. They'll check pressure by cracking the seal. Stuff like that.

Oh yeah. It's absolutely an issue in the industry. I think it's because there's such a Pro-Am culture around it. poo poo, plenty of people aren't careful about using a face shield and heavy gloves when handling harsh caustic used to strip organic material off of stainless steel. Last place I worked the cheapskate boss laughed at me when I said we needed a face shield for chems. I still got one on the company dime.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Zopotantor posted:

I find they really like old pizza, I saw one going to town on a pizza box outside a hotel I used to work at.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

evilpicard posted:

What's up Ontario goon, where is the magical land you are shopping? I hear this complaint a lot but I can almost never find an imported IPA that isn't Goose. Even Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada seem to have disappeared.

Even a lot of my local favourites are even getting hard to find - like no one carries atomic smashbomb outside of GTA any more.

I'm in the GTA, but I moved here from Vancouver about a year ago and the lack of variety here is absolutely brutal. Even the microbreweries here seem to only have lagers and overly hoppy IPAs. It's like stepping back in time 20 years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I work in manufacturing, about a month ago we had hired an auditor, they came through and said "you need to increase headcount by 50% on every shift in the project that (I'm a shift supervisor for) they're overworked and you can't produce at your desired rate"

I'm the hiring manager for my shift, and management told me "start increasing headcount fucko!", a 50% headcount increase is a daunting task, since we require an extensive and specific skillset, and honestly don't pay that great for it, especially considering cost of living (benefits are excellent at least). So I start stumping on Social Media, LinkedIn, specific FB groups for relevant jobs etc. I somehow find 70% of the people I need to hire, across the board well qualified, one dude is willing to take a 30% paycut and abandon a job offer he already has because what we make is cool, he's better qualified to supervise my shift than I am. Cool. Sure I'm spending 4 hours a day screening and interviewing people and ignoring the other aspects of my job, but we're expanding and it's gonna be awesome.

All these candidates pile up in the "offer 'em money and sign the contract" phase, I'm told "don't worry, it's just a temporary freeze while we evaluate some expenditures".

Of course it's not that, it's my company going "LoL, just make the existing people work harder to hit performance metrics" and now I have to shed headcount (internally, not layoffs thank god) and we're missing out on an outrageous bounty of technicians. I'll be hosed if I ever jump through my rear end to fill vacancies from now on.

This is on the heels of them forcing us to work 20+ hours of OT a week, then turning around and saying "no one is allowed more than 40 hours without (sr management) permission", literally the day they also told us "you have to work all weekend, you're pre-approved by (sr manager)". Fortunately they've since abandoned that policy and instated a much more reasonable one.

E: did we just hire a bunch of executive level people to fill newly created roles? Of course. Does their combined salary exceed that of all those prospective new hires that do all the final assembly for our one and only marketable product? I don't know, but it almost certainly does!

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 31, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

This is definitely a weird thing that happens.

I've been asked by more than one employer to obtain (potential employee with an unusual and useful set of characteristics), and then when I actually *did* that, they said "lol nah".
It wasn't even like the people I found had any major flaws, so ???

Just mysterious.
Especially because then, as you noted, *I* won't be willing to try again, and the people I found sure as poo poo won't be willing to try again.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
An e-mail went out about a big, mandatory, all-hands "Staff Appreciation Day" where hundreds of mostly unmasked employees will be packed into an auditorium in close-quarters all day.

A couple of policy e-mails followed that one: no more COVID-leave and no more COVID-testing for employees, beginning the day following Staff Appreciation Day. :thumbsup:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Covid is OVER. Anyone catching Covid will be punished for malingering.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

zedprime posted:

Its like I always say, you've never truly lived unless you've used a golf cart to chase a raccoon around on night shift at the uranium factory.

that sounds wild, and like something that actually fits my skillset. I'm in.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Atopian posted:

This is definitely a weird thing that happens.

I've been asked by more than one employer to obtain (potential employee with an unusual and useful set of characteristics), and then when I actually *did* that, they said "lol nah".
It wasn't even like the people I found had any major flaws, so ???

Just mysterious.
Especially because then, as you noted, *I* won't be willing to try again, and the people I found sure as poo poo won't be willing to try again.

My old boss reached out to me because another division at our parent company had asked him if he knew anyone who’d fit a role they didn’t want to go interviewing for, so since I hate my new job I immediately told him absolutely tell them I’ll do it and I’ll eat poo poo and take a 20% paycut for it, anything to get out of here.

They spent 2 months going back and forth with me to run down what they wanted and everything was locked in and now the position is frozen until after Christmas and they’ll call me, apparently.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

woke kaczynski posted:

Sorry to all the brewers in here but I love all that gimmicky sour poo poo and I wish the closest corner store would get the message that IPAs are over and sours are the new hotness

gently caress IPA. Everything is an IPA. Some breweries ONLY make IPAs. It's boring. I'm done with that poo poo.

Some douchebag 20 years ago tries his first non Budweiser and thinks to themself "huh, I guess bitter means flavor!"

Add on that poo poo that IPA is cheap as gently caress and easy to make and everyone just drowns themselves in the swill. Breweries fall over each other to make the latest 'me-too' double cum guzzler bitter batch XXL southwest IPA.

How about some regular pale ales? Ambers? Stouts? Porters? Pilsners? Lagers?

Ugh. And that reminds me. Sure, some breweries will come out with stouts but be loaded as gently caress with like 10% and you pay 12 bucks for a four pack.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

IPAs are good :cheersdoge:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Outrail posted:

Got approval to submit to the board a 15% cost of living increase for all staff. It's going to be approved. It's nice to know they support paying us a fair wage. The dumb poo poo is I'm pretty sure we can't afford it so it might be performative bullshit.

I have become the worst. Bullshit has washed over me and through me, only a useless manager remains.

our CEO made a huge deal about giving COL increases for everyone like 2 months ago and it finally came down two weeks ago— 42 cents. Thanks boss!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

star eater posted:

our CEO made a huge deal about giving COL increases for everyone like 2 months ago and it finally came down two weeks ago— 42 cents. Thanks boss!!

Yeah, that's gonna be me and the next day I'll have a field accident and I'll deserve it.

Also while I'm being the dumb poo poo I'll also admit I love hazy IPAs and I don't even care if they're not IPAs or even technically beer. Gimme that hoppy rotting fruit juice.