Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my ode and the v2 burrs in today! It's super quiet and fast which is one of the reasons I bought it. Putting in the new burrs is super easy with the guide that fellow has.

v1.1 burr left, v2 burr right. Obviously gonna play with it over the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If I use an electric impact driver on my JX-PRO, starting easy on the torque clutch, easy on the speed, and being careful to keep alignment, what are the risks? I assume misalignment if I tweak it, excess fines if I go too fast, anything else? Impact feature gives me a bit of pause, but clutch makes me feel safer about it.

E: huh, manufacturer says go for it. Neat. https://1zpresso.coffee/faq/

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 29, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can’t speak for all drivers but on mine the first couple steps are weaker than casual manual tightening so I’d feel safe about it

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

fknlo posted:

Got my ode and the v2 burrs in today! It's super quiet and fast which is one of the reasons I bought it. Putting in the new burrs is super easy with the guide that fellow has.

v1.1 burr left, v2 burr right. Obviously gonna play with it over the next few days.

Please let us know how you like it with the new burrs. I still use my old and tired Capresso for pour over/Clever, and it's probably time to upgrade.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have had a gaggia classic and now have a Bambino and I would never go back to the gaggia. The bambino is waaaaaaay more consistent. And it is tiny.

I agree it feels wrong liking a breville/sage espresso maker but it is a great machine for the price.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Spiggy posted:

Speaking of Silvias- I'm pretty sure I screwed up my pressure when adjusting my OPV a while back and want to unscrew it. Is there a place that sells 58mm portafilters with a pressure gauge on them or if there's a PF that doesn't suck to disassemble so I can make my own?

I bought a portafilter with a pressure gauge from Whole Latte Love when I suspected that the OPV on my Profitec Pro 300 was set too high. I hated dropping $50+ dollars on a thing I am only going to use a few times, but it did confirm my OPV setting suspicions (I was a bit over 10 bars) and dialing it back to around 8 bars has improved the flavor and consistency of my shots. Unfortunately, it looks like the gauge is out of stock at WLL right now, but I saw other shops with them when I googled "portafilter pressure gauge".

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

other people posted:

I have had a gaggia classic and now have a Bambino and I would never go back to the gaggia. The bambino is waaaaaaay more consistent. And it is tiny.

I agree it feels wrong liking a breville/sage espresso maker but it is a great machine for the price.

Did you PID or pressure mod your gaggia? From what I'm reading, the gaggia classic pro with pressure mod makes a really great espresso and the PID helps make it more consistent but probably isn't as necessary as the pressure mod.

I can't imagine that breville used different internals in the bambino than they did in their "appliances" like the barista express.

consensual poster posted:

I bought a portafilter with a pressure gauge from Whole Latte Love when I suspected that the OPV on my Profitec Pro 300 was set too high. I hated dropping $50+ dollars on a thing I am only going to use a few times, but it did confirm my OPV setting suspicions (I was a bit over 10 bars) and dialing it back to around 8 bars has improved the flavor and consistency of my shots. Unfortunately, it looks like the gauge is out of stock at WLL right now, but I saw other shops with them when I googled "portafilter pressure gauge".

I'm new to this but how do you know in that situation if you might just be overtamping vs the pressure being too high?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

Did you PID or pressure mod your gaggia? From what I'm reading, the gaggia classic pro with pressure mod makes a really great espresso and the PID helps make it more consistent but probably isn't as necessary as the pressure mod.

I can't imagine that breville used different internals in the bambino than they did in their "appliances" like the barista express.

I'm new to this but how do you know in that situation if you might just be overtamping vs the pressure being too high?

I don't have the PID mod but I can confirm about changing the pressure. The espresso so much better with the 9 bar mod.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I was able to hack a pressure gauge together for my Classic with Amazon stuff, the porta filter spout is a male 3/8 NPT so you just need a gauge and a coupler. The espresso was definitely less harsh after doing so.

I learned to temperature surf It for a while and got some pretty good results, but temp surfing is annoying. So I did the shades of coffee PID kit after that. I’m glad I did everything in that order, dialing things in one at a time is a lot easier.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Gaggia and the Brevilles come with pressurized and unpressurized baskets, so which basket you use will impact your output. Generally you want to use the unpressurized baskets if you have a good grinder, but it takes a lot more work and micromanaging to get the best results.

I think the Gaggia comes standard with a 12 bar spring, and swapping in a 9 bar spring does make a difference (with unpressurized baskets). I was able to do that without much trouble, but I'm not willing to do the PID mod myself.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bandire posted:

The Gaggia and the Brevilles come with pressurized and unpressurized baskets, so which basket you use will impact your output. Generally you want to use the unpressurized baskets if you have a good grinder, but it takes a lot more work and micromanaging to get the best results.

I think the Gaggia comes standard with a 12 bar spring, and swapping in a 9 bar spring does make a difference (with unpressurized baskets). I was able to do that without much trouble, but I'm not willing to do the PID mod myself.

I think it's something like 14-15 as default at least for the gaggia classic pro. Lol

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

VelociBacon posted:

No I did not do that. I just want a nice drink in the morning, not a bizarre project. :shrug:

The only modification I did was buy unpressurized baskets since I have a fancy grinder.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

I thought overtamping isn't a thing, since 9 bar does more "tamping" than you could possibly do yourself? That was received wisdom, which could be wrong but rough calculations show about 4 inch^2 area x 9 bar = 520 lbs of force.

Then again tamping is a dry force, so you could imagine setting up a structure that behaves differently under water pressure, but folks who threw science at it found no difference up to 40 lbs. There are older posts that just talk about problems with overtamping but don't have data to support. It also might have been an issue prior to modern WDT techniques?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I thought overtamping isn't a thing, since 9 bar does more "tamping" than you could possibly do yourself? That was received wisdom, which could be wrong but rough calculations show about 4 inch^2 area x 9 bar = 520 lbs of force.

Then again tamping is a dry force, so you could imagine setting up a structure that behaves differently under water pressure, but folks who threw science at it found no difference up to 40 lbs. There are older posts that just talk about problems with overtamping but don't have data to support. It also might have been an issue prior to modern WDT techniques?

I don't know about this stuff and I defer to the people who have been doing it for years and to the people completing good studies on this, but this seems like a Pascal's law situation. In my mind the tamping is a force in a specific direction to drive air out of the grounds, form a puck of homogenous density where the water pathways inform a no-best-path type of situation for optimal water pathing.

The pressure provided by the espresso machine via the water forced into the area should (as per Pascal) be distributed evenly to all sides of the basket as well as up back to the machine and basically back to the pressure reducing valve. Once the puck is saturated and a pressure equilibrium is reached with the water entering the basket being at the same rate as the water leaving the basket, lets say at that 9 bar, it doesn't in my mind force the grounds in any one direction - the flow of water should keep stuff down in the basket but I don't know that it's applying compressive force to the grounds in a particular direction.

Anyways kinda fun to think about, probably not that interesting. I guess I could pull a shot of barely-tamped (or just distributed) grounds and another with aggressively tamped grounds. I wonder tho if the ingress of water in the former would cause the grounds to "swell" more and appear less 'tamped' when you're looking at it afterwards.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

other people posted:

I just want a nice drink in the morning, not a bizarre project. :shrug:

:confused: Wait wait hangon I thought that was the point of home espresso?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thread opinion on buying used machines? This PID-modded ranicilio listed for 600 bucks Canadian (450 USD) comes with a couple portafilters including bottomless.

FB marketplace posted:

A Rancilio Silvia espresso machine with an Auber PID installed. The PID will maintain a precise brew temperature. The barista still needs to time the shots on their own. Used gently for several years before I upgraded. It now needs a good home. Comes with two portafilters including a bottomless one.

Guy might be flexible on the price and it would let me get a nicer grinder if I go used.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
$450 is almost suspiciously low for a Silvia with a PID, but at that price point I would definitely go check it out. That said, I've had my Silvia 4 years without issues and if something is busted you could probably find parts to fix it with a little elbow grease.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spiggy posted:

$450 is almost suspiciously low for a Silvia with a PID, but at that price point I would definitely go check it out. That said, I've had my Silvia 4 years without issues and if something is busted you could probably find parts to fix it with a little elbow grease.

This was kind of my understanding as well, but I wasn't sure how expensive the parts are. I'm very comfortable repairing things generally but don't want to buy a dud.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Another reason it's probably so cheap is that it's either a v1 or v2 Silvia so it's at least 13 years old. At that point I'd go with your gut if you meet this person on of you think they've taken good care of it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spiggy posted:

Another reason it's probably so cheap is that it's either a v1 or v2 Silvia so it's at least 13 years old. At that point I'd go with your gut if you meet this person on of you think they've taken good care of it.

That's a good point. I notice they're also selling this grinder that I can find basically no information about :

FB person posted:

A Nuova Simonelli MDUA dosing espresso grinder looking for a new home. This grinder is super sturdy and has new burrs on it (they were changed a few years ago and then barely used). Great grinder but a bit too much for my current needs.

Lots of information around for the other Nuova Simonelli variants (MDX, MDXS on demand, etc) but nothing for this MDUA. Anyone familiar?

I'm wondering if it's worth seeing if he'd take 800 for both the Silvia and the grinder. Seems like a decent deal but I would like to know the retail of that grinder first.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Thread opinion on buying used machines? This PID-modded ranicilio listed for 600 bucks Canadian (450 USD) comes with a couple portafilters including bottomless.

Guy might be flexible on the price and it would let me get a nicer grinder if I go used.

that’s a nice price. i’d want to pop the top off just to make sure the pid installation isn’t a shitshow, but if that looks workmanlike and it’s otherwise functioning properly, it’d be a good buy. silvias are built like tanks and there’s not much that can go wrong with a used one, and a pid solves the most frustrating problems with them

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That thing has been modded like crazy. It looks like a V1 drip tray, but that's not a V1 steam wand. I think the V1s did not have adjustable OPV valves, but that's certainly something else that could have been modded in. You'd probably want more detail on what all he's done to this Franken-Silvia.

Useful: https://www.schneordesign.com/diy/diy-coffee/rancilio-silvia-mega-mod-part1-intro/

Another thing to worry about is how well it was maintained and if it was regularly descaled. These things are pretty serviceable, but you could end up with some pretty scaled-over internals.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hypnophant posted:

that’s a nice price. i’d want to pop the top off just to make sure the pid installation isn’t a shitshow, but if that looks workmanlike and it’s otherwise functioning properly, it’d be a good buy. silvias are built like tanks and there’s not much that can go wrong with a used one, and a pid solves the most frustrating problems with them

Bandire posted:

That thing has been modded like crazy. It looks like a V1 drip tray, but that's not a V1 steam wand. I think the V1s did not have adjustable OPV valves, but that's certainly something else that could have been modded in. You'd probably want more detail on what all he's done to this Franken-Silvia.

Useful: https://www.schneordesign.com/diy/diy-coffee/rancilio-silvia-mega-mod-part1-intro/

Another thing to worry about is how well it was maintained and if it was regularly descaled. These things are pretty serviceable, but you could end up with some pretty scaled-over internals.

Thanks. I sent him a message asking about maybe other mods that have been done and I'm trying to get a feel for the guy overall. His FB profile is a lot of stuff about aeronautics and playing piano so probably he takes care of his stuff but who knows.

e: looks like it's a v2 with a v1 drip tray? Noting the badging is a v2+ style and the non-bottomless portafilter is the one from the pic below:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 30, 2022

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Not all the V1s had that badging. There's another comparison image in that link of a V1 that has the normal badge. Between the drip tray and steam knob, I'd think that's a later run V1. Also, that looks like a V3+ steam wand.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bandire posted:

Not all the V1s had that badging. There's another comparison image in that link of a V1 that has the normal badge. Also, that looks like a V3+ steam wand.

Actually now that you mention it the V1 group head is really unique and that's absolutely the group head on the one he's selling. How much of a deal breaker should I consider this to be if it has all the v1 internals (like no OPV)?

e: oh god found another one, $400 CAD. Looks like a v1 group head but the drip tray and the one stock handle look newer. Product ID tag I think says made in April 2007.

another fb person posted:

Completely serviced and pump replaced three years ago by Espressotec. Pulls a lovely shot. (Even does latte art). Includes two portafilters (bottomless and double), 58mm tamper and blind basket for backflushing.

I'm really sorry for making GBS threads up this thread but your advice is extremely helpful. I hope at least you can get some 2nd hand enjoyment from my shopping.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 30, 2022

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

VelociBacon posted:

Actually now that you mention it the V1 group head is really unique and that's absolutely the group head on the one he's selling. How much of a deal breaker should I consider this to be if it has all the v1 internals (like no OPV)?

If its really a V1, it could be 20+ years old. He may have swapped out half the internals to keep it running, so who knows how solid it is at this point.

Is this guy local? At a minimum I'd want him to fire it up and pull a shot or two before I'd consider buying it. Either way if it were me I'd probably pass, but I don't really enjoy tinkering with or repairing stuff like this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bandire posted:

If its really a V1, it could be 20+ years old. He may have swapped out half the internals to keep it running, so who knows how solid it is at this point.

Is this guy local? At a minimum I'd want him to fire it up and pull a shot or two before I'd consider buying it. Either way if it were me I'd probably pass, but I don't really enjoy tinkering with or repairing stuff like this.

Yes, local here in Vancouver. The $400 one I posted above is a short distance away (ferry ride) but I wouldn't really be able to test it at the ferry terminal (way too expensive to drive over, would be meeting the person at the ferries).

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I missed your edit. I think they started making the v2 in 2006, so that could be a v2.

These things can last forever if they are maintained, but I'm pretty leary personally with second hand gear. If he insists its still in good working order it probably just comes down to how risk averse you are. If it does work, that's a good price for a starting point to the espresso money pit.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

V1 is a round, dull metal group head with a gap in the front/top; V2+ is shiny chrome plastic that is straight on the sides (and won't stay nice for long), and you can easily swap a newer steam valve onto an older model. $400-450 is a great price, even without a PID; with a PID it's a steal. Have them shoot a video of it steaming while plugged into a GFCI outlet; if it doesn't trip you know the heating element is good, and that's the most expensive component on these machines. Heat-up time is another issue that's not as easy to eyeball; if there's a lot scale built up in the boiler that will suffer, but there's also no solution for that besides replacing the entire boiler/heating element (on a V1-3/4). It being a V1 in and of itself means nothing, these machines last many decades if properly cared for and the only concern with one around 20 years of age is that it might be ready for a new pump (which is like $25). A portafilter for one of these is like $80 so consider that if choosing based on price.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Wait, how paranoid should I be about a Silvia tripping a GFCI? mine never had any issues when I lived in a house, but when we moved into our current apartment it sets of the GFCI maybe 10% of the time when turning off the pump or unit itself. I attributed it to a cheap breaker but now I'm wondering if I'm a fire hazard.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bizwank posted:

V1 is a round, dull metal group head with a gap in the front/top; V2+ is shiny chrome plastic that is straight on the sides (and won't stay nice for long), and you can easily swap a newer steam valve onto an older model. $400-450 is a great price, even without a PID; with a PID it's a steal. Have them shoot a video of it steaming while plugged into a GFCI outlet; if it doesn't trip you know the heating element is good, and that's the most expensive component on these machines. Heat-up time is another issue that's not as easy to eyeball; if there's a lot scale built up in the boiler that will suffer, but there's also no solution for that besides replacing the entire boiler/heating element (on a V1-3/4). It being a V1 in and of itself means nothing, these machines last many decades if properly cared for and the only concern with one around 20 years of age is that it might be ready for a new pump (which is like $25). A portafilter for one of these is like $80 so consider that if choosing based on price.

Thanks for this.

I'm almost leaning more towards the $400 one that was 'completely serviced and pump replaced 3 years ago', by Espressotec, which is a (seemingly) very highly regarded sales/service place here in Vancouver. The owner seems believable and admits that they do use it 3-5 times daily. They are the original owners, bought it from Espressotec in 2007.

It comes with two portafilters (one bottomless) so I don't need to worry about buying another one. It also comes with a blind basket "for backflushing" which I think speaks to the person's interest in keeping good care of it. I feel bad because I already asked them to take a photo of the serial number but yeah I'll ask them to take a photo of it steaming while plugged into a gfci. Thanks thread!

How are the Rancilio Rocky doserless grinders? Seeing a lot of them pop up also for sale.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

How are the Rancilio Rocky doserless grinders? Seeing a lot of them pop up also for sale.

They work okay, but they do make a mess. I can’t recommend anything else because it’s worked well enough for me. There are many opinions on grinders, but they are heavy, the motor doesn’t show any sign of wear, and it’s been easy to maintain for 8 years.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
I'm looking for a coffee brewing solution for a situation that some of the folks in this thread may find familiar.

I am really into coffee. I love tinkering with things and enjoy the ritual/process of making the coffee almost as much as drinking it.
My partner loves the coffee I make. They also want to make good coffee as well. They're ... not so into the process. Particularly not first thing in the morning. Blooming, slow pours, just don't happen. Dump water from kettle, come back 5 minutes later. They also don't want an appliance sitting on the countertop. French press has been the go-to for a while but cleanup has been a frustration (I know, just rinse it).
So I'm after a dead simple, good coffee system that can be used without fussing around.

I think that describes the clever dripper, but I thought I'd ask the thread if there are other systems that do as well or better. If the clever, any tips? Specific models I should get?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Aeropress is also quick and easy, since the puck of coffee can just be popped out directly into the trash, requiring just a quick rinse afterward.

No matter what your brewer of choice, though, I'm assuming that the good coffee you're making is freshly ground. Is weighing and grinding a step your partner is willing to put up with? If not, you'll have to look into pregrinding a batch (after dialing it in for the brewer, of course), dosing it, and storing it in a way to maximize freshness.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

404notfound posted:

The Aeropress is also quick and easy, since the puck of coffee can just be popped out directly into the trash, requiring just a quick rinse afterward.

No matter what your brewer of choice, though, I'm assuming that the good coffee you're making is freshly ground. Is weighing and grinding a step your partner is willing to put up with? If not, you'll have to look into pregrinding a batch (after dialing it in for the brewer, of course), dosing it, and storing it in a way to maximize freshness.

Don’t pre grind, just pre-dose the grind to put in the grinder in the morning.

But yeah, clever would be my first choice, French press with the 10 minute method would be second, and aero press third.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Clever is great and it doesn't get much simpler while still producing a good cup. You could also go the other direction and spend many hundreds of dollars on a super auto espresso/latte machine if you are willing to do the cleaning and maintenance.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Wanderless posted:

I'm looking for a coffee brewing solution for a situation that some of the folks in this thread may find familiar.

I am really into coffee. I love tinkering with things and enjoy the ritual/process of making the coffee almost as much as drinking it.
My partner loves the coffee I make. They also want to make good coffee as well. They're ... not so into the process. Particularly not first thing in the morning. Blooming, slow pours, just don't happen. Dump water from kettle, come back 5 minutes later. They also don't want an appliance sitting on the countertop. French press has been the go-to for a while but cleanup has been a frustration (I know, just rinse it).
So I'm after a dead simple, good coffee system that can be used without fussing around.

I think that describes the clever dripper, but I thought I'd ask the thread if there are other systems that do as well or better. If the clever, any tips? Specific models I should get?

Can you get a drip brewer and put it away in a cabinet when it’s not being used? A drip brewer sounds like the best solution for your situation tbh

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

N’thing the clever. I neglected to get a good drip brewer before the birth of my kid and the clever got us through the worst of the sleep deprivation with good cups of coffee.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

N’thing the clever. I neglected to get a good drip brewer before the birth of my kid and the clever got us through the worst of the sleep deprivation with good cups of coffee.

The clever dripper is very good. I'll be back to using it once I get my other brewer packed up in the next week or two.

Still getting my ode with v2 burrs dialed in but the coffee is very good and I'm grinding way, way finer than my Encore was doing. Still adjusting down every time I grind as well. I was down to a 4 this morning and it feels like I might have a click or two to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I recently moved out. Find out my ex sold my espresso maker and Sage Precision brewer that she I had loaned her so yeah....that's great. At least I still have my coffee grinder
I'd like to get a new coffee maker, obviously, but I don't need such a large one anymore.

What are some good options for single use/person coffee makers these days? I'd rather not get a giant one as I just tend to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning unless it's my day off.

Also, are any of the ice coffee makers worth messing with these days or is Takeya overnight still the way to go with that stuff these days?

Thank you!!