Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is it technically riding a unicycle if you are holding onto something with two more wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

20 years ago this would have been a loving weird statement.

Why'd Fred need all that poison...

In case the TV remote or the garbage disposal or anything gets too unruly.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

McGavin posted:

I see we have a graduate from Bovine University in the thread.

Home of the Fightin' Mad Cows.

Moo, mother fuckers, moo!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You goons are gonna love this poo poo.

I had a new painter referred to me yesterday. He says "hey, these floors are all messed up, we can sand and varnish them for you for $1000". Sounds good I say. I come back when they're done, and I see they have an industrial floor sanding machine that is 220v. Except, I know for a fact there are no 220v outlets in the entire building. "Did you run an extension to a portable generator or something?" He says no, he ran an extension 300ft to the basement. "But the basement doesn't have 220v either". He says yeah, I have a special cable. I had to go check this out:

I am in awe of how dangerous, illegal, and dangerously illegal that was.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Zero VGS posted:

I had a new painter referred to me yesterday. He says "hey, these floors are all messed up, we can sand and varnish them for you for $1000". Sounds good I say. I come back when they're done, and I see they have an industrial floor sanding machine that is 220v. Except, I know for a fact there are no 220v outlets in the entire building. "Did you run an extension to a portable generator or something?" He says no, he ran an extension 300ft to the basement. "But the basement doesn't have 220v either". He says yeah, I have a special cable. I had to go check this out:

Lol

Lmao

This the best understanding the concepts but failing on execution I've seen. Like it works, but oh my God an commerical/industrial floor sanders running only on the house breaker.

Shorting 100A-200A at 220V would have been a sight to see. 22kW of oopsie daisy.

Edit: the electrical tape insulation is great too.

The longer I stare at this the worse it gets. Alligator clips that he's slapping onto live terminals, and the ground just goes to the box.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 30, 2022

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Zero VGS posted:

gently caress me that's some high level innovation in the OSHA space

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
So why did you lie and say you didn't have 220 when you clearly had it in the basement?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if it looks stupid, but it works, then-

...hey what is that smell?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Dare I even ask of the plug end had a Fuze?

Not that it matters, since that beautiful at least once repaired cord is going to be the short, but it's the thought that counts.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It hasn't been repaired, they're just using that trick where you wrap it in tape to make it look repaired so nobody steals it!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
That rules. It’s wildly unsafe but it rules anyway. There’s a way to make this much safer with an inline breaker that gets screwed into a basement joist (which also acts as strain relief), but no one’s gonna do that if they’re willing to do this lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

I mean, it ran from 1978-1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4OCLKnm8iU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lol I just looked close enough to realize he used alligator clips to the breaker box.

What you're supposed to do is get one of those double header 220v cords that you plug into the wall on two different circuits with different phases. They sell those on Amazon for charging your car and rubbing your dryer and it's even slightly better build quality than that thing.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

In case the TV remote or the garbage disposal or anything gets too unruly.
Planned obsolescence of household appliances is bullshit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

What you're supposed to do is get one of those double header 220v cords that you plug into the wall on two different circuits with different phases. They sell those on Amazon for charging your car and rubbing your dryer and it's even slightly better build quality than that thing.

I actually did tell him about that, though we'd need to ask a neighbor in another apt. My apartment has one single 15a breaker for the ENTIRE apartment. It's only 500sqft but still, I need to see how much it would be to have it upgraded, running wiring through a 120yr old brick complex.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/uecaiu/status/1564655714454454273

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I installed/finished hardwood floors for about 5 years out of high school and can honestly say that I have seen people do this, even 18 year old me knew it was incredibly stupid. It wasn't uncommon to accidentally run over the cord with the sander which would sometimes cut through all the insulation on the cord and cause sparks to fly. We carried various plugs so we could use the 220v from the dryer or stove or we would install our own breaker and use that directly. Worse case we used the double header but it was always kinda a pain.

Some sad OSHA was a boss of mine had bought all his sanding gear from an estate sale, the previous flooring guy died when the fumes from the finish were ignited by a pilot light in the basement.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

He even had an alligator clip for the ground, that's clearly a safe and well engineered setup. At 600V per wrap of vinyl electric tape that cord should be good for everything from 120 to 4kV lines.

Bondematt posted:

Lol

Lmao

This the best understanding the concepts but failing on execution I've seen. Like it works, but oh my God an commerical/industrial floor sanders running only on the house breaker.

Shorting 100A-200A at 220V would have been a sight to see. 22kW of oopsie daisy.

Edit: the electrical tape insulation is great too.

The longer I stare at this the worse it gets. Alligator clips that he's slapping onto live terminals, and the ground just goes to the box.

Instantaneous current for a direct fault is MUCH higher, it depends a lot on how much wiring is between your load and the transformer, but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a few thousand amps, with a possible maximum of about 20,000, and what's worse is the main breaker has a deliberately higher Instantaneous trip time and current than the branch circuit breakers, so you don't roll your chair over a lamp cord and lose power to your whole house, so you'll be able to get some real fireworks/plasmafied copper before you trip that, I'd bet money on the alligator clips burning open before the breaker trips.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Another fun flooring fact I just remembered! If you hit a nail while sanding the floor (happened all the time) the spark could make it's way into the dust bag and smolder there for hours before igniting the entire bag of super fine dust. I never saw it first hand but I heard stories of dust bags burning down homes or burning holes through the floor over night because the workers didn't empty it.

I worked for a guy who would get rid of the dust from the bags/vac by putting in it open trashcans in the back of the pickup and drive down the freeway. He was an rear end in a top hat.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Elviscat posted:

He even had an alligator clip for the ground, that's clearly a safe and well engineered setup. At 600V per wrap of vinyl electric tape that cord should be good for everything from 120 to 4kV lines.

Instantaneous current for a direct fault is MUCH higher, it depends a lot on how much wiring is between your load and the transformer, but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a few thousand amps, with a possible maximum of about 20,000, and what's worse is the main breaker has a deliberately higher Instantaneous trip time and current than the branch circuit breakers, so you don't roll your chair over a lamp cord and lose power to your whole house, so you'll be able to get some real fireworks/plasmafied copper before you trip that, I'd bet money on the alligator clips burning open before the breaker trips.

Depending on the upstream transformer size, impedance, wire size, grounding wire size, and the exact nature of the "oopsie", you can get ground faults on on the other of 10-25x the steady state amperage. The "10,000 amperes rms symmetrical" on the breakers in your box tell you the maximum fault current it can handle before the fault is too strong for that breaker to clear (usually the breaker explodes when that happens). It's why the REALLY big main breaker service panels have 200A breakers that cost 4x what a regular 200A breaker would, they're generally rated for 40k or 50k amps rms.

You can play around with https://tools.se.app/faultcalc/FaultCalc.html if you wanna see how big a number you can generate. Regular residential pad mount transformer to a 200A panel can see a fault current north of 20k amps for however long it takes the upstream fuses to pop.

Calculating how horrific the arc flash from that would be is a much more complicated set of formulas, but a bad fault using industrial power runs the gamut from 'badly burned', to 'died of spontaneous plasma assisted skin removal' to 'a shadow on the wall and steaming clumps of ashes'.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Zero VGS posted:

So uh did you tell him to unplug that and gtfo?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

:negative: The trombone was right there.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

zedprime posted:

Planned obsolescence of household appliances is bullshit.

They knew what they were signing up for when they said "it's a living!"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7136268762537397510

Keep it out of California

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Didn't know tesla started making trains

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So uh did you tell him to unplug that and gtfo?

Did you misread? Sand and varnish for $1000.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Marcade posted:

That's an enormous crush and likely too large for most set-ups. May be required for a bull of that size but certainly not necessary for dairy cattle. And yes, you want to restrain the hooves well because if they move on you you could very easily cut into living tissue/corium and that's a bad time for all involved.

(my "pre-vet" college classes at a mostly rancher school weren't completely pointless, maybe?)

Yeah corium is bad news.

The prescribed tool for dealing with corium is an AK‐47.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

raggedphoto posted:

I worked for a guy who would get rid of the dust from the bags/vac by putting in it open trashcans in the back of the pickup and drive down the freeway. He was an rear end in a top hat.
Oh no. And all the dust blew out of the cans onto people following him???

Yesterday I saw a truck drive past with some petrol cans in the back. A yellow one for diesel, a red one for petrol, and a second red one with “diesel” written on it.

But that’s not the fun part: despite the lids being on the cans they were spluttering and throwing out splashes of diesel as he drove and the cans were covered with spilled diesel. I wasn’t able to find a way to get them to notice me and stop, but I wish him luck in his future endeavours.

:piss:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/btLzzKP.mp4

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

piL posted:

Did you misread? Sand and varnish for $1000.

In this economy??

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

noooooooope

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mobby_6kl posted:

Even the cow tipping jobs are being automated away

https://i.imgur.com/GITKxfM.mp4

This thrills the cow.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

sigher posted:

This thrills the cow.
It has to feel pretty good to have your hooves cared for, right?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

ReelBigLizard posted:

Why'd Fred need all that poison...

lots of rodents of unusual size back then

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

PetraCore posted:

It has to feel pretty good to have your hooves cared for, right?

Probably feels like getting splinters and dirt out from under your fingernails.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s a cow mani-pedi right there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpjCQD8ynZE

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Marcade posted:

Home of the Fightin' Mad Cows.

Moo, mother fuckers, moo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXnJqYwebF8

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

McGavin posted:

I see we have a graduate from Bovine University in the thread.

Cowledge

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess what threw me was that it looks like the restraints disengage on their own which stuck in my mind as meaning that they MUST engage similarly.

Considering how placidly the bull took the whole process, it makes sense that the restraints are done manually and mostly just to prevent a leg from moving 2 Fast 2 Furious while you have a sharp knife in your hand.

Some have hydraulic controls. I think the one in the video with the big bull does as well, you see the operator kick at one of the legs, I think it's to nudge it in position for the clamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkcAcbwNGQ

I don't think it's automatic though, the operator in this video appears to look at the remote to reposition for the next clamp each time he does a different leg. It could definitely be linked in with "is cow tipper 90% upright and rising? -> release all legs", but it could also be the operator doing it.

That said most of the ones on youtube seemed to be just a chain you'd apply and remove manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/ParkerBranton/status/1564753140771160065