Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I remember when someone told me about the "send a junior senator to the floor every 3 days to tell the clerk we're all totally here" kind of recess not recess it blew my mind lol

just top tier rules manipulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

I remember when someone told me about the "send a junior senator to the floor every 3 days to tell the clerk we're all totally here" kind of recess not recess it blew my mind lol

just top tier rules manipulation

I mean, it makes sense. when that part of the constitution was written when it would take weeks to recall a national legislative body. now you can do it in under 24 hours if push comes to shove.

if someone has to be volunteered to hang out in the senate chamber and do some donor calls at their desk for an hour every work day then they’d do it. the main bipartisan thing from senators is the power of the senate and individual senator

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also wouldn't it have only delayed the result we got by a year

Recess appointments are yeah short term.
It's just funny that Republicans only need to threaten to maybe exploit the system to halt the dems from doing anything.
Hell, they haven't even had to threaten to filibuster like they did in the obama admin, just by existing and having tools available it cows the dems.

It's obviously because they're all on the same team, and the democrats don't really care if the GOP wins at everything, but the narrative is just so incoherent about why we should vote for or expect anything from blue team.

Like Pelosi is supposedly a wizard of procedurals and that's why she needs to be speaker, but she can't even whip her own caucus and hasn't stopped the Republicans from doing anything since 08.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
like idk maybe if I thought DEMOCRACY WAS AT STAKE I would make the bad guys actually park a dude on the senate floor and if he ever went to the bathroom call a vote and bar the door.
Hell, have a staffer loving drag him out of the room, if you're actually scared about society

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, it makes sense. when that part of the constitution was written when it would take weeks to recall a national legislative body. now you can do it in under 24 hours if push comes to shove.

if someone has to be volunteered to hang out in the senate chamber and do some donor calls at their desk for an hour every work day then they’d do it. the main bipartisan thing from senators is the power of the senate and individual senator

Sure i get why its a rule then and all I just love the current version of the magic 45 second script, making the clerk read the letter from the pro tem, all that. It's very "legal fiction" i guess? idk. Somebody thought of it and it's impressive

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

have President Camacho loving drag him out of the room, if you're actually scared about society

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ex post facho posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/stat...ingawful.com%2F

oh so by refusing to give Garland a hearing that was all fine?

even when it comes to decorum dems bend over backwards to let Republicans gently caress them

Cocaine Mitch is polite when he does things the democrats claim they opppose.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah thats another thing. Couldn't the minority party send their own junior to a pro tem session to demand a headcount before reading the pro tem's letter? Any senator's allowed to. If nothing else, it'd be a funnier c-span clip woth everyone in the room trying to talk as fast as possible to defeat each other

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

that wouldn’t have worked because the modern senate is never formally in recess and that kind of technicality is important to senators and the court

It would be a 5-4 Democrat appointed court deciding it though

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Thoguh posted:

Barrett is completely legitimate and completely the fault of the hubris of Ginsberg.

Kavenaugh's spot is legitimate, but he isn't. He's openly compromised and owned and they also openly refused to do basic background checks on him because of how bad it is.

Gorsuch's spot was blatantly stolen, but on the other hand Obama just let them do it so I guess you could argue either way on that one.

No matter how you slice it though the court itself is illegitimate and the fact that Biden disagrees with that is a key factor in why the democrats will be destroyed in 2022.

Charitably he's setting the stage for dems to expand the court and pack it as well. "Legitimately" packing it means following the laws to pack the court and a big argument I hear from dems against expanding and packing is that they don't want dems to fire the first shot doing so.

I do concede this might be way too charitable here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

It would be a 5-4 Democrat appointed court deciding it though

so a 9-0 for decorum

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

if I were brandon I'd simply add 60 justices during a senate recess

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
all three of the Trump justices are illegitimate bc he straight up asked for and received foreign help in the election & he was an illegitimate president

all of them should be removed from the court lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/itsJeffTiedrich/status/1564614011877998593

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

all three of the Trump justices are illegitimate bc he straight up asked for and received foreign help in the election & he was an illegitimate president

lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

that's prob the best photo of dear leader that i've ever seen

what a handsome man god

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

yellowD posted:

if I were brandon I'd simply add 60 justices during a senate recess

Nice

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The south won the Civil War and they would win Civil War 2: States Righter

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I mean maybe don't?

Wars are not extremely rad to be in the middle of, especially not a war with millions of fronts like this one

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean maybe don't?

Wars are not extremely rad to be in the middle of, especially not a war with millions of fronts like this one

pffffffft look at this coward

you forgot the most important rule of cspam: :killing:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean maybe don't?

otoh sometimes being in the middle of a war is :krad:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

so a 9-0 for decorum

Well yeah that's the issue they didn't really want to oppose the theft of a seat and the conservative takeover of the courts, they weren't powerless that was just the excuse for not doing anything.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

Well yeah that's the issue they didn't really want to oppose the theft of a seat and the conservative takeover of the courts, they weren't powerless that was just the excuse for not doing anything.

what could have Obama done? If he tried to seat Garland, Roberts wouldn't have allowed it.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Shrecknet posted:

what has five years of being a "first!!one!" poster epically owning Trump gotten Jeff Teidrich? like is there money in being a shitlib or is he really just doing it for the love of the game?

https://www.patreon.com/jefftiedrich

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
people itt getting mad that Jeff Tiedrich is funnier than them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

what could have Obama done? If he tried to seat Garland, Roberts wouldn't have allowed it.

Roberts would be in the minority with Garland on the court, it wouldn't be up to him.

It wouldn't be very decorous for Garland to rule on his own appointment or for the liberal justices to vote on party lines, but neither was refusing to let a Democrat appoint anyone or for that matter neither was Bush v Gore

What it came down to was one party was willing to shamelessly use all power available to them to take over and one party wasn't and welp

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

everyone knows the real civil war is goi g to happen when 60% of the country suddenly loses access to fresh water and they declare war on the upper Midwest.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Roberts would be in the minority with Garland on the court, it wouldn't be up to him.

It wouldn't be very decorous for Garland to rule on his own appointment or for the liberal justices to vote on party lines, but neither was refusing to let a Democrat appoint anyone or for that matter neither was Bush v Gore

What it came down to was one party was willing to shamelessly use all power available to them to take over and one party wasn't and welp

At the end of the day, Republicans use the rules to satisfy their base and Democrats use the rules to disappoint their base. Everything works as intended.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

like idk maybe if I thought DEMOCRACY WAS AT STAKE I would make the bad guys actually park a dude on the senate floor and if he ever went to the bathroom call a vote and bar the door.
Hell, have a staffer loving drag him out of the room, if you're actually scared about society

passing laws is rude

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this is so cringe

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

biceps crimes posted:

this is so cringe

the cringe got a little out of control and filled up the biosphere collapse thread so i did what any responsible person would do and just let it drain out all over everything

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Don't post your tweets

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

look here jack

palindrome has issued a correction as of 10:38 on Sep 5, 2022

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
why is everyone so jealous of Jeff Tiedrich? is it because he's single-handedly going to carry the Dems across the finish line to retain the House in November?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

why is everyone so jealous of Jeff Tiedrich? is it because he's single-handedly going to carry the Dems across the finish line to retain the House in November?

Yes.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jeff is that you?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

You are reik levels of poo poo

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Who cares about the Supreme Court? It was never legitimate to begin with (since Marbury v. Madison was Marshall giving himself broad powers unilaterally) so it's not like there's any semblance of legitimacy it ever had.

MLSM posted:

You are reik levels of poo poo

Now, now - Reik at least has the creepy stalker energy with that Paul Soccer subreddit thing.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
lol the Democrat won the at-large seat in Alaska against Sarah Palin

ranked choice ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wish I had a nice webpage like him