Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can see a whole new line of excuses developing once we are a nation on electrically charged wheels. “Sorry, boss. Didn’t have my charger fully engaged last night. Car wouldn’t start.”

surely no one in the history of capitalism has ever excused being late to work because their internal combustion engine car did not start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

car unreliable so what

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"show me, send me pics of your car battery level NOW"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shared public goods are dead

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Old man yells at electrics

this guy lives in athens ga which has free public transit? and he, and his lovely wife lisa, drive two cars 3 miles to see their son because he can't wait for her to do her hair

i hope a 2023 chevy silverado runs over my head and i'm finally smart enough to be a writer and afford two cars
Did you know that in Alaska the sun barely sets in the summertime?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

roads are essential for car companies to turn a profit.

in some places, certain roads are run by private corporations and are guaranteed revenue by the government.

the Turkish government guarantees an average daily toll revenue of $1.52 M for the Osmangazi Bridge for a period of 22 years under the build–operate–transfer model:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build%96operate%96transfer

any shortfalls are to be paid from the Turkish treasury to the operating company, which is owned by Nurol Holding. among Nurol Holding’s other companies is FNSS Defense Systems, which is owned 49% by BAE Systems Inc., the American subsidiary of BAE Systems plc.

everything sucks lmao

italy built the entirety of its highway network as a public infrastructure then in the 90s auctioned control of it off to 2 companies which have been reaping enormous profits ever since. they knew what they were doing because the terms of the contract were made secret, which in itself, rofl.
Then 5 years ago a bridge collapsed due to lack of maintenance. instead of severing the contract regulating concession to the operator, our state bought the managing company back, to the tune of €9bn or so and is now responsible for paying for all the maintenance the private operator didnt do as well.

lmfao

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kicked Throat posted:

this guy lives in athens ga which has free public transit? and he, and his lovely wife lisa, drive two cars 3 miles to see their son because he can't wait for her to do her hair

i hope a 2023 chevy silverado runs over my head and i'm finally smart enough to be a writer and afford two cars
Did you know that in Alaska the sun barely sets in the summertime?

He lives in Bishop GA, which has no public amenities. That whole county (Oconee) is a suburban drain on Athens and Atlanta.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mortons stork posted:

too bad you can see gentrification eating the city from inside. there's a metastasis of glass and steel spreading throughout. i know you can't exactly expect a city that was razed to the ground to keep its historical character intact but c'mon man

gross, that sucks. last i was there was 2010 and it was mostly brick. i really liked east berlin the most. oh well

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Americans will bankrupt themselves putting $10/gallon gas into their truck before they ever let themselves be seen on a train or bus
and yes that's probably true. even free transit in america would barely nudge ridership by itself

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Just parking my construction vehicle at an address that's not the active construction site, what the hell is a pedestrian?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

:hmmyes:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mortons stork posted:

italy

lack of maintenance

now responsible for paying for all the maintenance the private operator didnt do as well.

lmfao

tangential to cars but this post reminded me of France’s ongoing nationalization of its nuclear energy utility, and I wondered (rather, assumed) if this would be the case for that as well.

reading between the lines on what i could find in 5 min I’m almost certain it is indeed the case.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/edf-reports-1-3-billion-loss-as-france-prepares-nationalization-1.1798077.amp.html

quote:

EDF Reports $1.3 Billion Loss as France Prepares Nationalization
A logo in the window of the Electricite de France SA smartside campus in Saint Ouen, France, on Friday, July 8, 2022. The French government will nationalize its financially struggling nuclear giant Electricite de France SA to help it ride out Europe’s worst energy crisis in a generation and invest in new atomic plants. Photographer: Nathan Laine/Bloomberg , Bloomberg
A logo in the window of the Electricite de France SA smartside campus in Saint Ouen, France, on Friday, July 8, 2022. The French government will nationalize its financially struggling nuclear giant Electricite de France SA to help it ride out Europe’s worst energy crisis in a generation and invest in new atomic plants. Photographer: Nathan Laine/Bloomberg
(Bloomberg) -- Electricite de France SA reported a historic loss for the first half of 2022 as it suffered a slump in nuclear output in the midst of a severe European energy crisis.

EDF’s dire performance comes as the French government prepares for a full nationalization of the utility, buying back the 16% of shares it doesn’t already own by the end of October. The move is intended to streamline decision making and allow the company to invest in new atomic plants, helping secure French energy supplies.

“The results for the first half of the year reflect the difficulties encountered in nuclear generation in France” and a government-imposed electricity price cap, EDF Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jean-Bernard Levy said in a statement on Thursday.

EDF swung to an adjusted net loss of 1.31 billion euros ($1.34 billion) in the first half, compared with adjusted net income of 3.74 billion euros a year earlier, the Paris-based company said in the statement.

The planned nationalization comes after years of poor performance and a government-imposed price cap made EDF’s debt burden look increasingly unsustainable. The utility’s existing reactors are suffering from worsening reliability, forcing it to buy back its production shortfall amid sky-rocketing market prices, while the construction of new facilities has been stymied by delays and cost overruns.

EDF’s net financial debt rose to 42.8 billion euros at the end of June from 41 billion euros a year earlier. The increase would have been larger but for a favorable change in the working capital requirement of 6.8 billion euros and a 3.1 billion-euro capital increase.

The company’s atomic output of 361 terawatt-hours accounted for 69% of France’s electricity production in 2021, but is set to fall to the lowest in more than three decades this year and won’t fully recover in 2023. That’s because of checks and repairs on small cracks in key pipes at a dozen reactors, combined with regular maintenance and refueling halts at other units.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

vyelkin posted:

i read recently that kansas city made transit free and not only did it boost ridership a lot and unlock the city for poor people and alleviate some strain on poor people's everyday budgets, it also made transit safer (both objectively, number of incidents went down, and subjectively, people felt safer riding) because the vast majority of safety incidents arose from people being unable to pay fares

this and also having higher ridership promotes safety in and of itself because there are other people around to look out for you and call for help/intervene if something bad happens. having more people on the platform/in the train car or bus and good lighting can really do a lot to make transit feel safer.

Apr 7, 2003

mortons stork posted:

italy built the entirety of its highway network as a public infrastructure then in the 90s auctioned control of it off to 2 companies which have been reaping enormous profits ever since. they knew what they were doing because the terms of the contract were made secret, which in itself, rofl.
Then 5 years ago a bridge collapsed due to lack of maintenance. instead of severing the contract regulating concession to the operator, our state bought the managing company back, to the tune of €9bn or so and is now responsible for paying for all the maintenance the private operator didnt do as well.

lmfao

Mama mia!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
real life counterpoint to the libertarian roads meme, christ.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hate cars. if you're a car and you're reading this, gently caress YOU!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

tangential to cars but this post reminded me of France’s ongoing nationalization of its nuclear energy utility, and I wondered (rather, assumed) if this would be the case for that as well.

reading between the lines on what i could find in 5 min I’m almost certain it is indeed the case.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/edf-reports-1-3-billion-loss-as-france-prepares-nationalization-1.1798077.amp.html

christ lol
neoliberalism is basically vikings looting and pillaging. not even a polite veneer on it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

Just parking my construction vehicle at an address that's not the active construction site, what the hell is a pedestrian?

We're now taking active measures to force you nerds to touch grass

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mystes posted:

Actually since it's probably summer vacation type trips it may not even be meaningful unless you compare it to other years (there's probably seasonality)

That's exactly what the graph is. It's the percent change comparing 2022 to 2019.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

some plague rats posted:

We're now taking active measures to force you nerds to touch grass

i refuse.

there are spiderwebs between those trees.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is good and should be encouraged. If you drive, you deserve to be shot at by other drivers, and non-drivers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol az gonna have a rampage through AI if he ever connects the dots that tearing around in a murder machine is, in fact, violence. normalized violence is still violence, you're just used to it.

this is very much a "man bites dog" thing - threatening counter-violence shocks you because the constant mulching of people by car is so one-sided that it barely even registers.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

lol az gonna have a rampage through AI if he ever connects the dots that tearing around in a murder machine is, in fact, violence. normalized violence is still violence, you're just used to it.

this is very much a "man bites dog" thing - threatening counter-violence shocks you because the constant mulching of people by car is so one-sided that it barely even registers.

Harik... Harik, shut the gently caress up, please,

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It would be good to have a thread about public transport and ways to improve it, and the stupid obsession with single occupant vehicles that overrides every sensible bit of town planning, and poo poo like that, without losers making awful cringe posts about "if you drive a car I should be allowed to SHOOT you with a GUN" and then some other dork showing up to push his glasses up his nose and say some gay poo poo like "you see he's actually epistimologically correct, because"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Lib and let die posted:

But "you can't see anything out the windows of these new cars there's so much dead space in the frame so they can collapse and get totalled and then they force you to buy a new one!"

He's absolutely right about visibility, you can't see poo poo out of a modern car and every model year gets worse.

there's a cost to prioritizing protecting the driver and it's more accidents and more fatalities.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harik posted:

Consider a Snickers brand candy bar friend, you're not yourself when you're hungry

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

i think its really a lot more bus hatred than trains. i hear a lot of people wishing for more light rail, more commuter rail etc, but turn their nose up at taking the bus because i guess the bus is strictly for poor people.

i guess the vision is to drive to the train station or something, very stpuid.

it's because in most places the bus is strictly worse than a car. poor frequencies mean you have to learn a timetable, it's stuck in the same traffic as all the other cars and it stops all the time so it's slower. oh and most bus shelters are miserable places to wait for a bus.
it doesn't have to be this way obviously, there are things called 'bus lanes' and running a bus more than once every hour or so or building nice little buildings for people waiting. I think when people want 'light rail' they really mean they want all this good stuff they don't care if the bus has metal or rubber wheels

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

some plague rats posted:

It would be good to have a thread about public transport and ways to improve it, and the stupid obsession with single occupant vehicles that overrides every sensible bit of town planning, and poo poo like that, without losers making awful cringe posts about "if you drive a car I should be allowed to SHOOT you with a GUN" and then some other dork showing up to push his glasses up his nose and say some gay poo poo like "you see he's actually epistimologically correct, because"

A joke about AI being carbrain and carbrain being violence is not endorsing shooting people for driving, rats. ate poo poo earned his month off, and for the same reason TFR turbo-shits on people jerking themselves off over how they're gonna "self defense" someone into the ground.

E:

Epic High Five posted:

Consider a Snickers brand candy bar friend, you're not yourself when you're hungry
Was there a tiny toes situation I missed? I haven't been paying much attention to the forums for a few days but everyone's on serious edge all the sudden.

Harik has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Aug 30, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harik posted:

A joke about AI being carbrain and carbrain being violence is not endorsing shooting people for driving, rats. ate poo poo earned his month off, and for the same reason TFR turbo-shits on people jerking themselves off over how they're gonna "self defense" someone into the ground.

E:

Was there a tiny toes situation I missed? I haven't been paying much attention to the forums for a few days but everyone's on serious edge all the sudden.

Not that I've been made aware of, just not really a good thread for bloodlust posting if there are any. This is a place of love (for bollards and trains)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Epic High Five posted:

Not that I've been made aware of, just not really a good thread for bloodlust posting if there are any. This is a place of love (for bollards and trains)

Not sure if I posed this already but

For reference, here's an average completely normal and non-violent car interaction, illustrated. My friend's bedroom, at night. Drunk driver went completely through it, nothing left. Had they been asleep at the time I'd have been at their funerals. This is after the guardrail, a couple trees and a power pole. All designed to break-away to keep the driver safe, hurray!

Driver fled the scene to sober up, no charges.

We need more bollards in our neighborhoods

E: I went to check to see if I posed this already (I hadn't posted the picture but did describe the incident) and found this, a year ago. We'd mock writers for this kind of hammer-to-the-face forshadowing lol.

Harik posted:

lobster shirt posted:

lol poo poo like this makes me want to install bollards all around my house

funny because it's illegal to do that because your soft-framed wooden house might save a driver and a bollard could kill them.

also why you have to have those breakaway mailboxes instead of nice brick ones and they cut down all the trees on tree-lined roads

Harik has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Aug 31, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

Harik posted:

Not sure if I posed this already but

For reference, here's an average completely normal and non-violent car interaction, illustrated. My friend's bedroom, at night. Drunk driver went completely through it, nothing left. Had they been asleep at the time I'd have been at their funerals. This is after the guardrail, a couple trees and a power pole. All designed to break-away to keep the driver safe, hurray!

Driver fled the scene to sober up, no charges.

We need more bollards in our neighborhoods

Maybe the old body-on-frame cars that pulped the occupants on impact weren’t a bad idea

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

some plague rats posted:

That's what I intend my "I love trains" thread to be! I don't have a ton to post myself, just a cool brt project. Please, post about transportation improvements there, I'd love it :)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

You forgot the crucial part that divides a joke from a sincere endorsement which is to make it funny, hence the confusion

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

This is after the guardrail, a couple trees and a power pole. All designed to break-away to keep the driver safe, hurray!

Wait where do you live that trees and power poles are designed to break away to keep drivers safe? How the hell do you design that??

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

some plague rats posted:

Wait where do you live that trees and power poles are designed to break away to keep drivers safe? How the hell do you design that??

Trees they cut down if they're too big for a car to safely crash into. Wooden power poles are small enough they splinter when hit but those big steel & concrete ones are mounted to their foundation with sheer bolts so the bottom goes out from under them if a car hits. Any structure within X feet of a road (like say a bus shelter?) must also be breakaway. obviously anyone in a bus shelter has no value to society anyway, not like a good car driver.

nothing near a road is allowed to pose a risk to car except other car.

Next time you're risking your life on a sidewalk (outside a car, to be clear. it's not obvious to every driver!) take note of how many things are bolted down near stroadways instead of having structural support sunk in concrete.

Harik has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Aug 31, 2022

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
theres like 3 intersections in my 'hood that almost never have all the intended traffic light poles because they get mowed down by cars so often.

accidents happen n poo poo but lmao when all the driving is so bad the DPW cant keep up with traffic lights

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
tired: inventing a time travel machine to stop baby hitler

wired: inventing a time machine to stop baby henry ford and baby robert moses

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Drivers keep taking out power poles around here, but sometimes they're still kind of standing afterward so they just put in a new one and leave the old one, leaving a lovely broken pole mess on the sidewalk.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

Trees they cut down if they're too big for a car to safely crash into. Wooden power poles are small enough they splinter when hit but those big steel & concrete ones are mounted to their foundation with sheer bolts so the bottom goes out from under them if a car hits. Any structure within X feet of a road (like say a bus shelter?) must also be breakaway. obviously anyone in a bus shelter has no value to society anyway, not like a good car driver.

This is an insane approach to public works! Over here we have massive trees lining roads everywhere and power poles are solid concrete and sunk into the ground. I've been called to a bunch of car/pole impacts and every time the car loses, badly. having the poles break away is a bigger hazard! You're dropping live wires onto the loving street!! jesus christ!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Drivers keep taking out power poles around here, but sometimes they're still kind of standing afterward so they just put in a new one and leave the old one, leaving a lovely broken pole mess on the sidewalk.

lol nice. Nick it for firewood. Just make sure you don't breathe the smoke

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

some plague rats posted:

agreed, this is a thread for celebration of the glorious stalin trains and european bollards

america is very bad, and as glenn would say, america is addicted to fatdriving. transit is marginally passable here in california but one thing that sucks is we got a lot of sexual harassment/assault problems which is cool if someone is a smelly goony guy, but pretty bad if that someone has big titties and marginally attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i had to drive my car today and it was bad