Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RDevz posted:

Alternatively, you get poo poo like this, thanks to Croydon Council:

If you cross the red bit of tarmac in a car or motorbike without having the appropriate permit, you get a fine. Croydon is currently averaging 381 fines a week for this one LTN, raising over £4 million in revenue for the council. Given how bankrupt Croydon is, this isn't a wholly terrible thing.

Urgh, god they have a tiny bit of bus lane on the entrance to cannon park roundabout that's like that, and the worst bit is that you can turn left onto the road and the bus lane is not clearly marked so if you don't already know there's a bus lane right on your left and you actually have to go into the middle lane you're going to get dinged, it says camera controlled so I assume they also fine people for it.

The whole thing can't be more than a hundred fifty yards long.

Guavanaut posted:

This is Leicester's one.

Works better than the fully pedestrianized ones imo, because there's one side that's a bit cafe and another that's walkable without it being either dodging traffic like before or impromptu dance crews/fire jugglers/shouty scripture people like the square or clock tower.

Boro center does in theory have bollards that can retract but I've never seen them do it, all the shops have rear courtyards accessible from nearby roads or if you're the cleveland center it has an entire road upstairs inside the building with loading bays for everything. Quite cool and I never knew it was there til I did work there.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Moving tribute…

https://twitter.com/TimmyMallett/status/1564726296915083266

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
send timmy to ukraine, get this sorted out

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I mean the CIA created the Taliban, right?

Ehh, kinda-sorta. It's more accurate to say that they created a state of warlordism so brutal and chaotic that the southern clerics who created the Taliban could (with Pakistani support) form a moderately popular insurgency against it.

Then they did it again in 2002 after effectively destroying the first Taliban as a military/political force.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

OwlFancier posted:

Urgh, god they have a tiny bit of bus lane on the entrance to cannon park roundabout that's like that, and the worst bit is that you can turn left onto the road and the bus lane is not clearly marked so if you don't already know there's a bus lane right on your left and you actually have to go into the middle lane you're going to get dinged, it says camera controlled so I assume they also fine people for it.

The whole thing can't be more than a hundred fifty yards long.

The entire restricted bit of road on Parsons Mead in Croydon is about 3 meters long - I think it's designed to stop people from rat-running around the convoluted and traffic jammed mess that is Croydon town center.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest something normal like speed bumps and a slalom but I guess that doesn't bring in the cash.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

Is there a women's darts?

Hope a trans woman wins that next.

darts players are like discworld dwarves, outsiders can't tell

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Boro center does in theory have bollards that can retract but I've never seen them do it, all the shops have rear courtyards accessible from nearby roads or if you're the cleveland center it has an entire road upstairs inside the building with loading bays for everything. Quite cool and I never knew it was there til I did work there.
I've seen them down when on early shifts. That area is far too medieval* for either of those fancy things, so they open it up during loading hours, then close it for daytime hours unless you have a pass.

*in the literal sense, it's right round the corner from this late** medieval orb and cross

**in both senses now

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
BUNGLING

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
like at least go for clumsy or cack-handed crane operator

or oval office-of-a

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
it was a pretty low effort statue to be fair

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Guavanaut posted:

I've seen them down when on early shifts. That area is far too medieval* for either of those fancy things, so they open it up during loading hours, then close it for daytime hours unless you have a pass.

*in the literal sense, it's right round the corner from this late** medieval orb and cross

**in both senses now

There's another Before photo further down in the article

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's an LTN around our way. All the people living on the roads that haven't been LTN'd are upset cause their air quality has dropped, the business owners on the LTN'd roads are upset because their footfall has cratered, the only people who are happy about their road getting LTN'd are the ones who live on the same quiet residential road as our local councillor.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Saw this amazing man chatting up some old ladies outside St Pancras today.

He was spilling anecdote after anecdote about his life. He once got punched in the stomach by a policeman at Bank Station (asked why, he said 'the last train had gone' as if that explained it). He once got given two free backstage passes to either a Pink Floyd concert or just David Gilmour, unclear. He once woke up in the middle of a roundabout. And on and on. To be fair they seemed fascinated, but maybe it was just the light bouncing off the many, many shiny badges he had attached to his hat.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I feel like you may have found a wizard

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The image is giving me weird sense of deja vu for some reason, seems familiar but I have no idea why.

Perhaps this is a Type Of Guy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's definitely a type of guy yeah.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AveryOfBirds/status/1564721356440104960
bellissimo :discourse:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1365776812425420800

:hmmyes:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

The image is giving me weird sense of deja vu for some reason, seems familiar but I have no idea why.

Perhaps this is a Type Of Guy.

A friend told stories of one in Norwich.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

One of the fascinating things about Lovecraft is that in the final decade of his life he started to undergo a process of reexamining - and in some cases overtly rejecting - some of his former views on politics, race, etc. Sadly he'd pretty much stopped writing by then, crippled by self-doubt and poverty, so only the very beginnings of that process are visible in a couple of his stories. He also never completed the process, because he died of bowel cancer in 1937.

Rowling, on the other hand, will never stop to self-examine for a single second. Literally lower than HPL.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/pk_kenzie/status/1564630291301298180?t=fYZZ6y5L5DTzRxaRNTmphw&s=19

I like that the replies to the original tweet here are just listing series that are basically Harry Potter but better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is she just going to keep writing books until she gets one big enough to collapse into a black hole?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Type of guy chat:

I know 3 men who look like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Type of guy chat:

I know 3 men who look like that.

I think I canvassed with one in 2019 tbh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A little light in our darkest hour maybe? Not sure how it will impact on the UK but I think there must be some impact. Thanks to Europe :D

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/30/wholesale-gas-prices-tumble-as-europe-prepares-to-intervene-in-energy-markets

quote:

The wholesale price of gas has dropped sharply in a rare respite from recent highs on signs that Europe is preparing to intervene directly in energy markets.

The European Commission said it was working “flat out” on an emergency package, and on a longer-term “structural reform of the electricity market” to combat soaring prices while efforts to fill gas storage facilities appear to be ahead of schedule.

The day-ahead UK wholesale gas price tumbled by more than 20% to 447p per therm on Tuesday, while the month-ahead contract dropped by a quarter, to 473p per therm.

etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0Ao9r2zkY

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

HopperUK posted:

Saw this amazing man chatting up some old ladies outside St Pancras today.

He was spilling anecdote after anecdote about his life. He once got punched in the stomach by a policeman at Bank Station (asked why, he said 'the last train had gone' as if that explained it). He once got given two free backstage passes to either a Pink Floyd concert or just David Gilmour, unclear. He once woke up in the middle of a roundabout. And on and on. To be fair they seemed fascinated, but maybe it was just the light bouncing off the many, many shiny badges he had attached to his hat.

I'm not surprised this guy once woke up on a roundabout, he looks like he owns the magic one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Reveilled posted:

I'm not surprised this guy once woke up on a roundabout, he looks like he owns the magic one.

That was Dougal. Or possibly The Blue Cat.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That was Dougal. Or possibly The Blue Cat.

I thought it was Mr. Rusty, didn’t Zebedee help him get it up and running?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Reveilled posted:

I thought it was Mr. Rusty, didn’t Zebedee help him get it up and running?

Could be Brian the Snail who had to slow down so as not to upset the train.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/pk_kenzie/status/1564630291301298180?t=fYZZ6y5L5DTzRxaRNTmphw&s=19

I like that the replies to the original tweet here are just listing series that are basically Harry Potter but better.
i was like 'oh that can't be right, surely' so i checked the amazon listing and her new book, a 'taut detective thriller' clocks in at 1,024 pages :psyduck:.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I like the electric bollard system Leicester uses, it targets most of the bad faith arguments against.
My favourite thing about electric bollards is watching videos of bellends trying to sneak through and getting their car impaled.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Apraxin posted:

i was like 'oh that can't be right, surely' so i checked the amazon listing and her new book, a 'taut detective thriller' clocks in at 1,024 pages :psyduck:.

Editors are for plebs. If any idea she had was anything other than pure unquestionable genuis she wouldn't be rich would she

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

It’s a decent detective character she’s created with some decent writing. But she absolutely does not need that many pages. There are so many tangents and red herrings and boring bits - is her editor afraid?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

keep punching joe posted:

Is there a women's darts?

Hope a trans woman wins that next.

Yes there is, but the main professional tour, run by the PDC is, and always has been open.

If you're good enough to win a tour card, you play.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah the argument about trans women in sport (and notice they tend to complain less about trans men in sport, although force a trans man up against a bunch of cis women because of your ideology and you might see some complaints) is as if a bunch of 120 kg muscle kings suddenly sticks a pink ribbon on their beard and get to compete against a 60 kg woman in MMA. It really doesn't work like that and after a certain amount of time on HRT, I think something insanely short like 6 months, the advantages you had will have gone.

Do you lose all advantages after you have been through male puberty then transition? Because the numbers on swimming for 16 year old boys vs Olympian women is quite a stark difference. I think the issue people have (whether they are outright transphobes or just looking at the numbers) is someone like Lia Thomas, on the numbers I saw (and of course there could be skullduggery going on with figures floating around in these debates) is that she lost a couple of seconds on her times after transitioning but that still made her faster than 96% of her new peer group, as opposed to something like 74% of her old peer group. Is that an advantage?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

swimming is a funny one to talk about advantages with, when you have guys like Michael Phelps whose body produces way less lactic acid than other people and so doesn't suffer the same onset of muscle fatigue. Seems like a pretty ludicrous advantage to me

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Comrade Fakename posted:

People round me* went absolutely loving mental about LTNs, it brought down the leader of the council and they got rid of them. Suffice to say, I didn’t give a poo poo, but it was bizarre to see people acting like being somewhat inconvenienced while driving through the area constituted an intolerable assault on our way of life. “Destroying our communities” one leaflet said.

*Well, round me usually, I’m in Cuba right now.

I don't have a car but the local LTN which entirely surrounded, but did not include, my street basically turned the street into a bypass. Made it a HTN.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A little light in our darkest hour maybe? Not sure how it will impact on the UK but I think there must be some impact. Thanks to Europe :D

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/30/wholesale-gas-prices-tumble-as-europe-prepares-to-intervene-in-energy-markets

Given that the main issue in this country is profiteering, I fear the prices remain high regardless of the supply market. Providers have learned ‘oh, we can jack the prices as high as we like with no consequences? Sweet!’, and that’s going to be a hard genie to put back into the bottle, especially with this government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Finally!

quote:

The report said that the public feels police officers are "more interested in being woke than solving crimes".

Oh wait....no

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62732336