Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Got the “congrats” email. Which airplane is still under review.

welcome to the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

Congrats!
We have a big vacancy and I'm sitting torn (as I do every vacancy) over whether to stay flying the piece of poo poo 737 or move to the 757/767.

756 pros: mostly go to London, 2 legs, domestic sucks and international is cool. Get paid to nap on the plane. Cockpit not so loving tiny. Approach speed isn't 167 kts.

Cons: might not hold a line in winter, global reserve is bad here, schedules look potentially exhausting, some places the van ride is like an hour plus you've got an earlier report time so basically waking up at 1am home time to go fly all day. Plane breaks down all the loving time.

Seriously can't decide what to do.

lol the 76 is chill af, easiest in the fleet by miles, bid it for sure

I’m tired of chasing the moving goalposts of 76 upgrade that’s been 2 years away for the last 4 years, and pulling the trigger on 74 FO in November in the hopes of a spring class date

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did someone say 76? Cause they offered the 76…

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Did someone say 76? Cause they offered the 76…

Best fleet, they saved you from yourself

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

You can take e.pilot's place when he leaves.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They specifically told me I was applying for his spot.

Animal posted:

Best fleet, they saved you from yourself

Now that the fleet and offer are on the table, can you guys tell me anything/everything about life on the 6? I’d be commuting from CLT so at least I’m super close to a huge airport.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Big, two engines, I think Atlas paints theirs white.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

MrYenko posted:

Big, two engines, I think Atlas paints theirs white.

Isn’t that like 90% of 767 operators :confused:

I don’t think giant has any 764s, but it’s kindy wonky going back and forth from 80s flight deck to MFDs on our fleet, since we operate 763 and 764s :pwn:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

They specifically told me I was applying for his spot.

Now that the fleet and offer are on the table, can you guys tell me anything/everything about life on the 6? I’d be commuting from CLT so at least I’m super close to a huge airport.

it’s great, I barely fly 300hrs in a year, good mix of domestic and international, legs aren’t horribly long compared to the 74 or triple, huge variety of airports, I’ve been to 55 unique airports in 4 years

that said upgrade has been 2 years away for 4 years so I’m gonna jump to the 74 for a bit to mix things up and make a little extra money

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My current situation is like 200 per year but it’s all SIC on this plane and they’re talking about putting it on 135. I like where I go but my pay, inflation considering, stinks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
probably 1/3rd of that 300hr is sleeping

I make 6 figs to travel the world and ride my bike and take two full unbroken months off every year

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Cool video on the J58, the SR-71 engine. One of the old Pratt engineers talks shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJrXUh0eZjw

Also, any good resources out there to help with airliner identification? I can mostly tell Airbus and Boeing apart but I'm getting tired of asking my captains which one we're supposed to follow when looking at 7 different airplanes coming down the taxiway.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

cigaw posted:

Cool video on the J58, the SR-71 engine. One of the old Pratt engineers talks shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJrXUh0eZjw

Also, any good resources out there to help with airliner identification? I can mostly tell Airbus and Boeing apart but I'm getting tired of asking my captains which one we're supposed to follow when looking at 7 different airplanes coming down the taxiway.

This may help: https://opennav.com/airliner-identification-quiz

For smaller airplanes, where the engines and wings are located makes it relatively easy to tell manufacturers apart.

Engines under the wings? Embraer 175/195. If it's got rounded flight deck windows, it's an A220.

Engines on the tail? Probably a CRJ, maybe an Embraer 145.

For twin turboprops, if the main landing gear is on the fuselage, it's an ATR, if they're on the engine nacelles, it's a Dash 8.

Telling the 737 and A319/20/21 apart is pretty easy by looking at the engines and landing gear, since the 737 nacelles are much closer to the ground, and the main gear are much shorter than the Airbus family. From the front, the 737 nacelles also have a "chipmunk cheeks" appearance, where they bulge out at the bottom sides, whereas Airbus engines are round.

The 757/767 can be differentiated because the 757 looks significantly skinnier than the 767, and the 777 is big enough that it's hard to mistake for anything else.

Telling the 787 and A350 apart is a bit trickier, but I use the wingtips, since the A350 wing curves up to being nearly vertical at the tip, whereas the 787 is flatter at the tip.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 30, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Surely 777 vs a330 is a thing? 777 has 3 pairs on each main gear, a330 has two. The 777’s wedge vs cone shaped tailcone is pretty unique too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cockpit windows are a pretty good tell, too. Manufacturers tend to use extremely similar windscreen/sideview layouts between models. The windows on a DC-10 are nearly the exact same shape and layout as the windows on a C-17.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hobbesmaster posted:

Surely 777 vs a330 is a thing? 777 has 3 pairs on each main gear, a330 has two. The 777’s wedge vs cone shaped tailcone is pretty unique too.

I usually have problems with A330 vs 767 since they seem like the most generic planes in both company's lineups

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
330 has airbus cockpit windows and a pointier tail, and more space between the axles on the trucks on the mains, and tiny little winglets

e:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shouldn’t you not rely on winglets because they vary? Still, I think A330s are the only ones with those weird flatter ones?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

Engines on the tail? Probably a CRJ, maybe an Embraer 145.

Telling the 787 and A350 apart is a bit trickier, but I use the wingtips, since the A350 wing curves up to being nearly vertical at the tip, whereas the 787 is flatter at the tip.

ERJs look like flying darts, the CRJ series is bigger around.

The A350 has winglets, while the 787 has raked wingtips.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

e.pilot posted:

more space between the axles on the trucks on the mains

Ok I LOLed in this, definitely my favorite one

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bob A Feet posted:

Ok I LOLed in this, definitely my favorite one

I’m serious :colbert:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

e.pilot posted:

You're also technically correct (which is the best kind of correct :smugbert:) but I would submit that it is way, way more esoteric than the common "A330ceo has the angled winglet" approach.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
even as a 76 driver I always look at the wheels first to tell lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

When I was spending hours plane watching on suddenly very long layovers in Narita (rip the best sky clubs for plane watching) looking at the mains was always the best way to “reset” your scale of size. After watching A380s, 744s and 777s move around you see a 767 and think “wait how does Aeromexico fly a 737 to Japan…. OHHHH”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

e.pilot posted:

330 has airbus cockpit windows and a pointier tail, and more space between the axles on the trucks on the mains, and tiny little winglets

e:

is it most most straightforward to see whether the tail of the fuselage remains flat at top vs angles down?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Potato Salad posted:

is it most most straightforward to see whether the tail of the fuselage remains flat at top vs angles down?

It's like the arrow in Fedex.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

e.pilot posted:

Got them airbussy windows

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you were worried that the airlines being fucky was a US specific thing, ANA just scheduled my in-laws for a connector flight that leaves about 5 hours before they get to Tokyo. So it’s alive and well everywhere apparently.

One little trick to halve your transcontinental trip time that the man doesn’t want you to know about!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

feel like this is your guys' kind of meme

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:five:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

0toShifty posted:

Got them airbussy windows

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Thank you all for the tips and resources. Looking forward to being able to identify more airplanes and not feel like an idiot lol

LostCosmonaut posted:

feel like this is your guys' kind of meme

Pretty sure this was born in the skywest fb meme page. It's as beautiful now as the first time I saw it.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

cigaw posted:

Thank you all for the tips and resources. Looking forward to being able to identify more airplanes and not feel like an idiot lol

Pretty sure this was born in the skywest fb meme page. It's as beautiful now as the first time I saw it.

Say what you want about the Mormon Air Force, but they produce some top notch meme content :patriot:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Say what you want about the Mormon Air Force, but they produce some top notch meme content :patriot:

You're not supposed to call LDS members Mormons any more, so I think it's now the LDSWaffe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

You're not supposed to call LDS members Mormons any more, so I think it's now the LDSWaffe.

Wait, seriously?

I can’t keep up with this poo poo.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/17/us/mormon-church-name-trnd/index.html

poo poo. Article says we can't use LDS either, so I'm going to Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints Hell now.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

azflyboy posted:

Is it still the book of mormon? Then they're still Mormons :colbert:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I know we joke about Sky West being The Airline of the Church Formerly Known as the Latter Day Saints but this is literally their most recent pilot newhire class. These guys (and 2 gals) are just a black nametag and a blue book away from the people who used to knock on my door every Saturday morning:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
That’s the mandatory dress code for day one of training when they take your employee picture.

But yes, it was hilarious walking from the hotel to flight safety in a seemingly never-ending mormon cosplay parade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The employee pic where they simply place epaulettes on your shoulder for as long as it takes to get a lovely crew photo. They accidentally put captain stripes on one guy in my class, still not sure why they even had them on hand for a new hire class.