Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

Gosh, baby has arrived and a desire for crunch is at a pretty low ebb, as is time for painting metal dollies. I've been a hybrid boardgame-wargamer for a while now (well, not doing much of either but when I'm doing it - it's a shared interest) and I've been wondering about chit/counter based wargaming. There were some excellent MDF 2mm Nappies posted earlier and I wonder if that's a good shout - but if not, maybe just bases with company/battalion markings painted on? I'm thinking particularly of Agincourt - Napoleonic era...

I’ve seen a type of ”pub nappy” games where each battalion is represented by a small coloured stick. Then you can play on basically a foldable paper mat.

Found it:

https://www.commandpostgames.com/pub-battles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New baby arrived? Sounds like you're going to have enough "nappy battles" as it is

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

I’ve seen a type of ”pub nappy” games where each battalion is represented by a small coloured stick. Then you can play on basically a foldable paper mat.

Found it:

https://www.commandpostgames.com/pub-battles/
So basically, Napoleon's Triumph or Guns of Gettysburg? I've heard great things about both, got the latter, haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Count Thrashula posted:

New baby arrived? Sounds like you're going to have enough "nappy battles" as it is
For gently caress's sake, why didn't I think of this :doh:

Still, gotta admire someone who still has the energy and will for the hobby with a freshly-arrived kid.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have a kid coming in about a month so I'm scrambling to finish up my Mollwitz board for SYW before I have to tuck everything into storage

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Scrambling to finish so I can pack it away in a closet is depressingly the story of my hobbyist life.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Got a baby in May, I’ve had roughly… three hours combined of hobby time since then?

And yes, most of my hobby things are now in the attic too because of this. Scaling down to just a few things in the apartment.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My kid was born a year ago, which means I'm slowly getting some of my hobby time back, but I now have to contend with a 1 y/o girl whose entire mission in life is to contrive a way to get ahold of my minis and pop them in her mouth.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

My kid was born a year ago, which means I'm slowly getting some of my hobby time back, but I now have to contend with a 1 y/o girl whose entire mission in life is to contrive a way to get ahold of my minis and pop them in her mouth.

I’m looking forward to assembling a child-proof gummy bear napoleonics army.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The first Swiss Gummy regiment performed honourably at Borodino and was mentioned in dispatches, seeing off the Russian 237th regiment of sherbet lemons before seizing a battery of chocolate covered licorice cannon

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Pub battles looks perfect to me! I don't suppose there's a UK stockist?

Re: baby - she's sleeping alot at the moment, I'm back to working full-time. Obviously, while she needs caring for it's all hands on deck but while she's sleeping for hours at a time it's no biggy. I have her in the pram right next to my little work station.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tanktanktankta- wait a minute that’s not right

Spgspgspgspgspgspgspg

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Endman posted:

Tanktanktankta- wait a minute that’s not right

Spgspgspgspgspgspgspg

Very nice! Love me some Semoventes! :cheers: Out of curiosity, what system is it for? I'm only aware of BA and CoC.

I actually have a 75/18 too, but (unless I'm horribly mistaken about the size of yours) it's a larger scale one for Bolt Action, by Rubicon. I hope you have some little L3s, to back that big fella up! :D

Endman
May 18, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Very nice! Love me some Semoventes! :cheers: Out of curiosity, what system is it for? I'm only aware of BA and CoC.

I actually have a 75/18 too, but (unless I'm horribly mistaken about the size of yours) it's a larger scale one for Bolt Action, by Rubicon. I hope you have some little L3s, to back that big fella up! :D

Thanks! I’d love to get some L3s!

This is a 15mm model from Battlefront, so I guess technically it’s for Flames of War, but this one will see more action in What A Tanker :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have a few groups of Prussian infantry from the SYW that I'm painting up for Sharp Practice. Someone on the TFL forums came up with some pretty in depth start sheets for SYW countries.

I was trying to figure out which regiment I wanted to paint as because there's so much diversity and I came across this absolute DRIP

It blows my mind that gentlemen just waltzed in to battle like this, it's so good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If anyone here is the 3d printing type, Madox Historical makes some incredible minis. They've done Seven Years War, French-Indian War, and American War of Independence so far, and I think they're branching into medieval stuff now while they finish up FIW/AWI. I couldn't be happier with how these Prussians look.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Count Thrashula posted:

I have a few groups of Prussian infantry from the SYW that I'm painting up for Sharp Practice. Someone on the TFL forums came up with some pretty in depth start sheets for SYW countries.

I was trying to figure out which regiment I wanted to paint as because there's so much diversity and I came across this absolute DRIP

It blows my mind that gentlemen just waltzed in to battle like this, it's so good

Dappers gotta dap. Please show them to us when you're done!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

"Lace Wars" does have a sexy ring to it.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Is there the equivalent of Dwarf Fortress/Advanced Squad Leader level of complexity and record keeping rules for historical miniatures? I know of at least one set for WW2 but how about musket era and modern?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Is there the equivalent of Dwarf Fortress/Advanced Squad Leader level of complexity and record keeping rules for historical miniatures? I know of at least one set for WW2 but how about musket era and modern?

Pretty sure any of the truly grognardy naval games will feature a heavy set of complexity, to the point of only running two or, maybe (?), four ships.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

If anyone here is the 3d printing type, Madox Historical makes some incredible minis. They've done Seven Years War, French-Indian War, and American War of Independence so far, and I think they're branching into medieval stuff now while they finish up FIW/AWI. I couldn't be happier with how these Prussians look.

These look great! What did you print them out on? I assume a resin printer? My Elegoo Saturn 2 is pre-ordered and I have an Anycubic FDM printer. Also, getting into 3D printing seems to be one of the best investments for miniatures a person can make.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

You could just run BattleTech from XTRO 1945 and really big forces. ASL isn't actually that complex on a per-unit basis, so if you really want you can simply run something intended for fireteam fights and run company level games.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

You could just run BattleTech from XTRO 1945 and really big forces. ASL isn't actually that complex on a per-unit basis, so if you really want you can simply run something intended for fireteam fights and run company level games.

lol i was gonna suggest battletech homebrew actually since i've been playing loads of cbt lately but thought maybe i'd wait to see some other suggestions first since there may be some other button counting games i don't know about

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
A Fistfull of TOWs and, believe it or not, Avalon Hill's Main Battle Tank (MBT) for miniatures were the ones i was thinking for modern.

Arquinsiel posted:

Thanks I'll check it out!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The other option is just running ASL and using the chits as record sheets.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

can't remember if i asked this already in the past, but does anyone have a good source of ww2 infantry stls? vehicles are plentiful and free but infantry i can't find with a quick google. i tried scaling down my march from hell dudes as an experiment and the bodies are okay but the guns and protruding arms are too spindly at 6. need something specifically modelled for 6 mm for infantry i think

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Deluxe ASL was created as a way to use minis for ASL, though you are still playing on a grid

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Printing 6mm is going to be a fragile mess on any printer. You could try taking your 15mm March to Hell dudes down 50% to 7.5mm, they're designed chunky and should be able to handle that reduction better than most figures.

Source: My friend Howard has been intensely frustrated printing his Napoleonic stuff at 6mm.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

moths posted:

Printing 6mm is going to be a fragile mess on any printer. You could try taking your 15mm March to Hell dudes down 50% to 7.5mm, they're designed chunky and should be able to handle that reduction better than most figures.

Source: My friend Howard has been intensely frustrated printing his Napoleonic stuff at 6mm.

i've had good success with napoleonics and ancients at 6 mm, but they were modelled for that scale. i could compromise and make the figs a little larger but the bigger they get, the more awkward/tightly packed a squad looks on a base (or the bigger i need to make the base)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I was actually looking at 6mm scale models to maybe do some live ASL stuff and I had come across these:

https://www.ghqmodels.com/collections/1-285-6mm-scale
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/AltEndingGames?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1064399426

Fake edit: I am dumb, don't have a 3D printer, and have done little to no research

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

Printing 6mm is going to be a fragile mess on any printer.
Even assuming you're going the turbo-heroic, low-detail style most applicable for the size?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Adding to the "I've had plenty of success with 6mm models modeled for 6mm" pile.

Henry Turner's Napoleonics stuff prints great at 6mm and is pretty solid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was actually looking at 6mm scale models to maybe do some live ASL stuff and I had come across these:

https://www.ghqmodels.com/collections/1-285-6mm-scale
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/AltEndingGames?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1064399426

Fake edit: I am dumb, don't have a 3D printer, and have done little to no research
I like Heroics & Ros for being even cheaper and pretty much fine for 6mm stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pierzak posted:

Even assuming you're going the turbo-heroic, low-detail style most applicable for the size?

He was running into problems where the bayonets and rifles would snap if anyone looked at them too hard.

I imagine if you can find closed-pose figures where the extended parts aren't too extended you'd be fine. It sounds very much like his figure choice was a factor, based on others' success in the scale.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

moths posted:

I imagine if you can find closed-pose figures where the extended parts aren't too extended you'd be fine. It sounds very much like his figure choice was a factor, based on others' success in the scale.

Tweaking the STLs in Blender might help as well.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

There's always the Phoenix Command Combat System. It was designed by NASA rocket scientists to be the most detail-oriented wounding and ballistics simulator in chart form in the mid-1980s, and focused on squad and platoon level small arms engagements between individual miniatures, and was marketed both as a player-versus-player miniature game and as a roleplaying game supplement. It was originally late-ish Cold War, but got WWII and Wild West supplements and there's a vehicle expansion line with 80s and WWII vehicles.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Time for another tank!

Or rather a tank destroyer

e: the drybrushing is really obvious this close, but at arm's length/tabletop distance it has a really nice gradient effect I really like

Endman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 2, 2022

SRF
Oct 31, 2011
After years of waffling, I'm finally ready to take the plunge and get into Napoleonics. I've even decided on the war of the fifth coalition as the rough period. But now I'm struggling to pick a sale. Initially I had planned on going with 28mm for Sharp Practice, but recently I've felt awfully tempted to just go straight for big(-ish) formations and get some 10mm for General d'Armee. I'm rather fond of the Perry plastics and they look like they'd paint up nicely, but I also love the effect of larger numbers of smaller scale minis - although the smallest I've done so far is 15mm.
Does anyone have experience with Napoleonics in either/both scales or with either set of rules and can provide some input?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't know anything about GA but with SP, you can definitely drop down to 15mm, if that would help you build big armies for GA later.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
15mm would be the best of both worlds approach.
Do your Gd'A force in strips and single-base some for SP. There's plenty of people who play it in that scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRF
Oct 31, 2011
My issue with 15mm is that it lacks the detail and, perhaps more importantly, cheap plastics of 28mm while not looking nearly as impressive for mass formations as the smaller scales. Full disclosure: if I end up going the GdA route, I'm pretty much dead set on battalions with one base per company with proper distances between figures, i.e. elbow to elbow, which is the primary reason why I'm not particularly interested in starting with SP in 28mm and then building up to GDA - formations in 28mm always seem to end up looking too loose, and I don't get the impression 15mm helps a ton in that regard.
The one good thing about this dilemma is that the fact that I'm already obsessing about dumb poo poo like this makes me feel like Napolenonics really are for me. I'll be counting buttons in no time.