Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also, for reference, this is what our flowchart/timeline looks like for F!Jordan

I feel I should also mention that I kind of designed it badly but the character routes are locked in upon making your choice during Bidding Wars, I just didn't want to make it hard to parse so I put the route names at the bottom, we're technically already on the routes once Bidding Wars ends :eng101:

edit: also update on the last page whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This code stuff is turning into a pain in the aspera.

Also, I know I asked this before, but, "NO ENTRY"? Can we go down that branch next?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

What.

We finally rolled a universe where neither Jordan nor their love interest were the vampire. We could actually have proceeded past Vampire Children for once. And Katashi hosed it up.
And also, if I'm reading this right, there wasn't actually a "press or not" choice, so that entire route is basically a dead-end.

Seems pretty clear at this point that there's not another round of death games beyond Vampire Children given that every branch keeps slamming into a dead-end here.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Quackles posted:

This code stuff is turning into a pain in the aspera.

Also, I know I asked this before, but, "NO ENTRY"? Can we go down that branch next?

we are not going down those branches until the end of the game. :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On a more serious note this route is even more egregious because we know that humans have a massive advantage over the vampire when you think a bit about it, so Katashi just jumping to push the button seems even more dumb.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On a more serious note this route is even more egregious because we know that humans have a massive advantage over the vampire when you think a bit about it, so Katashi just jumping to push the button seems even more dumb.

Yeah, up until this point I almost assumed the devs were using the skewed nature of Vampire Children to intentionally create unwinnable roadblocks, but in light of this variation, it now just feels like the devs never actually did the math on how this game plays out and just assumed it was more balanced than it actually is.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

all i'll say is i'm excited for the game I plan to LP next (and may already have updates prepped for woops) bc the creator ACTUALLY MADE SURE THE LOGIC WAS INTERNALLY CONSISTENT FOR THEIR DEATH GAMES :psyduck:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mix. posted:

all i'll say is i'm excited for the game I plan to LP next (and may already have updates prepped for woops) bc the creator ACTUALLY MADE SURE THE LOGIC WAS INTERNALLY CONSISTENT FOR THEIR DEATH GAMES :psyduck:

That's the least believable thing in this thread so far!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
echoing the general sentiment of 'wut'

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Why must we get gleeful happy murder Melody. Why, game.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Eye color says deathmatch announcer is Ai, not Dai, the speaker captions are lying to us! Consistency!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Mix. posted:

:yeshaha: give me all the death games!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

Eye color says deathmatch announcer is Ai, not Dai, the speaker captions are lying to us! Consistency!

Perhaps in this reality DAI was the original. It would explain some things.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Another arbitrary bad ending where we don't learn anything and didn't even make a choice for it; it doesn't feel like an end to the story on this path, or a natural result of the choices leading to it, or even a capstone to Jordan and Katashi's relationship. It feels like they just ran out of content, couldn't think for anything interesting to go here, and were on a deadline so they had wrap it up as soon as possible.

I know it's not exactly fair to compare everything to Virtue's Last Reward, which is (IMO) one of the best games of the genre, but in that nearly every bad ending either gives you insight into a character, gives you a clue to the game's mysteries, or is relatively short and punishing you for making a stupid choice (usually trusting someone you obviously shouldn't, betraying when it would obviously piss people off, or letting someone hit the points to escape).

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
also I know it's not the answer but I can't help but want to put in "ad astra abyssosque"

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Once again, it's time to switch Jordans, and once again, it's time to go back to the Logiship round- the last time we'll see it for M!Jordan! That said, unfortunately, for M!Jordan we're actually going to be skipping the final Logiship round, because the last outcome we can get is Vladimir's death- and it's the same execution as it was for Fem!Jordan so there's no reason to show it a second time. :eng99: Therefore, we're going to be starting the morning after it happens...

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]

Although I didn't remember waking up during the night, it didn't feel like I had gotten much sleep, either. When I rolled over and looked at my tablet, I discovered that it was already 8 am. Time to get up. The Dai problem and the pocket watch riddle weren't going to solve themselves, after all. For now, though, last night's execution was sure to be at the forefront of everyone's mind- especially Melody's.

I pulled myself out of bed and got dressed. First port of call...

We'll be doing both of these, but we'll start with Nikolas and Melody. :v:

Hmm, I see that Nikolas is in the Dining Hall with Melody. I might head over... I'm hungry.

I made my way to the Dining Hall and was greeted warmly by Nikolas upon my arrival.

Ah, Jordan. Good morning.

Nikolas smiled at me... Behind him, Melody was drawing at the dining table while eating her breakfast.

Are you sure about that?

Nikolas immediately picked up on my intention and pulled me aside, speaking quietly so Melody wouldn't overhear us.

I understand that today is not, in fact, a 'good' morning... However, Melody just lost her father, and we need to do everything in our power to provide structure and stability.

Oh, I'm sorry.

No, no, please don't be. Let's just support Melody.

Of course. I know all too well what it's like to lose both parents suddenly.

Yes, you do. That being said, she is still a child- as such, we must do our best to give her a normal childhood, circumstances allowing.

I nodded at Nikolas as he turned to speak to Melody.

Melody, would you like any more to eat?

Melody didn't even look up from her drawings.

Noooo thank you.

Alright, well, let me know if you get hungry, okay?

Okay.

Nikolas turned his attention back to me.

Jordan, have you eaten yet?

Oh, no I haven't.

Would you like me to grab you something to eat? I believe today's menu is pancakes with fruit.

Interestingly, we get a branch point in the middle of this choice too, so we'll be seeing both options, starting with the top.

Oh, that would be awesome, thank you.

Very well, if you would like to wait here with Melody, I will go get you your breakfast.

Thank you so much.

Nikolas left the Dining Hall and I took a seat next to Melody, who was happily drawing.

Good morning, Melody.

Good morning, Monkey.

What are you drawing there?

I'm drawing everyone!

Really?
'
Yup.

Even me?

Especially Monkey.

Oh, that's sweet. Can I see?

No, not yet. I'm not done!

Oh, okay. I'll wait.

I sat quietly next to Melody, waiting for her to finish. I couldn't get any clear glimpses of what she was drawing since she was covering it with her arms.

Okay!

Well, let's have a look then!

Melody handed her picture over to me.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]

:stare:

…...........

See, this is you, and this is the captain...

Yeah, yeah, I can see that. Are we... Are we all on fire?

Yup.

Why?

You all lost.

But we don't all lose.

Melody simply shook her head at my naive remark.

Silly Monkey, everyone loses.

A chill ran through my body at her remark. My body felt both heavy and foreign at the same time. When Nikolas returned I was still sitting in silence, trying to process what I'd heard.

Here we are, Jordan. Crafted by the Everett's finest chef.

What's wrong, hm? Hello?

I suddenly snapped out of my dark thoughts.

Oh, yes, sorry. Thank you.

Nikolas put my plate down in front of me before taking a seat across from me. I began eating as Nikolas engaged Melody in conversation.

Have you finished your drawing, Melody?

Yep.

May I see?

Melody handed over her picture to Nikolas. I could see Nikolas' eyes flicker with discomfort as he examined her drawing.

...This is very well done, Melody. You're quite the artist.

Thank you! Nikolas, can we please put it on the fridge?

Well...

With that, Melody's face dropped as if she already knew the answer.

How about instead of putting it on the fridge, you let me keep it? I love it so much I want to keep it for myself.

Melody's eyes lit up.

Really?

Yes, really. This is the best picture I've ever seen. Please let me keep it.

Hmmm... Okay!!

Thank you Melody, I will cherish it forever.

Anyway, uh, let's go pick the other option for Nikolas. :v:

Thanks for the offer, Nikolas, but I can go grab some. It's no trouble.

If you're heading to the Kitchen, I might give you some company. Melody, would you like some juice?

Yes please!

Apple juice?

Hmmm.... NO! I want orange juice!

Please?

Pleeeeeeease.

Very well. Please stay here while I get you some juice.

Nikolas and I left the Dining Hall and headed to the Kitchen. When we arrived I could see the pancakes and fruit on the bench.

This looks amazing!

I've already had a serving, and it is quite good. Just be sure not to take too much, or Katashi will get on your case.

Hahaha. That's the last thing I would want.

Nikolas and I both grinned at the thought of Katashi losing his temper.

I wasn't aware that you were taking care of Melody.

I haven't been assigned to take care of Melody per se, but the captain had her hands full this morning and asked me to look after her. After Melody has her breakfast, I'm supposed to hand her over to Shizuka for a bath.

Well, you seem to be doing a good job so far.

Thank you. I'm not the best with children, but I'm doing my best for the captain.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you aren't the best with children, why would the captain ask you to take Melody?

The captain and my sister have been at each other's throats since they were little. I, on the other hand... I believe that the captain and I understand each other a little better.

Oh really? Why?

What I am about to tell you does not get back to my sister, do you understand?

Yes, absolutely. My lips are sealed.

When my mother died, so did the captain's. Shortly after her mother died, so did her father.

What, really?

Yes. She took command of the ship when she was ten.

That's so young.

My father mentored her and chaperoned her during her training until she came of age.

When my mother died, I was so angry. I blamed Kimiko for years. But back then, I remember my father coming to me and talking to me about it.

He said: 'Nikolas, Kimiko is innocent. She's more of a victim here than you, your sister or me, yet you treat her like she is the enemy. Kimiko must be unbelievably sad and lonely; unlike you, she doesn't have a sister or a father to talk to. She has been alone and will continue to be.'

At that moment, all the pent up rage I'd directed towards Kimiko melted away in an instant... How could I have been so foolish as to blame her for her mother's actions? Kimiko was even younger than I was, and I'd thoughtlessly pushed all the blame on her.

That night, I went to see her.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]

Captain, may I have a word?

What is it, Nikolas?

I'm sorry.

What for? What have you done?

I'm sorry for everything. I knew it wasn't your fault, but I blamed you anyway. I'm so sorry.

I don't know what you're talking about, Nikolas.

Our mothers.

It's fine.

No, it's not fine!

I...

IT'S NOT FINE!

I...

IT'S NOT FINE!

It's not fine...

She cried for almost an hour. I'd never seen the Captain cry until then, and I haven't seen her cry since that day.

That must have been so hard for her.

I imagine it would be. Since then, we've shared a mutual understanding and respect for one another.

I just regret that it took so long to realize the situation. I was such a child.

You were just a child.

What's Beatrix's excuse, then? Will she ever outgrow her childish grudge?

Nikolas shot me a cheeky smile.

I'm going to tell her you said that.

If you tell her that, I'll tell her you said that she isn't the most attractive person on this ship.

You wouldn't!

Wouldn't I?

Nikolas and I scrutinized each other for a moment, trying to get a read on one another's intentions. Before long, however, Nikolas broke into laughter.

Hahahaha. I don't think either of us is that cruel.

I second that.

Alright, let's head back so Melody can have her juice, and you can eat your pancakes in peace.

We headed back to the Dining Hall. Once there, I took a seat and began eating.

Here you go, Melody: orange juice, as you requested.

Thank you!

Melody grinned while drinking her orange juice, almost wearing it.

Finished!

Alright, Melody, it's almost time for you to meet with Shizuka to go take your bath. Let's say goodbye and head over to meet her.

I don't wanna have a bath.

I know, but the Captain requested it. Do you really want to go against the captain's orders?

YES!

Alright, let me request her for a moment... Ai.

Ai materialized in front of us.

Ai, could you please inform the captain that Melody is refusing to take her bath?

A look of panic appeared on Melody's face as Nikolas explained the situation to Ai.

No, no, I'll have a bath, don't tell the captain that.

Shall I tell the captain you are having a bath then, Melody?

Yeah, I'm having a bath... Maybe Nikolas doesn't want to have a bath.

Nikolas, shall I inform the captain that you don't want to have a bath?

Hahaha. Sure, tell the captain I am refusing to have my bath.

No no, you can't!

Melody clung to Nikolas' arm, concerned.

Nikolas will have a bath, I promise.

Very well, I shall pass this on.

Ai bowed and left.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to almost get you in trouble.

Haha, it's okay. Now let's get you to Shizuka.

Nikolas stood up and started walking Melody out of the room.

Bye, Monkey! Let's play later!

I look forward to it!

They both disappeared out the door and I finished eating my pancakes. They were pretty drat good; Katashi definitely lived up to his reputation as a culinary god.

Next update, we'll go check up on Beatrix instead.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That is one insightful kid.

This was a nice scene with Nikolas and Kimiko. I wish the game had more actual flashbacks like this. Might have made the repetitive routes feel like they got more depth to them.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

That is one insightful kid.

Just realised it might not be clear that I mean Melody here, as opposed to the flashback kids :v:

Silly monkey, we're all in a trash fire!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The no baths scene at the end was cute :kimchi:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ZCKaiser posted:

I know it's not exactly fair to compare everything to Virtue's Last Reward, which is (IMO) one of the best games of the genre, but in that nearly every bad ending either gives you insight into a character, gives you a clue to the game's mysteries, or is relatively short and punishing you for making a stupid choice (usually trusting someone you obviously shouldn't, betraying when it would obviously piss people off, or letting someone hit the points to escape).
Bad endings peaked with the push the button ending in Zero Time Dilemma.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: emetophobia

Now, we're gonna go check on Beatrix- she's probably not doing too hot after drinking herself under the table with Vladimir the day before.

Beatrix drank a fair amount last night, I should check up on her.

I made my way to her quarters, which she shared with Nikolas. I pressed the intercom button beside the door.

Hi, Beatrix, it's Jordan. How are you holding up this morning?

No answer.

Nikolas suddenly appeared beside me.

Good morning, Jordan.

Oh, good morning, Nikolas.

Nikolas raised an eyebrow in my direction.

Making house calls? Are you trying to drive me out of business?

Hardly. I just wanted to check and see how Beatrix was doing.

Actually, this is perfect. I've been tasked with caring for Melody this morning, but Beatrix has been struggling since last night. If you could take care of her for me, I would be extremely grateful.

Yeah, of course I will.

Did she not let you in?

She didn't even reply.

Nikolas gave a knowing laugh.

She doesn't handle hangovers well.

Nikolas continued laughing to himself as he opened the door to his quarters.

There you go. Now, I'd best be off.

Thanks, Nikolas.

Oh, one last thing: she's really difficult when she's hungover.

Oh, really?

It's too late to back out now, you've already agreed. Good luck!

With this parting riposte, Nikolas left in a hurry before I could change my mind.

I entered their quarters to find what appeared to be Beatrix attempting to shield herself from the light using her blankets.

Beatrix?

...Ggghhhrrrr...

I suppressed a laugh at the odd sound emerging from under the covers. Even in her debilitated state, Beatrix would've torn my throat out if I laughed at her in a moment of weakness.

Are you okay?

I think I'm dying.

Oh no. That's not good.

...Gghhghhgh...

Is there anything I can do to help?

Could you please do me a favor?

Sure, what can I do for you?

Could you get me some painkillers and some orange juice... And some pancakes, I'm starving... And then when you get back, could you rub my back while I eat?

Wow, Nikolas was right- you are difficult.

Beatrix sat up very quickly.

He said WHAT! Lil' brother, you are in some strife when-

Beatrix's face grew pale. In an instant, she jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. On the other side of the door, I heard the unmistakable sound of someone being sick.

I decided to take my chances and open the door. Beatrix was huddled over the toilet. She was sweating through her clothes as she struggled to contain her stomach's contents.

Get out. No one should have to see this.

Beatrix signaled for me to leave with a quivering hand, but I had already seen too much.

It's okay. Here, let me help you.

I knew she wanted to fight me on it, but she clearly wasn't feeling well enough to argue the point. I gathered all of Beatrix's long blond locks into a bunch and held it back from the toilet.

I'm... I'm sorry.

What? Why?

Look at me...

Don't sweat it. For what it's worth, I think what you did back there was extremely admirable.

Really?

Beatrix glanced over her shoulder at me for a brief moment, before throwing up again. I continued to hold her hair with one hand and rub her back with the other.

Yeah. I think it meant a lot to Vladimir that you drank with him. It was his last drink after all.

...Thank you, Jordan. That makes me feel a little better.

So, your brother was saying you're difficult when you're hungover... Does this happen often?

Beatrix smiled childishly.

It doesn't happen that often. Only on birthdays, really. However, I don't think I've ever felt this ill after drinking.

Well, you definitely gave it your all last night!

Beatrix managed a small laugh.

Thanks, Jordan.

Feeling any better yet?

Yeah, I think I'm good enough to leave the bathroom now.

Awesome, let me help you up.

I helped Beatrix stand and walked her back over to her bed. Her skin was clammy, which made it hard to get a good grip on her.

Alrighty, let's get you in here.

Beatrix slid into her bed and lay there motionless, staring at the ceiling.

Beatrix... are you okay?

Yeah... ...Can you lie next to me?

Huh?

Come get in the bed next to me. I would feel better rather than you standing there.

What, really?

Yes! Hurry up and lie next to me.

Okay, okay.

I made my way around the bed and slid in next to her. I began to stare at the ceiling as well.

Happy?

Beatrix slipped one of her arms under mine, as if I was escorting her to a dance, walking arm-in-arm.

Yes.

I let out an exasperated sigh.

Jordan, thank you for checking up on me this morning.

It's okay. After last night, I figured you were probably having a rough morning.

It was quiet for what felt like an eternity before Beatrix spoke again.

I always knew I would die on this ship, but I never imagined it would be like this.

Life is funny, isn't it?

I guess that's one way to put it.

When I was little, my mom would always tell me that this ship was my world. She said worlds existed elsewhere, but this was my world, and my world had a purpose.

I never really questioned it: I would live and die on this ship. After all, I didn't know any different, but now...

...Now it's different.

I know what you mean; I thought I'd never get to see another person other than my parents.

A smirk crept across Beatrix's face, which was struggling to remain serious.

Not just any person, might I add... You were lucky enough to feast your eyes upon this wonder.

Beatrix started pointing to herself, but in her current state, it looked as if it pained her greatly.

I was indeed lucky, hahaha.

Beatrix and I smiled at each other for a moment.

Don't think I've forgotten.

Huh? What?

You still have to rub my back!

Ah, yes, of course.

Beatrix rolled over onto her side awkwardly and I started gently rubbing her back. She seemed to get a bit more comfortable, enjoying the soothing massage. I could feel her relax and gradually her breathing grew quieter.

Beatrix?

It appeared she'd fallen asleep. I continued to lie in bed next to Beatrix before realizing what this would look like if her brother were to walk in on us. After all, they did share a room. I didn't know Nikolas well enough to know how this situation would play out, but I thought it best not to tempt fate. I crept quietly out of Beatrix's bed and made my way back to my own quarters.

I lay in bed, exhausted from my morning babysitting session.

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]
Yahoooooo! Everyone's favorite AI system is here! My, it's a beautiful day, isn't it? It would be such a shame if someone were to mention the DELETION GAME!!

*ahem* Could I please have all crew report to the Dining Hall for briefing immediately? That is all.

Seriously though, HURRY UP! I'm not going to wait here all day.

I rolled over and moaned to myself before getting to my feet and heading over to the Dining Hall.

As we entered the dining room we were greeted by an overly excited Dai.

Welcome, welcome, please everyone take your seats. The show is about to begin, and I must say I am quite excited about this one.

I made my way to the table and took the empty seat next to the captain. Dai was moving excitedly around the room, pretending to do a headcount.

Okay, good, good, everyone is sitting.

Get on with it, Dai.

Didn't your mother ever teach you that patience is a virtue?

The captain looked at Dai intensely.

Oh, that's right. She probably wasn't around long enough to teach you much. Such a shame.

I could see the captain becoming enraged by Dai's words, but she remained composed.

Alright, I can't hold in the excitement any longer! Welcome to Round Four of the Deletion Game: BIDDING WARS!

As usual, skip.

Team A will be made up of Jordan, Nikolas, Beatrix, and Yoshiki, and Team B will consist of Katashi, Shizuka, Melody, and Kimiko.

:shepface: Yaaaaay... more Yoshiki... you shouldn't have, Dai, thanks a bunch.

And remember, no talking with the enemy from now on, or else!

Team B, if you would please exit the Dining Hall and make your way to the Rec Room, I will be there shortly to allocate your team captain. Team A is up first.

And again, skipping ahead, we already know Jordan is going to be captain. :v:

But... I don't think I want to be team captain.

Sorry kiddo, but that's the hand you've been dealt!

I think you'll make a fine team captain, bestie.

I don't want to have to make choices for others. I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's life.

If he doesn't want to be team captain, then I should be!

Over my dead body, Beatrix! In that case if we tie, you will die also.

Nikolas, I am considering your proposal...

I nominate myself as tribute!

Bzzzt. Sorry, Trixxy, doesn't work like that. Although killing Nikolas to give you team captain was tempting. Don't worry, Jordan, you only have your life, your team's lives, and the lives of the other team in your hands!

Yeah. Thanks.

Alright, any last questions before I leave to visit the infamous B team?

I have one.

Yes sir, you in the back!

Yoshiki looked around, confused for a moment, before realizing she was referring to him.

Oh, yes, I have a question about the allocation of points. If I'm always allocated 0 points, am I guaranteed to die?

What? Heavens, no. This is a team game, remember?

But if I have 0 points each round... in total won't I have 0 and I'll lose?

Buuuuuut your team might still win, in which case even with 0 total individual score, you would still survive.

Huh?

If Team B loses, even if their lowest individual score is 400 million, it doesn't matter- that's who is executed, because they have the lowest score on the losing team.

So we should focus on making the team win and not the individual?

You can play it as you choose! I'm simply the referee, the dealer, the executioner, etc.

One last question.

Make it quick, I'm already running late to my next appointment.

What if we disagree with the points allocation? Can we overthrow our team captain?

Ahahahaha, feisty as always! But no. Your team captain is your captain, and attempts at mutiny will be met by a special court martial with your honor- ME!

Hint- it doesn't go well for the attempted mutineers.

Awesome.

Alright, well, I will leave you to discuss your plan to take down the B team. Remember, no talking to them, not at all!

With that, she unmistakably signaled that she was watching all of us, and disappeared from the dining room. We all sat in silence for a few moments, really processing the current situation.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Also, the other game I'm LPing is in the home stretch, so I've already begun preparing for the LP to replace that one once it's done, but I need votes for what route we'll start on, so I'm crossposting the poll link in here since I know not everyone in here has been reading that one :v:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

ah yes, I too am laying in fanbait poses when horrifically hungover

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
Yep. Trixie's gonna offer up Yoshiki, huh?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

dervival posted:

ah yes, I too am laying in fanbait poses when horrifically hungover

It's a life goal, for sure... :YoshikiThink:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]
I wonder what the punishment is.

Huh?

If we talked to Team B. What would be our punishment?

I welcome you to find out firsthand, Yoshiki.

That wouldn't be wise. Dai never specified that the punishment would only affect those who broke the rules. I'm not willing to take that risk.

Hmm. You make a good point.

Do you think Dai would only punish those who broke the rules? Or everyone?

I can't be sure, but let's not concern ourselves with that right now. If we never speak with Team B, we won't need to find out.

I guess so...

So, do we have a plan moving into this game, then?

What if we just take turns taking the most to least points over the three rounds? We could just allocate the points like 4 3 2 and 1, and just rotate who receives what over the rounds?

It is highly unlikely that we can do that.

Why's that?

This game isn't just about us. We need to take into account the other team's actions and try to predict their future actions in order for us to win. If we go in with all three battles pre-planned, we'll be easy to predict and counter.

But they wouldn't know we had all three planned in advance.

You're right, they wouldn't. But they'll be trying to predict our movements just as much as we'll be trying to predict theirs.

So you're saying we should go in with no plan...

Not quite. We go in with no numbers set in stone. In situations like this, we need to be flexible and adapt during each round.

This does seem like the best way to approach this.

Oh little brother, you're so smart.

Beatrix latched onto Nikolas' arm in excitement.

So we can't do anything just yet?

We have a week, so there's no rush. And since we can only speak amongst ourselves, we'll have plenty of time to come up with the best possible strategy.

Okay! I'll work hard on strategies for us!

So, if we can't communicate with the other team...

Who needs them anyway?

Who's going to make our dinner? Katashi is on the other team.

All the members of Team A seemed stunned by the announcement.

Can any of you cook?

I can do everything.

Is that you volunteering to make dinner?

Fat chance there, Sailor. My hands are far too precious to be soiled by food preparation.

Yoshiki, make me dinner, eh?

Um, sure.

I don't think that's a wise decision.

Why not?

Yoshiki can be quite clumsy.

What? No I'm not!

What happened to the cleaning robot you made last month?

I tripped over her... so what? She moves under your feet!

Then what happened?

Well... I set her on fire.

What, why??

It was an accident! I was trying to fix her after I tripped over her, but I set her on fire instead...

Wait, her?

Yoshiki's voice took on a slightly wistful tone.

Her name was Lina. She was the best cleaning robot ever... Until I set her on fire, that is.

Exactly.

That doesn't mean I can't cook!

Very well. I expect you to answer to Katashi should you cause any damage to his precious Kitchen.

Yoshiki flinched at the very idea and gave a slight bow in Nikolas' direction.

Please cook dinner, Nikolas. I was wrong to question your wisdom.

I wasn't trying to volunteer, but it looks like there's no helping it now.

Come to think of it, for the next week we'll have to perform different chores to make up for who's missing.

I'm good, thank you. I have neither the need nor desire to do chores.

But we all need to work together!

I'll cheer you on from the sidelines.

But...

Beatrix completely ignored Yoshiki and continued.

Let's work hard, okay, team? Oh, would you look at the time, I need to go wash my hair. See you later, team!

With those words, Beatrix abruptly exited the Dining Hall.

She's not going to help at all, is she.

Absolutely not.

You'll help us, right, Jordan?

Of course!

Okay! Well, I'm off.

Yoshiki waved gleefully at Nikolas and me before leaving.

Well, I have a few things to handle before I start dinner preparations, so if you would excuse me.

Nikolas left, leaving me alone, sitting at the table in the Dining Hall.

Bidding wars, eh? I'm not sure how we'll pull this off as a team. I have a bad feeling about this...

Of course you do.

DAI! Don't sneak up on me like that!!

Why not?

Because you frightened me.

Can people die from being scared?

Um, I don't-

One moment, I'm checking the database.

Hahaha, who would've thought?

What?

Humans can, in fact, die from being scared, although it's highly unlikely.

Apparently, the human body releases adrenaline when frightened, which causes calcium channels inside the membranes of the heart to open, allowing calcium ions to rush into the heart. This, in turn, causes the heart muscles to contract. Too many calcium ions and they don't stop contracting.

Huh?

Your heart stops working, and so do you.

Oh.

I should be more careful, I don't want to kill any of my contestants... or do I?

Dai, what do you want?

Can't a girl stop by and check in on her favorite player? Besides, I already finished explaining everything to those ingrates over on Team B. Just between you and me, I hope you win.

Dai smiled almost sweetly, but there was still something off about it.

Believe it or not, as structured/repetitive as this VN can get, it still finds ways to surprise you the one time it chooses NOT to follow a pattern. :eng101: An actual conversation with Dai, with actual dialogue paths for once! Let's start with the least interesting question, the top option...

What is the punishment if we talk to each other?

Curious little rabbit, aren't we?

I just want to know what happens.

Dai leaned in close to me before whispering.

It's a secret.

That isn't helpful at all.

When you get someone a present, you don't tell them what you got them, you just wait and give it to them. It's always more fun if it's a surprise. Besides, I hope you never have to find out.

Is it that bad?

Or is it that good?

Good for you is probably not good for me.

Oh, you got me! Let's just say... it's not in everyone's interests.

Next, the bottom question.

Do you have a sense of smell?

Dai's head cocked sideways as if thinking hard about the question.

Eh? A sense of smell?

Yeah. Can you smell things?

Why are you asking me this? This is weird. Why are you being so weird?

Was just curious.

Curiosity killed the cat, little one.

Do you have one or not?

I don't, in the human sense of what a sense of smell is.

What do you mean?

Well, I have neither a body, a chemosensory system, nor olfactory sensory neurons. In a human, these neurons are stimulated by microscopic molecules released by various substances-

A simple no would have been sufficient.

Buuuuuut... I can record and break down the different molecules in the air. So I can't smell it per se, but I can recognize which molecules you're referring to when you can smell something.

But you can't smell.

Yeah, well, you can't see the molecules you're carelessly breathing in!

And lastly, the middle option.

What is it like being an AI?

What a strange question.

What's it like being a human?

Well, um, I don't know...

Why don't you know?

Well, I've always been human, so I have nothing to compare it to.

BINGO!

Huh?

I've never understood my existence as an AI system, so how would I know what it's like without comparing it to other experiences?

I guess. Is there anything that humans do that you can't, but would like to?

Human things I want to do... Hmmm... Hmmm....... Oh, I got it!

Yeah? What is it?

I want to kill someone.

You're already doing that.

No, I'm not. I control various ship functions that are able to kill people. People have the ability to squeeze someone else's throat with their own two hands until they stop breathing... More than anything else, I want to be able to do that.

That isn't really what I meant.

Oh...

Dai looked puzzled for a moment.

Okay... Well, I guess I want to have a physical presence.

That's better.

So I can touch things.

That's definitely something that humans can do that AI's can't.

...Like people's throats.

Not good again.

This has been fun, Jordan.

I'm glad I could amuse you.

You haven't just amused me... I now have what you humans call a dream.

Um, what?

I have a dream to touch your throat. I can generate the image in my head already.

Um, please don't.

Thanks to you, I have a dream, a goal, and a purpose in life! Jordan, one day, I want to kill you with my own two hands.

Dai looked at her hands, smiled, and dissipated.

Awesome. Just what we needed- a twisted dream for our resident homicidal AI.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It's 100% going to be yoshiki who fucks it up for us, isn't it

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It's 50 % Yoshiki forgetting he's not supposed to talk to the captain and 50 % him just wanting to see what happens. Before this update I would have said 100 % Yoshiki forgetting, but now it's a coin flip.

Please tell me we can get him executed for that.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Would the captain merc us before or during vampire children if Yoshiki bites it this round?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I made my way into the halls only to be drawn in by one of the most enticing aromas I had ever smelt in my life. Following the irresistable pull of this intoxicating scent, I inevitably arrived at the Kitchen.

Ah, good morning, Sailor.

I was greeted by Beatrix's smiling face as she went about preparing breakfast. She moved about the Kitchen so gracefully it was as if this was where she truly felt most comfortable. It was a strange sight, to say the least, given her infamous resistance to cooking duty.

Good morning, Beatrix. Breakfast smells amazing.

Of course it does.

What's for breakfast? I'm not familiar with this particular scent.

I made apple cinnamon muffins.

Wow, they sound delicious.

They were my mother's favorite. She taught me how to make them when I was little. Incidentally, they're also Nikolas' favorite.

I can see why. Seriously, I don't think I've ever been so excited to eat something. The aroma is making my stomach ache from anticipation.

Hahaha, calm down, Sailor. Here.

Beatrix handed me the tray of muffins.

Take these into the Dining Hall. Nikolas and Yoshiki should already be there. I'll grab some ice cream to go with them.

Ice cream for breakfast?

I might die on Sunday. I'm having ice cream for breakfast.

I don't think there's ever been a better reason to.

With those words, I spun on my heel and headed out to the Dining Hall with the muffins securely in my hands. It was difficult to restrain myself from eating them. The aroma was so close now, so intense.

[BGM: Standby to Standby]

As I arrived at the Dining Hall, I ran directly into Nikolas.

Oh, sorry Jordan. Are you okay?

Yeah, I'm fine, and so are the muffins thankfully.

Nikolas' eyes widened as he looked at the tray of muffins in my hands.

Beatrix made apple cinnamon muffins?

Yeah, she did.

We usually only have these on special occasions. I wonder what's happened.

We don't need a special occasion, little brother.

Beatrix appeared behind me with the ice cream.

Maybe we should stop waiting for special occasions and enjoy it while we can.

While I don't agree with your pessimistic tone... I'm willing to agree if it means I get to eat apple cinnamon muffins.

You are such a simple soul, little brother.

Nikolas smiled at Beatrix as he took the ice cream out of her hands and placed it on the table. I put the tray of muffins down next to it. Yoshiki was sitting in a seat, squirming as we all took our own.

Can I eat yet?

Where are your manners?

Yoshiki looked away sheepishly.

I'm sorry, Nikolas. Beatrix, thank you for making breakfast.

You're welcome. Now, hurry up and eat, or else the muffins won't melt the ice cream.

Yoshiki's eyes lit up as he reached across the table and started serving himself.

Jordan, what are your plans for today?

I'm not sure yet. I need to speak with Ai at some point about this Dai situation, but other than that...

I'm sure all of us would appreciate the company if you got bored.

Thanks, Nikolas.

I started helping myself to the muffins and ice cream as the conversation continued. They were hands-down one of the best things I'd ever tasted. The warm muffins- now glazed with melted ice cream- were fluffy on the inside with a hint of cinnamon in every bite. Beatrix was a great cook.

What are you doing today, Nikolas?

I was planning on going out to the farm to get us some fresh vegetables for dinner. I'm sure Katashi is still taking care of the livestock, but I'll double-check while I'm there.

I'm pretty sure he is, the sheep all looked well yesterday.

You were at the farm yesterday?

I was just...

...getting apples. I needed some for today's muffins.

And what a treat they've been. Thank you, Beatrix.

Yoshiki, what are your plans?

I have to take care of some engineering stuff. You know, metal and waires and... stuff.

That sounds... fake?

Um, I AM the only engineer on board. I think I would know a bit about the metal and wires and stuff.

Isn't Katashi also an engineer?

Agricultural engineers don't count! The only reason he's able to grow plants in the first place is because I keep the hydroponic systems running smoothly.

Have I hit a nerve?

Hahahaha, no. But, seriously, I'm a real engineer, with real engineer things to do.

Okay, I trust you. Beatrix, what are your plans?

I'm going to the Science Lab to check on Vladimir's workload and pick up his most pressing tasks where he left off.

That's so thoughtful.

We all looked at Beatrix expectantly.

Fine, it was a direct order. But I would have done it anyway!

No sooner had Yoshiki finished scarfing down his breakfast than he excused himself.

I would love to stay and clean up, but... metal... and wires and stuff... you know.

With a grin, Yoshiki jumped from his seat and disappeared out the door.

This has been wonderful, Beatrix. I can't think of a better way to start the day.

Thank you, Nikolas. Make sure to pick whatever vegetables you want for dinner, and get them to the Kitchen between 4 and 4:30 so I can have them cooked by 5. Katashi and I are taking shifts because we aren't allowed in the room at the same time.

Of course.

Thanks, bro.

Jordan, I trust you and your busy schedule can handle the dishes.

I suppose they can.

I smiled weakly. I was so entranced by these muffins that there was no way I would deny their creator at this point.

Thank you, Jordan. Alright, brother, let's get to work.

Nikolas stacked his plate with Beatrix's before standing and leaving with her.

It's your time to shine, Jordan. Doing the dishes has always been your strong suit.

I laughed to myself as I collected the plates and made my way to the Kitchen to clean up. Those muffins were so good I couldn't stop smiling. It only took me about 10 minutes to clean up, so I headed back to my room to look over more of my notes before dedicating time to help anyone out.

I sat on my bed and pulled out the pocket watch.

How is this supposed to connect to alternate realities... How is that even possible?

I stared at it intensely. There was a clasp button at the top, which allowed you to open the watch, but from there it got a bit strange. There was a small button on either side of the clasp button, and two sets of second clocks inside the watch. The one on the left had the number 42 on it, but the one on the right was empty and didn't seem to be working. The rest of the watch worked and displayed the current time. The other interesting feature was the LED lights arranged on another section of the watch.

I guess I won't know unless I try to push the button. Here goes.

I pressed the left button. The LED lights on the outside started lighting up one after another and then stopping, making it look like a green ring circling the watch. It did this three times then stopped.

Huh. ...Right button, I choose you!

I pressed the right button and hoped for a better response.

*bzzzzt*

The watch made a buzzing noise. Aside from that, nothing happened. I tried again.

*bzzzzt*

Awesome. I feel like I've made so much progress.

I sighed as I continued to stare at the watch.

How is this supposed to connect? Why didn't my parents leave more information?

Frustrated, I slid the watch back into my pocket.

Alright, let's go give someone a hand.

In this update, we're going to rip the bandage off once again and go help Yoshiki. We'll get to the twins next update. :eng101:

I made my way down to the Engineering Bay, where I found Yoshiki bent over a workbench.

Hey Yoshiki.

Yoshiki spun on his heels to face me, shifting his weight to try and hide what was on the table behind him.

Oh, Jordan, it's you. What a relief.

Who were you expecting?

I don't really know, but I just...

What are you hiding?

Huh? Hiding? Hahahaha.

I smirked and raised my eyebrow at Yoshiki.

You're not getting off the hook that easily.

Fine, I'll spill the beans. But don't tell anyone, okay?

That really depends on what kind of crazy contraption you're hiding behind you.

Seriously? I thought we were BFFs!

Alright, alright, I promise I won't tell anyone. Now, what are you hiding?

So, you know how I said I had to do some engineering stuff?

Uh-huh.

Well, this is what I've been working on.

Yoshiki moved aside to show what he was hiding on the workbench. It appeared to be a doll of some kind. Upon closer inspection, however, I discovered that it bore a striking resemblance to Ai.

I didn't know you could make toys.

Are you kidding? Of course I can make toys! I can make almost anything if we have the resources to produce it.

Really? Can you make me a doll, too?

Only if it's a Yoshiki doll.

Yoshiki winked at me and smiled.

What am I saying, who needs a doll when you have the real thing to play with?

Haha. Too true, BFF.

I winked back at Yoshiki, who giggled.

Anyway, here, you should hold it.

Yoshiki picked up the Ai doll and passed it to me. I was surprised when I almost dropped it- it was much heavier than I had expected.

This is a lot heavier than I was expecting.

What did you expect, stuffing? Hahaha.

I don't understand. Why did you make such a heavy doll?

I've been working on this doll as a device that Ai can connect to and control.

...so...

So Ai can have a physical body.

The same Ai that currently turns into Dai and murders our friends and family every week?

Well, yeah, but...

Does the Captain know about this?

Yes. She's the only one who knows other than me and Ai.

And she approved this?

Well, technically I started building this before Dai started killing people.

...Does she know you're still working on this, even with Dai killing people?

Well, no... but it's okay.

What! How is this okay? Why would we give the AI system currently murdering people a physical body?

You need to calm down, there's nothing to worry about. I've already thought of everything.

What precautious have you taken?

To begin with, this robot body is what, 30 centimeters tall? And there's no real strength in her limbs or abilities. She's limited to basic functions... like holding and carrying small items.

Like a knife?

Yoshiki frowned.

Such a pessimist.

Seriously though, what if Dai gets control of this?

Oh, she can't.

What? Why not?

I'll let Ai explain that herself.

Yoshiki took the robot doll out of my hands and then placed it back on the workbench. He flipped a switch on its back, causing the robot to hum with potential energy.

You can connect to your robot body now, Ai.

I heard Ai's voice come over the intercom in the Engineering Bay.

Very well.

Just as she finished speaking, the robot's eyes opened.

Hello, Jordan.

Ai? Are you in the robot doll?

Affirmative.

Huh, this is really cute...

Thank you.

Anyway, how can we be sure that Dai can't get access to this doll robot thing?

I have an authorization sequence that runs every thirty seconds in the background of this doll's programming. If it fails a single one, the program accessing it is immediately locked out and the robot stops functioning entirely.

So why can't Dai simply bypass the authorization check?

Because she doesn't know the sequence.

Couldn't she just access it some other way?

No. Just like how she cannot access what I am doing, or my history, she cannot access this authorization sequence, so it's quite safe.

I guess if it's safe, it should be okay.

She's adorable, right?

Yes, this really is quite cute.

This is only her second time controlling the robot, so she is still a bit uncoordinated.

I am still configuring my control to be the most effective at controlling the robot.

Watch this.

Yoshiki picked up the Ai doll and put her on the ground, standing on her two feet.

Ai, try to walk to the door and back.

Very well.

The Ai doll slowly placed one foot in front of the other, gradually inching closer to the door. Each step seemed like a massive effort as the doll struggled to keep its balance. Just as Ai was about to reach the door, the doll over-balanced and fell face-first onto the floor.

Hahaha.

Ai's voice was muffled as her doll's face was pressed against the ground.

Please wait a moment while I correct my vehicle's position.

The Ai doll remained flat on the ground, flailing its arms and legs helplessly.

Are you sure you don't want me to help you up?

No thank you. I must learn to correct myself.

After about 3 minutes of awkwardly thrashing about, Ai managed to roll onto her back and rise into a sitting position.

I am afraid I must leave, I am being summoned by the captain. I shall continue practicing basic movement at a later date.

With that, the Ai doll closed its eyes and its body went limp. Yoshiki walked over, picked up the doll, and placed it back on the workbench.

Pretty awesome, right?

It really is, I never would have thought of making her a robot body.

Why did she have to leave? Can't she control multiple functions of the ship at once?

Hahaha, of course she can, but I'm pretty sure she can't have her 'interface' appear in two places at once.

What? Why not?

My mom told me it was to make her seem less alien.

What do you mean?

Well, she's already an AI system, which is a concept that's hard for people to warm up to. On top of that, she can m ove between places instantly. Her designers must have decided that having her in multiple places at once was a step too far.

So it's possible, but her programming only allows her to appear in one place at any given time?

Yeah. For example, she could talk to us over the intercom right now while still being present in another part of the ship, but will have one of us wait until she changes locations.

That seems so... wasteful.

I agree, but not everyone is a visionary like us. Hahaha.

Talking about visionaries...

I pulled the timepiece out of my pocket and handed it to Yoshiki.

I found this with my parents' research. Supposedly it can connect to alternate realities. What do you make of it?

Yoshiki had a curious expression on his face as he inspected it.

I feel like I've seen this somewhere before.

Seriously?

Yeah, I just can't put my finger on where.

Are you sure you've seen this watch? Not just a similar one?

No, I'm pretty sure it was this exact watch.

What makes you so sure?

I remember the two distinctive seconds dials in the middle. I also remember wondering why you would need two of them when one did the job just fine.

Where did you see it?

I... I don't remember.

When do you think you saw it?

Um, well, it wasn't recently.

So, maybe last year?

No, no, I'm thinking I saw this as a child.

As a child?

Yeah, I don't think it was even in the last 10 years.

I was getting both excited and confused at the same time.

Alright, so you saw this as a child.

Well, I can't remember if it was this, or just a picture of this...

Yoshiki started rubbing his head, screwing up his face as he tried to remember.

Okay, okay. I think we need to take a breather. Sitting here straining our brains isn't going to help either of us.

I didn't even know my brain could hurt this much!

Hahaha, at least that means you have one.

Hey!

Hahahaha.

We're both in the same boat here, friend.

Yeah, that's fair. Maybe together we make a full brain.

Yoshiki threw his arm around me and pulled me in close, chuckling.

This is why we're BFFs.

He pushed his head up against mine.

I'm going to see if I can work out anything new about this watch. I'll see you at dinner, okay?

Alright, but don't tell anyone about the Ai doll. Also, try not to hurt your brain too much; remember, half of it is technically mine!

Okay, I won't tell anyone about our mutual friend's fancy new bod. No promises about the shared brain, though.

With that, I left the Engineering Bay and headed back to my quarters.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

We're coming up to another important choice, but this time the vote is pretty obvious- which Vogel twin do we wanna focus on first? :eng101:

Also, sorry this LP's been kinda slow recently, between trying to finish the other LP (which finished yesterday! :v:), preparing the next one (should be dropping tomorrow actually), and preparation for a 24 hour charity marathon I was a part of this past weekend, things have been really busy :v: It should go back to normal next week.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, at least this was more enlightening than usual. Ai has a body she can use and Dai can't (for now...), the totally not gonna be important fact that Ai/Dai aren't omnipresent and can be distracted, and Yoshiki not being bad for once! Besides building a robot for the currently insane AI even if she has a non-insane side.

Voting to see more of Nikolas since we know he's the stable twin so far.

Mix. posted:

We're coming up to another important choice, but this time the vote is pretty obvious- which Vogel twin do we wanna focus on first? :eng101:

Also, sorry this LP's been kinda slow recently, between trying to finish the other LP (which finished yesterday! :v:), preparing the next one (should be dropping tomorrow actually), and preparation for a 24 hour charity marathon I was a part of this past weekend, things have been really busy :v: It should go back to normal next week.

It's OK, everybody knows LPs are basically a second job :v: Take your time and don't get burned!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Ai has a body she can use and Dai can't (for now...), for longer than 30 seconds at a time

:ohdear:

Voting for Nikolas as well

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
Even if Dai tries to kill us with the doll (read: she will because she's an AI and this is a video game) it should be child's play to deal with its attempts

Voting for more Nick scenes as well

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So that's who stabbed us.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did these two bozos create Chucky?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
If Yoshiki saw the watch as a child, then he likely saw it when someone jumped realities and also back in time (IIRC the parents only finished the watch recently), which suggests that some variation of "Kimiko's mother got murdery when she discovered that people could warp in from other realities" is in fact that backstory of the main timeline (except unlike the timeline we saw, Jordan's parents survived and escaped).

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

New LP is starting over here (running concurrently with this one), and hey, it's another death game VN, who could've seen this coming :v:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Wow the Dangan Ronpa/Zero Escape-like genre is really taking off. At least in the indie scene anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It checks out, Danganronpa V3 kinda closed the series and 10-11 years is enough for the teens sharinh SA accounts to read the original LP to have grown up and start developing.