Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol their very first example of censorship is China removing an anti-Chinese racist joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

He's the third one. Shushkevich and Kravchuk died earlier this year.

How three men signed the USSR's death warrant

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Aug 31, 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a good little catalogue but I wish they shared the entire selection instead of bits and pieces. For example, the elements labeled "LBGTQ+" in the piece mention sexual relationships with inanimate objects in the footnotes...I ain't watching big bang theory to find out myself, release the list!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

I’m interested in this but only if it's a dispassionate list and not some hamfisted narrative "journalism"

oh my god lol. does it say what it was changed to

They didn't replace it with anything there's just really obvious cuts + dead air from jokes they removed

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
half of the clip examples that were censored contain anti-Asian racism lmao

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

just to be clear they removed a cousin loving / rape joke and called it a LGBTQIA2S+ 'elimination'

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

just to be clear they removed a cousin loving / rape joke and called it a LGBTQIA2S+ 'elimination'

wtf is LGBTQIA2S+? idpol is getting insane. lookin like a procedural game map seed

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KirbyKhan posted:

Every now and again I rember hearing 2020 Mulan was banned in China. I come to find out, it just didn't get media coverage. Hollywood analysts just said "umm... china banned it" to sensationalize their losses. You could buy it, but you wouldn't because there's like 22 better versions of Mulan. It was Variety's tienamen square

gently caress that movie sucked poo poo, didn't even have any of the music, but it kept alluding to the tunes using it as a cheat to mentally stitch the dogshit narrative together. The animated one was so good.

Aight Imma read this article later.

posted this before, but this is a great run down of why the disney animation was good and why the movie sucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZccG-wtt5FA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

crepeface posted:

wtf is LGBTQIA2S+? idpol is getting insane. lookin like a procedural game map seed

lesbian, gay, bi, trans, genderqueer, intersex, asexual/aromantic, 2 spirit

I think at this point the acronym is unwieldy and should fall under the blanket term "queer" but that isn't my call to make. I’m sorry, everyone.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Antonymous posted:

lol

edit: they censored 1% of the footage and of that 1%, 90% was for crude sexual jokes

weak, china should have censored 100% of the big bang theory

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The article's really funny- they say there's a category called "disrespect" and they split it into two groups- jokes against china/north korea/russia, and "harder to understand" cuts of "harmless" content. The first harmless cut is a joke about a chinese restaurant lying about what kind of meat they're serving (i.e. eating dog)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

indigi posted:

I think at this point the acronym is unwieldy and should fall under the blanket term "queer" but that isn't my call to make. I’m sorry, everyone.

I am unable to perceive this as anything but an op to make people hate intersectionality

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol their very first example of censorship is China removing an anti-Chinese racist joke

:911:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KirbyKhan posted:

Every now and again I rember hearing 2020 Mulan was banned in China. I come to find out, it just didn't get media coverage. Hollywood analysts just said "umm... china banned it" to sensationalize their losses. You could buy it, but you wouldn't because there's like 22 better versions of Mulan. It was Variety's tienamen square

gently caress that movie sucked poo poo, didn't even have any of the music, but it kept alluding to the tunes using it as a cheat to mentally stitch the dogshit narrative together. The animated one was so good.

Aight Imma read this article later.

just looked up an article about this
https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/why-china-hates-disney-mulan-1234770198/

quote:

Disney’s new “Mulan” was initially celebrated in the West for being a landmark for Asian-American representation, thanks to its all-Asian cast. Yet many of the elements seemingly included to boost its authenticity have fallen flat with their target mainland audience.
In the wake of other films like “Crazy Rich Asians” and Lulu Wang’s “The Farewell” that were hailed as milestones for Asians in the U.S., but which failed to resonate in China, “Mulan” is most revealing entry yet in Hollywood’s rolodex of unsteady attempts to bridge the cultural gap between the mainland and the West.

lol "theres a lot of asian people in the movie". if thats all youre looking for, you could watch literally any chinese movie ever made

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I am unable to perceive this as anything but an op to make people hate intersectionality

you think intersex people are an op?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

Antonymous posted:

An op, incest sickos trying to glom onto gay people like nambla tried, whatever it is it sucks.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The lady who played Mulan did have some correct opinions about Hong Kong if I remember correctly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

An op, incest sickos trying to glom onto gay people like nambla tried, whatever it is it sucks.

lol the I in that acronym doesn't stand for incest, the writer is just full Simple Jack

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

fart simpson posted:

lol "theres a lot of asian people in the movie". if thats all youre looking for, you could watch literally any chinese movie ever made

lol they're so loving stupid

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

Zizek said it's getting out of hand and once + was added there was no need for an acronym because + already covers every specificity of sexuality.

like why pull things out of + into the acronym. rearranging GLBT into LGBT is already kinda pathetic idpol nonsense but at least it stuck I guess

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the farewell didn't do well in china because half the scenes are people talking about if America is better or not (that's not so bad but)

the other half of the scenes treat chinese people as a strange alien other which doesn't work well for people who want to see themselves

I called it a "white gaze" film in the popculture thread and I stand by that

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

dead pigs was the same poo poo and then its director got to do Birds of Prey. so I guess karma is a bitch

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

fart simpson posted:

lmao that's awesome

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

lmao that's awesome

Just a perfect synopsis of our racist, paternalist impulses

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

think about the farewell for one second "Daughter, please understand, everyone in China knows that when someone is dying you pretend they are not"

ok but the conflict for the main character really hinges on Grandma, a person in China, not knowing that, even tho I guess she did it for her husband or w/e.

And then in the end credits they say "HEy! She dind't actually die lol. there were no stakes in this movie we just wanted to show how weird China is!"

The main character understands everything Grandma says (because they are close, this is important). But then she cannot understand 美女 or remember how to say 恭喜 which is like, first week of learning chinese, because the film maker wants to point out how weird it is in china when you go to a shop in china the clerk might say "how may I help you, pretty girl?" even if you're ugly

edit: also chinese people are a little psychotic that Akwafina (lol at this racist stage name) is not good looking. but that's sorta their own problem

the farewell made me psychotic too, obviously

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Fairwell sound terrible. How can you not know what "gong xi" means? I am glad I skipped it.

BTW I find Everything Everywhere a pretty decent Chinese immigrant movie if you don't look at the multiverse poo poo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

turns out having a lot of chinese actors in a movie isn’t considered a novel or cool thing on its own, in china

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

think about the farewell for one second "Daughter, please understand, everyone in China knows that when someone is dying you pretend they are not"

is this really a special chinese thing because it kind of sounds like something everybody does

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Crazy rich asians assumed asians means Chinese and that Singapore is an ethnically Chinese, not malay or indian, city

I didn't watch that one cause I knew it would drive me insane but the cast seems to be white people and chinese people only. like a hollywood movie would do I guess

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

The main character understands everything Grandma says (because they are close, this is important). But then she cannot understand 美女 or remember how to say 恭喜 which is like, first week of learning chinese, because the film maker wants to point out how weird it is in china when you go to a shop in china the clerk might say "how may I help you, pretty girl?" even if you're ugly

does this word literally mean pretty girl even though almost no one interprets it that way or was the clerk just correctly guessing that she was american

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

Crazy rich asians assumed asians means Chinese and that Singapore is an ethnically Chinese, not malay or indian, city

i cant get past how weird it was that hollywood making a cinderella story with a corporate heir was supposed to be groundbreaking and impressive to asians that would be like an asian country trying to impress the united states with their knoweldge of western culture by making a superhero movie

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

calling someone pretty or handsome is like, a polite way to address a stranger. like a hotdog cart in new york might have a lady grilling dogs and yelling "hey handsome come get a hot dog" "hey pretty lady do you want a dog? relish ketchup mustard"

and the main character says "what does [pretty lady] mean?" and the dad says "it means pretty lady. in China even ugly girls are a pretty lady" as a joke

edit: the thing that makes me insane is that she understands everything her grandma says in a few scenes. How do you not know the word for "pretty/beautiful (also the word for america)" or "girl/woman/lady" talking to your grandma. those words must be common

in fact I would bet if you look at the scenes where she's talking to grandma those words are used and understood. its just for a dumb joke that has nothing to do with China

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Aug 31, 2022

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

is this really a special chinese thing because it kind of sounds like something everybody does

saying that normal things are specific to their home country is how immigrant parents complain their kids don't understand all the social norms that no one taught them after growing up in a socially dislocated setting. generally you get over it when you grow up but if you are trying to make money writing you might consider exploiting it for flavor and if the producers or publishers are looking for that kinda poo poo there's a bottomless well

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

i cant get past how weird it was that hollywood making a cinderella story with a corporate heir was supposed to be groundbreaking and impressive to asians that would be like an asian country trying to impress the united states with their knoweldge of western culture by making a superhero movie

Is this RRR slander?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

indigi posted:

you think intersex people are an op?

No, I think referring to them via the alphaneumeric cheat code for a DOS game is almost perfectly designed to gently caress people off. There has to be a snappier way to do this stuff at this point.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Antonymous posted:

calling someone pretty or handsome is like, a polite way to address a stranger. like a hotdog cart in new york might have a lady grilling dogs and yelling "hey handsome come get a hot dog" "hey pretty lady do you want a dog? relish ketchup mustard"

and the main character says "what does [pretty lady] mean?" and the dad says "it means pretty lady. in China even ugly girls are a pretty lady" as a joke

edit: the thing that makes me insane is that she understands everything her grandma says in a few scenes. How do you not know the word for "pretty/beautiful (also the word for america)" or "girl/woman/lady" talking to your grandma. those words must be common

in fact I would bet if you look at the scenes where she's talking to grandma those words are used and understood. its just for a dumb joke that has nothing to do with China

apropos of nothing but this reminds me of an old HK kung fu film that I can't remember the title of, where the hero is taunting a low level goon and makes him "act like a lady" to emasculate him. He kicks his knees, arms, etc., to make him "act demure" etc., and it's an interesting scene where a bad guy is "performing womanhood" which is misogynist on the face of it but also with the context of Chinese women's oppression, foot binding and so on, it also serves as a bitter reminder to this villain of what he represents. Old kung fu, a land of contrast

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

lol yea, it's just how barkers/street salesmen talk

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

Did "queer" mean "odd" before it's association with non-heterosexuality? Speaking as an older millennial my first memories of the word are that it's a pejorative, then later that only gay people could say it because they're taking it back. My mom would never use the word queer, but she says lgbt

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Using that word to refer to strangers is a relatively recent thing. If you left the country in the 1990s and didn't come back for 20 years and had little contact with the culture which isn't uncommon before widespread internet access, it's understandable. I haven't seen the movie so I don't know if that's the case in the movie.

It's also somewhat of a regionalism that started in the south of the country and spread more generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think a lot of that stuff isnt targeted at mainland chinese people, its probably more targeted at 2nd+ gen immigrants?