Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gabriel Grub posted:

(You can already come in unguided if you are invited by family or an acquaintance) :ssh:

How does this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I will bring over goons.

For a price. ;)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Oh no I'm not falling for that again

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Sounds like one of those "seize their passport and force them into sex work" things, except it's targeted at goons which makes no sense.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Jackelope cautiously unhovers his finger off the "cancel flight" button

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gabriel Grub posted:

(You can already come in unguided if you are invited by family or an acquaintance) :ssh:

Welp that's most goons out then.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

How does this work?

You apply for a visa at a consulate. They can tell you what they need for documentation.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I assume Gab is talking about this.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page22e_000921.html posted:

A foreign national who is to acquire the status of residence of “Temporary Visitor” for the purpose of visiting a relative / an acquaintance (in a case of visiting an acquaintance, only a foreign national who have a relationship to him/her equivalent to a relative, or who is recognized his/her necessity to visit Japan.) .
(Note) A relative / An acquaintance residing in Japan has to pledge (PDF)Open a New Window to take quarantine measure as Inviting Person when applicants apply for visa at the Japanese embassy / consulate. (Letter of Invitation (PDF)Open a New Window)
The following are examples of cases where relationship equivalent to a relative or necessity to visit Japan is recognized.

A foreign national who has relationship with a person residing in Japan equivalent to a relative as listed below;
Betrothed
Common-law marriage

A foreign national could be recognized his/her necessity to visit Japan.
A person who attend to wedding or funeral
A person who is visits a sick acquaintance

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Please print your posts and mail them to your nearest consultant so I can bring you over.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Word is, Japan is planning on opening to some degree next month. Apparently, they have figured out the tour group thing is a failure so are going to scrap it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Everything I’ve seen suggests that tour groups, chaperones, and sponsors are still required. Just less restrictive than before.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It sounds like you won't need to be part a tour group but you will still need to hire a travel agency to book all your hotel and events in order for them to sponsor your visa. I guess it's all about having someone be responsible for the foreigner.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Everything I’ve seen suggests that tour groups, chaperones, and sponsors are still required. Just less restrictive than before.

Kono Taro was out there on the bird app saying the magic words, visa waiver soon.

Patience, goons. You don’t want to be here now anyway, it’s still loving hot.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Lol so close. We've got flights for the 19th of October so probably another 3-4 weeks to see if its doable or otherwise book somewhere else. This is really the only time my partner and I can get time off together until next Christmas, so here's hoping something amazing happens soon!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i'm thinking i should probably book my tickets to visit the family this winter now while they're still fairly cheap

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good progress IMO. Still not in love with the set schedule bit but reports on the ground are that it's already really lax after your "official" tour is done for the day, so I wonder how much of a formality this "has to be pre-booked" thing will be. Like no one will be taking attendance at XYZ temple, so I presume that's exactly what it will be -- a formality and you might be checked on to see if you're in the vague vicinity of where you said you would be, geographically, at most..

But obviously chaos still reigns.

I'm hoping we get through the virtual babysitter phase by early 2023 else I have to see if I can turn my self-booked May tickets into agent-booked somehow. And no doubt that agent booked accommodations will be more expensive than whatever I can scrounge together on airbnb or expedia.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm hoping we get through the virtual babysitter phase by early 2023 else I have to see if I can turn my self-booked May tickets into agent-booked somehow. And no doubt that agent booked accommodations will be more expensive than whatever I can scrounge together on airbnb or expedia.

Like I said, Digital minister Kono Taro was on Twitter saying

https://twitter.com/konotaromp/status/1562666716991086592

I don’t think he means spring 2023.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whoops, missed that. So visa wavier essentially what we had pre-COVID?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

You'd assume so. My feeling is they'll wait until cases drop a bit more before announcing anything concrete, which should be a couple more weeks, month at most.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

While i'm also trying to stay positive, I think it's important to parse the 2 sentences of that tweet separately, 'next' doesn't imply any sort of time frame.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Their current timetable doesn’t make sense either. Opening it up when cases are record high. This is all in service of fixing the tourism sector, so when they realize people still aren’t flocking in due to having to deal with a travel agent (these still exist??) the they’ll just do the next thing. No toxx, but I’d bet late winter in time for spring.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How long did it take them to figure out the tour group thing was a failure? A little less than 3 months? So how long for them to realize tourists just want things as close to the way they were before and are the same for Japanese tourists going most places?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Pretty sure they already know this

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Their current timetable doesn’t make sense either. Opening it up when cases are record high. This is all in service of fixing the tourism sector, so when they realize people still aren’t flocking in due to having to deal with a travel agent (these still exist??) the they’ll just do the next thing. No toxx, but I’d bet late winter in time for spring.

They've already opened up but only in one direction. I live in (arguably) the most popular beach tourism destination in Australia and have talked to 3 families of Japanese tourists just this morning at work. It's not like it's less of a vector for covid than people going there, I'm sure as hell no one is wearing masks or social distancing here.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

field balm posted:

While i'm also trying to stay positive, I think it's important to parse the 2 sentences of that tweet separately, 'next' doesn't imply any sort of time frame.

If you stay positive they'll never let you in!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

How long did it take them to figure out the tour group thing was a failure? A little less than 3 months? So how long for them to realize tourists just want things as close to the way they were before and are the same for Japanese tourists going most places?

It was never meant to succeed. It was just a trial balloon + small giveaway to travel industry buddies.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

field balm posted:

They've already opened up but only in one direction. I live in (arguably) the most popular beach tourism destination in Australia and have talked to 3 families of Japanese tourists just this morning at work. It's not like it's less of a vector for covid than people going there, I'm sure as hell no one is wearing masks or social distancing here.

Japanese were never restricted from travel. Non-Japanese residents of Japan were restricted from reentry, but not leaving, for 2 or 3 months in 2020.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know anyone on a work visa had to go home, but do you mean they did that for naturalized expats too?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I know anyone on a work visa had to go home, but do you mean they did that for naturalized expats too?

No one had to go home. If you left, there was a period of a few months when you could not get back in. This applied even to permanent residents.

"Naturalized" means citizen; no restriction.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gabriel Grub posted:

No one had to go home. If you left, there was a period of a few months when you could not get back in. This applied even to permanent residents.

"Naturalized" means citizen; no restriction.

It was extremely hosed, yeah.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan residents just avoided international travel because there was a mandatory hotel quarantine on re-entry (lifted in early 2022) and now it's even easier that most countries lifted pre-flight PCR tests requirements.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There was definitely a period when residents were denied reentry, and there was home quarantine if you tested negative. Hotel was only for positive tests and people from certain countries considered high risk.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Gabriel Grub posted:

There was definitely a period when residents were denied reentry, and there was home quarantine if you tested negative. Hotel was only for positive tests and people from certain countries considered high risk.

This is also presuming said person lived in Tokyo and could get home without using public transit, no? It’s a long walk from Narita to Kyushu :/
The PCR test requirement is a big ease though. Imagine going back home and then catching covid and being unable to return to work on time etc. I wasn’t able to take that risk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, speaking of weird long walks, touristchat, I have it in my head that I’m going to “walk the Yamanote” this time around. Mathematically it’s an eight hour walk by the numbers if I go my typical leisurely pace but I guess I should plan on breaking it up over two or three days so I can enjoy eating and looking at fun stuff along the way :haw:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well, speaking of weird long walks, touristchat, I have it in my head that I’m going to “walk the Yamanote” this time around. Mathematically it’s an eight hour walk by the numbers if I go my typical leisurely pace but I guess I should plan on breaking it up over two or three days so I can enjoy eating and looking at fun stuff along the way :haw:

Why would you wanna do that? It’s not picturesque.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

This is also presuming said person lived in Tokyo and could get home without using public transit, no? It’s a long walk from Narita to Kyushu :/
The PCR test requirement is a big ease though. Imagine going back home and then catching covid and being unable to return to work on time etc. I wasn’t able to take that risk.

Yep. My memory of COVID travel restrictions were there was a period where it was ????? for foreign residents if they left whether they'd be let back in, so few would risk it outside of things like family emergencies. And even then, they may not have been allowed back in. Outside of the one week or so in late 2020, there also was a very long period where the Japanese government wasn't allowing any new resident visas for anyone outside of the country as well.

peanut posted:

Japan residents just avoided international travel because there was a mandatory hotel quarantine on re-entry (lifted in early 2022) and now it's even easier that most countries lifted pre-flight PCR tests requirements.

Yup. A few people braved it in 2021, but it's this year where all the foreign travel has really gotten going again - whether that's Japanese families finding out about inflation in Hawai'i, or foreigners going back to their homeland for a long-overdue visit.

The step next week means Japan joins a lot of the rest of the world in not requiring PCR tests before arrival, and I still read the "visa waiver next" line to mean it's coming in weeks or months, and not quarters of the year, if that makes sense. For those not up on the terms, 'visa waiver' is how things worked normally for like Americans coming over to Japan - you get a visa, but it's just the stamp on your passport. Visa waiver travel means "because you have this passport, you get a tourist/business trip visa automatically" and that is the true game changer for all y'all goons hot to come back to Japan.

It also helps somebody like me, too - I know my family could easily get the visa to come visit, but avoiding the paperwork and trip to the consulate still would be nice.

the Yamanote walk is actually a charity thing that people do here as well, so it's not impossible. Enjoy that scenic urban day walk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

Why would you wanna do that? It’s not picturesque.

I dunno, just to say I did it? :)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I dunno, just to say I did it? :)

Sure. I suggest you do it next summer. Not as hot as people say. Trust me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

harperdc posted:

the Yamanote walk is actually a charity thing that people do here as well, so it's not impossible. Enjoy that scenic urban day walk.

Urban walks can be just as chill and grounding as nature walks, IMO. It’s still part of the world and should not be discounted - it is no better or worse than trees and rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have a drink at/near each station to make it worthwhile.