Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
little parasyte guy with its own phone and forums account who emptyquotes your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think it would be cool to do parasite in america and the protagonist is some guy who's just incredibly cool and strong. Like maybe a special ed teacher who moderates an internet subforum?

And everyone enjoys his posting...

Oh, so it's sci-fi fantasy

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I don't like any posts made by hetero dudes, no matter how neat

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

>:[

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I'm watching tiger and bunny 2 right now and enjoying it!! No gross stuff so far. That's all

E: loving that the character that reminds me of me has two golden retriever dogs named "John" and "John John"

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I wish Pepsi Next was still around so she could say "Go Next!" again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

https://twitter.com/magicalstarlite/status/1561536096781029376?s=20&t=SiUDQgot8im9Vor0yqR_ZA
https://twitter.com/magicalstarlite/status/1561939733802061825?s=20&t=SiUDQgot8im9Vor0yqR_ZA

THIS Captain Harlock dub?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTVshTXFwA

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A live action, American made version of Saint Seiya, loving what lol

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
get his rear end

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I want an anime set in modern day japan wherein ninjas foil assassination attempts and terrorist bombings and stuff being committed by a religious cult. bonus if the ninjas are cute, perky girls and one of them is a total ditz. I know such a thing exists

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they call what are clearly ninjas spies but otherwise this is exactly that. the most memorable part is the silly title.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

The Voice of Labor posted:

I want an anime set in modern day japan wherein ninjas foil assassination attempts and terrorist bombings and stuff being committed by a religious cult. bonus if the ninjas are cute, perky girls and one of them is a total ditz. I know such a thing exists

just watch Symphogear

Gripweed has issued a correction as of 13:10 on Aug 25, 2022

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

more like simp-o-gear

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I got caught up on I'm Kodama Kawashiri!. Pretty good.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What're the chances they keep any of the "hey this sucks, maybe we shouldn't do this to animals" elements from Parasyte? I'm thinking zero.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

What're the chances they keep any of the "hey this sucks, maybe we shouldn't do this to animals" elements from Parasyte? I'm thinking zero.

Eh, Netflix made Don't Look Up, and Parasyte's environmentalist message is a lot less radical than that.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Just finished Tiger and Bunny 2. Watching Darwin's game next. Is it any good?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Haven't seen it but no.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

tokin opposition posted:

Haven't seen it but no.

how do you knooooooow?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dialectical materialism

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Haven't seen it but no.

I think I watched the first episode and this poster is probably right

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

net work error posted:

I think I watched the first episode and this poster is probably right

Yeaaaah they were right. It's pretty bad

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

They've created an incredibly dumb world where people say things like "It's time to battle! Let's play D-GAME!"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Yeaaaah they were right. It's pretty bad

I've never been wrong even when I change my mind :agesilaus:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i would not have believed you if you'd told me there was a TMNT show that was the literal definition of 'Western Sakuga' (no idea why that's marked as "sensitive content" btw)

https://twitter.com/JojoIscool10/status/1563321035851993088?t=GqX-m-iRI0IWufSYuF-WnQ&s=19

i would've believed you if you told me it got shitcanned after barely two seasons

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Aug 29, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
New dbz movie was OK, not as good as broly

But two new super forms and some nice toriyama touches so can't complain

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_C._Perry#Legacy

quote:

Perry was a key agent in both the making and recording of Japanese history, as well as in the shaping of Japanese history; 90% of school children in Japan can identify him.[35] He was responsible for gaining partnership with Japan and establishing a "firm, lasting, and sincere friendship between the two nations..."[36]

As portrayed by the U.S., both in writing and photographs, Perry was a man of authority and respect. He appeared as a well-mannered, sophisticated man. However, the Japanese portrayed him as a person with little respect. Japanese woodblock prints of Perry show him with droopy, wide eyes and an elongated nose and face. In some, his features are exaggerated to the extent of making him appear demonic and goblin-like. They make him out to be a stereotypical "blue-eyed, hairy barbarian."[37] These blue eyes are something associated with the West, although the blue is used in the whites of the eyes rather than the iris. Blue eyes are something as foreign to Japanese as the West itself. The prints are more than just unique artist interpretations—they speak to the collective view of Perry. He is depicted, both in prints and in writing, as stern, uptight, and unpleasant. These perceptions have carried over into the Japanese perception of Western civilization as a whole. The Japanese perceived Perry as so because of the control he was trying to obtain in Japan. It is probable that Perry represented the parts of Western Civilization that the Japanese did not like, or were afraid of. These images augment feelings of fear, of both the known and the unknown. Japan saw what happened to China and other countries where the "West was superior."[38] Western society, personified by Perry, was viewed with “unreasonable obstinacy."[39]

Pacific Overtures is a musical set in Japan beginning in 1853 and follows the difficult westernization of Japan, told from the point of view of the Japanese.

A replica of Perry's U.S. flag is on display on board the USS Missouri memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, attached to the bulkhead just inboard of the Japanese surrender signing site on the starboard side of the ship. The original flag was brought from the U.S. Naval Academy Museum to Japan for the Japan surrender ceremony and was displayed on that occasion at the request of Douglas MacArthur, who was a blood-relative of Perry. Photographs of the signing ceremony show that this flag was displayed properly as all flags on vessels (known as ensigns) on the starboard side are, with the stars in the upper right corner. The cloth of the historic flag was so fragile that the conservator at the museum directed that a protective backing be sewn on it.[40] Today, the flag is preserved and on display at the Naval Academy Museum in Annapolis, Maryland.[41]

can you guys think of a reason they would hate us?!1!1!1:thunk:

must hate freedom

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Mathew Perry's best depiction to date is the baseball episode of Samurai Champloo.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Mathew Perry's best depiction to date is the baseball episode of Samurai Champloo.

The original Ukio prints are pretty funny

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow why would they have a low opinion of the guy who strolled up to them and went “let me in or I’ll blow you the gently caress up”
that’s crazy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRD3aYqjjk

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Epic Rap Battles of History:

Roman Polanski vs Nobuhiro Watsuki
BEGIN

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Aug 30, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought he isn't in that episode and it's because this guy loses that they have to cover back with Perry?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I liked the Netflix spriggan anime. 👍

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I liked the Netflix spriggan anime. 👍

It rocked honestly

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMqi2ZVFnY

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I remember seeing that Commodore Perry episode with the double subtitles when I first watched it over a decade ago, but I didn't see it when I started watching again this year. Maybe I need a different fansub?

It rules that when they finally released an official translation of the first season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei in English, they felt compelled to include a 300 page booklet explaining the jokes.

I'm trying to make it to the end of the entire series and some segments are just baffling. Still looks cool as poo poo, pretend I posted some of the OPs with correct English subtitles since as far as I can tell they all get removed except for a few and all that's left is stuff in Spanish or incorrect English translations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6ILOXQOhQ

Orb Crabmelt has issued a correction as of 12:52 on Aug 31, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I watched the first season of Overlord. Not great. There's a lot of really great protentional, and I like the Nazarick cast. But it's executed so poorly. There's so much talk of the different classes of adventurer, but he skips most of them. They spend three episodes with this adventuring group he hooks up with, and then they all die. It doesn't advance Momonga's character at all and in terms of plot all that knowing those people does is get him connected with the alchemist, but he already was one degree of separation from him because he saved the guy's love interest in the beginning!

One thing that was really disappointing was how magic works basically the same in the world and in the game. Early on his spell acts differently from how he expected and I assumed that would be a big part of the show and world building. But it basically doesn't come up again. And the real people even talk about magic the same way, they talk about "level 7 spells" and "world items" too! During the final battle with Shaltear, Momonga dramatically says "I used a cash shop item" but he's talking to a character from the game! That's only a badass line if he's talking to a real person who does not expect magic to work like a video game!

I don't think I'm gonna watch the next season. Instead I'm gonna watch a good Isekai.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Gripweed posted:

I don't think I'm gonna watch the next season. Instead I'm gonna watch a good Isekai.

I've got some bad news...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Retromancer posted:

I've got some bad news...

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! has an anime