Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I would love it if you came and joined the ice cream thread. Also, David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sorbet is incredible and guaranteed to improve any summer party :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a cleaver?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

obi_ant posted:

It's going to depend on your use case. Are you going to use it primarily/solely for vegetables? Boneless meats? Do you need something that can hack through bones?

People who post regularly in the knife thread might be able to give you some good recommendations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

I can’t suggest any one brand or model, but just make sure it has a straight bevel. I bought a particular henkels one because it looked cool but it had a convex bevel and it sucks at chopping, doesn’t penetrate well

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

People seemed to be real hot on the cck cleaver, but it’s doubled in price since last time I saw discussions about it so not sure if people would buy it over options at that price

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brother Tadger posted:

People seemed to be real hot on the cck cleaver, but it’s doubled in price since last time I saw discussions about it so not sure if people would buy it over options at that price
That also depends on whether you want a Chinese cleaver or a meat cleaver

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

It's going to depend on your use case. Are you going to use it primarily/solely for vegetables? Boneless meats? Do you need something that can hack through bones?

People who post regularly in the knife thread might be able to give you some good recommendations.

Maybe something that can go through bone? I asked my wife to purchase some pork and she purchased a stupidly large sirloin with the bone in. I'm going to borrow someone's large knife for the time being, but I figured it would be good to have one and purchase large cuts of meat like this so I can chop them up. Is my line of thinking correct? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That just looks like a bent blade

mystes
May 31, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That just looks like a bent blade
It's just not completely perpendicular to the camera, that's not what they're talking about. They're talking about the blade profile which you can see at the top of the image, which is a convex grind rather than a flat grind

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 27, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a cheap knife that I've been experimenting with for this sort of thing - it's a long chef knife that I don't care about and I've been sharpening it with a steeper angle (around 20-30deg) at the tip and it tapers to quite a broad, durable angle near the heel (maybe closer to 40deg). The idea being that you can use the heel of it for going through joints and such and use the tip for more delicate work. I assume there's a reason that you don't get this kind of thing on real knives and it's probably that there's a better tool for both jobs, but it's fun to play with.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lawnie posted:

I’ve been making black chocolate custard lately. You can get black cocoa from King Arthur’s website, I use a heaping tablespoon per pint. Err on the side of more sugar, it tends to need the extra sweetness since it’s so rich. It basically tastes like Oreo cookie, minus cream filling, in ice cream form. Best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had.

I took this advice and picked up some black cocoa powder. Made black chocolate and orange gelato, using my regular custard recipe and substituting the lemon peel for orange peel. I took the peel out before cooling the custard in the fridge, as it had already produced a fairly strong orange flavor. I also added a quarter teaspoon of instant espresso powder, and I used two tablespoons of black cocoa powder like you suggested.

Tasted it last night and it was good, definitely B+ tier, but I tasted it again this morning and after a full night’s rest in the freezer it’s definitely an A tier flavor.

Next time I’ll make it without the orange peel, and maybe with a bit of salt to help bring out the chocolate flavor more.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChyDQVWgKnF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

I took this advice and picked up some black cocoa powder. Made black chocolate and orange gelato, using my regular custard recipe and substituting the lemon peel for orange peel. I took the peel out before cooling the custard in the fridge, as it had already produced a fairly strong orange flavor. I also added a quarter teaspoon of instant espresso powder, and I used two tablespoons of black cocoa powder like you suggested.

Tasted it last night and it was good, definitely B+ tier, but I tasted it again this morning and after a full night’s rest in the freezer it’s definitely an A tier flavor.

Next time I’ll make it without the orange peel, and maybe with a bit of salt to help bring out the chocolate flavor more.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChyDQVWgKnF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I’ve been meaning to add espresso powder, thanks for the reminder! Glad you liked it. I think next I’m going to try experimenting with making some sort of fudge ribbon/swirl thing. I’ll check The Perfect Scoop but if anyone else has a foolproof recipe, I’m all ears.

I’m just gonna cross post this back to the ice cream thread, fwiw

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone have advice on keeping pots and pans organized in a cabinet? I was looking at this, but reviews say it's flimsy and wobbly, and also this, but reviews say it's flimsy, wobbly, and overpriced.

mystes
May 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have advice on keeping pots and pans organized in a cabinet? I was looking at this, but reviews say it's flimsy and wobbly, and also this, but reviews say it's flimsy, wobbly, and overpriced.
I have one like the first one (that I use horizontally; vertical looks pretty dubious) and it's fine.

I guess the one I have is this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYK77HR/

It's nothing special but it works ok

I also have a vertical rack thing on the cabinet door for at least thinner metal pot lids but it's hard to get thicker pot lids in it

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 30, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I need to slice about 40 pounds of cheese for sandwiches from institutional ~5 pound bricks . I don't have a deli slicer, nor do I know anyone who works in a grocery store to slice it for me. Is any solution that isnt a deli slicer going to be equivalently horrible?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

I need to slice about 40 pounds of cheese for sandwiches from institutional ~5 pound bricks . I don't have a deli slicer, nor do I know anyone who works in a grocery store to slice it for me. Is any solution that isnt a deli slicer going to be equivalently horrible?

That is going to be absolutely miserable if you don’t at least order/go get a cheese cutting board. For like $15-$25 you can get a mini cutting board with a built in wire on a hinge. Doing 40lbs is still going to suck, but I cannot imagine trying to do it with a knife.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Those cheese boards with a wire will absolutely not hold up to 40 lbs of cheese. At least in my experience.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think you have to meet a deli guy. Have some cash and a good story

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

maybe one of those guillotine paper cutters? what horrific thing are you even doing with all that cheese

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Shred it - ideally you have a Cuisinart or kitchenaid and can automate it. Even if it would be better to have slices for sandwiches or whatever, shredded cheese will work and the job won't be impossible. If it's for a million hot sandwichs/burgers it will make 0 difference.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

Shred it - ideally you have a Cuisinart or kitchenaid and can automate it. Even if it would be better to have slices for sandwiches or whatever, shredded cheese will work and the job won't be impossible. If it's for a million hot sandwichs/burgers it will make 0 difference.
yeah this seems like the right answer

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Comedy option: Will a cheese sauce work? Get a jar of sodium citrate and make 40 lbs of cheese sauce instead. How many large stock pots do you have access to?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm travelling to do a variety of grilled cheese sandwiches at a festival-like event. Slices gives me the benefit of easy portioning. I might have to go shredded and deal with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would try to pay off the kid at the deli counter

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I'm travelling to do a variety of grilled cheese sandwiches at a festival-like event. Slices gives me the benefit of easy portioning. I might have to go shredded and deal with it.

Once I started shredding for my grilled cheeseseses, I never went back to slicing. They just seem to melt better, even with more cheese.

They are also more likely to have some overhanging shreds melt down onto the griddle and brown, which is superior as long as your griddle is nonstick enough to release it.

Understood on the quick and easy portioning for slices, except that I’d bet any non-deli-slicer slicing option is gonna be pretty far from perfectly consistent anyway.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I just finished watching this video where he makes what looks like an amazing grilled cheese using shredded cheese, and it seems the shredded is also pretty nice for storage and portioning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrcE1761k2A

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s really not ideal for portioning because volume to weight is really inconsistent. And I doubt he wants to weight out every portion for each sandwich.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shredded also takes up a lot more volume which is not a little thing when you’re dealing with a ten gallon hat’s worth of cheese

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I got an Ankarsrum mixer so now I have to make like 3,000 loaves of bread to make it a worthwhile expenditure, 3 down 2997 to go.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Random Hero posted:

I just finished watching this video where he makes what looks like an amazing grilled cheese using shredded cheese, and it seems the shredded is also pretty nice for storage and portioning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrcE1761k2A

it's poo poo for storage, you expand the volume it takes up and greatly (grately?) increase its surface area for exposure to air. Also pretty sure cheese is hygroscopic, which is why they dust those bags of cheese shreds with cellulose or starch, to keep them dry and from sticking back into a clump.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Seriously considering a $100 deli slicer from Amazon. It obviously won't be good equipment, but it will probably be good enough. And if I can resell it for $50, that's the price of bribing a deli guy (if I could make that happen)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Seriously considering a $100 deli slicer from Amazon. It obviously won't be good equipment, but it will probably be good enough. And if I can resell it for $50, that's the price of bribing a deli guy (if I could make that happen)

Probably by far the best option. I have a $100 deli slicer from Amazon, and you’ll probably be fine. It’s two major weaknesses are:

1. The thinnest it can reliably slice is a little thicker than regular bacon. Should be about perfect for a good cheese slice though

2. It’s pretty slow. I definitely can’t just slide stuff back and forth as fast as I want to like you see at a deli counter. Maybe 3 seconds for a full travel of the carrier. It will still be MASSIVELY faster than trying to do any other method discussed.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"Maybe it's worth checking ebay for ex-commerc..."

And then I looked at the prices on ebay, jesus. Might still be worth a look though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

"Maybe it's worth checking ebay for ex-commerc..."

And then I looked at the prices on ebay, jesus. Might still be worth a look though.

If you're in a major city, you may have restaurant auction groups that can let that poo poo go for super cheap.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you're in a major city, you may have restaurant auction groups that can let that poo poo go for super cheap.

I spend about seven days a week at restaurants doing tear downs after auction. Can't say how many times I've sold something for 1000x what I got it for.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You might be able to look up a kitchen rental service as well.

mystes
May 31, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

You might be able to look up a kitchen rental service as well.
Seems excessive to rent a whole kitchen just for a slicer

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
tools thread, is there such a thing as a mesh strainer that uses mesh on par with french presses (as in the coffee device), and if so, what is the words that I need to use to invoke them?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chinois? China cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If anyone was thinking of buying a Thermoworks product you really should just sign up to their mailing list. They have 15% to 25% sales every other week it seems. I almost regret buying my Thermapen One for just 15% off when prices are so regularly lower.