Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cowboy beepboop posted:

it's because in most places the bus is strictly worse than a car. poor frequencies mean you have to learn a timetable, it's stuck in the same traffic as all the other cars and it stops all the time so it's slower. oh and most bus shelters are miserable places to wait for a bus.
it doesn't have to be this way obviously, there are things called 'bus lanes' and running a bus more than once every hour or so or building nice little buildings for people waiting. I think when people want 'light rail' they really mean they want all this good stuff they don't care if the bus has metal or rubber wheels

this isn't really true for buses in the city .. they all have the schedules linked to google/apple so you know when the next one is coming, your phone tells you which bus to take and which stop to get out or transfer, it's more comfortable to travel in a bus whether there's traffic or not, and when you factor in not having to park or walk to the parking spot you come ahead on time for sure.

just my 0.2 miles :iiaca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's at least somewhat objectively more comfortable to travel in a car if just because of the contoured, plush seat and the control over your immediate surroundings (e.g., air conditioning, stereo, personal space). You also have (the illusion of) control, so I can see why people would be put off by a bus, where you have to just sit there and deal with the effects of traffic (stop and go) while probably being less comfortable than in your car and typically taking longer, sometimes much longer, to get to your destination, which may not even be near where you get off the bus.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

yeah but I can't post while I drive

or, well, I shouldn't

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

some plague rats posted:

This is an insane approach to public works! Over here we have massive trees lining roads everywhere and power poles are solid concrete and sunk into the ground. I've been called to a bunch of car/pole impacts and every time the car loses, badly. having the poles break away is a bigger hazard! You're dropping live wires onto the loving street!! jesus christ!

oh yeah tree lined roads we used to have those. They were actually nice to travel - in a car, a bike or walk. a big oak canopy shading the road. but cars got bigger, faster and more of them so the trees had to go and now it it's scorching sun for everyone (except cars, who have sun visors and climate control)

and don't worry about live wires, rubber is a great insulator and nothing is out there that matters except cars anyway.

I took doggo for a walk through a neighborhood with a 25mph limit. Most things are on flimsy sheet metal mountings so i didn't bother.

first off, we've got our radar gun so you can make sure you're driving safely see how much speed you can gather between the main road and the radar.

oh look, it's sheer bolts!

next we've got the light pole, because a sodium halide lamp shining in your bedroom window all night long is a small price to pay on the off chance a car needs to drive in the neighborhood without bothering to turn on their lights

oh look, the fake plastic skin is hiding a sheer point where it touches the ground, shocker. sorry i didn't get a better picture, doggo spotted someone and really wanted to go say hi

what's that pup? You found a lamp post that's a solid steel pole driven directly into a concrete footer with no sheer point?

yup, because it's in the park walkway well away from cars.

park has biiiiigggg old oak trees, hundreds of years old. hundreds of feet from the road too! weird how they just stopped growing anywhere near where a road would be built centuries later.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

As a long-time lurker and admitted Grand N00bian to the anti-car movement, this thread has been both funny and informative. I’m not exactly sure why FYAD has been making fun of you guys so much recently

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
there are plenty of places with nice big trees right on the road in the US...but yeah in the past couple decades more and more get hosed up as they widen things.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

oh yeah tree lined roads we used to have those. They were actually nice to travel - in a car, a bike or walk. a big oak canopy shading the road. but cars got bigger, faster and more of them so the trees had to go and now it it's scorching sun for everyone (except cars, who have sun visors and climate control)

and don't worry about live wires, rubber is a great insulator and nothing is out there that matters except cars anyway.

I took doggo for a walk through a neighborhood with a 25mph limit. Most things are on flimsy sheet metal mountings so i didn't bother.

first off, we've got our radar gun so you can make sure you're driving safely see how much speed you can gather between the main road and the radar.

oh look, it's sheer bolts!

next we've got the light pole, because a sodium halide lamp shining in your bedroom window all night long is a small price to pay on the off chance a car needs to drive in the neighborhood without bothering to turn on their lights

oh look, the fake plastic skin is hiding a sheer point where it touches the ground, shocker. sorry i didn't get a better picture, doggo spotted someone and really wanted to go say hi

what's that pup? You found a lamp post that's a solid steel pole driven directly into a concrete footer with no sheer point?

yup, because it's in the park walkway well away from cars.

park has biiiiigggg old oak trees, hundreds of years old. hundreds of feet from the road too! weird how they just stopped growing anywhere near where a road would be built centuries later.

lol go drat lego set looking rear end suburb

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think it's way more comfortable to be on the bus because i don't have to drive or think about driving. i can read, or post, or just zone out.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Master posted:

As a long-time lurker and admitted Grand N00bian to the anti-car movement, this thread has been both funny and informative. I’m not exactly sure why FYAD has been making fun of you guys so much recently

FYAD has terminal car brain.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

FYAD has terminal car brain.

Wasn't Barnacle Jim (RIP) a Big Bicycle Guy?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

some plague rats posted:

lol go drat lego set looking rear end suburb

it's awful and the houses are worse, the bland stucco-on-stick cowturds you see everywhere. the literal only upside is that it's somewhat close to the commuter rail.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

20 Blunts posted:

there are plenty of places with nice big trees right on the road in the US...but yeah in the past couple decades more and more get hosed up as they widen things.

On the rail trail that I commute to both of my jobs it has always felt at least 10 degrees cooler during the summer because of all the tree cover. I don't usually start sweating until I get off of it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

who cares they suck

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

It's a subforum for people with loving Your Automobile Disorder (so basically average americans and Elon Musk)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1564612631922708494

I lived around a mile from my elementary and high schools, and it would have been a lovely ride, except the road connecting our house to the schools was one of those long, wide, suburban ones where everyone goes 45mph and nobody pays attention because they drive that stretch 50 times daily and are bored out of their minds

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
[boomerishly] back in my day i used to walk 15 miles through the snow and woods to get to school, you kids have it so easy

*woods have been paved into into a massive tract-house dystopia sprawl with unconnecting cul-de-sacs and an 8-lane highway with 50-mph arterial roads where everything is instant-child death hot lava with one misstep*

mystes
May 31, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1564612631922708494

I lived around a mile from my elementary and high schools, and it would have been a lovely ride, except the road connecting our house to the schools was one of those long, wide, suburban ones where everyone goes 45mph and nobody pays attention because they drive that stretch 50 times daily and are bored out of their minds
lol of course the first responses is ~but think of the minorities~

https://twitter.com/MickiMaynard/status/1564614521431400453

(not sure at all how that is supposed to be relevant to this comparison)

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Aug 31, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
if anyone hasnt seen it, the san francisco 1906 video is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skILpcoNNuQ

it was such a better city back then

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

i think the city burned down like 2 days after this was shot

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

i think the city burned down like 2 days after this was shot

4 days to be precise but ya

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

This looks cool on film but I imagine all the horses were making GBS threads in the road constantly and it was generally extremely foul

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lib and let die posted:

Wasn't Barnacle Jim (RIP) a Big Bicycle Guy?

the big face guy actually

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

This looks cool on film but I imagine all the horses were making GBS threads in the road constantly and it was generally extremely foul

well i mean ny and sf smells like poo poo and piss and they dont even have horses anymore so well, cant really say things have improved much

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's at least somewhat objectively more comfortable to travel in a car if just because of the contoured, plush seat and the control over your immediate surroundings (e.g., air conditioning, stereo, personal space). You also have (the illusion of) control, so I can see why people would be put off by a bus, where you have to just sit there and deal with the effects of traffic (stop and go) while probably being less comfortable than in your car and typically taking longer, sometimes much longer, to get to your destination, which may not even be near where you get off the bus.

When London Transport (as it then was) was designing the classic London Bus - the Routemaster - in the early 1950s they explicitly intended it to have many of the features of a contemporary car for exactly this reason. So it had plush seats with part moquette/part leather coverings, very effective heating and ventilation, and great effort was put into the choice of interior colours and the interior lighting - muted, warm-tone colours that not only hid dirt and tobacco smoke but gave the cabin a welcoming and upmarket appearance. Same with the lighting; the lamps were carefully placed, and the lampshades carefully designed, to make sure the interior was well lit without being harsh. They employed interior designers to work on things like the handrails, the lino floor tiles and the Push to Stop bell buttons to give them the same level of style and 'finish' as a car interior.

Then the Routemaster had aircraft-style unitary construction (so it was very light for a double-decker bus) and independent suspension, so it had a very smooth and absorbent ride, huge effort was put into isolating the engine vibration from the cabin and it had a fully automatic transmission so it wouldn't jerk and jolt the passengers.

Basically it was designed to be a giant communal car, with the principle that buses in London were for everyone and, equally, even if you couldn't afford to get on the car ownership boom that was gathering pace at the time, that didn't mean that your bus couldn't be comfortable, high-tech or designed with a bit of care and style.

Contrast that with most city buses today, which are seemingly specced with the view that you only take the bus because something's gone wrong in your life and you're not trustworthy or deserving of nice things. They're also usually designed down to a price and not up to an ideal, so you have thin, hard seats trimmed in nasty primary-colour fabric, hard plastic floors, bare metal rails and surfaces, harsh fluorescent lighting and the bus usually has rock-hard suspension and a screaming high-speed engine under the floor that rattles the windows.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Another car free day, checked out a new pedestrian and cycling bridge that just opened (which is awesome but I don't actually ride over it for my commute).

Something about my velomobile really does short-circuit carbrain, because I get almost universal positive reactions from drivers when I'm in it vs. when I'm on a normal bicycle where cars either pretend to not see me or intentionally try to run me over for sport. I don't know if they think I'm disabled, or if they think it's actually a car of some kind.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
actually nvm

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Aug 31, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blackhawk posted:

Something about my velomobile really does short-circuit carbrain, because I get almost universal positive reactions from drivers when I'm in it

Maybe it's because people are probably hesitant to interrupt a clown's funeral

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BalloonFish posted:

Contrast that with most city buses today, which are seemingly specced with the view that you only take the bus because something's gone wrong in your life and you're not trustworthy or deserving of nice things. They're also usually designed down to a price and not up to an ideal, so you have thin, hard seats trimmed in nasty primary-colour fabric, hard plastic floors, bare metal rails and surfaces, harsh fluorescent lighting and the bus usually has rock-hard suspension and a screaming high-speed engine under the floor that rattles the windows.
To be fair, at least in america, public transit has to be extremely robust because it gets hosed up, trashed, and used as a toilet; as public goods only exist to get trashed because i'm the only person who matters. we used to have cloth seats on BART and only very recent replaced them with plastic seats because they got so grody with piss and poo poo-stains that you just can't clean or feasibly replace every seat with a new one every day. light has to be bright, seats have to be hardened plastic so you can just hose them down with bleach and a towel, floors need to be hard plastic so they can be hosed down too, no nooks for trash to collect, metal needs to be used because its easier to clean off scratches/paint by a simple power tool, etc. most design considerations for transit here aren't exactly about cost but rather "how the gently caress do we maintain this from perpetually being stained with poo poo and smashed to pieces" so instead of a lot of thought about comfort, it's a lot of thought about making it as durable, undamageable, and repairable as possible

like it sucks but that's what happens when your society is as beyond alienated, spiritually sick, and deranged as america. liz bruenig is right.

edit: no excuse about suspension or noise though. although i cant say i notice busses having bad suspension.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:17 on Aug 31, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

it's pros and cons, definitely, but it's much nicer for me (an I suspect most people) to give up control and let the bus driver 'take the wheel' .. Let them deal w traffic and shithead drivers, I'm posting w my pals in the meantime :coolfish:

maybe I'm spoiled by the bus system in chicago which is prompt, thorough, and highly convenient.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

maybe I'm spoiled by the bus system in chicago which is prompt, thorough, and highly convenient.

Any time I’ve ever visited Chicago I either flew in and got a Ventra card at the airport, or parked my car where I was staying and for a Ventra card. Way easier to just take transit than it is to drive there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

some plague rats posted:

Maybe it's because people are probably hesitant to interrupt a clown's funeral

lmao

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Blackhawk posted:

Another car free day, checked out a new pedestrian and cycling bridge that just opened (which is awesome but I don't actually ride over it for my commute).

Something about my velomobile really does short-circuit carbrain, because I get almost universal positive reactions from drivers when I'm in it vs. when I'm on a normal bicycle where cars either pretend to not see me or intentionally try to run me over for sport. I don't know if they think I'm disabled, or if they think it's actually a car of some kind.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
going out to ride my normal bicycle to the doctors today. i finally used my Specialized Pizza Rack for its ostensible purpose on over the weekend

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm so overdue for a good bike ride

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Any time I’ve ever visited Chicago I either flew in and got a Ventra card at the airport, or parked my car where I was staying and for a Ventra card. Way easier to just take transit than it is to drive there.

last time I checked ventra card prices at the airport are a bit higher than getting one from another station or online

CTA service was real spotty through the pandemic up until recently, think they managed to hire more bus drivers finally

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

same

maybe today!

note: I do a bad bike ride (to work and back) every day

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Xaris posted:

lol even back then cars were an absolute menace, weaving around like madmen to get just one length in front

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Harik posted:

lol even back then cars were an absolute menace, weaving around like madmen to get just one length in front

The "When the Cars Came" episode of The Dollop has a lot of good anecdotes from the introduction of cars. My favorite was that the introduction of police into intersections to direct traffic didn't do anything at first because there was no standardization of hand signals yet - so when the cop would stand there with his hand palm up trying to signal STOP to a driver they'd just think he was waving at them and wave back as they plowed on through past him lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Harik posted:

otoh it really shows how much of a difference it makes to just have cars go much slower. It's interesting to imagine how different things would be If the proposal to require governors had succeeded

If nothing else, if cars were limited to 20mph and had to weave around pedestrians, they would just be a lot less appealing as an option in cities and that itself would be hugely beneficial

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Aug 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I had a great one today! And yesterday infact