Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Thanks for that, I’ve been waiting for something like that. Preordered immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
They even got rid of the overhanging buttons so it looks less like a transformer. :allears:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rexxed posted:

hybrid optical switches (not sure if hybrid stands for a model name, that the switches are some kind of hybrid optical/mech switch, or that only some switches are optical).

They're using "hybrid" to refer to the switches being mech/optical hybrids, but that's not anything unusual, all optical mouse switches still have a mechanical element to provide tactile feedback and reset the switch after you let go. The important part is that the mechanical element isn't responsible for detecting clicks, since that's the usual failure point that leads to false doubleclicks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The older of my 2 G700s now has a failed side-button that I probably can't fix, so I'm relieved that logitech is finally doing a revamp and moving into the optical switch era. I was worried that both of them would crap out first, and I'd be deciding between the bad logi switches or mice with inferior features.

(The combo of things I care about -- wireless, a few extra buttons, on-board profiles, and linux -- have very few options, with only logi making the cut on all of them. The trend for ultralights in particular has vastly reduced the number of extra-buttons models.)

$140 is a stupid price though.

VVV edit: yeah they go on perma-sale in retail after a bit, but price inflation is definitely happening

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 31, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, the original G502 lightspeed was expensive, too. I got mine for $90 and $100 each, though. New mice don't come up in the Logitech sales as often but after a year or two they often get included in the decent sales they tend to run a few times a year. I mean $100 or more for a mouse is pricey when I was previously used to spending $50 or less for a wired one, but it seems like adding one of the fast wireless transceivers to an existing mouse adds around 50 bucks to the price. I know it's not just the wireless technology but also a battery and charging circuit, etc.

Either way, I'm glad that we're seeing where they're headed with optical switches and USB-C on top of their really resilient wireless stuff. Software is always kind of poo poo (I remember SetPoint being okay back in the day but it was minimal) but being able to set them up for onboard is always useful.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'll still pay it. Anyone want a barely used G903? :shepspends:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I just ordered the g502x+ even though my g502's been fine for the past 7 years, holy poo poo am i terrible with money. At least I can take the old g502 to work to replace the standard issue one they gave me

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I get to test a Basilisk V3 Pro for work and I do not expect to like it considering I daily drive a tiny G305

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 1, 2022

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I'm in the market for a new mouse, since my old MS wireless finally crapped out. Ideally I'd like something that isn't crazy expensive, but I'm definitely willing to lay out some money for quality. Desktop PC, used for both general purpose and gaming.

I have a preference for an ambidextrous mouse with a good scroll wheel. Don't care about LED stuff, but I also don't care if it has them. Same with extra buttons, I don't need them but I'd get used to them pretty easily if they were there. I'd say I have large hands and usually use a fingertip grip. Wireless is nice, but I wouldn't mind wired, especially if it means a lower cost. Any recommendations?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thread heavily leans towards only Logi and Razer, I'm not really a fan of either. My Steelseries Sensei was very good to me, isn't too gaudy or expensive, but is wired.
https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Sensei-Ten-Gaming-Mouse/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

I get to test a Basilisk V3 for work and I do not expect to like it considering I daily drive a tiny G305

Oh no, it feels amazing. The ability to toggle between tactile scrolling, free scrolling, or enable a hybrid mode is also so so good

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 1, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry I just have to share this poo poo because I wasn't expecting to cringe so badly from reading a support email

I'm sorry guys just sitting here trying to push out my maximum

mewse
May 2, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry I just have to share this poo poo because I wasn't expecting to cringe so badly from reading a support email

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lemony posted:

I'm in the market for a new mouse, since my old MS wireless finally crapped out. Ideally I'd like something that isn't crazy expensive, but I'm definitely willing to lay out some money for quality. Desktop PC, used for both general purpose and gaming.

I have a preference for an ambidextrous mouse with a good scroll wheel. Don't care about LED stuff, but I also don't care if it has them. Same with extra buttons, I don't need them but I'd get used to them pretty easily if they were there. I'd say I have large hands and usually use a fingertip grip. Wireless is nice, but I wouldn't mind wired, especially if it means a lower cost. Any recommendations?

With Logitech seemingly finally starting to make the move to optical switches, my advice right now would be to buy a $30-35 G305, which is probably the performance/$ king, and when that craps out in 1-2 years, come back here and buy an optical switch mouse that will last longer. At that point there will probably be a $40 optical switch G305 that will probably last a long-rear end time.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The new revolution is coming out soon also right? Why don't they just remake the first one, the best mouse of all time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VelociBacon posted:

What a weird thing for a supposed human to write. I feel like their manager was over their shoulders while they wrote it and he kept writing dumber and dumber poo poo before the manager nodded and walked away

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jokes posted:

What a weird thing for a supposed human to write. I feel like their manager was over their shoulders while they wrote it and he kept writing dumber and dumber poo poo before the manager nodded and walked away

I think a lot of these support people now are being tracked with the worst kind of metrics and they do poo poo like this (copy paste the ticket subject line into that prewritten blurb) to try to get a 5 star review from the customer.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

VelociBacon posted:

I think a lot of these support people now are being tracked with the worst kind of metrics and they do poo poo like this (copy paste the ticket subject line into that prewritten blurb) to try to get a 5 star review from the customer.

It almost reads like there was no human thought involved. Maybe a quick OK to a macro.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The best support reps use macros with their MMO mouse.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

They're also gamers, after all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

maybe it's a defense mechanism to try to make anyone using customer support realize that they're interacting with another human being. but i feel like identifying yourself as a fellow gamer only makes it more likely that you'll have racial slurs shouted at you.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Just wanna say, I really do enjoy having the choice between running a piece of malware that only sometimes works and causes system crashes, and having RGB always on and reducing battery life by 80%.

gently caress RGB, and gently caress RGB lovers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

K8.0 posted:

Just wanna say, I really do enjoy having the choice between running a piece of malware that only sometimes works and causes system crashes, and having RGB always on and reducing battery life by 80%.

gently caress RGB, and gently caress RGB lovers.

I would just like to let you know that I understand your frustration with your RGB and how it is constantly ruining your life I am also a gamer who wants to push out my maximum potential in gaming aided by tools that should be able to perform on par to my skills. Rest assured, we will be making sure that this feedback is heard and will not fall to blind eyes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OP I don't know your mouse but LEDs should not be using much if any battery at all so I dunno what to say about that.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I would just like to let you know that I understand your frustration with your RGB and how it is constantly ruining your life I am also a gamer who wants to push out my maximum potential in gaming aided by tools that should be able to perform on par to my skills. Rest assured, we will be making sure that this feedback is heard and will not fall to blind eyes.

Amazing

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

OP I don't know your mouse but LEDs should not be using much if any battery at all so I dunno what to say about that.

That's not true, LEDs are a huge drain on the battery. In my own testing on a Basilisk, just dropping the brightness from 15% to 5% almost doubled the battery life.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

runawayturtles posted:

That's not true, LEDs are a huge drain on the battery. In my own testing on a Basilisk, just dropping the brightness from 15% to 5% almost doubled the battery life.

I dunno if that's something to do with the RGB controller but LEDs take nearly no power. I guess it's relative to the overall power draw of a wireless mouse and not relative to components in wired electronics.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Viper Ultimate. It's the vast majority of the juice the mouse uses. Battery life is maybe 1.5 days with the LED on, 5-7 days with it off. You'd be shocked how little power mice use when they're sleeping, which is virtually all the time. Honestly the power usage is probably more from the mouse not being able to properly sleep and the RGB controller being on than the actual LEDs.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A certified Pro Post.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 3, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VelociBacon posted:

I dunno if that's something to do with the RGB controller but LEDs take nearly no power. I guess it's relative to the overall power draw of a wireless mouse and not relative to components in wired electronics.

The battery in razer's recent-ish high-end mice with internal li-ions is ~2500 mWh. So even if you're looking at something that takes a few 10s of mw, if you want it to run for over 10 hours that adds up. RGB leds are inherently less efficient than normal ones as well, unless you're asking for monochromatic pure R G or B.

Plus in most of these RGB mice there are many leds so they can do all the rainbow color chase effects. (The basilisk ultimate had 14 light zones, so 14 leds!)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Klyith posted:

The battery in razer's recent-ish high-end mice with internal li-ions is ~2500 mWh. So even if you're looking at something that takes a few 10s of mw, if you want it to run for over 10 hours that adds up. RGB leds are inherently less efficient than normal ones as well, unless you're asking for monochromatic pure R G or B.

Plus in most of these RGB mice there are many leds so they can do all the rainbow color chase effects. (The basilisk ultimate had 14 light zones, so 14 leds!)

Roccat (points to head): These 22 LEDs won't drain the battery if there is no battery to drain.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I WILL say that, with regards to RGB, I've found it increasingly obnoxious that the bigger companies have essentially killed the simple hard surface mousepad with the need to have RGB on everything. For instance, a company like Corsair used to sell the MM400 (a large polymer one-side mousepad) or the MM600 (a double-sided aluminum bodied pad with rubber corners). These were great, inexpensive, no-frills pads that were easy to pack in a bag, worked well on soft or irregular surfaces and, the case of the MM600, even worked well as a simple hard surface to rest a laptop on when using it in your lap or bed.

Now it seems like your primary options are to use a cloth pad or get something clunky and comparatively expensive with a power cable, USB passthru, and/or RGB module permanently attached. I think Logitech is currently one of the only big companies manufacturing and selling a simple hard surface mouse pad (the G440)...maybe Glorious still sells one too?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm tempted to find something to replace my G703 - I think it might be dying or at least damaged - I had a soda explode on me and I think some got in the mouse - I noticed the mousewheel LED started going all wonky and not transitioning smoothly between colours. That was weeks ago. Lately it seems like the mouse will randomly lose connection or experience some kind of hiccup, and that's even while wired. At the same time, it seems really inconsistent and hasn't been enough of a problem to drive me totally crazy that I need a new 100$+ mouse right this instant...

OctaMurk posted:

I just ordered the g502x+ even though my g502's been fine for the past 7 years, holy poo poo am i terrible with money. At least I can take the old g502 to work to replace the standard issue one they gave me
"oh that looks kinda nice... wtf 219$"

Granted it seems like wired options are cheaper - and I've barely used my 703 wirelessly.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
garth
it's a g502 with optical switches
and it's signaling to us
there is, a god
x be thy name
swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

edit: drat I'm late at knowing about this

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 11, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So what's the benefit of optical switches seeing as I doubt very much anyone ever approaches the end-of-life of mechanical switches? I'm assuming the big difference is that they last longer.

I mean I have a failing button on my deathadder but I don't think they'd be using optical switches on every single button on the mouse are they? On the G502?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

So what's the benefit of optical switches seeing as I doubt very much anyone ever approaches the end-of-life of mechanical switches? I'm assuming the big difference is that they last longer.

I mean I have a failing button on my deathadder but I don't think they'd be using optical switches on every single button on the mouse are they? On the G502?

they say that the mech switches logi and many others have been using for a long time were being used out of spec or something causing them to develop a double click issue, I personally have never had this problem, but my friend is utterly plagued by it.

side note, I like how logitech stole the thumb button idea from razer basilisk while also changing the pointy lmb and rmb design that razer shamelessly stole from the 502.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I assume you're talking about the new G502x? Is it hard to make the new thumb button do something other then DPI? Or will I have to run some logitech software to make it a macro or something?

e: or I guess that button is there on the old 502 as well?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VelociBacon posted:

There's videos and stuff out there explaining it in detail but the short explanation: mechanical switches are analog signals, the switches are designed for however many millions of clicks at X power consumption, manufacturers are running at a much lower Y power to save battery for wireless mice, this lower power combined with physical wear on the switch is causing issues with the analog signal. Optical switches remove the physical wear from the equation since you're not rubbing bits of metal together to transmit the signal anymore.

Every optical switch mouse I've seen so far only uses them on the primary buttons since they see the most failures, side buttons are still mechanical.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I assume you're talking about the new G502x? Is it hard to make the new thumb button do something other then DPI? Or will I have to run some logitech software to make it a macro or something?

e: or I guess that button is there on the old 502 as well?

talking about how the thumb button is a paddle like on the basilisk, though to a lesser degree.

also yeah you'll probably have to install the software to remap the thumb button and keep it installed, sadly, gone are the days of onboard memory I think.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 11, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

runaway dog posted:

talking about how the thumb button is a paddle like on the basilisk, though to a lesser degree.

also yeah you'll probably have to install the software to remap the thumb button and keep it installed, sadly, gone are the days of onboard memory I think.

Most new mice have onboard memory including the G502 X. It says 2 profiles or up to 5 with GHUB installed. You might need GHUB or the software that can edit and save to onboard memory (mentioned sometime in the last few pages, I forget the name) to set up the buttons, but you can turn on onboard memory when you're done. I leave GHUB on my system in case I want to change things and to get battery warnings but I leave my mice on onboard memory mode most of the time.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Most new mice have onboard memory including the G502 X. It says 2 profiles or up to 5 with GHUB installed. You might need GHUB or the software that can edit and save to onboard memory (mentioned sometime in the last few pages, I forget the name) to set up the buttons, but you can turn on onboard memory when you're done. I leave GHUB on my system in case I want to change things and to get battery warnings but I leave my mice on onboard memory mode most of the time.

oh sweet I didn't know it was back, last time I saw it was like the g700 or g9 can't remember though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Just waiting for the G604X; I sorely need the thumb buttons and bluetooth (makes it easy to switch between my laptop and desktop).