Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have been to... 7? nerd conventions since I resumed travelling with covid in November, and I'm doing 2 more before the end of this year.

Magic 30 would fall on the high side for a 3 day con, though not the highest. It has less than 10% of the programming of any of those others though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lord Banana posted:

I'm going to my first prerelease this weekend, and I was wondering what do I need to bring with me? Do I need sleeves and a play mat? Anything else?

I would bring:
Backpack to store your stuff
Playmat
Sleeves
Water
Some sort of snack (I usually bring cliff bars)
Pen and note pad - to track your life/create tokens/counters/etc
Nice to have: Regular dice, (these are also nice to have, but are very specific to MTG: https://www.amazon.ca/Gathering-Counter-Pokemon-Negative-Positive/dp/B07RQ9HHR4)
Depending on your level of OCD: Your own Basic Lands (or if you have cool basic lands you want to use in your deck). The Store you go to will absolutely have basic lands for you to use.

Have a good time, it's a very low stress environment!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Another random noob but not so noob question, do collectors edition boxes generally return value if you pay attention to card prices and move them at a good time frame, or is it more likely the box will be a wash? Also, do people give a poo poo about foreign language cards? My thing last time I was in for a block was to buy only japanese sealed product, and it ended up coming at a slight premium without much benefit value wise.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BabyRyoga posted:

Another random noob but not so noob question, do collectors edition boxes generally return value if you pay attention to card prices and move them at a good time frame, or is it more likely the box will be a wash? Also, do people give a poo poo about foreign language cards? My thing last time I was in for a block was to buy only japanese sealed product, and it ended up coming at a slight premium without much benefit value wise.

Sealed product never returns its value once opened because they are sold at above their expectant value:
If a shop could make money opening them, why would they sell them to you?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

no and no. you can maximize how much you get back but the EV is always negative

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the people who give a poo poo about foreign language cards are a very small minority, and most of them care enough to just source the cards themselves. the largest portion of mtg players just want to be able to read their cards lol. whether they choose to use that ability is another story.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BabyRyoga posted:

you should never ever expect to make money off of opening sealed product, especially sealed product you're buying at retail

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

I would bring:
Backpack to store your stuff
Playmat
Sleeves
Water
Some sort of snack (I usually bring cliff bars)
Pen and note pad - to track your life/create tokens/counters/etc
Nice to have: Regular dice, (these are also nice to have, but are very specific to MTG: https://www.amazon.ca/Gathering-Counter-Pokemon-Negative-Positive/dp/B07RQ9HHR4)
Depending on your level of OCD: Your own Basic Lands (or if you have cool basic lands you want to use in your deck). The Store you go to will absolutely have basic lands for you to use.

Have a good time, it's a very low stress environment!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll let you know how I do, been arena only for a few years so this will be my first paper experience since I was a child.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1564526521922076673?t=xuWeY8WpIzsErKh-JkXuTg&s=19

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That isn’t a bad thing. No one gives a poo poo about a random common that costs 5 for a 6/6, and no one wants to open a legendary 2/2 dog as their rare. Wild to see Karsten acting like because a 2/2 vanilla rare was playable at one point, that should be something we go back to.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

That isn’t a bad thing. No one gives a poo poo about a random common that costs 5 for a 6/6, and no one wants to open a legendary 2/2 dog as their rare. Wild to see Karsten acting like because a 2/2 vanilla rare was playable at one point, that should be something we go back to.

The game needs to appeal to both old and new players, and the more text on a card the less appealing it is to a new player. Sometimes you just need to show someone a Craw wurm.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Wild to see Karsten acting like because a 2/2 vanilla rare was playable at one point, that should be something we go back to.

Looks more like a humorous observation than a complaint about power creep to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

are you kidding me, if wotc reprinted isamaru it would be a lot of fun to open. also give us a cat version.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Guess my Muraganda Petroglyphs won't be spiking any time soon then. :sigh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

the more text on a card the less appealing it is to a new player

probably not no

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
new players famously knowing how good a card that does nothing is compared to a card that does things

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

While a card that "does things" is probably obviously better than a card that doesn't to a new player, I don't think it's hard to imagine walls of text being a bit intimidating to someone unfamiliar with the game. I've played several CCGs over the years and when you're first learning them there's definitely some squinty moments when you're trying to parse what a card actually does.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have a playgroup that all wants to trade. What's the best way to have a global "want list" online that everyone can just paste their list into? I was thinking Google Sheets and giving everyone a page, but I don't know if that's the best way. Preferably something no-frills, it doesn't even have to be for Magic specifically, could even be a group notepad where everyone can type what they want.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

the occasional vanilla creature at common is fine and can be kind of skill testing to figure out when they're actually a playable. i don't care if they have trinket ability text that basically does nothing instead of just being vanilla but sometimes the format just really wants you to play a douser of lights of wishcoin crab and that's ok with me.

edit: to be clear this is about limited, i think something like isamaru at rare probably wouldn't and shouldn't fly today

Big Ol Marsh Pussy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 31, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LifeLynx posted:

I have a playgroup that all wants to trade. What's the best way to have a global "want list" online that everyone can just paste their list into? I was thinking Google Sheets and giving everyone a page, but I don't know if that's the best way. Preferably something no-frills, it doesn't even have to be for Magic specifically, could even be a group notepad where everyone can type what they want.

Make a discord and give people their own Channels

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

While a card that "does things" is probably obviously better than a card that doesn't to a new player, I don't think it's hard to imagine walls of text being a bit intimidating to someone unfamiliar with the game. I've played several CCGs over the years and when you're first learning them there's definitely some squinty moments when you're trying to parse what a card actually does.

People getting into Magic in 2022 are doing it because it's a crazy game full of weird quirky poo poo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Magic: The Gathering is going to die because Magnigoth Sentry has Reach.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I assume the average new player in 2022 is more literate about game mechanics than one from 1992 from video and board games being much more present in society, so raising the complexity floor isn’t a bad thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've never double sleeved before, what's a good and inexpensive deckbox for a regular old 75 card modern deck double sleeved

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
basic rear end ultimate guard boxes are dirt cheap

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've never double sleeved before, what's a good and inexpensive deckbox for a regular old 75 card modern deck double sleeved

Most of the "pro" ones are big enough.
Just look at the smallest one and then get the next size up. like 4 bucks from ultra pro (as of like 2017). 10 bux gets you a fancier one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Don't start bad habits.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Boulder

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Boulder

Advise against.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
the coatings on the regular boulders tend to peel away really quickly - there's a series called the "return to earth" boulders that don't have that coating and are really nice ime. you may need to get the 100 count case if you use a double sleeved deck with a lot of tokens though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Don't start bad habits.

?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Don't start bad habits.

Double sleeving is for folks who want to play with cards under the illusion they are also going to keep them mint condition. It never works out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Double sleeving keeps foils flatter

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Double sleeving is a waste of time, money, and makes shuffling harder.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Double sleeving can protect the top edges of your cards from getting dinged when scooping up angrily after losing to a Tron player that just got lucky, drat them…

What kind of inner and outer sleeves you use may impact what boxes your deck can fit in. Some inner sleeves, like Dragon shield resealable inner sleeves, can add enough width to make things tricky.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Double sleeving is a waste of time, money, and makes shuffling harder.

This is a bananas take IMO. DS cards keeps them basically perfect. Tons of random grit gets into the tops of sleeves, even for someone who doesn't play that much paper like me (and yes, practices hygiene), and the inner sleeve keeps this off your card. It's also does help with foils, in my experience.

That being said, I can't argue that it's not a waste of time and money, because this still is MtG we are talking about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arivia posted:

are you kidding me, if wotc reprinted isamaru it would be a lot of fun to open. also give us a cat version.
cats already have plenty of representation, give us more dogs

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Magic: The Gathering is going to die because Magnigoth Sentry has Reach.
giant spider is now fully obsolete. Won't someone stop this power creep

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It isn't even a real goth

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I unironically wonder what statline a vanilla creature would need to be even worth considering in the slightest for constructed these days.
At this point I think the only way you could have that happen is an absurdly stated 1-drop, like an unconditional 3/3 for G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doesn't the tribal possibly matter and give an otherwise vanilla creature a boost, potentially? Depending on what else is in that set for example?

E.g. there was a time in the distant past admittedly, where basically any goblin I had went into my goblin deck and was made better solely due to goblin synergy. Perhaps those times are gone forever, never to return.

e. maybe a very rare creature type for which just one more creature makes a tribal deck possible?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 31, 2022