Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I pretty much started with that and failed 3 or 4 times until I came back to it and realized that if I got the die grinder in there and flattened the top of the bolt off I'd have a much better chance of a nut staying welded on. Worked the first time.

Now we're here and I've got a few hours of cleaning and "while you're in there" jobs to do, including cleaning out the hoses and kombi valves of this side of the goddamn SAI system:

That looks so much better than dealing with SAI on a goddamned DII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

That looks so much better than dealing with SAI on a goddamned DII

Can confirm. At least it's just one tube per head on the Cayenne.

gently caress DII SAI forever. It's, to no ones surprise, the very worst SAI implementation anyone ever came up with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Been chasing my tail trying to figure out random loss of power on my car. Went so far as to watch fuel pump duty cycle, fuel pressure, etc. It felt like it was either yanking timing or leaning out, but I couldn't find much wrong. It just falls over at random when trying to pass people on the highway, sometimes surges slightly while cruising.

Cried uncle and had Marty (of Marty Tune fame) do some remote diagnostics on it (laptop + tuner + hotspot). The SCT tuner has a far faster refresh rate than the no name OBD2 bluetooth adapter I was using with FORScan Lite. Basically saw it going a little lean, also noted the duty cycle for the fuel pump is considerably higher than it should be. His suggestions were an OEM Motorcraft fuel filter (which, surprisingly, Advance Auto carries for only a couple of bucks more than the Carquest brand filter, and has it in stock), new OEM fuel pump, and since I'm :homebrew: at that point anyway, NGK 4177 plugs (1 heat range cooler than stock - makes sense, as his tune is a bit more aggressive with timing - I'm running the stock part number Motorcraft plugs right now).

dissss posted:

TIL the generation 1 Leaf has polystyrene panels underneath the footwell carpets which are just perfect for trapping large amounts of water. Trying to chase down the leak is giving me flashbacks to my old 1990 Integra which I could never get to stay dry in rainy weather.

Tail light gaskets and cowl on the teg, right? With a side of sunroof drains? :sigh:

I was still able to get the gaskets new when I had my 91, but that was forever ago (and they were special order even back then).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

STR posted:

Tail light gaskets and cowl on the teg, right? With a side of sunroof drains? :sigh:

I was still able to get the gaskets new when I had my 91, but that was forever ago (and they were special order even back then).

Yes, yes and yes.

Also the trunk seal (was a sedan and water would pool in the corners by the rear window if you parked facing downhill) and around where the rear spoiler was bolted onto the trunk lid.

This was 2001ish so parts weren't an issue yet but I never managed to sort out the sunroof because the metal tray was rusted out around where the rear drains connected to it and I couldn't see any way of getting it out without removing the front or rear glass.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oof, yeah, rust isn't an issue I had to deal with. Mine was originally a GA car, bought it from a friend in the Atlanta area and he drove it out to TX for me (and had my 96 Civic with a blown engine shipped back).

Mine was a hatch, had it from 02-03. I never did get the goddamned cowl to stop making waterfalls happen from under the passenger side dash, but I got the sunroof draining properly and the taillights sealed up. I even got all the buttons and lights working on the climate control!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The plastic screws that secured the plastic cowl cover to the body of the car had individual plastic condom things that would leak when they aged.

Easy enough to replace but the parts were a couple of dollars each from Honda and took some time to arrive. I really wouldn't want to be owning a car that old nowadays because I doubt those sort of parts are still available.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced the super worn out sun visors in the EM1 and brought the interior up from a 9.5/10 to a 10/10. Next week, “the spot” gets fixed and then it’s done!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I replaced the front turn signal bulbs in my 239K mile 1993 Toyota Pickup. I think these might have been original. They said KOITO MADE IN JAPAN on the base.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PBCrunch posted:

I replaced the front turn signal bulbs in my 239K mile 1993 Toyota Pickup. I think these might have been original. They said KOITO MADE IN JAPAN on the base.

I purchased my 2000 civic Si from the original owner a couple of weeks ago and he told me no bulbs have been replaced on the car other than the bulb for the fog light button on the dash. In 22 years not even a headlight has blown out somehow. I should stock up on every number bulb for the upcoming bulbpocalypse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PBCrunch posted:

Most likely original.
I think there's still a smattering of Koito bulbs in my '79 RX-7. I still have the original Koito non-Halogen headlights stored from when I installed Halogens back in 199X. They clearly didn't sign on to the GE lightbulb conspiracy.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Forgot to put a grommit back when I was running wires for AFR and Boost so it was absolutley pouring water into the car in the front passenger footwell. Had to cut then stack a pair of them then RTV'd them in place. Once it cures it goes back together.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its not quite as old as some of y'all's stuff but my almost 14 year old Corolla has had the headlight bulbs replaced (with HIR bulbs) and has gone through several pairs over the years, but other than that I've only replaced one brake light bulb and that was.......3 years ago? Everything else, turn signals, other brake/tail light, all original.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I put Bosch Icon wipers on the Accord three years ago and they still work shockingly well, especially given high exposure to the Texas sun and lots of dry weather in general. Never had wipers last anywhere this long without getting brittle. They're only just now getting a little streaky.

edit: the Integra's OE bulbs also lasted a freakishly long time. IIRC I only had to replace them when I got to Texas, so like nine years? Not bad given I usually keep them on any time I'm driving because hoooooooooooly poo poo people do not see small black coupes

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 31, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Brake job on the EM1

Old gross poo poo; rear pads were new but the rotors were pretty crusty. The front rotors were extra crusty and the pads were low.

New hot poo poo. Rock Auto “Z23” kit with carbon ceramic pads

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nothing as demoralizing than working on something for 3-4 hours, fixing the issue (including testing it several times), and then have it gently caress up as you were wrapping up. Fuuuuuuuuck you something van door cable. Now the door is stuck open as a bonus since the cable didn't snap but has now bound up the pulley mechanism.

It'll be faster the next time, at least. :suicide:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Suburban Dad posted:

It'll be faster the next time, at least. :suicide:

Yeah, you know what tools, sizes etc you need. No going to the tool box 15 times because you got the wrong poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Upol raptor liner. Started at 10ish and done at 4:30.

I'm ready for a goddamn beer.

Remove everything, clean everything, start masking, scuff everything, mask the rest of the way and tent the whole truck, clean it all again, spray, wait, spray again, strip the masking off and admire.

There's more prep than a drat pride parade.

The wire lined masking tape is awesome, the lines are very crisp.

Edit, pay no attention to the goober in the reflection.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
so how do you clean up that kind of bed liner when you inevitably get it oily from car parts? painted metal and those plastic liners both scrub up pretty good, but idk about that texture

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

StormDrain posted:

Upol raptor liner. Started at 10ish and done at 4:30.

I'm ready for a goddamn beer.

Remove everything, clean everything, start masking, scuff everything, mask the rest of the way and tent the whole truck, clean it all again, spray, wait, spray again, strip the masking off and admire.

The wire lined masking tape is awesome, the lines are very crisp.

Edit, pay no attention to the goober in the reflection.

Prep for any sort of paint/coating is the bit that takes the longest. It's also the bit which sets you apart from lazy fuckers who have a lovely looking and no doubt inferior quality finish which will chip and fall off a LOT sooner. Looks good, you can be proud of that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looks drat good - I’d say that was 6 hours well spent

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

so how do you clean up that kind of bed liner when you inevitably get it oily from car parts? painted metal and those plastic liners both scrub up pretty good, but idk about that texture

We will see. Some spots where I sprayed too close are glossy, everywhere else got a pretty even texture because I fogged it from about 4' which gives it the nice dull coat. If it was glossier I'm sure it would clean easier. If it gets nasty and oily I'll live, if in a few years I could clean it up and coat it again. The whole kit was about $120. I'd prep it next time with a abrasive brush wheel thing.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 4, 2022

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
It looks nice, the prep work was worth it. Probably why it costs so much to get someone else to do it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
That looks fantastic.

Replaced a cheap fuel pump

with a slightly less cheap fuel pump

No more fuel starvation issue!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

StormDrain posted:

We will see. Some spots where I sprayed too close are glossy, everywhere else got a pretty even texture because I fogged it from about 4' which gives it the nice dull coat. If it was glossier I'm sure it would clean easier. If it gets nasty and oily I'll live, if in a few years I could clean it up and coat it again. The whole kit was about $120. I'd prep it next time with a abrasive brush wheel thing.

We did our Jeep's interior and it had similar gloss in the high areas. Once it cooks a few days in the sun, it completely evened out. It's held up well and I'm planning on using it on my trucks bumpers.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I put some coilovers on my Boobaru...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks nice! Did you get fired already?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mobby_6kl posted:

Feels like I'm missing some context here

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

:yikeseroo:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Feels like I'm missing some context here

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Thats my car. I hate my job so I've been doing goofy poo poo lately to see what I can get away with. I plan to get there early tomorrow so I can get a parking space right by the office.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What I thought was going to be a feeling of accomplishment ended up being a sad realization I'm going to have to replace the other one too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Got laughed at by the mechanic when I dropped my Sonata with a caved in drivers side off for an oil change. Ain't my fault the wait for the body shop was nearly three months buddy.

They're also supposed to be checking out what's causing a nasty rattle under boost in 4th and higher gears but predictably the car is not cooperating and is running dead silent today.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Installed a rear sway bar on the F56 MINI yesterday. Having access to a lift made things so much easier. I had to lower the rear subframe to snake the old bar out and new one in, but it was fairly straightforward.

It definitely works as advertised, the car rotates through the corners a lot better now, even though its on the softest setting.

And I'm just no noticing the missing bolt on the bumper. I wonder if it never made it on at the factory because the rear bumper has never been off the car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dropped the EM1 to get “the spot” fixed. The body shop says it will be done later this week; updated pics to come.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Dropped the EM1 to get “the spot” fixed. The body shop says it will be done later this week; updated pics to come.

They're going to keep it parked inside right :ohdear:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

opengl128 posted:

They're going to keep it parked inside right :ohdear:

It was inside the shop before I left the parking lot, but who’s to say after they’re done? I’m away for work the next two days but I might have my wife pick it up and leave her car sit there until I get back if they finish it before then.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/a/CGNFIYr

Loading up the trailer. Headed to Bowling Green tomorrow morning for LSFest. Going to run IN Rumble Index (hoping to Index around 11.00). Hoping ghr rain holds off this year. Hopefully my cousin can get a hood made for next year.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Nope. Not a peep from HR. Everyone thought the boob chicken was funny so nobody actually complained even when I parked it right next to the office door. I'm still driving around with those big tits on my hood. I'm betting that if I draw a boob cock with a massive set of hooters draped over a hard rear end dick with some pendulous balls involved that'll get some attention. Standby for that update.

In the meantime I got a junkyard trunk with a stock spoiler. Still enjoying the hell out of the look from the coilovers...

The ride is incredibly good considering how low it is. Gonna have to either roll the front fenders or bring it up a little though since it's rubbing like mad. Ripping the poo poo out of the tires ☹️

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I like those wheels.

Speaking of Subarus, the rear of my '03 Outback is *really* soft. I replaced all four corners when I got it a few years ago with name-brand quick struts, hoping that would stiffen it up a bit, but that didn't really make much of a change aside from the better bounce control from the new struts.
Did Subaru just use the lighter springs from the Legacy sedan and not account for the additional weight of the rear end end of the wagon or did they intentionally make it soft as poo poo? Ride height is fine. Does anyone make stiffer springs for the Outback? I don't need a lift (yet...) just a higher spring rate in the rear.

edit: it's also possible that the quick struts I got don't make any distinction between sedan and wagon.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 8, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
sounds like a job for H&R Spinebreakers :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Answering my own question, Rallitek in Oregon has 355 lb/in springs in 0.4" and 1" lift, which claim to be 18-20% and 40-45% stiffer than stock, respectively. Also stiffer front springs in 0"-1" lift, but I'm mainly after the rears.

Though... wouldn't taller springs of the same rate be less stiff?