Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i plant walnut trees as reparations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beto Male
Aug 26, 2022

by Pragmatica
easy solution: piss on the cops instead

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In the pictures the tree planters already had those anti-homeless bump things on them too lmao

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We’ve received reports homeless people are sleeping in Central Park so we will be dropping Agent Orange via helicopter over the entire area tonight around 8:00PM. Please keep your windows closed during this time, thank you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Finally, we made a park that we can enjoy without worrying about the homeless hanging around

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Finally, we made a park that we can enjoy without worrying about the homeless hanging around

Goddamn.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Beto Male posted:

easy solution: piss on the cops instead

If every homeless person pissed on cops, there would soon be no more homeless people.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They have started putting these signs up at intersections

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

how are professional middlemen supposed to make a living if people just give other people things

smh it's as if you don't like jobs

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
i've seen cities with phony parking meters for donating change

Kicked Throat has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Sep 4, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Greatbacon posted:

Nothing says quality of life like chopping down shade trees. :ironicat:

Note how the other option would have been installing and maintaining a public toilet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Note how the other option would have been installing and maintaining a public toilet.

which then becomes a mess unless you provide safe injection support nearby 24/7, which is even less politically palatable. it's almost like homeless people need homes of their own and not endless patronizing services but capitalist governments refuse to even provide the latter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why do that when you can donate to a local charity that is definitely not just a church that will tell them to use jesus to cure their addiction or gently caress right off

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Why do that when you can donate to a local charity that is definitely not just a church that will tell them to use jesus to cure their addiction or gently caress right off

in Utah the Mormons literally run the social safety net and a requirement for getting help is joining the church it’s hosed

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Arivia posted:

which then becomes a mess unless you provide safe injection support nearby 24/7, which is even less politically palatable. it's almost like homeless people need homes of their own and not endless patronizing services but capitalist governments refuse to even provide the latter.

Yeah, houses for the houseless is the obvious solution but that would create ~*~moral hazard~*~ as people might decide "hey wait why should I pay for a house if I can get one for free?" and then a whole sector of the economy based on extracting rents through exploiting people's basic physiological needs would lose their market power and collapse.

So instead we gotta maintain a houseless population to scare everyone else into paying their bills but we don't want them hanging around the people with even a semblance of political power as it might annoy or disturb them so we gotta turn the public spaces in the nice parts of town into hostile hellscapes and blame the houseless for why we can't have nice things.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Arivia posted:

Okay but what if we made our city so horrible that even desperate homeless people won't want to be here?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What if we made waking life lethal and hostile to anyone not in an expensive car

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pryor on Fire posted:

"keep the change" is actually clever in a horribly sinister way

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

What if we made waking life lethal and hostile to anyone not in an expensive car

Actually the climate disaster thread has a progress update for us on that one.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

McCracAttack posted:

Actually the climate disaster thread has a progress update for us on that one.
Musk thread to make it universal too

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Arivia posted:

Using homelessness as an implied threat to keep the proles working their lovely jobs is far too useful a tool for the ruling class.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I know someone who, when they stop at an intersection where someone is asking for money, leaves lots of room between them and the car in front of them. Then when the person comes to their window to show them a sign or whatever, they've got room to pull forward to get away from the person. It's a lot of work just to not give somebody money.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I know someone who, when they stop at an intersection where someone is asking for money, leaves lots of room between them and the car in front of them. Then when the person comes to their window to show them a sign or whatever, they've got room to pull forward to get away from the person. It's a lot of work just to not give somebody money.

Yeah but if you don’t do that you might have to interact with a homeless and see they’re human! The horror! Then I might need to confront what about me being comfy in a system that constantly cranks out a homeless population says about me and our society at large! You want me to spoil my brunch like that?!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Do homeless people in some places swarm cars like sucker fish on the side of a fish tank because I've never had the problem of them sticking to my windows and needing to "get away", they generally just walk past you if you're not rolling your window down to hand them some change.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Do homeless people in some places swarm cars like sucker fish on the side of a fish tank because I've never had the problem of them sticking to my windows and needing to "get away", they generally just walk past you if you're not rolling your window down to hand them some change.

some squeegee guys are weirdly aggressive

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Aug 31, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's one guy at an intersection near me that's written "COMPUTER REPAIR, VIRUS REMOVAL, TUNE-UP, $20!" on the electrical box he hangs out next to and he always makes me think "man that's totally gonna be me in like 10-20 years when they finally figure out how to automate away computer touching isn't it"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

some squeegee guys are weirder aggressive

Oh right squeegee guys, we don't have those here for some reason? At least I've never seen em' in Florida, maybe we have a particularly stupid law about it or maybe they just get shot more often here by angry white dudes... seen em' in Atlanta though so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The thing about homeless people is the majority of them have jobs, they just can't afford housing. Most of us probably interact with a homeless person on a weekly if not daily basis, the thing is they're selling us Slim Jims and Mountain Dew at the gas station rather than standing on the corner with a sign.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cutting down trees that add beauty and everyone enjoys in order to not allow homeless people from enjoying them is as close to a literal “Nose/ cut/spite/ face” scenario as you can get

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

hobbesmaster posted:

Are they weirdly aggressive or an appropriate level of aggressive for people inches from destitution

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah but if you don’t do that you might have to interact with a homeless and see they’re human! The horror! Then I might need to confront what about me being comfy in a system that constantly cranks out a homeless population says about me and our society at large! You want me to spoil my brunch like that?!

My buddies used to always rag on me for giving money to the homeless. "I can smell the street on you" (they would often give me a big hug).

We don't talk anymore.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Crypto.com: "Irreversible cryptocurrency transactions are the future. No need for courts or banks. Fortune favors the brave!"

Also Crypto.com: "We made a transaction mistake. Will those courts and banks please get our money back? With interest, preferably."

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1565025137690378241

:guillotine:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s weird but I’m way more annoyed by someone providing a service I didn’t want or ask for and then demanding payment then I am being asked for money just because. I mean I’ll still give money if I have any but leave my drat windshield out of this

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Doggles posted:

Crypto.com: "Irreversible cryptocurrency transactions are the future. No need for courts or banks. Fortune favors the brave!"

Also Crypto.com: "We made a transaction mistake. Will those courts and banks please get our money back? With interest, preferably."

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1565025137690378241

:guillotine:

Court gave Crypto.com a default judgement because the recipient failed to respond, and his reasoning is bullshit

quote:

Does an email link to court documents count as being served?
Buried in the absurdity of AU$10.5 million going missing without anyone at Crypto.com noticing is another eyebrow-raising facet of the case—regarding how court documents can be served digitally.

In the default judgment, there’s debate over whether Crypto.com did enough to reach Gangadory prior to the order.

The conflict arose because Gangadory could only have been served court documents if she had opened her personal email and clicked a OneDrive link to review them. Crypto.com’s legal team had to send the court documents through OneDrive, they say, because the file attachment was over 20 megabytes and thus too large for a Microsoft Outlook email attachment.

Eliott had some initial reservations about Crypto.com’s attempted substitute for its responsibility to serve court documents personally. When he attempted to click the OneDrive link months after it was created, he got an error message saying, “Sorry, the link has expired. The link was set to expire after a certain amount of time. Please contact the person who shared this link with you.”

Because the link had been set to expire after 30 days for security reasons, Elliott could not review the drive to confirm that the court documents had been sent. To clear up the confusion, Crypto.com’s lawyers had to show evidence that the documents had been uploaded to OneDrive, the link had remained active for 30 days, and their firm’s policy at the time was to set OneDrive links to expire in 30 days.
what the gently caress that the judge allowed that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

text editor posted:

what the gently caress that the judge allowed that

Golly it's almost as though court systems are stacked against citizens in favor of corporations

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Your honor we sent an email to the recipient an email with a request for money, a link to a hosted file, from a domain with crypto in the name. it's hard to believe she did not see that in her inbox

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's actually illegal to not click on phishing links now, what a world lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

evilpicard posted:

It's actually illegal to not click on phishing links now, what a world lol

That's about on par for Australia tbh

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Have we considered hunting the homeless for sport? Think of the licensing fees the government could charge! This is a way to generate revenue for local governments and solve the homeless crisis at the same time. Subscribe to my newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Retromancer posted:

Have we considered hunting the homeless for sport? Think of the licensing fees the government could charge! This is a way to generate revenue for local governments and solve the homeless crisis at the same time. Subscribe to my newsletter.

See the documentary Hard Target (1993) for more information