Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
In Sabretooth’s early appearances he’s always drawn as thin and wiry with tufts of fur around the wrist, legs and neck, but in the 90s he’s buff and barrel chested. Is there a storyline reason for this (like secondary mutation?)or is it just artistic license?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It is 99% likely it's just the 90s, but there was also a thing where certain appearances of Sabretooth were retconned to be an inferior clone version created by Mr. Sinister in connection to the whole Marauders thing, largely because certain people wondered why he could always beat Wolverine but got pwned by, say, Power Pack.

I always hated 80s Sabretooth because his costume seemed incredibly gross to me. It's hard to put it into words, something about the color scheme plus the fabric texture just seemed disgusting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CopywrightMMXI posted:

In Sabretooth’s early appearances he’s always drawn as thin and wiry with tufts of fur around the wrist, legs and neck, but in the 90s he’s buff and barrel chested. Is there a storyline reason for this (like secondary mutation?)or is it just artistic license?

I think that's just how Joe Mad drew him and it stuck. Even Rob, possibly surprisingly, drew him as skinny. (In hindsight Rob was just drawing him as a version of Mutant Liberation Front member Wildside.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sabertooth was getting drawn bulky well before Joe Mad was arting.

If anything, I'd put it on Jim Lee.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Sabertooth was getting drawn bulky well before Joe Mad was arting.

If anything, I'd put it on Jim Lee.

Lee certainly draws Creed buffer but not the man-mountain he'd become. I'd agree he started it, though. I forgot about ...Along Came Sabertooth.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

People were probably getting confused with Wild Chylde

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, this is Sabretooth's first appearance

He might be bigger in later stuff but that's like 90% of what I think Sabretooth is.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, this is Sabretooth's first appearance

He might be bigger in later stuff but that's like 90% of what I think Sabretooth is.

On the cover of Dareddvil 238 he looks muscular but not significantly more so than DD.

By the early 90s he’s looking more buffed up. Could be the costume itself though. The animated version is even more top-heavy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Someone who isn't phone posting dig up the first time he fought Wolverine, because I'm pretty sure he was beefy then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I draw it too artistic license and trying to make him more imposing. Also when he moved away from being an Iron Fist villain and to being a Wolverine villain is when the change mostly happened and I think artists just wanted to make him more intimidating when going up against Wolverine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I always liked the little elbow fins on Sabretooth's Jim Lee era costume although they felt like they'd be more appropriate for, like, a shark-themed villain.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

thetoughestbean posted:

DC has a weird habit of letting their classics run out of print. Sure, you can get whatever Batman story from five years ago you want but you can’t get the physical version of New Teen Titans volume 1, an absolute classic

I’ve been buying the New Teen Titans trades and volume 9 isn’t available for love or money.

I think it was in print for a month. You can get any volume but that one.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Alan Davis drew Sabretooth as big (bigger than Wolverine at any rate) in his first full X-Book appearance, one of his first dozen appearances overall in 1987

https://twitter.com/coolcomicart/status/825471101614465025?lang=en

He's listed as 6'6" and 275 lbs in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition published in 1986 (up from 6'2"/250 in the 1983 edition) so I guess he bulked up significantly at some point, but it was way before Lee, Madiuera, or any of the Image era guys got ahold of him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whatever his size and weight are I think just the fact he has way less fur trim on his costume as time goes on makes him more menacing. Those first two covers he's got the vibe of a ski bunny or poodle or in that DD cover at first glance he reminded me of Squirrel Girl.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lobok posted:

in that DD cover at first glance he reminded me of Squirrel Girl.

I was gonna say the same thing! But then didn't post it and now I feel bad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I’ve been buying the New Teen Titans trades and volume 9 isn’t available for love or money.

I think it was in print for a month. You can get any volume but that one.

Ask me about waiting 6 years for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out. It will never come out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Madkal posted:

Ask me about waiting 6 years for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out. It will never come out.

What’s it like waiting for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lobok posted:

Whatever his size and weight are I think just the fact he has way less fur trim on his costume as time goes on makes him more menacing. Those first two covers he's got the vibe of a ski bunny or poodle or in that DD cover at first glance he reminded me of Squirrel Girl.

He was wearing Ugg before it was cool

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s it like waiting for Spectre Vol. 3 to come out?

It sucks and I have gone through the several steps of grieving and am on acceptance (that it will never come out)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Rochallor posted:

It is 99% likely it's just the 90s, but there was also a thing where certain appearances of Sabretooth were retconned to be an inferior clone version created by Mr. Sinister in connection to the whole Marauders thing, largely because certain people wondered why he could always beat Wolverine but got pwned by, say, Power Pack.

That reminds me of some Sabretooth trivia where supposedly EVERY year he tracks down Wolverine on his birthday and beats him up/outright beats the crap out of him.

To which I just sort of go, buh? EVERY year? Does Wolverine not fight back? Because even if he's generally Wolverine's better in some aspects Wolverine is the type who keeps on trying to learn and improve himself. Maybe he managed to do in the past, maybe a lot of times, but recently? And even if for some reason his birthday makes him extra weak, why not just hang out with a group of his tougher X-Men companions like Colossus and Rogue and see how well ol' Victor fares alone?

Then again I can see Wolverine not doing that because Sabretooth is such a total bastard that he'd then start targeting THEM.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 9, 2022

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
In the old What The?! series, who wrote the bit about the X-Men in the first couple of issues?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Beerdeer posted:

In the old What The?! series, who wrote the bit about the X-Men in the first couple of issues?
There were several X-Men parodies in the first few issues. Do any of these ring a bell as the one you're thinking of?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

That reminds me of some Sabretooth trivia where supposedly EVERY year he tracks down Wolverine on his birthday and beats him up/outright beats the crap out of him.

To which I just sort of go, buh? EVERY year? Does Wolverine not fight back? Because even if he's generally Wolverine's better in some aspects Wolverine is the type who keeps on trying to learn and improve himself. Maybe he managed to do in the past, maybe a lot of times, but recently? And even if for some reason his birthday makes him extra weak, why not just hang out with a group of his tougher X-Men companions like Colossus and Rogue and see how well ol' Victor fares alone?

Then again I can see Wolverine not doing that because Sabretooth is such a total bastard that he'd then start targeting THEM.

That was the concept: Wolverine might be the beat there is at what he does, but Sabretooth is somehow even better.

There was a Wolverine: First Class story where Kitty takes Wolverine out to dinner on his birthday not knowing about Sabretooth. IIRC, Sabretooth backs down that year.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

New Teen Titans question: After issue 40 it becomes Tales of the Teen Titans and a new New Teen Titans series was launched.

Does TotTT continue to have new stories or does it eventually just become reprints? Is the Titans worth reading much past The Judas Contract anyways?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Edge & Christian posted:

There were several X-Men parodies in the first few issues. Do any of these ring a bell as the one you're thinking of?

From the very first issue, it turns out. "When Titans Bunch!" I'll always remember MAG-NEEEEEEETO !

Looks like Peter Gillis.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

New Teen Titans question: After issue 40 it becomes Tales of the Teen Titans and a new New Teen Titans series was launched.

Does TotTT continue to have new stories or does it eventually just become reprints? Is the Titans worth reading much past The Judas Contract anyways?

From what I can see, ToTT was reprints from #59 on.

By me, NTT was still a decent team book after Judas Contract. The wheels don't come off until the "Titans Hunt" story arc, which quickly dissolves into a Clone Saga-esque endless mess.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What is the connection/difference between John Jameson III, Man-Wolf, Jack Russel, and Werewolf by Night?

I got things mixed up and though that Jameson, who has a magical amulet was WWBN. But he is instead Man-Wolf, whose transformation into a werewolf is tied to a mystical amulet.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jameson is Man Wolf and that's a totally seperate insane thing involving magic stones and the moon. Jack Russell is one of the Werewolf by Nights, which I think they're up to 3 of by now (maybe 4?).

Basically the guy in the upcoming movie is Peter Parker, Jack is Miles Morales, and Man-Wolf is Jessica Drew

E: apparently Jack was the original one, I guess I made a guy up

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Has ISO-8 ever been a thing in Marvel’s comics? I’ve been watching it show up in Marvel games for like a decade now and every time it’s like ‘yup, there it is’.

(I started playing the Square Avengers game tonight and I almost burst out laughing when I saw mentioned in a loading screen tip, because OF COURSE it’s here too.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Vandar posted:

Has ISO-8 ever been a thing in Marvel’s comics? I’ve been watching it show up in Marvel games for like a decade now and every time it’s like ‘yup, there it is’.

(I started playing the Square Avengers game tonight and I almost burst out laughing when I saw mentioned in a loading screen tip, because OF COURSE it’s here too.)

It was referenced a few times post-Secret Wars, most prominently in Ewing's Ultimates, but never became a particularly big thing in the comics... or at least not the main MU ones, it's shown up in some of those off-the-wall Avengers minis. So it exists, and can always be picked up by other writers down the line, but it's never been central.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ewing used it as a mcguffin in his post secret wars contest of champions as well

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think ISO-8 came up in the games first but then got used in comics?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Contest of Champions was some sort of game tie in, and Ewing was also writing Ultimates, so ISO-8 gets mentioned as an energy source created during the creation of this new iteration of the multiverse or something.

I forget if it had anything to do with that special metal that popped up in his run on SWORD.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
yeah, Contest of Champions was explicitly intended as a tie-in to the mobile game of the same name, though it went on to have interesting ripple effects in the MU anyway

per some fan-wiki I ran across, Ewing first brings up a "Neutronium" in Mighty Avengers #9 that was later interpreted to be ISO-8, but YMMV on that one, obviously

It's starting to look like it won't be A Big Thing in the comics until Ewing gets his own event, 'cause he seems to love the stuff

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Better not be some bullshit "Hulk Gamma, Pym Particles, Unstable Molecules, Negaband Energy... They're all aspects of Isomer-8! It's the fundamental particle of reality!"

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
trying to remember / find 2 comics, but haven't been able to come up with anything via google

1. Alt/Comix thing from the 80s/90s about Hercules in the modern era, possibly going to New York
2. Modern/Oughts independent comic about an Eagle-themed super-hero set during colonial-era America

appreciate any help

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Black-and-white? Color? Drawn in a typical Marvel/DC hero style, or blander, looser/less professional? A lot of indie 80s and 90s comics were from weird, small publishers in black and white.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
both black and white from memory, the hercules comic definitely had a weird manic feel to it, while the other was well drawn but I think some sort of web comic

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm re-reading New X-Men by GMo for the first time since I bought the trades ages ago. I hadn't really read X-Men since Age of Apocalypse so I know there is a huge gap between then and New X-Men but reading New X-Men now I'm wondering what the status of X-Men was months before New X-Men came out. They mention Cyke being mind controlled by who I assume was Apocalypse so I guess that was a thing. What happened to Gambit and Rogue though as they aren't mentioned at all in New X-Men? Was there another team running around during New X-Men? Was there any big stuff going on a year before? I'm just wondering because outside of the Cyke stuff it doesn't really reference much going on outside of itself.
Also on a side note I got to say that the comic treats the death of 16 million people kind of as an afterthought. You would think that there would be wider consequences for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

I'm re-reading New X-Men by GMo for the first time since I bought the trades ages ago. I hadn't really read X-Men since Age of Apocalypse so I know there is a huge gap between then and New X-Men but reading New X-Men now I'm wondering what the status of X-Men was months before New X-Men came out. They mention Cyke being mind controlled by who I assume was Apocalypse so I guess that was a thing. What happened to Gambit and Rogue though as they aren't mentioned at all in New X-Men? Was there another team running around during New X-Men? Was there any big stuff going on a year before? I'm just wondering because outside of the Cyke stuff it doesn't really reference much going on outside of itself.
Also on a side note I got to say that the comic treats the death of 16 million people kind of as an afterthought. You would think that there would be wider consequences for that.

It took twenty years for it to be really acknowledged.