Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah what's wrong with browns?

Not much of a tactile bump compared to more popular tactile switches (bobas, glorious, pandas, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
look at these fools with their opinions

people that like browns think they want a tactile switch, but ultimately just want a linear switch. There is very little difference.

I do prefer a heavier switch in general, but even with a heavy spring actual tactile switches can be felt. browns are just mush.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Not much of a tactile bump compared to more popular tactile switches (bobas, glorious, pandas, etc.)
And there are good intermediate options if those are too tactile, all of which have better smoothness than Cherry switches

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yeah when I slow down the press I can feel the tactile bump but when I mash the key on the testing board it sorta gets lost in the key press I feel.

I'm sure it's different when actually typing since I don't press as hard when typing as I was testing, except when deliberately pressing slowly.

This uncertainty has made me want to get something where I can easily change the switches in case I get it wrong. That's something at least.

I do sort of hate the idea of going to a Best Buy or something and hoping they have keyboards with all the switches I'd like to test. I mostly feel like I'm overthinking this and should just pick one between reds/browns because either one will be fine.

Edit: Took so long to post I missed some very informative brown chat

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Llamadeus posted:

And there are good intermediate options if those are too tactile, all of which have better smoothness than Cherry switches

big list here: https://keybumps.com/switch-list.html

I started with browns on my first board, but soon tried others and realized the difference. My favorite switch is currently BobaU4T's

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 31, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Do most hot swappable boards only fit one brand of switch? If I get a Ducky One 3 am I limited to Cherry MX switches?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

After like what seems like a hundred boards, im back to cherry browns highly modded, crytox, etc. Freaking LOVE the things. Go figure, after so much time and effort just normal browns with love are amazing.

this is the most hosed up, unhinged post I have ever read on the something awful forums. I'm gonna have nightmares, what the gently caress dude

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

pik_d posted:

Do most hot swappable boards only fit one brand of switch? If I get a Ducky One 3 am I limited to Cherry MX switches?
Most switches on the market are designed to be interchangeable with Cherry MX (thanks to the Cherry MX patent expiring in 2014)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is the most hosed up, unhinged post I have ever read on the something awful forums. I'm gonna have nightmares, what the gently caress dude

I was also traumatized

mewse
May 2, 2006

pik_d posted:

Most hot swap sockets are essentially universal, it's outemu sockets that are the outlier.

The hot swap sockets used in the one 3 will allow basically any switch, and it looks like the PCB has the extra holes so you can use 3 pin or 5 pin switches. Basically any mx-type switch.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

look at these fools with their opinions

people that like browns think they want a tactile switch, but ultimately just want a linear switch. There is very little difference.

I will admit to this though. I replaced all of the letter keys on my board with Cherry Speed Silvers and kept the browns for everything else other than the shift keys. There's very little difference but I can definitely feel the tactile bump on say, the numpad, because I'm not mashing those buttons.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Llamadeus posted:

Most switches on the market are designed to be interchangeable with Cherry MX (thanks to the Cherry MX patent expiring in 2014)

mewse posted:

Most hot swap sockets are essentially universal, it's outemu sockets that are the outlier.

The hot swap sockets used in the one 3 will allow basically any switch, and it looks like the PCB has the extra holes so you can use 3 pin or 5 pin switches. Basically any mx-type switch.

Good to know the possibilities of getting The Wrong Switch are even larger. Very cool especially since how do you even know without testing them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got an old cherry point of sale board a while back and the browns in that are so scratchy and terrible due to being heavily used in a store somewhere. The bump is diminished but not cleanly like reds or blacks. It's even got a mag stripe reader and a trackpad (the trackpad is broken). It's fun for a couple of minutes to read random cards with it. One neat feature was relegendable keycaps and F13-F24 on there. Anyway, the normal browns on the Noppoo Choc Mini which I've owned for a while but has almost no use feel alright but I personally prefer clicky switches and might take the speed silvers out of my Keychron for some box navies.

edit:

pik_d posted:

Good to know the possibilities of getting The Wrong Switch are even larger. Very cool especially since how do you even know without testing them.

Pretty much every MX compatible switch will work for you except maybe Otemu. If in doubt ask in the thread before ordering, there's a lot of keyboard grognards here. Just try to avoid Otemu. Most switches are cloning the pinout and size and shape of Cherry MX switches these days. If it was something that didn't it'd be pretty obvious like ALPS which aren't made much these days except for random electronics that include really terrible clones and Matias switches that are generally included in a keyboard.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 31, 2022

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

pik_d posted:

if it's your first board, anything feels better than a mushy membrane

these maniacs are the people discussing which regional mexican cuisine is the best while you're looking at the taco bell menu because you have seven bucks; you can join their switch-based masturbatory excess after you get some food in your belly

basically you can get a hotswap board and just kinda experiment as you go. I like pro purples the best so far!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

That is the correct attitude. Start with what you're interested in trying, you can't really get it wrong. You'll form your own opinions as you try things.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

(I also just like, the color purple, and put purple switches in my purple board with purple RGB)

anyways: after having played with a few different layouts now I think I want to try a 96% - something like the Kira, but ideally something I build/solder myself. anything cool I should know about, any 96% group buys going on I'm missing?

e: to be specific, I really like how the Kira basically doesn't have any empty space - just a great big slab of keys. there are some 1800 kits I've found but it feels like they're wasting space. basically I want maximum key-to-volume

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 31, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

death cob for cutie posted:

I like pro purples the best so far!

Since the thread has become ~the opinion zone~ I really dislike kailh pro purples and I think I own >200 of them. I got them when I was getting into the hobby thinking they were like affordable zealios, I was wrong. I don't see any advantage to having them over boring old cherry browns, the tactile bump is so minimal.

My current fav budget tactile is nylon housed T1

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Jwick nylon linears are also a good choice for starter/budget linear if you go down that path

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

(I also just like, the color purple, and put purple switches in my purple board with purple RGB)

anyways: after having played with a few different layouts now I think I want to try a 96% - something like the Kira, but ideally something I build/solder myself. anything cool I should know about, any 96% group buys going on I'm missing?

e: to be specific, I really like how the Kira basically doesn't have any empty space - just a great big slab of keys. there are some 1800 kits I've found but it feels like they're wasting space. basically I want maximum key-to-volume

https://cannonkeys.com/collections/brutalist-series/products/rekt1800-keyboard

Not sure your budget but there's this.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Also I just realized I never shared pictures:

I love this M0LLY very much from an aesthetic standpoint but it turns out I don't have the number/symbol row fully memorized and as a programmer who also teaches it's been a bit embarrassing lmao

Most of the family. I don't like these stands a lot but they're doing okay for now. Really need to wash my Ducky and its caps there...

oooooooh

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

if it's your first board, anything feels better than a mushy membrane

these maniacs are the people discussing which regional mexican cuisine is the best while you're looking at the taco bell menu because you have seven bucks; you can join their switch-based masturbatory excess after you get some food in your belly

basically you can get a hotswap board and just kinda experiment as you go. I like pro purples the best so far!

I like your optimism. It does not, however, make the act of deciding any easier for me. Making decisions when there are very small differences between choices is my kryptonite. :negative: Very recently it took me months to decide on an ereader.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I love this M0LLY very much from an aesthetic standpoint but it turns out I don't have the number/symbol row fully memorized and as a programmer who also teaches it's been a bit embarrassing lmao

lol they label the quotation keys, but not the star and moon keys in the lower right. are they enter, scroll lock, a random macro that will open a terminal and download a malware payload, who knows

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Also I just realized I never shared pictures:

Most of the family. I don't like these stands a lot but they're doing okay for now. Really need to wash my Ducky and its caps there...

oooooooh

Nice M0LLY, but what the gently caress is a number row?
Here's another board designed by BlindAssassin111, the Smolka:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 31, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Its not as slab as others, but the Wind X 98 is in group buy until the 19th of September. I have the OG Wind X and it's a wonderful board that sounds great and was fun to build. Hotswap, Solder, and Hotswap Bluetooth are available as options.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Inept posted:

lol they label the quotation keys, but not the star and moon keys in the lower right. are they enter, scroll lock, a random macro that will open a terminal and download a malware payload, who knows

I mean tbh those are novelty keys that I put there, I wish they provided enough to cover some of the other keys with more symbols

the Hex key does cause it to cast hexes on my posting enemies however

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gearman posted:

If there isn't a big rush, pre-orders for this are live now and they should be shipping in November. $139, TKL, hotswap, wireless, includes switches and keycaps, and has a very clean aesthetic in a variety of colors.

https://store.monokei.co/products/monokei-standard?variant=43062815228129

Their promo site says it's fully customizable and showed different keycaps, but I can't find any actual customization options beyond the switches and chassis. What am I missing?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Their promo site says it's fully customizable and showed different keycaps, but I can't find any actual customization options beyond the switches and chassis. What am I missing?

In the sense that it's a hotswap PCB so you can replace the switches and keycaps once you have it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I believe it comes with a few accent color keycaps that you can swap, but otherwise I don't believe there are any different keycap options aside from swapping your own on. Switches look like either red, silent red, or brown, but it's hotswap so you can just put whatever other switches you want in it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This would be my first time not just buying a regular keyboard off amazon or whatever, so I don't really know what the norms are. Seems weird that they're advertising swappable keycaps as a special feature, but whatever. I've seen other companies let you customize keycaps as part of the order process which seems much smarter and less wasteful.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It's the hotswap switches that are the actual customizable part, keycaps you can change out on any cherry mx keyboard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

It's the hotswap switches that are the actual customizable part, keycaps you can change out on any cherry mx keyboard.

Okay, but,

I just thought it was odd for them to make a big show of this since this is an extremely common feature, and they make it look like you can get it custom-ordered when you can't. You can't even separately order the keycaps they show here from them lol

edit: vvvv yep, guess I'm not buying this keyboard.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 4, 2022

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

I just thought it was odd for them to make a big show of this since this is an extremely common feature, and they make it look like you can get it custom-ordered when you can't. You can't even separately order the keycaps they show here from them lol
Yeah, I assume the keycaps are simply in development.

https://monokei.co/series-1-keycaps

The white-on-black is in stock apparently

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I liked the Nuphy 75 but the 75% key placement was kind of weird for me, I type really fast (about 90 wpm) and where the backspace was and other things were causing me a lot of issues, so I ordered a 60, going to return the 75.

But as a travel keyboard, pretty happy with it.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
Is there something like a dummy board you can buy with all the popular types of switches on it so you can test them all?
Edit: Turns out its just google search away, I'll see myself out

Cantide fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 8, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cantide posted:

Is there something like a dummy board you can buy with all the popular types of switches on it so you can test them all?
Edit: Turns out its just google search away, I'll see myself out

Yeah the switch testers are good if you don't know what you want, but it's worth noting that an entire keyboard of a switch you're typing on can feel a little different than a single one of them. It's better than nothing for trying to find out what you like, though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Got my One 3 with clears in today and it feels real nice. Is there an easy way to use one of the RGB settings but dimmer? I think I'd like solid white but not as bright as the default.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

pik_d posted:

Got my One 3 with clears in today and it feels real nice. Is there an easy way to use one of the RGB settings but dimmer? I think I'd like solid white but not as bright as the default.

According to the manual, Fn+F5/F6/F7 will cycle through brightness levels for red/green/blue respectively. I think that means you can set all three at the same brightness level to change the brightness of full white backlight. Kind of cumbersome in my opinion, but it should work.

From page 20:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

According to the manual, Fn+F5/F6/F7 will cycle through brightness levels for red/green/blue respectively. I think that means you can set all three at the same brightness level to change the brightness of full white backlight. Kind of cumbersome in my opinion, but it should work.

From page 20:

Thanks, I guess they did it that way so it was easier to get more colors. Now to choose the perfect color!

Edit: Its 2/10 red, 3/10 green, and 7/10 blue

pik_d fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 9, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm looking for a keyboard for writing, both text and code. There'd be basically no gaming happening on this keyboard. What should I be looking for if I want a keyboard with the features (in order of priority):

- Portable (Specifically portable enough that it can fit in some kind of carrying pouch that I can carry around in my backpack and it won't get banged up)
- Works with Linux
- Ergonomic
- Wireless
- Mechanical
- Backlighting

I checked out a few popular keyboards like the Ducky One 2, the Anne Pro 2, and this group buy Monokei that people were talking about a few posts ago, and those look really good except I'd really like an ergonomic form factor. Does such a keyboard exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What kind of programming are you doing? I find anything that requires a lot of F keys is a pain in the rear end on a 65% board. It just gets tiresome to hold down fn + a number key to step through something in VS. I don't have the same issue when I'm doing something in javascript though.