Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Between no meetings Friday and read only Friday, I think we should just have a four day work week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

read only friday is for cowards

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

read only friday is for people who inevitably get paged or texted at 3 am when something is wrong

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

read only friday is for orgs that don't have mature systems in place

and by systems I am referring to both the organizational kind, where there is a robust on call and support, and the technical kind, where there is an easy/automatic method to role back changes that have failed, or test changes so you have a higher level of certainty about the change working

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I try to practice read-only Friday ... after the on-call has gone home for the weekend :sun:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, but what about Monday morning meetings? We can all agree that those suck, right?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The Fool posted:

and by systems I am referring to both the organizational kind, where there is a robust on call and support, and the technical kind, where there is an easy/automatic method to role back changes that have failed, or test changes so you have a higher level of certainty about the change working

This is true. Charity has a blog post about it. And also when I've been in places where I "instituted" (read: joked about enough until people went along with it) read only fridays, I was the robust on call system, and rolling back changes was occasionally painful.

So yeah, not a good practice, entirely self serving, etc. Also good for my sanity and sleep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, but what about Monday morning meetings? We can all agree that those suck, right?

Yeah they're terrible. My place has a "recommendation" for no meetings on Monday or Friday, but no one listens to it. So bright and early we're in a zoom chat talking about what we did last week. It's the worst.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And everyone is trying to scramble to put out weekend fires while remembering what the gently caress they did last week because no one puts notes in cards.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

read only friday is for cowards

e: vvvvvv :drat:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 31, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

edit: :cawg: testing is for people who make mistakes

Happiness Commando posted:

This is true. Charity has a blog post about it. And also when I've been in places where I "instituted" (read: joked about enough until people went along with it) read only fridays, I was the robust on call system, and rolling back changes was occasionally painful.

So yeah, not a good practice, entirely self serving, etc. Also good for my sanity and sleep.

If it hurts, do it more often. Unless you're on call of course.

"Do you deploy regularly on Fridays?" should be part of your default set of interview questions.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Am I on call? No? Do whatevs, then.

Side note: My $newJob has zero call/ticket responsibility. Going forward, I'm not sure I can go back to a job that requires an on-call rotation. It is so nice not having to stress about poo poo in off-hours.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

So … all of them?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

So … all of them?

Yea, even if you have a robust system with all the ci/cd doodads why even invite the possibility that someones weekend is ruined when you could just do poo poo literally any other day of the week.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I do almost all of my changes Tues-Thurs nights after 10:30pm. I'm not pushing code through a fancy CI/CD pipeline though. CAB is Monday and Tuesday morning.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We do all our major prod updates on Sunday overnights. It blows and totally torpedoes my weekend. Thankfully rollbacks that affect me are rare so it’s usually over by 3am.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Amazon recruiters are wising up to the fact that nobody wants to subject themselves to working for Amazon. The latest recruiting email I got made no direct reference to Amazon but only vague references to a position with retail/Prime. They still had to link to the amazon.jobs website, so that was an immediate no.

I'm sure before too long their template will just be "an exciting opportunity with a client under strict NDA".

Hughmoris posted:

Am I on call? No? Do whatevs, then.

Side note: My $newJob has zero call/ticket responsibility. Going forward, I'm not sure I can go back to a job that requires an on-call rotation. It is so nice not having to stress about poo poo in off-hours.

My work-life balance and general quality of life improved monumentally when I quit my on-call job for one without. "Comp time" doesn't compensate for missing family activities and having to carry a laptop and your work brain with you everywhere you go.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cenodoxus posted:

Amazon recruiters are wising up to the fact that nobody wants to subject themselves to working for Amazon. The latest recruiting email I got made no direct reference to Amazon but only vague references to a position with retail/Prime. They still had to link to the amazon.jobs website, so that was an immediate no.

I'm sure before too long their template will just be "an exciting opportunity with a client under strict NDA".

My work-life balance and general quality of life improved monumentally when I quit my on-call job for one without. "Comp time" doesn't compensate for missing family activities and having to carry a laptop and your work brain with you everywhere you go.

I declined an AWS recruiter recently too, just don't want to deal with that poo poo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I've been getting some scummy recruiter emailing my work address for a job that is objectively worse than my current one (more in person and working for a "family owned small business :gonk:)

Also imo 80% of all meetings could just be an email and mayyyyyyybe a phone call if it's really important

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

New job started and the past 3 days have been easy breezy because I'll be going to Hawaii for 19 days starting tomorrow so there are zero expectations to do anything. I'm still at my old job and will eject the moment it becomes unbearable but for a brief moment I'm making 300k a year and thats absolutely hilarious to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CitizenKain posted:

I know when I was going to school, CS touched nothing about how to use the machines, just how to program. With a bunch of math on top of it. I changed from that to a more computer toucher focused thing after a few years.

This is basically why I never finished my CS. By the time we got to C++ (my last attended semester was 1996), I hated programming. I wish something like WGU’s IT program had been around then.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I think read-only fridays are good in that they help break the "never not working" mindset. Hard lines between work and not-work, friends. If the hard line is padded in the bubble wrap of a day dedicated to learning & administrative overhead, so be it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have an automated release system that publishes all changes made for the day at the end of the day.

It does help that my team manages an internal facing product, but we are a global company and someone somewhere in the world is working at any given time.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Chmod 440 friday

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Fool posted:

In my experience, this leaves lots of room open for "Well, can't Support just handle it?" types of situations. Especially from leadership.

"Should we test this more? Its still failing 98% of the time"
"Nahhhh Support will either fix it or roll back and document what happend. That's why they have oncall"

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Friday is basically the weekend, especially in the summer. and that makes Thursday Friday so really you cant expect work to be done after lunch on Thursday

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

The Fool posted:

I have an automated release system that publishes all changes made for the day at the end of the day.

It does help that my team manages an internal facing product, but we are a global company and someone somewhere in the world is working at any given time.

That's a good point that my perspective overlooked. I'm in a strictly-American company now, where most people are working between 8am and 8pm eastern.

I do miss working in a truly global company where internal support followed the sun, and the off-shore first level support team had higher standards than "above room temperature".

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you guys stop ruining my platonic ideal with reality

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

and the off-shore first level support team had higher standards than "above room temperature".

yeah, my scenario really only works with offshore teams that are treated as a first class part of the company with the pay and training that implies.

trying to dump those responsibilities on an offshore team that was built for cost savings only makes the problems worse

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't want anything scheduled on a Friday because I use that day to tidy up any loose ends before the weekend rather than leaving lots of things in a state of limbo. Monday mornings should also be kept clear as it takes time to get up to speed and plan the week ahead. Being available Monday afternoon and every other day except Friday shouldn't cause anybody problems unless they do everything last minute, which is their problem to sort out.

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
I want to get out of retail and was looking at computer science. Is there a good online program to at least try a cs 101 class to see if the field is right for me. I found a ton of them but im leery about a lot of them

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've never been seen inside a DC this big. Kinda neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eo8nz_niiM

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bonzo posted:

Well yeah it'd be kinda hard to spot you in the middle of 200,000 servers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Silver John posted:

I want to get out of retail and was looking at computer science. Is there a good online program to at least try a cs 101 class to see if the field is right for me. I found a ton of them but im leery about a lot of them

Harvard’s CS50 through Edx is excellent. https://pll.harvard.edu/course/cs50-introduction-computer-science?delta=0

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014

Thank you! Is it worth getting the verified certificate?

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Bonzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eo8nz_niiM

Thanks for the link, that was pretty cool to see and found a new tech channel to follow

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was going crazy trying to find out why my company Google Workspace email signature keeps getting overwritten to defaults (wiping out my title making it look really dumb the way it's laid out). No one else in the org seems to have this problem, and my staff are just :shrug:

I started a month ago and they're pretty junior. My predecessor kept them in the dark about anything remotely "advanced".

I assumed it had to be an app, or BetterCloud misbehaving, but there are very few domain apps installed, and they were easy to vet. BetterCloud swears up and down (via its logs) it only ever touched my account a month ago to add it to the "defaultsignature" GSuite group... but that is a huge clue.

But then what? Searching, the only relevant article I could find was this: https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/guides/alias_and_signature_settings#java

Oh boy, this is a bit above my skillset. Anyway, I think I hit paydirt when I was reasoning this has to be running somewhere, and then found some "projects" running in GCP, both under a service account and under my predecessor's, which was just about to be purged.

I guess it's time to learn the Gmail API and get better acquainted with GCP, sigh.

It's just funny to me that this knowledge/setup could have been wiped away in an eyeblink, and I'd have looked like a fool when the company's signatures were no longer automated. So I guess I'm lucky as gently caress it was erroring on mine. I feel like my entire IT career has been lucky, stumbling across things that are on the cusp of failing; making me look a lot brighter than I am.

edit: lollllllllllll okay, there is an "app.bettercloud.com" and a "g.bettercloud.com" which I was unaware of, and it appears to me that that is the source of my troubles. loving logs.

So uh, I'm still dumb.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 1, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

teethgrinder posted:

I feel like my entire IT career has been lucky, stumbling across things that are on the cusp of failing; making me look a lot brighter than I am.

Any of those for new topic?

e: I'm not gonna lie, this line hit me loving deep right now.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 1, 2022

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I had a citizen somehow make their way to my office today. They were seeking advice on who could teach them how to build a website. I'm still a little bewildered because like... I could almost see the request making sense but also, I wouldn't walk into a court room and interrupt the judge to ask them where I could go to law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had a citizen somehow make their way to my office today. They were seeking advice on who could teach them how to build a website. I'm still a little bewildered because like... I could almost see the request making sense but also, I wouldn't walk into a court room and interrupt the judge to ask them where I could go to law school.

Do you work for govt? Because I'm now imagining a scene from Parks and Rec.