Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Am I remembering incorrectly or didn't the nWo have a masked ref for Souled Out before it was revealed Nick Patrick was their ref?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Am I remembering incorrectly or didn't the nWo have a masked ref for Souled Out before it was revealed Nick Patrick was their ref?

No, they had a masked ref that was clearly Nick Patrick who would show up in skits and the times they would take over Saturday Night but by Souled Out, Nick Patrick was openly the nWo ref

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rush is quickly becoming one of my very favorite wrestlers with his AEW appearances. What are some must-see Rush matches outside AEW that have a freely available streaming option?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Scott Steiner had his own personal ref, played by Slick Johnson, in late 98 because all the other refs were too scared of him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Rush is quickly becoming one of my very favorite wrestlers with his AEW appearances. What are some must-see Rush matches outside AEW that have a freely available streaming option?

Rush vs LA Park from 2016. These two guys have had an on-again off-again feud for years & every time it is a wild, bloody brawl
This is more Rush vs LA Park, a hugely talked about match in the summer of 2018 as we all got excited they were finally doing the mask vs hair match only for CMLL to decide not to bother because this poo poo was too wild for them
I remember really enjoying this: Rush & Barbaro Cavernario vs Matt Taven & Volador Jr, hair vs hair, from the Anniversario show where people hoped the Rush Park blow off would happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Rush Vs LA Park
ELITE: (Not All Elite)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_31g1QCwN0&t=4s
Rush and Dragon Lee vs LA Park and El Hijo De LA Park in the Legendary Cum Bucket Match from IWRG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FL0hleYSo&t=211s

Rush vs LA Park SUPER LIBRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZ3HdWFO7M

LA Park, Fenix and Penta vs Rush and The Briscoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDYrd_izGt0

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Scott Steiner had his own personal ref, played by Slick Johnson, in late 98 because all the other refs were too scared of him.

My favourite thing about Slick Johnson is that he had this weird quirk where he'd sell with the wrestlers, so if a wrestler was whipped into the corner he'd clutch his back briefly. He did it in both WCW and TNA and there was never an explanation given as to why.

He also wore shorts and had a storyline in TNA where certain female wrestlers bribed him with blowjobs. :russo:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Hedgehog Pie posted:

My favourite thing about Slick Johnson is that he had this weird quirk where he'd sell with the wrestlers, so if a wrestler was whipped into the corner he'd clutch his back briefly. He did it in both WCW and TNA and there was never an explanation given as to why.

He also wore shorts and had a storyline in TNA where certain female wrestlers bribed him with blowjobs. :russo:
It went deeper than that, almost every house show or dark match from TNA in that era would have a spot where either Earl Hebner or Slick Rick made out with, felt up, or got flashed by a knockout. I think it was to pop the crowd but I always felt really uncomfortable watching it live.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Have you never seen anyone get hurt or injured and had a sympathetic unconscious reaction?

If you've not then you can probably find a nut shot compilation with plenty of examples.

It makes sense and is cool if the ref would only do it as a reaction to the sickest of moves but if he did it all the time then it is some poop

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is it wrong to think that a basic wrestling class could be a viable exercise fad, if just for the cardio you develop?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I think Emi Sakura might, she does no bump training for kids iirc.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

titties posted:

Have you never seen anyone get hurt or injured and had a sympathetic unconscious reaction?

If you've not then you can probably find a nut shot compilation with plenty of examples.

It makes sense and is cool if the ref would only do it as a reaction to the sickest of moves but if he did it all the time then it is some poop

It's kind of difficult to demonstrate as you need to see it in action. All I have are these terrible screenshots I just took from the opener at Halloween Havoc 2000 and I'm too lazy to get anything better. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

Alex Wright slaps Mark Jindrak across the chest, so Slick does a little kick for some reason:

Alex Wright gives Mark Jindrak a roundhouse kick, so Slick does a ballerina impression:

Alex Wright clotheslines Billy Kidman, so Slick wobbles a bit:

(this is shaved head post-Berlyn Alex Wright which is significantly less sexy than Das Wunderkind)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Slick Johnson is impressive for being as annoying as he was in two companies.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Is it wrong to think that a basic wrestling class could be a viable exercise fad, if just for the cardio you develop?

New Japan has "The Third Generation Club" which holds workout classes led by some of your favorite New Japan Dads, like Tenzan, Kojima, Nagata, and *checks notes* Master Wato? Apparently it's an online course once a week right now for $30 a month, but I know I saw before the pandemic that they hosted it in person at a couple of gyms around Tokyo (I remember one was in Toyosu, for those that know the area).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

I think Emi Sakura might, she does no bump training for kids iirc.

She’s doing it wrong kids are bump machines, I’ve seen countless children get up and walk away from things that would have killed my decrepit rear end 10 times over

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

New Japan has "The Third Generation Club" which holds workout classes led by some of your favorite New Japan Dads, like Tenzan, Kojima, Nagata, and *checks notes* Master Wato? Apparently it's an online course once a week right now for $30 a month, but I know I saw before the pandemic that they hosted it in person at a couple of gyms around Tokyo (I remember one was in Toyosu, for those that know the area).

Mima Shimoda was also doing this last time I got emailed about them

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

History Comes Inside! posted:

She’s doing it wrong kids are bump machines, I’ve seen countless children get up and walk away from things that would have killed my decrepit rear end 10 times over

That's because you know to sell the bump, kids can't work worth poo poo

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I was warming up before jits class began one time and I saw an 10 year old osotogari another kid into the shadow realm and kid starting giggling like hed just done the funnest thing ever.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

quote:

A bunch of Rush matches recommended to me

Man. The territory-era hot house is still alive and well in Mexico, huh? LA Park is out there not doing *poo poo* and they are tearing the house down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Man. The territory-era hot house is still alive and well in Mexico, huh? LA Park is out there not doing *poo poo* and they are tearing the house down.

Arena Mexico with people in it will always be hot but the Summer of Park was insane. Fridays at Arena Mexico were averaging more than Raw and they had several 10k crowds in that period and a couple sell outs. The feud was already red hot before Park returned to (and was kicked back out of) CMLL and it got hotter because no one thought they'd ever do it in CMLL, and they did stuff that's not allowed in CMLL which is why Park got kicked out! But just an insane atmosphere and the smaller shows had crazy atmospheres too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

I was warming up before jits class began one time and I saw an 10 year old space tornado ogawa another kid into the shadow realm and kid starting giggling like hed just done the funnest thing ever.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
There was some discussion in the Chris Regal thread about Incredibly low rated matches, and people kept mentioning War Games 98 - What was the story there? Just late era WCW overbooked bullshit, or something more?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lazy like a Fox posted:

There was some discussion in the Chris Regal thread about Incredibly low rated matches, and people kept mentioning War Games 98 - What was the story there? Just late era WCW overbooked bullshit, or something more?

Overbooked bullshit and lots of bad wrestlers. But the main thing is overbooking and Warrior magic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Overbooked, but also rules that hurt the match. The idea of doing a War Games with three factions was actually pretty cool... if the rules remained like a regular War Games otherwise. Instead, the idea was that whoever got the first pin would get the next title shot. It was basically every man for himself despite the team setup. Plus the match could have theoretically ended within the first minute.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gavok posted:

Overbooked, but also rules that hurt the match. The idea of doing a War Games with three factions was actually pretty cool... if the rules remained like a regular War Games otherwise. Instead, the idea was that whoever got the first pin would get the next title shot. It was basically every man for himself despite the team setup. Plus the match could have theoretically ended within the first minute.

The last part is one of the sticking points for me. Traditionally, War Games only begins once everyone is in the cage. In this one, anyone could win at any time.

If they wanted to give the winner a title shot, they could have easily done something where the winning team has a multi-person match at the next PPV to declare the #1 contender. Draws it out more and avoids the potential in-fighting that could happen in the match. I have no other recollection of the match itself other than the dumb rules, so I didn't even remember that stipulation and don't remember if it actually caused any turmoil within teams.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Little kids just LOVE to be yeeted. My little cousin would practically beg to be tossed into or "body dlammed" into the couch cushions, then pop right back up, giggling madly

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My 3 year old nephews favorite thing i literally when i pick him up, flip him over, and "tombstone" him. He'll say "again!" over and over until im exhausted.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SirDippingSauce posted:

Little kids just LOVE to be yeeted. My little cousin would practically beg to be tossed into or "body dlammed" into the couch cushions, then pop right back up, giggling madly

I never got sick of being flung into pillows I just ran out of people who could lift me above their heads and pillows big enough to catch me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kvlt! posted:

My 3 year old nephews favorite thing i literally when i pick him up, flip him over, and "tombstone" him. He'll say "again!" over and over until im exhausted.

Of course your finish is the Tombstone, fuuuck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not much of a finish if a 3 year old can kick out of it

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Once my thumb is all healed, I'm going to have a scar on my thumb that kind of looks like a smile. Is getting Kurt Angle tattooed onto my thumb using the scar as his mouth the dumbest idea or the best idea?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's how old the Undertaker was when Kvlt beat him with his own move, in PRIDE.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gavok posted:

Also this is the match where Davey Boy Smith bumped onto the trapdoor that had Warrior's bullshit magic gimmick, developing the back injury that eventually ended his career and painkiller addiction that eventually took his life.

WarGames 98 has a whole lot of bad energy around it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

We all know the Aja Kong match in WWF but was the opponent, Chaparita Asari, anyone of note? She did some things in All Japan but how'd she get picked to go up against Aja for that match.What happened to her career afterwards?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TV Zombie posted:

We all know the Aja Kong match in WWF but was the opponent, Chaparita Asari, anyone of note? She did some things in All Japan but how'd she get picked to go up against Aja for that match.What happened to her career afterwards?
She could do some spectacular things and was the tiniest woman in the group who came over in 1995. So having Kong squash her made sense.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

she was an incredible 90s high flyer and innovated the Sky Twister Press

she probably got picked for that match with Kong because she was tiny and was a great choice to be someone Kong can throw around a brutalize to get over how much of a monster she is

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Of course your finish is the Tombstone, fuuuck

my longterm ex was a mortician and used to get wicked pissed when id introduce her to new people as Paul Bearer or Ms. Bearer lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

The last part is one of the sticking points for me. Traditionally, War Games only begins once everyone is in the cage. In this one, anyone could win at any time.

It does feel like the more you get away from the very simple principles of War Games which are, to my mind, "heels start with the advantage" and treating the whole match like an extended hot tag sequence the more they go off the rails.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kvlt! posted:

my longterm ex was a mortician and used to get wicked pissed when id introduce her to new people as Paul Bearer or Ms. Bearer lmao

That's the first time in a long time I've seen someone use the word wicked like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shard posted:

That's the first time in a long time I've seen someone use the word wicked like that

im from boston lol