Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
A place to stay at for free becomes accesible from day... 3? 4? onwards. You can also pawn a few things to Roy for a little extra cash - I think the postcards are always safe to pawn, though they're only worth a couple or reals each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Postcards are safe, yes. There is also a thought or two that can help with the collection of money or healing items that you would or would not have spent money on so that you can keep more for your rent.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Trickortreat posted:

Any tips for making rent? I was able to con my way to getting the 130, but with how tedious it is to collect cans, I don't think I am in for a good time if I have to collect 20 monies every day. I am assuming either money will become a lot easier to get or I will be able to find another place to stay somehow? Stressing out about being able to make rent is not my idea of a fun time.

Beg every rich person you meet for money

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Getting money becomes easier as you progress through the game, and yes a free place to stay opens up on the third day - go exploring and you'll find it at some point.

Meanwhile I am very near the end of my first game I suppose found the guy on the island but it's a *lot* of dialogue to go through. Got shot twice during the Tribunal and lived but several Hardie boys were not as lucky. I still have lots of questions but I'll probably do a second run first - am thinking Communist Sherlock Holmes to contrast my initial Neoliberal Meathead run.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Trickortreat posted:

Any tips for making rent? I was able to con my way to getting the 130, but with how tedious it is to collect cans, I don't think I am in for a good time if I have to collect 20 monies every day. I am assuming either money will become a lot easier to get or I will be able to find another place to stay somehow? Stressing out about being able to make rent is not my idea of a fun time.

You got the 130. You’ll be fine.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

e: too slow lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
On my first playthrough I had a little too much money by day three because I accepted every union bribe I could, and then I got free housing and then I got the encyclopedia checks = money trait and then after that I just started buying random things and stopped looking for cans at all because I had more than I could possibly spend

Except for the ridiculous expensive sign in the pawn shop, it was still out of reach...

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Only the most badass ultraliberal hustlers can afford the sign.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Only the most badass ultraliberal hustlers can afford the sign.

Be very, very careful though...

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

CottonWolf posted:

Has Kurwitz’s book been translated yet?

Not yet, though some dude on reddit translated the first three chapters:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RJAWEOwYMhaxaZi3sdlSF_D8-rnLqRlg/view

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

EorayMel posted:

Be very, very careful though...

God drat half light lmao.

there's so many missable situations that by themselves would be the funniest moment in essentially any other game.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Trickortreat posted:

the minimum number of times you have to pay rent is 2

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You also don't have to pay the full 130 if you threaten to arrest Garte and then refuse to pay for the drinks when it first comes up.

rear end in a top hat still expects you to pay for the window though

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

christmas boots posted:

You also don't have to pay the full 130 if you threaten to arrest Garte and then refuse to pay for the drinks when it first comes up.

rear end in a top hat still expects you to pay for the window though

You can also take the window off the bill for an even more reduced payment you need to make

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Debate and/or Discuss.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Getting real Samson vibes, I approve.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
some dude on reddit has been animating the skills and it's Good

Drama
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/wzzoql/play_the_actor_lie_and_detect_lies/

Pain Threshold
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/wxgsk6/shrug_off_the_pain_theyll_have_to_hurt_you_more/

HALF-LIGHT
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/wy6kmh/let_the_body_take_control_threaten_people/

Savoir-Faire
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/wz1da2/sneak_under_their_noses_stun_with_immense_panache/

Logic
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/m6afn2/wield_raw_intellectual_power_deduce_the_world/

Visual Calculus
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/m4v65r/reconstruct_crime_scenes_make_laws_of_physics/

Inland Empire
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/m44vg8/hunches_and_gut_feelings_dreams_in_waking_life/

Composure
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/m3hjx0/straighten_your_back_keep_your_poker_face/

Electrochemistry
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/m2y85b/go_to_party_planet_love_and_be_loved_by_drugs/

Physical Instrument
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/m22egl/flex_powerful_muscles_enjoy_healthy_organs/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

poo poo those own

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Oh dang, I just realized something about the Paledriver. When you first meet her, Inland Empire strangely (at least, so I first though) insinuates that she could be your grandmother. But with the effect of the Pale on the human psyche, there is an ACTUAL chance she could adopt Harry's grandmother's memories.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samovar posted:

Oh dang, I just realized something about the Paledriver. When you first meet her, Inland Empire strangely (at least, so I first though) insinuates that she could be your grandmother. But with the effect of the Pale on the human psyche, there is an ACTUAL chance she could adopt Harry's grandmother's memories.

It'd be interesting to see something like this explored more fully. I did take it as the same way Espirit De Corps says that Kim is your half-brother, but considering what you said...

The uh like psychological effect of meeting someone who either physically or otherwise reminds you of someone you already know, I don't know what this is called cause I just keep finding results about doppelgangers which isn't really what I mean. Like say you had a childhood friend and you meet someone who reminds you of them very strongly. It softens you a lot toward them -- but now, imagine meeting someone who you have an implanted memory of from their family would be... an interesting thing. Maybe less so than in theory, since in practice it'd just probably weird the person out unless everyone knew what was happening I suppose.

I do like the skills talking about the Paledriver's "head in the clouds" and dismissing her when she says stuff like "I was there," until you get the LOWDOWN.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
from the randomwaffle thread:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The Expression is timeless.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Chariovalda Lignum

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Lig...num???

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I feel you Robert, https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1558128681729474560?t=1-vnfozu4yzrN_FsWYBNug&s=19

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

EorayMel posted:

You can also take the window off the bill for an even more reduced payment you need to make

I just pulled this off. If you pass the Authority "Arrest him" check you can tell him to loving stuff the window and get the 170 real bill down to 30 bucks lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I can’t believe Kim actually goes along with it (kind of)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

christmas boots posted:

he is, after all, a cop

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

christmas boots posted:

He really wants to keep those rims. Harassing random citizens > Losing car mods > being partnered with a hobocop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

He really wants to keep those rims. Harassing random citizens > Losing car mods > being partnered with a hobocop.

lol I've decided to accept this as fact.

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
https://www.thegamer.com/disco-elysium-hangover/

quote:

Disco Elysium Is The Best Game To Play With A Hangover
I was abused by the children at the dead body, and felt the hot shame of Kim’s pitying stare at my back. I’m so sorry Kim. I know I’m hosed up and I know it’s my own fault. Being hungover IRL just makes that shame hit different.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

star eater posted:

I just pulled this off. If you pass the Authority "Arrest him" check you can tell him to loving stuff the window and get the 170 real bill down to 30 bucks lmao

You can finish the whole game off of just the money you get from Joyce that way, conveniently enough

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Garte, being such an absolutely lovely barman (and extremely efficient landlord), doesn't even repair your window if you pay for it, anyway. So there's literally no reason to do so.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There's also an artist on Tumblr who's been doing some great interpretations of the Skills.

Here's just a couple of them:

Also because I'm a tremendous dork, I commissioned him for a custom skill portrait

(Back Alleys, all about indirect paths and subterfuge).

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Aoi posted:

Garte, being such an absolutely lovely barman (and extremely efficient landlord), doesn't even repair your window if you pay for it, anyway. So there's literally no reason to do so.

"This is just one of the many, many cafeterias I manage" (3)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
(Ones a kebab cart)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

holy poo poo, shivers

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Lord of Hats posted:

There's also an artist on Tumblr who's been doing some great interpretations of the Skills.

Here's just a couple of them:

Also because I'm a tremendous dork, I commissioned him for a custom skill portrait

(Back Alleys, all about indirect paths and subterfuge).

The skills as combination Pokemon and Jojo Stands works so well I'm finding it hard to believe.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

all takes are good but some are just above, great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Beg every rich person you meet for money

Outstanding username/post combo.