Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've tried a different router port, and even a different computer on Ethernet and same issue, but not on wifi. I tried my own router and speeds through the Ethernet was fine.

FiOS is having me get a new router, but I imagine it's some sort of software issue with the router for QoS prioritization? I found a few QoS settings and tried disabling them but no change.

I just tried Mega and same issue over Ethernet. Why would speed test/Verizon speed test work fine but not the M-Lab one? I have noticed that image uploads to discord go through but they are a bit slow.

My assumption about the M-lab one is you did them back to back.

So the M-lab one failed because it was last in the chain, and you got passed the burst. Or M-lab uses a larger sustained upload test which would trigger the issue.

Considering the troubleshooting you did above, the router is the last point of failure outside of Verizon’s default config. Get the router replacement, and if it continues call again and ask for a higher level tech support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In Ubiquiti news, from the InfoSec thread...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Still doesn't change that their products are more geared towards looking/being like Apple than usability.

* UDM (the suppository-looking thing) didn't allow you to even so much as use it as a dumb switch without an internet connection to log into a cloud account on initial setup. I'm still not sure you can, they promised they'd fix that and then went silent.
* Shipping 6E APs that DON'T have at least 2.5GbE ports. What's the point of having an AP that is capable of pushing two one-gigabit wireless streams, if you... can't push two times one-gigabits back over the wire?
* Killing off the utilitarian Edge line in favor of the white bullshit.
* The bullshit with their abrupt and unceremonious 6-month EoLing of Unifi-Video products. Who cares if you JUST installed a brand new Unifi-Video system yesterday! Six months before it gets EoLed! And if I remember correctly, six months before your recordings become COMPLETELY UNACCESSIBLE, with no provisions for continuing to use it unsupported afterwards. Not least of which so they could move you all onto their new and shiny and 100% not-backwards-compatible cloud Unifi Security platform! https://community.ui.com/questions/UniFi-Video-Products-End-of-Life-Announcement/dc529d39-0e58-43cc-96f0-8f0eed0d002c

And that's before they had their own actual, admitted data breach: https://community.ui.com/questions/Account-Notification/96467115-49b5-4dd6-9517-f8cdbf6906f3
None of which has ANYTHING to do with Krebs's reporting.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 1, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All good points! Thank you for taking the time to make them. Nice to have a list all in one place.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I gave up on ubiquity for routing with my er-4, sure it will route at 1Gb but it can only traffic shape at 350Mb. Plus there has been very little firmware updates, wireguard should be mainline by now.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I just know for my AC-Lite at home I was about to setup a unifi controller docker on an rpi and eventually said gently caress it and flashed OpenWRT on the AC-Lite instead, and couldn't be happier. Would recommend for anybody who's only running a couple access points and doesn't need the whole unifi 'ecosystem'.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a docker on my unraid for the ubiquiti monitoring on my couple AC-Lites and it's pretty neato.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

I just know for my AC-Lite at home I was about to setup a unifi controller docker on an rpi and eventually said gently caress it and flashed OpenWRT on the AC-Lite instead, and couldn't be happier. Would recommend for anybody who's only running a couple access points and doesn't need the whole unifi 'ecosystem'.

I did the same because I have only one AP and OpenWRT is pretty solid on the AC Lite hardware. It gained WPA3 capability with the upgrade too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wish I had the money to play around with TP-Links Omada series of routers, switches, and access points - I keep hearing good things about it, to the point that it seems to be what Ubiquiti used to be.

Case in point, it's centrally managed by a piece of software that can be hosted on any Unix-like (because it's Java :sigh:) and the hardware is cheap yet lets you do a ton of stuff with it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

SamDabbers posted:

I did the same because I have only one AP and OpenWRT is pretty solid on the AC Lite hardware. It gained WPA3 capability with the upgrade too.

OpenWRT also works on the old 802.11n models which current versions of the UniFi controller aren't even willing to adopt anymore. You're pretty limited in what you can do with a single-core 400Mhz processor, a 10/100 port, and 8MB flash/64MB RAM, but the UAP-LR only uses about 3W from what I've seen so it's perfect if you just need a 2.4GHz network for some IoT stuff.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I wish I had the money to play around with TP-Links Omada series of routers, switches, and access points - I keep hearing good things about it, to the point that it seems to be what Ubiquiti used to be.

Case in point, it's centrally managed by a piece of software that can be hosted on any Unix-like (because it's Java :sigh:) and the hardware is cheap yet lets you do a ton of stuff with it.

I have two Omada APs and very much like them; they've been super solid. I still have an ER-X for routing but might switch that out at some point.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

My assumption about the M-lab one is you did them back to back.

So the M-lab one failed because it was last in the chain, and you got passed the burst. Or M-lab uses a larger sustained upload test which would trigger the issue.

I had tried the speed tests time apart, or on their own. The new router didn't work, but another round of googling found what the issue was.

It's an issue with IPv6 and Intel Ethernet Controllers (as described here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19174/disabling-tcp-ipv6-checksum-offload-capability-with-intel-1-10-gbe-controllers.html)

Two fixes: Turn off checksum for IPv6 on the Ethernet Controller on the computer, or turn off IPv6 on the router.

Reddit thread about the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fios/comments/v1ttcl/router_firmware_update_31117_causing_massive/

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 31, 2022

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Pointless question: has anyone ever had an ethernet cable work with one device but not another? There's a 3m CAT6 run between my PC and router. I replaced the router and started having random disconnections from the network; this problem has been resolved by replacing the cable as well. Obviously a minor inconvenience but I've never seen it before.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Cables do die. Especially if it was hand made out of leftover solid-core wire (meant for permanent install) - or purchased as such. But even stranded interconnects can fail, I'd just chalk it up to a bad cable if the replacement works fine.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
hi should i get TP Link

AC4000
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC4000-Band-WiFi-Router/dp/B07F1YB5LX on seems like good sale, seems like better specs
or
AX3000
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AX3000-Router-Archer-AX55/dp/B09G5W9R6R

Apartment, one story, concrete walls, would like to not use repeater or range booster

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

OpenWRT also works on the old 802.11n models which current versions of the UniFi controller aren't even willing to adopt anymore. You're pretty limited in what you can do with a single-core 400Mhz processor, a 10/100 port, and 8MB flash/64MB RAM, but the UAP-LR only uses about 3W from what I've seen so it's perfect if you just need a 2.4GHz network for some IoT stuff.

No poo poo? I need to look into this. I have one of those in the basement :v:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Cyks posted:

A $15k switch connected to a $60 edgerouter x...
That's one hell of a switch to score from work.

It is end of life - solid device but end of software maintenance in October , if bugs or security issues are a concern.

There’s a UPoE variant that also has .3bz mgig on 12 ports that would be a cool lab device if you can spare the power and noise .

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

paul_soccer12 posted:

hi should i get TP Link

AC4000
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC4000-Band-WiFi-Router/dp/B07F1YB5LX on seems like good sale, seems like better specs
or
AX3000

Apartment, one story, concrete walls, would like to not use repeater or range booster

This is a great example of the topline bandwidth number for a lot of these devices being kinda bullshit. If you look at the description of the AC4000 you see "AC4000 tri-band WiFi delivers up to 1625 Mbps on each 5 GHz band and 750 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band". They say 'each' because this router has two 5GHz radios and can run them on two separate channels. If you have a lot of 5GHz clients, you can split them up and there won't be as much contention for airtime. But... for a single client, this doesn't do anything that a single radio wouldn't. You probably wouldn't see a performance difference between these with just a few clients.

Also, repeaters/extenders/range boosters are more for scenarios where you need extra reach to get to a client far from the base station. In this case your fundamental problem is that getting a signal through a masonry wall is hard, so a repeater probably won't do a lot of good.

Wibla posted:

No poo poo? I need to look into this. I have one of those in the basement :v:

https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifi_ap

It works, but note that you may need a TTL serial adapter to flash the device through the recovery process if you're running a recent release since Ubiquiti locked down the in-band update to not allow 3rd-party images. Also a random tip - if you get to the serial console and your AP spits out a bunch of gibberish instead of a usable prompt, it might be that your PoE injector is dying and causing a brownout. Ask me how I know! :D

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 1, 2022

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Partycat posted:

It is end of life - solid device but end of software maintenance in October , if bugs or security issues are a concern.

There’s a UPoE variant that also has .3bz mgig on 12 ports that would be a cool lab device if you can spare the power and noise .

Can’t believe it’s been that long since the EOL was announced but the years have been flying by. Looks like you have until Oct 31 2023 at least. The most recent precious job still had mainly 3750Gs installed. Job -2 had a handful of the WS-C3850-12X48U but we never used the mgig for anything. I miss hospital budgets.

My current job budget is Unifi PoE switches (not even all Pro series) so the days of getting anything like that are gone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

hi should i get TP Link

AC4000
or
AX3000

I bought one of the AC4000 routers almost exactly a year ago, and it's been working well for me. What Eletriarnation said is true, and I did factor that in when I was deciding to upgrade my router. For my purposes having the two 5ghz bands has been helpful, and it has easily handled two people working from home doing video calls and such simultaneously. My ISP only gives me 400mbps, and I don't do a lot of in-home networking, so even the 750mbps on 2.4ghz is significant overkill.

Also, you need to have the right hardware on the client to hit the highest 5ghz speeds - even my more recent wireless hardware can only hit 867mbps, tops. I don't think I own anything using AX yet, but have a lot of AC, so went with the AC router.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Partycat posted:

I bought one for <$1k before prices went nutty.
code:
Te1/0/37  AP1                connected    trunk      a-full a-5000 100/1000/2.5G/5G/10GBaseTX
Te1/0/39  AP2                connected    trunk      a-full a-5000 100/1000/2.5G/5G/10GBaseTX
Te1/0/41  AP3                connected    trunk      a-full a-5000 100/1000/2.5G/5G/10GBaseTX
Te1/0/43  AP4                connected    trunk      a-full a-5000 100/1000/2.5G/5G/10GBaseTX
Te1/0/45  5950x Desktop      connected    10         a-full a-2500 100/1000/2.5G/5G/10GBaseTX
Te1/0/47  Server             connected    trunk      a-full  a-10G 100/1000/2.5G/5G/10GBaseTX
Te1/0/48  fw                 connected    trunk      a-full a-1000 100/1000/2.5G/5G/10GBaseTX
:smug:

Don't pay for mgig though for APs, makes approx. zero difference unless you have 20 people in your house.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is there an affordable unmanaged, 8 port switch that can do more than 1gbps per port? Something under $200

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

As in 2.5gbe? Trendnet TEG-S380. $170.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Looking for some advice on wireless solutions for my new home, which is much larger than my last and sits on some acreage (that I don't expect to cover it all, but the more the merrier as we don't have great cell service out here). Currently using an Asus 1200 AC that I bought from Newegg at least 5 years ago for less than $100. It has decent backend UI, but has clearly become the speed bottleneck of my very decent fiber connection from a local ISP.

Not trying to break the bank, but I'm willing to invest in something modern that will last me a while. I've read the newest specs can support more devices which is where I feel like my current setup is falling short

A mesh solution seems to make a lot of sense, I just can't seem to pinpoint the right one. I've bought enough of the google home crap that part of me feels like I should buy their stuff for compatibility, but I've also bought enough google hardware to feel like I'm going to feel incredibly frustrated with it in the long term.

I've had bad experiences with TP-Link products, and a coworker strongly recommended Ubiquity as a brand but I've had a hard time pulling the trigger because I can't figure out what solutions would best work for my home. From what little I've read in this thread, it sounds like the consensus would disagree with the Ubiquity recommendation?

I expect to need a central hub and 3 additional access points (I've got a 2000+ sqft home plus a shop and a barn). Might be interested in a central switch as well so I can actually have a network instead of the setup I put together whilst a poor college kid and have taken between rentals.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can I please get a quick sanity check on the following devices:

TP Link EAP610
TP Link TL-SG2216

Will be to replace a Ubiquiti UAP + POE injector. Will be hooked up to a ER-X for routing.

Will those devices be OK? I assume that switch will power that AP OK?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Red_Fred posted:

TP Link EAP610
TP Link TL-SG2216

Will be to replace a Ubiquiti UAP + POE injector. Will be hooked up to a ER-X for routing.

This is mostly the same setup I have minus the big managed switch. If all you need is PoE to power the AP, there are less expensive options that will work fine. But yeah, what you've described should work as well.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Red_Fred posted:

TP Link EAP610
TP Link TL-SG2216

The TL-SG2216 in an end of life, non-PoE switch. Are you sure that's the model you meant? If you just need a PoE switch, you should be looking at the TL-SG105PE. Also the ER-X does PoE passthrough, so it may be able to power your UAP instead of using an injector.
I've had the EAP610 since it became available at launch in March.

Pros:
1) Readily available.
2) Can be configured from a web GUI. No controller required.
3) Wall AC adapter included in price.

Cons:
1) This thing is MASSIVE. At least 3 times the size of a a comparable unifi switch, and it would be an eyesore if it was ceiling mounted in a house. They released a v2 two months later in May that is smaller but costs $10 more at amazon.
610v1 dimensions: 9.57 x 9.57 x 2.52 inches
610v2 dimensions: ‎6.3 x 6.3 x 1.32 inches
2) I've had unplug/plug it back in three times since I've got it as the unit just stopped passing traffic. Not a big deal for home use but that is pretty unreliable for an AP. Had quite a few instances when the web GUI took multiple tries to respond to https requests.
3) No DFS support on the US Firmware. Similar APs in this range support it.

In my experience with the EAP610 and Unifi APs, if I were to buy something today, I'd go with the U6-Lite-US.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

just a kazoo posted:

I've had bad experiences with TP-Link products, and a coworker strongly recommended Ubiquity as a brand but I've had a hard time pulling the trigger because I can't figure out what solutions would best work for my home. From what little I've read in this thread, it sounds like the consensus would disagree with the Ubiquity recommendation?

As far as just the APs go, I don't think Ubiquiti is a bad choice personally. I used a UAP-AC-Lite in my shed and a UAP-AC-Pro in my house for a year or two and only switched recently because I wanted to try out a couple of Cisco APs I got from work instead. If I hadn't done that, I'd be checking out the U6 Lite and Pro models. Ubiquiti managed switches are a little expensive for my taste but I haven't heard there's anything wrong with how they work.

I don't have any experience with mesh solutions personally so it's hard for me to provide a recommendation if you were going to go in that direction, but your described situation of having a lot of open area to cover definitely fits with that if you don't want to run a bunch of cable.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 5, 2022

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Eletriarnation posted:

As far as just the APs go, I don't think Ubiquiti is a bad choice personally. I used a UAP-AC-Lite in my shed and a UAP-AC-Pro in my house for a year or two and only switched recently because I wanted to try out a couple of Cisco APs I got from work instead. If I hadn't done that, I'd be checking out the U6 Lite and Pro models. Ubiquiti managed switches are a little expensive for my taste but I haven't heard there's anything wrong with how they work.

I don't have any experience with mesh solutions personally so it's hard for me to provide a recommendation if you were going to go in that direction, but your described situation of having a lot of open area to cover definitely fits with that if you don't want to run a bunch of cable.

I dug a huge trench earlier this year (primarily to run power to the barn) with the intention of running cat 6 cable along with it, but shipping delays meant that it arrived one day after I had to have it filled in already :frogdunce:

If anyone wants to buy 500 ft of underground rated cat 6 cable just lmk I'll give you a deal.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Beef Of Ages posted:

This is mostly the same setup I have minus the big managed switch. If all you need is PoE to power the AP, there are less expensive options that will work fine. But yeah, what you've described should work as well.

Cyks posted:

The TL-SG2216 in an end of life, non-PoE switch. Are you sure that's the model you meant? If you just need a PoE switch, you should be looking at the TL-SG105PE. Also the ER-X does PoE passthrough, so it may be able to power your UAP instead of using an injector.
I've had the EAP610 since it became available at launch in March.

Pros:
1) Readily available.
2) Can be configured from a web GUI. No controller required.
3) Wall AC adapter included in price.

Cons:
1) This thing is MASSIVE. At least 3 times the size of a a comparable unifi switch, and it would be an eyesore if it was ceiling mounted in a house. They released a v2 two months later in May that is smaller but costs $10 more at amazon.
610v1 dimensions: 9.57 x 9.57 x 2.52 inches
610v2 dimensions: ‎6.3 x 6.3 x 1.32 inches
2) I've had unplug/plug it back in three times since I've got it as the unit just stopped passing traffic. Not a big deal for home use but that is pretty unreliable for an AP. Had quite a few instances when the web GUI took multiple tries to respond to https requests.
3) No DFS support on the US Firmware. Similar APs in this range support it.

In my experience with the EAP610 and Unifi APs, if I were to buy something today, I'd go with the U6-Lite-US.

Whoops I think I’ve put the wrong switch. I just need an 8-10 port managed switch with POE. I only need POE for max 3 ports. Smaller in size is better as it will go into a media stand thing. Any suggestions?

I don’t really need managed but had a plan to setup some vlans down the track so figured why not if it will act like a dumb switch unless configured.

Edit: looks like the TL-SG108PE should work for me?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 6, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

so I'm pretty grumpy, my wndr4300 router suddenly stopped working, the LAN works fine but the radios stopped working (either they don't show up or fail with weird errors like the pw being wrong, which is wrong, or they don't show up at all, and the actual routing stopped working)

I want at least the same strength/features router or better, should any dual band router do at this point? I know it was quite old but it has been rock solid until now

I flashed it with ddwrt years ago, and even tried upgrading it to the latest patch for it (2019 from 2013, which didn't fix anything) and even factory resetting. what a lameo

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

so I'm pretty grumpy, my wndr4300 router suddenly stopped working, the LAN works fine but the radios stopped working (either they don't show up or fail with weird errors like the pw being wrong, which is wrong, or they don't show up at all, and the actual routing stopped working)

Your old unsupported router may have gotten compromised https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/WNDR4300-Remote-management-vulnerability/td-p/1222230

Yeah any router will work better than your old one, just keep it updated.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Inept posted:

Your old unsupported router may have gotten compromised https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/WNDR4300-Remote-management-vulnerability/td-p/1222230

Yeah any router will work better than your old one, just keep it updated.

I doubt that, but I have had this for about a decade, anyways, it's been using ddrwrt all that time and uses a custom long pw and didn't work even with factory reset and upgrading the fw

edit: I noticed that the wifi kept dropping suddenly, and the control panel said the router was at 100% cpu usage, so I closed some stuff down, reconnected to the wifi, and then it failed again, and after some troubleshooting it just stopped working period.

I went ahead and ordered a Linksys EA7430 since that seemed the best router in stock locally for the price.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 6, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I doubt that, but I have had this for about a decade, anyways, it's been using ddrwrt all that time and uses a custom long pw and didn't work even with factory reset and upgrading the fw

edit: I noticed that the wifi kept dropping suddenly, and the control panel said the router was at 100% cpu usage, so I closed some stuff down, reconnected to the wifi, and then it failed again, and after some troubleshooting it just stopped working period.

I went ahead and ordered a Linksys EA7430 since that seemed the best router in stock locally for the price.

After a decade it could be some hardware failure or maybe just the wall wart. Probably time to upgrade anyway.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want at least the same strength/features router or better, should any dual band router do at this point? I know it was quite old but it has been rock solid until now

I flashed it with ddwrt years ago, and even tried upgrading it to the latest patch for it (2019 from 2013, which didn't fix anything) and even factory resetting. what a lameo

Jesus, an N750, that's almost as bad as a WRT54G in 2022. N750 was what, 2010? 2012? At least a decade old.

edit: 2011. https://www.pcworld.com/article/499853/netgear_woos_home_users_with_speed_power_and_powerline.html

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got this EA7430

Seems like it "works" but man this web console is loving slow as poo poo, slower than my ddwrt interface on my other machine. No CFW either which is a bummer but hey it was cheap

edit: Nothing is wrong with it, but what if I wanted to get a dashboard that had more configuration details, maybe even perhaps a way to view how much bandwidth has been used locally (ideally even by IP), some charts and graphs of speed of the router's ram and cpu, etc

What kind of device would I be looking for?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 7, 2022

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is there any concerns with the Trendnet TEG-S762 6 port switch? It has 2 10g ports and 4 2.5g ports. I'm ok with the price and features, but is there any fatal flaw here that I should know about? I can't find much online which is concerning.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The QNAP QSW-2104-2T is the same thing but cheaper.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That one looks good but I can't seem to find it in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Got this EA7430

Seems like it "works" but man this web console is loving slow as poo poo, slower than my ddwrt interface on my other machine. No CFW either which is a bummer but hey it was cheap

edit: Nothing is wrong with it, but what if I wanted to get a dashboard that had more configuration details, maybe even perhaps a way to view how much bandwidth has been used locally (ideally even by IP), some charts and graphs of speed of the router's ram and cpu, etc

What kind of device would I be looking for?

If you want the ability to install custom firmware, this Netgear has OpenWRT support coming in the next release (you can install it now from the pull request, though - see this thread) and supports 802.11ax. You can use the Table of Hardware page to see other recent models with support, but this one was unusually cheap and works great for me.